Goodbye Jesus

Anyone From A Gospel Hall?

RubyHypatia

They're otherwise known as Brethren. I grew up in this type of church, though they didn't call it a church as all christians made up the church. The women wore hats to the services. There were no pasters. The men took turns preaching. There were no musical intruments played along with the singing. Women had to have long hair and no make up. Once I grew up I became more of a Baptist. It actually felt somewhat liberating.

They're otherwise known as Brethren. I grew up in this type of church, though they didn't call it a church as all christians made up the church. The women wore hats to the services. There were no pasters. The men took turns preaching. There were no musical intruments played along with the singing. Women had to have long hair and no make up. Once I grew up I became more of a Baptist. It actually felt somewhat liberating.

yes, i was. it was my favorite church before getting disillusioned. the singing was very boring though. and having to face people in a circle for the whole meeting was a strain, but i loved some aspects of it. i think the hymn singing is boring in most churches, except where they sing in parts. i would have liked that.

...yes, I was raised as one too! We were Open Brethren. They are a little more relaxed than the Closed Brethren. It was still pretty much as you describe in our church. Very fundamentalist! Hell fire sermons every Sunday night in our case! Breaking of bread on Sunday morning. Ministry night was Wednesday night. Total wasted years!!!

None of the men who preached were formally trained in either pulic speaking or in the Bible. They just had to teach themselves I guess. The preaching was boring and repetitive. Yep, definitely a waste of my time.