Goodbye Jesus

Wayne Dyer

PandaPirate

For the most part I think he's harmless, but there are some things that he says that really bothers me.

He wrote the book called, "Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life," which uses the TAO as its focus. It's merely a repackaging of Norman Vincent Peale's, "The Power of Positive Thinking," using Taoism as its philosophy rather than Christianity.

Dyer says there is "no enemy" yet, I disagree. I've read The Art of War and I think unless we know how to respond to adversity (and no one can deny that life is full of it), we're just floating along pretending that nothing bad exists in life.

Dyer says, "Everything is perfect" and "is as it should be" and nothing is good or bad...it just is.

This sounds great...until I analyze it. Would it be "perfect" if my legs were amputated and I starved to death while being raped by Gorillas in the wilderness? I mean, let's face it...shit happens. Life isn't always easy or fair and I feel like Dyer makes it seem like life should be wonderful, fair and effortless. Easy to say when you live on an island in Hawaii and you're filthy rich.

I think he's like my Brownie Preacher. Slightly out of touch with reality.

Not to mention that he doesn't take into account that some people have brain chemistry problems.

• Super Moderator

He's a really nice guy but he's filthy rich and best friends with Deepak so I expect him to be a bit removed from reality, but he means well. I like and respect him as a person.

He said on Oprah that he gave everything away for a year once and studied the Tao.

My impression is that he is one of those gurus to the already self indulgent upper middle class, rich and those lower middle class that don't yet realize they aren't upper middle class.

He's found a lucrative niche. And , who knows, maybe his stuff works. Maybe somebody will listen to his words and be the better for it.

But my impression is that he's just the latest guru to those who are already privileged but don't know how to enjoy life.

My impression is that he is one of those gurus to the already self indulgent upper middle class, rich and those lower middle class that don't yet realize they aren't upper middle class.

He's found a lucrative niche. And , who knows, maybe his stuff works. Maybe somebody will listen to his words and be the better for it.

But my impression is that he's just the latest guru to those who are already privileged but don't know how to enjoy life.

He is a self admitted ex-alcoholic and rage-aholic. He was also raised in an orphanage, so he wasn't always priveledged. I think he was lucky enough to publish a book and get rich. Then, he published more books after becoming friends with Deepak. None of his ideas are original and I think they're a little sappy.

I want to hate him, but I can't. Because he seems very nice.

He's a really nice guy but he's filthy rich and best friends with Deepak so I expect him to be a bit removed from reality, but he means well. I like and respect him as a person.

He also has Deepak's hugely marketable talent for talking for hours without actually saying anything.

He also has Deepak's hugely marketable talent for talking for hours without actually saying anything.

And for turning Quantum Physics into religion. And for quoting a lot of dead people.

Although he "quotes a lot of dead people." The thing I don't like about Dyer is that he uses a lot of other people's ideas, J. Krishnamurti for example, and doesn't credit them. In other words, not enough quoting. Some years ago I used to see him on TV from time to time. Now I would rather go to the original source.

Oh, par, do you know how to say anything unfunny? You crack me up!

P

Although he "quotes a lot of dead people." The thing I don't like about Dyer is that he uses a lot of other people's ideas, J. Krishnamurti for example, and doesn't credit them. In other words, not enough quoting. Some years ago I used to see him on TV from time to time. Now I would rather go to the original source.

Covey does that, too. No sources.

P

Exactly! On Oprah's XM show I watched the other day, he used Fred Hoyle's Boeing 747 analogy and made it his own.

He wrote the book called, "Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life," which uses the TAO as its focus. It's merely a repackaging of Norman Vincent Peale's,"The Power of Positive Thinking," using Taoism as its philosophy rather than Christianity.

Dyer says there is "no enemy" yet, I disagree. I've read The Art of War and I think unless we know how to respond to adversity (and no one can deny that life is full of it), we're just floating along pretending that nothing bad exists in life.

Dyer says, "Everything is perfect" and "is as it should be" and nothing is good or bad...it just is.

Oh, :vent: this will drive me to become a glass-is-half-full, negative cynic! And then I'd really like it too! :HaHa:

Oh and the worst part is that he uses Richard Dawkins's "MEME THEORY" to illustrate a point.

What was so bad about this?

First, he called him "Richard Dawson." Second, I don't even think he realizes Dawkins is an Atheist. Third, he clearly didn't know what a MEME was, yet he was attempting to use it to illustrate a point.

What a dumbass.

His first book, Your Erroneous Zones is totally different from his later works.