Peanut Gallery For To And Hans.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 SkipNChurch

SkipNChurch

Timely paraclete

• Super Moderator
  • 14,439 posts
  • Interests:Old Iron, Old Booze, Old Guns, Dogs, Women and Lots of Money in no particular given order.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Whatever happens, panned out

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:33 PM

Folks,

TO and Hans will be given the opportunity to duke it out in their own thread.

This thread is for ALL OTHER COMMENTARY

If an honest mistake is made I'll cut the actor some slack, however any posts in their discussion(s) will get nuked and I'll take your cookies and milk away.

What I'd like to see is a link to the particular post in which you reply to:

http://ex-christian....har.nahr/thread 12576796797898/boogereating/blah

Makes things a bit easier to follow along when the peanut shells get deep on floor.

Thanks for your participation.

kevin, peanut shell sweeper and head bottle washer,L

Support Ex-C

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation using the "Donate" button above, or click here to choose one of the recurrent patron options.

#2 freeday

freeday

Skeptic

• Believer
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:fast cars
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Very Feasible

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:52 PM

can't wait for this one, finally the heat is off of me. :phew:

i say the debate should consist of is the Quran the authority on God?
How can we, without a twitch in our conscious, limit the definition of God to the image of man, only in our selfish purpose of explaining things? How can anyone of us claim to know the “purpose” of a being that is not even corporeal?-Hansolo

Pope Urban II -"Dieu le veult!"

#3 Guest_JP_*

Guest_JP_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:11 PM

can't wait for this one, finally the heat is off of me. :phew:

i say the debate should consist of is the Quran the authority on God?

Of course you do.

#4 RHEMtron

RHEMtron

Skeptic

• 503 posts
  • Interests:-Turntablism<br />-Naturism<br />-Familyism<br />-Knowledgism<br />-Truthism
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Mr. Furley

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:25 PM

I think i like Han's topic of TO being convinced that the Quaran is true because of scientific accuracy.
[Belief is NOT the same as TRUTH]

#5 KT45

KT45

Selfishly Altruistic

• 1,239 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Nintendo Wii

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:40 PM

This one looks like a toughie!!! Best wishes to Hans!!

#6 DucorpsToo

DucorpsToo

Thinker

• 134 posts
  • Interests:Rollerskating, gymnastics
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Agnostic

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:56 AM

Wishing Hans the best!

Edited by DucorpsToo, 26 July 2006 - 01:57 AM.

IPB Image

#7 ficino

ficino

Atheist

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 3,044 posts
  • Interests:literature, philosophy, theater, opera, travel, languages, cooking, fly fishing, birding, stocks
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :atheist

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:51 AM

If the Kalam argument comes up, I'm eager to see how you guys deal with it. Go for it, dudes. Fascinating discussion, I'm all "eyes."

#8 freeday

freeday

Skeptic

• Believer
  • 588 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

an excellent response OT. can't wait to see Hans' reply.
How can we, without a twitch in our conscious, limit the definition of God to the image of man, only in our selfish purpose of explaining things? How can anyone of us claim to know the “purpose” of a being that is not even corporeal?-Hansolo

#9 Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger

Mechanical Messiah

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 10,145 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :FSM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:50 PM

OT makes several interesting arguements, but I don't see how any of them point toward any particular 'god'... or any god at all.

#10 duderonomy

duderonomy

Infidel

• 1,231 posts
  • Interests:I have to put my interests here? Get to know me, will ya? I'm not just a piece of meat.

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:22 AM

Interesting that Omni thinks that 'God is God' because we have a purpose. What purpose then? The one God gave us. Very circular logic, IMO. Outside of his Holy Book, what is our purpose? And why, outside of his Holy Book, do we need to have one at all?
He grasps at his version of a straw, because he can't just accept that we are here. There has to be a reason. Well sure there is a reason why we are here, but that doesn't mean that there has to be a 'divine' cause! One does NOT automatically follow the other.
Like most 'believers', he can't seem to separate the how from the why and examine them for what they are.

And why, as Omni stated, would God have to 'subjugate' His creation of Nature for li'l ol' us?? Couldn't He just create the thing right the first time?

A fundie by any other name, would sound as illogical.

#11 freeday

freeday

Skeptic

• Believer
  • 588 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:39 AM

Interesting that Omni thinks that 'God is God' because we have a purpose. What purpose then? The one God gave us. Very circular logic, IMO. Outside of his Holy Book, what is our purpose? And why, outside of his Holy Book, do we need to have one at all?
He grasps at his version of a straw, because he can't just accept that we are here. There has to be a reason. Well sure there is a reason why we are here, but that doesn't mean that there has to be a 'divine' cause! One does NOT automatically follow the other.
Like most 'believers', he can't seem to separate the how from the why and examine them for what they are.

And why, as Omni stated, would God have to 'subjugate' His creation of Nature for li'l ol' us?? Couldn't He just create the thing right the first time?

i think the argument always goes, if you can logically deduce that we were created, not a by product of random chance, then we were created for a purpose. this is where religion comes in, the purpose of why we are here.

#12 scotter

scotter

Skeptic

• Believer
  • 439 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Him

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:47 AM

2.2 Comment on Omni’s reply: The example of Diamond is quite a good example, but extending this example, isn’t a cubic zircona looks identical in the human eyes-of-flesh? Only a jewelry professional, or with certain instruments the cubic is identified as non-diamond. And, if you have two pieces of flashing gems, one is diamond, one is cubic, and you tell the layman about it, and somehow the cubic is less appreciated just because it is not real diamond, just because the layman knows it is not real diamond – they look as flashy as to each other in the layman’s eyes. Why is that? That is my counter-point to Omni’s example to humans appreciating the beauty of a diamond.

