Goodbye Jesus

Excuses For God

jackbauer

Nowadays I am telling theists god is real but only in their (collective) minds. He/it is eternal as he/it is passed down generation to generation.

I also tell them, atheists hold their god(s) to a higher standard than they do.

The atheist god will need no apologetics, theologians et al. It would speak for itself. There would be only one sect and one doctrine. Of course this god does not exist but was the one we were all looking for before we decided it was all crap. The theist's god(s) are all to human in nature to be taken seriously.

Or am I missing something?

• Like 3

"You have hardened your heart! You have to let Jesus in to soften your heart!"

What, so God not proving himself to me is MY fault?

I've also heard "God has hardened your heart" which is even crazier. My guess is this comes from Calvinists who believe in limited atonment and god's sovergnty. Yet somehow, it's still our fault and God is justified in punishing us for it. What kind of kooky logic is that?

London is right, there's a lot of cognitive dissonance with Christians. I started a thread on the confusing and contradictory nature of Christianity.

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/50203-the-confusing-nature-of-christianity/

One more I've heard is that if God were to reveal himself we still wouldn't believe. WTF? If God revealed himself I'd have all the reason to believe. Just another example of Christians trying to read the minds of unbelievers based on select bible verses.

"He allows us to CHOOSE Hell; it is a matter of free will"

This - the most often used excuse for God I have heard. Free Will. Whole problem of evil solved. I can't understand why so many otherwise intelligent people think this is persuasive.

"You have hardened your heart! You have to let Jesus in to soften your heart!"

What, so God not proving himself to me is MY fault?

Another version of free will. There are so many.

One more I've heard is that if God were to reveal himself we still wouldn't believe. WTF? If God revealed himself I'd have all the reason to believe.

I hate that one. You would think God would know exactly what it would take to make me believe, since he knit me in the womb and knew me before I was born, and yadda yadda yadda...

And I've also had people tell me how Jesus did his miracles reluctantly and complained about how "this generation" (meaning his own generation) needs signs and wonders to believe. Well, duh. Of course they do. Why should anyone believe that you're God unless you're able to do godlike things? You think you can just walk into a room and say, "Hey, everyone! Worship me! I'm God incarnate!" and expect everyone to just believe you without question? Why would you bitch and moan about how people need signs, when your "father" created them that way? Jesus was a great teacher, my ass. He had no understanding of humans whatsoever.

Nowadays I am telling theists god is real but only in their (collective) minds. He/it is eternal as he/it is passed down generation to generation.

I also tell them, atheists hold their god(s) to a higher standard than they do.

The atheist god will need no apologetics, theologians et al. It would speak for itself. There would be only one sect and one doctrine. Of course this god does not exist but was the one we were all looking for before we decided it was all crap. The theist's god(s) are all to human in nature to be taken seriously.

Or am I missing something?

Nope, I don't think you're missing anything at all.

I do find the term 'apologetics' curiously apt - seems there's plenty for theists to apologise for on behalf of their supposedly all-good and all-powerful god.

• Like 1

and why does a god who is so self-evident require entire disciplines devoted to his defence, i.e. apologetics, heremeneutics....

• Like 2

God is an excuse for everything. My niece couldn't get pregnant for years. Still she believed God wanted her to be a mother. Then she finally was pregnant, God heard her prayer. She lost her child after 24 weeks of pregnancy, hurt her really bad.. But God was confirming to her with this that she was going to get a baby (don't ask me why God had to kill the first one first) Took her awhile to get pregnant again, this time her body terminated the child 16 weeks in. Mean voice in my head telling me God was telling her she is not supposed to get children. Her interpretation: God wants her to have children through adoption. *sigh*
Again this pisses me off. I am so sorry for your niece and can't even imagine losing a child after wanting one so badly.

This is one of the things that enrages me the most today -- people interpreting perfectly natural events as signs from the Almighty. Whether it's on a personal scale with tragedies like miscarriage or a grand, public scale like politicians who find a message in storms or earthquakes.

This was one of the main reasons I left Christianity - it got tiresome having to make excuses for God all the time. It's like making excuses for an abusive spouse.

• Like 1

This was one of the main reasons I left Christianity - it got tiresome having to make excuses for God all the time. It's like making excuses for an abusive spouse.

1000% true.

"He only hits me when I deserve it. He really does love me."

Isn't the verse something like..."I chastise those I love" if that's the case then Christianity was invented by a sadist who has a bunch of masochists as followers....which in the end is a big insult to the BDSM community.....

Maybe someone can help me out, speaking of free will.... I was thinking that one of the main arguments christians use is free will based on the assumption that if God revealed himself to us, we would have no choice but to believe. However, I distinctly remember a verse in the Bible, which I can't find for the life of me, that says that even if God revealed himself, some would still not follow him, which obviously implies that we would still have free will. Anyone know the verse?

1000% true.

You got it!

I'll wait to see if anyone minds if I go any further here- not trying to derail the original topic.

Maybe it's just me but I think you are on topic. Remember jesus=god, they are the same thing.

Fire away sister!!

1000% true.

This was my first deliberate step away from God: I stopped defending him. It was all downhill from there and I finally have peace.

It is so comforting to know so many of us had the same experience and thoughts on this! :-)

• Like 1

Catholics' favorate excuse: "God will fully reveal himself to you in Heaven, you just have to suffer and believe during this very short time that is your life on earth, then you will be with him for Eternity."

I couldn't wait to die to see God.

I love all of these you guys are posting! yellow.gif

I would say the majority of gawd's excuses (for me) have already been stated, the number one being:

"It's God's Will" I FUCKING hate hearing that more than anything else!!

I've only read the first page and a half, this may have been stated and I just haven't read it yet, but this one

always fucked with me: (this may seem off topic but bear with me)

Why all the bad shit happens: "This is Satan's world"

Me: Oh, so God can't do anything about it?

Xian: Oh, He will but it will only happen after the rapture

W.T.F

Heard this yesterday...."God keeps us from harm...." Uh yeah....no.

God's just mysterious. (This is code for, "I realize I just lost the argument, so I'll toss this one out there to try to distract you since there is no argument against it.")

His ways are so beyond our understanding that he couldn't even make his actions make sense to us if he wanted to, because our brains just couldn't handle it.

This is what my Mom says, it drives me crazy!!!!

Guest Valk0010

Appeal to authority masked in saying, gods ways are higher then our own.

Arguement from ignorance and adhoc and appeal to ignorance in saying, gods ways are mysterious.

One more I've heard is that if God were to reveal himself we still wouldn't believe. WTF? If God revealed himself I'd have all the reason to believe. Just another example of Christians trying to read the minds of unbelievers based on select bible verses.

"If" is a supposition only, but xians are used to basing their lives on supposition.