Goodbye Jesus

Pentecostals

leftofpunk

I was AOG for awhile, too.

Well-meaning old ladies were always coming up to me and giving me "a word from the Lord"..

I guess I had the wrong fillings in my teeth to pick up the signal personally.

Ah, there I go with my ethnocentricity again. I don't even think about things being different elsewhere in the world. But yes, in the states, the pentecostals are a bunch of nutbags. I've seen video of some pentecostal churches in Australia and they seemed pretty much like those in the US too...although I guess all I really saw was the worship portion of the service...the singing and all that shite.

I'd say that NZ churches would be very similar to Aussie ones. The culture is very similar. I can definitely see how people like Jennifer could see them crazy, with all the speaking in tongues, being slain in the spirit and all that stuff. I'm probably so used to it, it doesn't seem that crazy to me. So if we go by that stuff, then yeah Penecostals are a bunch of nutters!

I have seen one Pentecostal church I belonged to go way off track though. A woman who was supposedly possessed was having a demon manifest itself in the worship every Sunday. It pretty much destroyed the church because the pastor was going way off track, listening to prophesies made by this possessed woman. In th e end he even had an affair with the woman. So there is no doubt Pentecostal churches can border on the extreme and even over step the border, even down here.

Kind of off topic, but with all the mentions of AoG, it makes me remember the time I went to the 25th Anniversery convention of the Rocky Horror Picture Show in Las Vegas.

Right next to the Assembly of God convention.

Kind of off topic, but with all the mentions of AoG, it makes me remember the time I went to the 25th Anniversery convention of the Rocky Horror Picture Show in Las Vegas.

lol you probably couldn't tell the difference if you'd stepped into the wrong one what with all the show effects a lot of AOG churches have these days and all the shimmying on down going on!

i wasn't Pentecostal myself but my flatmate who led me into it all was and she suggested i rid of all my satanic influence books/films/cds... so i did... by selling them on ebay! (and technically most of my stuff she classed as satanic influence) She was not amused that i'd passed these onto some other poor souls who would burn in hell and tried to convince me to give all the money to the Church so i told her i did and spent it on myself :-) i was never as cuckoo as her. she still is. shame!

Actually, one of the churches I was in there was one member who refused to shop at a Supervalue store after he saw on the sales receipt it said "Store Number 666". Even in my youth I tried to tell him that the store down the road was store #667, but he was still convinced it was a sign of Satan.

Kind of off topic here. I used to have a phone number that ended 6669 and some crazy lady would call me up every couple of days and ask me if I was a devil worshipper. :huh: It got really annoying and finally I ended up changing the phone number. Now I just laugh at it, but I still wonder why someone would go out of their way to harass someone like that. I think it's just in line with alot of the stupid crap people say. :Wendywhatever:

lol you probably couldn't tell the difference if you'd stepped into the wrong one what with all the show effects a lot of AOG churches have these days and all the shimmying on down going on!

Unless Pentecostals are into wearing bustieres and panties while singing about being sweet transvetites in their prayers, I doubt it. :lmao:

Surprisingly, there weren't any problems because of this. Most of us were certain somebody would cause a flap, but I guess they decided complaining about hundreds of men and women in drag wasn't a wise idea (especially since this was all Hollywood funded). The AOG'ers just scrurried inside their convention halls and stayed in there.

Except for the smokers. Anytime you'd go outside you'de see a crowd of Frankenfurters smoking with Magentas and Riff Raffs in front of their half of the building and the AOG smokers...um...WAAAAAAAAAAY over on the other end of the parking lot.

Guest copacetic

Oh crap.

On of my best friends became a pentecostal out of the blue last week (read the burning nun story for details). It's been rough and after reading this...

What a dork.

*sigh*

:angry:

About the issue of getting rid of evil things, eg Secular music. When I was in my late teens, I ended up selling my entire cassette collection because I became convinced it was all evil. Interestingly enough I was in the Baptist church at the time and one of the people who influenced me quite a bit to do it was in the Baptist church too.

Happy to say I have replaced just about every one of those cassettes with CDs now.