Goodbye Jesus

Apostasy And Liberal/mainline Christianity

Vomit Comet

I've been going through existing research literature on apostasy. (I'll have a nice fat juicy literature review for y'all to read in a few months. But I'm doing it for my own professional purposes, just so you know.) Over and over and over again, it is stated that the rates of apostasy are much, much higher for liberal/mainline Protestantism than they are for "conservative Protestants" or for Catholics. Although from what I've seen so far, the definition of "apostasy" is fuzzy, and often doesn't capture the intensive "deconversion" experiences commonly detailed here. Much of the time, apostasy describes someone who just kind of slowly drifted out. More "meh, whatever" than "oh fuck, I'm going to hell now! Oh fuck oh fuck!!!!"

But anyways, that liberal/mainline churches have much higher rates of apostasy is a finding that has been consistently found to be the case ever since the late 70s when it first came to light. The latest data everyone is raving about only further confirms this: we're not growing less religious as a country, we're growing more polarized! Atheists and agnostics are growing, rather than declining the fundies are either holding on or growing in places, and the liberal/mainline churches are just disappearing. (In fact, that may be a big reason why the non/anti-religious ranks are growing!) The moderate center is falling out, basically. Rough times ahead, so don't rest on your laurels just yet!

So anyways, we're interested in ex-Christianity here. So... answer the poll!

Aw shit, I fucked up. :banghead:

Could one of you mods add "I did not deconvert from mainline/liberal Christianity" as an option under the third question? Thanks very much. :)