Cubic zircona serves a lesser purpose, serves a cheaper purpose.

On Omni’s derived argument - Humans are able to recognize the beauty of the universe – for the sake of argument (this is not to suggest I personally believe that), and no derogatory tone to Allah-Islam intended, how do you not know the Universe, this Universe that we live in, is a cubic zircona?

Even as a God believer, and I am speaking in terms of neutral third party, Omni’s response to 2.3 is less capable to cover Han’s arguments. If read as spirituality writing, the 2.3 response is good on its terms with refreshing philosophical context, Omni speaks like a Guru. Han’s academic argument is that God must be more complex than the created Universe – makes sense. For example, the computer is complex, the human brain / human mind that creates the computer is unarguably more complex than a computer.

Omni uses “God is pure and simple” to respond thus he skips Han’s follow-up questions: “That would contradict that God is the First Cause. If he appears intelligent he must be designed, or is the answer that he is Un-Designed and Un-Caused? But if so, then why can’t the Universe be Un-Designed and Un-Caused as well? Why go the extra step? Maybe the Universe is the Intelligence, and it caused itself into existence?”

God is pure and simple - that Omni mentioned this is the spiritual approach to understand God. Quote: ‘This is what "spirituality" is.’

Omni can’t go back-and-forth like that, when he presents academic arguments like Kalam theorem and uses spiritual argument to respond to 2.3. This is the Arena.

As a God believer talking to a fellow God believer: say a computer scientist who creates the computer is also a meditation practitioner, when he meditates, his mind is in a pure-and-simple state, which is also true, which is also one of the scientist’s attributes. So if a person sees God as pure-and-simple and approaches God in this way, there is nothing wrong, but if the person defines for God that God is pure-and-simple and only is, one has limited God.

#13 NotBlinded

NotBlinded

I can see!!!

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 4,397 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Mythology, Comparative Religion, Buddhism, Hinduism, Christian Mysticism, and that whole Oneness thing.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :None, in any sense of understanding.

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

I don't see a purpose to the universe any more than I see a purpose to a song or to a dance. Of course, I stole that from Alan Watts, but I happen to believe it. The purpose is life itself, IMO.
"Ultimate" reality is exactly the same as "mundane" reality. The transformative experience of the so-called mystic doesn't take us anywhere but here. In a more direct sense it's like turning on the light in a darkened living room. Doing so doesn't change the living room into the kitchen, but it does change how we are able to move through it. Rev R

#14 freeday

freeday

Skeptic

• Believer
  • 588 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:12 AM

damnit man, what a response hans, there were a couple of things i saw fault in, but overall outstanding.

#15 duderonomy

duderonomy

Infidel

• 1,231 posts
  • Interests:I have to put my interests here? Get to know me, will ya? I'm not just a piece of meat.

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:56 AM

Not to belabor the point, but...

"Even as a God believer, and I am speaking in terms of neutral third party, Omni’s response to 2.3 is less capable to cover Han’s arguments. If read as spirituality writing, the 2.3 response is good on its terms with refreshing philosophical context, Omni speaks like a Guru. Han’s academic argument is that God must be more complex than the created Universe – makes sense. For example, the computer is complex, the human brain / human mind that creates the computer is unarguably more complex than a computer."

Yet the human mind that created the computer is slower, weaker, simpler, has less memory than it's 'creation', and doesn't have instant messaging.

Hence, more pure and simple.

I'm just saying, an argument could be made...

I'm not making it, because it's full of holes. But I can see where the 'pure and simple' God thing could be believed.

Have 'we' created technology that is 'better' not 'smarter' than our own brains when it comes to calculating, estimating, reaching others far away with our thoughts, etc. etc?
I say yes.

And still, while we wait for these f*ck*ng computers to obey us, we remain supreme in that we can always pull the plug on them and go to bed.

But I don't, because I am benevolent, and full of grace.

#16 SkipNChurch

SkipNChurch

Timely paraclete

• Super Moderator
  • 14,439 posts
  • Interests:Old Iron, Old Booze, Old Guns, Dogs, Women and Lots of Money in no particular given order.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Whatever happens, panned out

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:12 AM

Christshairyballs thares a lotta words talking about myths and bedtime stories...

kFL

#17 Celsus

Celsus

Logical Meanie

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:None
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :N/A

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:59 PM

Another version of a bronze-age fairy tale told by gullible goat herders. Yawn.

#18 Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet

Zealot for the Foamylian Cult

• 1,254 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, outdoors, computers, science, chemestry, physics!
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Reality

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:40 PM

Still waiting for that second part from Omni...
IPB Image
"You talking to God is called prayer. God talking to you is called Scitzophrenia." - Taphophilia

#19 Antlerman

Antlerman

Universal Church of Humanity

• 9,865 posts
  • Interests:Music, philosophy, science, religion, life.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :What's God?

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:25 PM

Yet the human mind that created the computer is slower, weaker, simpler, has less memory than it's 'creation', and doesn't have instant messaging.

Hence, more pure and simple.

I'm just saying, an argument could be made...

What if a human could make an external universe that had the potention for self-evolution, then in time the system became higher than the creator? Maybe God lost control of his project in the Garden of Eden and has been trying to bring it back down to something he can deal with? We evolved beyond the creator, and salvation is a step backwards. Why not?

Many paths lead from the foot of the mountain,
but at the peak we all gaze at the single bright moon.

~Ikkyu - Zen-monk poet, 1394-1481

If a plant cannot live according to its nature it dies; and so a man.

~Thoureau

#20 KT45

KT45

Selfishly Altruistic

• 1,239 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Nintendo Wii

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:07 AM

I don't think Omni coming back anytime soon. It rain couldn't have killed his internet connection for this long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users