Goodbye Jesus

Why Would Anyone Be Against Christianity?

KT45

As many of you know I'm attempting to put together a frequently asked question section for the webpage. The one question that I couldn't find was "Why would anyone be against Christianity?" This is probably the most asked question on the board. Many people just say go read the testimonies but lets make it a little bit easier for them. I would like to make this topic into a Best OF...area for testimonials. I would like to place the most strongest and inspiring testimonials on this page for all to see.

It doesn't have to be only testimonials though. You can also place topics that you feel accurately answer this question. Thanks for the help.

You can post links or the whole testimonial doesn't matter.

1. Because it subjugates and perverts the teachings of the Rabbi Jesus, adding to his words, twisting them, and making them into another religion, all for the political purposes of Christianity. The most oft-quoted "book" of the NT, John, quotes Jesus AT LEAST 23 times spuriously, according to Bible Scholars.

(I'm asking these questions to help the thread grow)

1. Because it subjugates and perverts the teachings of the Rabbi Jesus, adding to his words, twisting them, and making them into another religion, all for the political purposes of Christianity. The most oft-quoted "book" of the NT, John, quotes Jesus AT LEAST 23 times spuriously, according to Bible Scholars.

Why would this cause harm to a person or society? Why try so hard to disprove it?

(I'm asking these questions to help the thread grow)

Why would this cause harm to a person or society? Why try so hard to disprove it?

OK, I'm just a little bit Lost with you now. I was answering your Title Question: "Why would anyone be against Christianity?"

Your "reply" questions confuse be just a tad bit. If you are asking "why would the perversion of Jesus' teachings cause harm to a person or society," my answer is "because it is a perverted lie of person(s) with private agenda(s)." Footnote: I believe that if Jesus was an actual, historical person, he also had a side-agenda: the retaking of Palestine. But primarily the teachings of this entity, if he existed, seem to have been for the benefit of the Jews of his personal world, who were very twisted by the leadership of both the Pharisees and the Sadducees, and especially by the Sanhedrin. I believe that Jesus, if he existed, wanted to show them how to do it. "Watch me; do as I do" would seem to me to be the best way of describing the teachings of Jesus.

I don't get the next question; please restate.

:HaHa: Sorry. I'll try to do it a little bit better. You said that christianity is bad because it twist Rabbi Jesus' message. But the main teachings of the christian dogma are about love and self-scarifice. Even if christianity is based on a lie and twisted teaching how could this cause harm to an individual who follows the religion. If there are good teaching in the book why would people want to get rid of the christian religion?

I am against Christianity and all religions or superstitions. The reality is that in the USA, Christianity's claims are given a pass on being true by the overwhelming majority of people. This results in public policy being hamstrung by beliefs which are inherently absurd and/or unsubstantiated. An example is a former Secretary of the Interior who opposed evnironmental regulations because "It doesn't matter, Jesus is coming soon and will make a new Earth". Other examples are the almost halt to stem cell research and reproductive health issues. Not to be forgotten, raising an entire generation of people who cannot distinguish proven science from mumb-jumbo.

In short, I oppose Christianity because I value truth and reality over superstition and lies. It is only by being factual that we as individuals and society can make rational decisions that impact our very survival.

Bruce

• Like 1

Because it simply doesn't make sense. If the Bible is supposed to be taken absolutely literally, then there are an awful lot of contradictions. Just an example off the top of my head, some places it says "Turn the other cheek" and then in other places it says "an eye for an eye." Another is that God is infallible, yet he created Lillith, but she wouldn't love and obey Adam, so he banished her and started over, then created Eve. Seems like a mistake to me. Another issue that I have about the Lillith story is: If God believes so strongly that his children should have free will, then why did he banish Lillith for not being willing to submit to Adam? If it all hung together, then maybe I could believe, but in my experience, anything or anybody that is that contradictory within their own teachings must be lying at some point because two opposite "truths" can't both be true, now can they?

I will hopefully attempt to answer the question.

I am not sure I am "against" the basic concept of Christianity. Let me make myself clear, I am not against the idea of loving each other and loving Deity. If it takes the idea of a God dying and rising in that old theme to do it, then maybe that is what some people need before they can learn and grow beyond that. I view Christianity as a religion who people who are spiritually children, who have not yet grown to spiritual maturity.

There are, however, many aspects of Christianity which are repugnant.

