Goodbye Jesus

Church Of Christ Vs. Pentecostals

Neon Genesis

Choosing between the Church Of Christ and the Pentecostals, which one do you think is more insane? Because I honestly can't decide myself. On the one hand, the Pentecostals honestly scare me with their speaking in tongues crap and the laying of hands thing just looks creepy. On the other hand, the COC believes they're the one true church established on the day of Pentecost and even other fundies are going to hell for not worshiping God correctly. They also make too big of a deal over small petty things like whether or not it's a sin to have kitchens in your church and even some COC congregations will condemn other COC congregations just for having praise teams in their worship services. So, which one do you think is more insane?

Confusionus say: insanity like pregnancy, you either are or you ain't.

I voted Pentecostals. That babbling they do is just freaky.

Can you add a "They both suck" option?

Church of Christ - they are convinced that ONLY THEY have the absolute, 100% truth and are very arrogant about it.

As former AoG, I'm going Pentecostal. I may come from the more "liberal" of Pentecostal denoms, but we were definitely a freaky, insane bunch. Try as a girl not being allowed wear pants, makeup, or jewelry until you're married - and then if your husband wants you to dress like a whore because it gets him off; you have to, because he's your husband and you must submit.

There are other freakier things, but that's I think a nice taste of the insanity.

I have to admit I don't know much about the Church of Christ. What's their claim to fame? I was a pentecostal so I know all about that, but without knowing Chruch of Christ's doctrine it's had to cast any vote...

What? No nekkid "Best Of" choices?

kL

I am an apostate minister from the one true church, COC. That's right I'm a TrueApostate™. If you are not from the COC, you are not a TrueApostate™. :moon:

I had to go with Pentecostals. As a former COC (well, COC in the sense that if a cow is born in a tree it's a bird), I know how stupid their doctrine is (i.e. it is a sin to drink, dance, or have fun), but the Pentecostals always come across as being very immature and, quite frankly, childish. At least COC worship doesn't wind up making them look like fools dancing around madly.

Guest danny64

former c of c'ers unite! not really, but what was the question? oh, which is more insane. well, i like the question. my best bud was a holy roller and guitar player for jebus. i was a c of c song leader. we both became atheist and started a band. now im the lead singer and rhythm player, he is the lead guitar player. so...what was my point? ioh, well, his church taught him to be one hell of a guitar player and mine taught me to sing. now we play the devil's music for screaming drunken bar crowds. thank god for church music! the funny thing about church of christers is that (i believe) they are about as close to atheist as a believer can be. no spirit gettin', no miracles (since the ones in the bible), no holy days, no healin'... i would call them the anti'church church. i have to vote that the holy rollers are crazier, but its at least an amusing crazy. c of c is just boring arrogance. i aint no holy roller, so i just use a bong.

Gotta go with Pentecostal on this. I am a former Pentecostal and know their insanity first hand. I believe the CoC's insanity is just the standard Christian insanity magnified a few times.

Imagine this, being only accustomed to the CoC worship style and then being thrust into the Pentecostal worship style; that is one system shock since the two are polar opposites.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted Pentacostals some of their churches look like a insane asylum on sundays and some churches handle snakes and drink poison.

Church of Christ is insane too with their everything that's fun is a sin philosophy.

But decided pentacostals look crazier

Hell if I know, I came from the tradition of sit-stand-kneel-sit-stand-kneel. Of course, if you couldn't eat meat on a Friday, then you must come from an insane branch of the faith.

Sounds to me like both branches described here have some interesting caveats to go with them. I have to abstain though since I came from neither tradition.

Is COC the same as AOG? A long time ago I toured all the different churches, mostly for my own education. I found, here in FL, that Ass of God was probably more wacked out then pentacostals... But it might just be the differences of the two churches here in my town, and I have only been to one each, one time, so I am certainly not an authority on the subject.

IMO they both are actually somewhat helpful. Why? Because they can wake up people to how insane religion can actually be. They actually help wake people up from religion by demonstrating how utterly insane extremeism is. I would wager many have left religion due to this maddness. It's like a classroom where you learn just how retarded extremism is. Just like snake handlers, poision drinkers, they help people with at least a 3 digit IQ see just how stupid it can be...

Church of God is like Ass of God.

Church of Christ is not like Ass of God.

Atleast in my town anyway.

I don't understand how the snake handeling churches keep members you'd think about so many ended up in the hospital people would think they are nuts.

Church of Christ. Was forced to go to one for 4 years. The things they'd do are insane. Unless you were baptized into their church, you were going to hell. Don't even get me started on the No instruments in church thing. :Hmm: Wasn't allowed to listen to any secular music. Any friends who weren't in youth were a bad influence. Work ethic was compared to godliness. Church scandals, as always, were swept under the rug. My houseparent's mother, who was the wife of an elder died, and not a month later he was married to someone else. My houseparent never liked that woman, but for the "good of the church" she left it be.

Is COC the same as AOG?

AOG=Assembly of God? If so, then hell no. the Church of Christ is the polar opposite of Assembly of God, but they have the same "If you're not one of use, then you're going to hell" doctrine. The Church of Christ hates to be compared to any other sect, because "they are the one true church."

I was in a CoC church for a few years, who actually had a gym or "family center" used for potlucks and such and another more fundy CoC across town knew about it and totally unloaded on them. They cited it was unbiblical and should only have a worship sanctuary, so they send rebuking letters and boycotted them. Don't you just love Fundys? Also, CoC believes that is a baby dies, it goes to hell. Crazy people indeed! I think both have some insanity, but that experience for me topped the cake.

As a former Pentecostal-er I can honestly tell you that they're nucking futs.

I had to go with Pentecostals. As a former COC (well, COC in the sense that if a cow is born in a tree it's a bird), I know how stupid their doctrine is (i.e. it is a sin to drink, dance, or have fun), but the Pentecostals always come across as being very immature and, quite frankly, childish. At least COC worship doesn't wind up making them look like fools dancing around madly.

Ophelia and CoC sittin´ in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G! :moon:

That´s right, I was a pentecostal! :grin:

... Also, CoC believes that is a baby dies, it goes to hell. Crazy people indeed! I think both have some insanity, but that experience for me topped the cake.

Interesting, I've never heard this of CoC. But then every congregation is its own sect.

My doctrinal training taught age of accountability, meaning you were safe to a certain age that nobody really could pin down. We didn't encourage children to be immersed before age 7 and we didn't really start worrying about them until 12 or 13.

We were the OneTrueChurch™. Just like the Immortals, there can be only one!

I also believed in the age of accountability but looking back, I don't remember them ever having a single set age.

Assemblies of God is a pentecostal denomination, in case you didn't know that.

My vote goes with the Pentecostals/Charismatics, particularly the ones who are all into that spiritual warfare demon hunting shit, which nearly drove me fucking insane and haunts me to this fucking day.