First, there is the concept that Christianity is the "one and only way". Divorcing people from the concept that Deity is of many aspects is a crime, IMHO. Forcing people to think in one restricted manner is just plain wrong. We are all unique, our approaches to spirituality should be as well... as evidenced by people here on this site.

Second, there is the concept that a woman is less than a man. While this is not an absolute, some liberal strains of Christianity aren't too bad towards women, most types seek to push women into a near-slavery first to parents and then to husbands. That oppression has caused endless pain.

Third, there is the concept that guilt and fear are a Christian's constant companions. True spiritual power is not built in a state a grovelling, it is when the person learns, and grows, and gets it about love.

There are others, but these are three things which truly anger me.

First, there is the concept that Christianity is the "one and only way". Divorcing people from the concept that Deity is of many aspects is a crime, IMHO. Forcing people to think in one restricted manner is just plain wrong. We are all unique, our approaches to spirituality should be as well... as evidenced by people here on this site.

I'd like to add to this. Not only does the one way only method harm people because they cant' think for themselves, it also makes them intolerant to other peoples beliefs. This in itself can be hurtful to many.

I can't stand against Chrisitanity or fight against it. It's an idea. Killing it isn't possible (kind of like a "War on Terrorism").

My beef is with a specific group of Christians. The ones who stand in the way of research. The ones who stand in the way of vaccines due to their so-called morality. The ones who want to make us all turn or burn (literally). The ones who supported and rallied for Eric Rudolph. Who cheer whenever a doctor who performs abortions is sniped. Who crack a smile everytime one of those damn faggots gets beaten.

I stand against the part that brings out the worst in humanity. It sets up an easy us-them dichotomy between the "Saved" and the "Damned" and makes it very for these Christians to unify themselves by dehumanizing others.

My beef is with people, not an abstract belief system.

Its exclusionist dogma has brought about oppression and outright terrorism against other religions and doctrines, such as Buddhism in Korea and Hinduism in India, both of which embrace a more tolerant worldview.

Basically I am against Christianity because it breeds intolerance.

Well, Taylork, I was going to edit my post to say something along those same lines when IE crashed on me (it does that a lot). Thanks for saying what I never got a chance to say.

Actually, Christians trying to stick their noses into politics is what got me politicaly active. While I usually don't make that terribly obvious in my political work-- I find that working silently is just as effective and much safer-- the ones I'm closer to know and understand. Then again our Chair locally is an Atheist, so he understands from his own experience.

:HaHa: Sorry. I'll try to do it a little bit better. You said that christianity is bad because it twist Rabbi Jesus' message. But the main teachings of the christian dogma are about love and self-scarifice. Even if christianity is based on a lie and twisted teaching how could this cause harm to an individual who follows the religion. If there are good teaching in the book why would people want to get rid of the christian religion?

The Christian religion is based on Paul...woman-hater, homophobe, and manipulator of the illiterate public masses. I see no love or self-sacrifice in the religion of Paul. I see lies and superstitious nonsense, the purpose of which was to set up a power base amongst the illiterati.

I am against Christianity and all religions or superstitions. The reality is that in the USA, Christianity's claims are given a pass on being true by the overwhelming majority of people. This results in public policy being hamstrung by beliefs which are inherently absurd and/or unsubstantiated. An example is a former Secretary of the Interior who opposed environmental regulations because "It doesn't matter, Jesus is coming soon and will make a new Earth". Other examples are the almost halt to stem cell research and reproductive health issues. Not to be forgotten, raising an entire generation of people who cannot distinguish proven science from mumbo-jumbo.

In short, I oppose Christianity because I value truth and reality over superstition and lies. It is only by being factual that we as individuals and society can make rational decisions that impact our very survival.

Bruce

Hear, hear! Well-done!

Because Christianity doesn't end with the Christian. The personal relationship with Jesus often turns into a crusade for Jesus.

I get along great with atheists, pantheists, agnostics, and even certain religious types like New Agers. People can believe whatever they want to believe as long as it doesn't spill over into my life.

Is it the christian that abuses the scripture or is it that the scripture is just a plain bad teacher of morals? Is christainity still bad if you ignore the bad parts.

Don't forget hell. Any deity who demands that people worship him and then threatens them with eternal torture and/or death if they don't isn't one worth worshipping.

here is another thing about christianity. It avoids giving people real solutions to their problems. I remember when I was a christian and I had a problem the common response would be "trust in the Lord, he will make a way for. He has a plan set out for you and it will come to past. Read your bible study and pray" This is only good in a sense in that it make you optimistic and be happier. But it leaves a person sitting on there @ss waiting for something to happen because they believe god will give them there needs. But if weren't a christian you can't give them this BS answer. You have to give them real advice that will be more helpful in the long run than just waiting for something to happen. Not only are they not depending on something THEY have to take action to accomplish there problems.

one of the other problems i had with christianity is that it told christians to try to be christ-like. To christians it may sound weird because jesus was supposed to be loving. But in reality he was more of an asshole, i mean look at christians who really try to be like him. They really are assholes. I'll explain. Yes the bible tells you to be loving but it also tells you to be like christ. Christ basically went around telling people when they sinned, that they were sinners, that they were fools and told people how great he was. Now put this personality into people. you now have a person who thinks they are being loving by going out and reminding people that they are sinners, that what they are doing is wrong. They can also start quoting bible verses that say you are a fool without actually saying it. "I'm just saying what the bible says." They start policing morals onto people. Not only this but since the bible has different translations you have many different people telling their version on right and wrong. It may not seem like it but you ARE creating conflicting attitudes. The whole story about "not casting the first stone" or the "take the plank out of your own eye" gets thrown away because a "True loving christian" has to tell someone they are doing wrong in order to SAVE THEM FROM HELL. Basically christianity ends up creating a bunch of self-righteous jerks who think they are demonstrating the love of christ which wasn't really loving to begin with.

"Do not think I come to spread peace: for I come not with peace, but with a sword."

"Do not think I come to spread peace, for I come to turn the son against the father, the daughter against the mother, the mother-in-law against the daughter-in-law, the father-in-law against the son-in-law......."

Paraphrased, but not much.

Bruce

I oppose people who think they know everything.

When's the last time Buddhism stopped scientific research? Or the last incident when Taoism and Shinto prevented people from living full lives?

That's what I hate about people who live entirely within the world's they've built around themselves: they're ignorant.

I oppose Christianity (which by all rights should be called Paulism) because it, like all revealed religions, teaches and indoctrinates its adherents and their children to suborn reason to blind faith. They are the original wellsprings for the common, lazy attitude that we don't have to balance our emotions with thought, just feel. There is not one shred of rational evidence for any miracle, magic, revelation, or divine, supernatural event since the universe began. To say one believes because they want to believe (the only honest reason) is irrational, and that bleeds over into the other facets of their lives and the lives of those around them.

I'm against Christianity because in spite of all the evidence to the contrary (even in their holey (sic) book) they insist that only they are good. As a consequence they are especially good at genocide of any and all cultures weaker than their own. When they don't have a heathen enemy to subdue they turn on themselves and attempt to subdue each other. At times Christianity can seem benevolent, but this mind virus is rather like herpies and will spring forth in all its ugliness in times of stress.

I LOVE my brain. I LOVE my intellect. I may not be the smartest person in the world, but still I treasure my ability to think.

Christianity is the MOST anti-intellectual religion on the planet. In Genesis, God curses Adam and Eve for what crime? Eating from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. They dared to get smart and this pissed off God. Later on we see God get pissed again when mankind co-operated to build a high tower in Babel, so he confuses man's language so they can't advance technologically. And in the New Testament Jesus commands that we sabotage our reason and become "as children" to accept what he says. Later on St. Paul says that the "wisdom of man" is at enmity with the "foolishness of God".

If Christians had their way, we'd all be stuck in the Stone Age, believing the world was flat and terrified of fire, lightning and sacrificing goats and virgins to please their God.

Bottom line: In order to accept BY FAITH Jesus Christ/God, we must be intellectually dishonest, ignore the facts/truth, give ourselves a lobotomy, and become gullible children/sheep. I refuse to do this to myself. I reject anything and everything that doesn't make sense. And I condemn anyone who commands me to gouge out my brain, close my eyes, or just "have faith" to please/believe "God".

If Christianity isn't an anti-intellectual religion, then I don't know what is. And this is why I am against it.

Christianity is the MOST anti-intellectual religion on the planet.

I see no need to single out Christianity (which is merely pagan mythology applied by Paul to Jesus, who we know little or nothing about.) ALL revealed religions are anti-intellectual, but the one that remains the most primitive is Islam. It's institutionalized mistreatment of women alone puts it in that category, and Muhammed was a known perv on several counts.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.