Goodbye Jesus

Kick-starting Autonomous Thinking In Christians

Poonis

Totally with you Ravenstar, that's exactly what the bible does in reverse. Teach a child how it should go and it will never depart smile.png

Don't underestimate a child's ability to think critically.

Believe it or not but the bible encourages and discourages critical thinking. It says to test all things, and it says to gain subtlety and to understand mysteries and wisdoms. The biggest problem is not even the bible, it's the fact that they blindly follow other people's interpretations of the world and reality.

I guess the simplest thing is not to focus on logic and reason but on asking a simple question, "who said"? Help them see their circular reasoning, but do it gently. Try to help them develop the habit of seeking out the source of a matter. What is the bible? When was it written. By who. Who says the writers wrote what was said accurately. Even point out historical figures like Constantine, point out his influence on Xanity and so on, and ask them what they think about it. Do this with the aim of not trying to make them feel they must immediately denounce it, but so that they begin a path of self discovery.

Ask them about he original translation and meaning of scriptures, and when and how they made the decision to accept XYZ as truth. Help them to think about their thoughts, their beliefs, and which of their beliefs were developed by their own observations or blindly adopted.

In regards to children, we can teach them the same virtues. It would be great if we could just let them play, but for the next hundred years at least we're going to have to immunise them against Xanity to stop it from spreading.

I know that my mental aptitude was equivalent to the average adult when I was ten, and I've seen children in private education easily exceeding that, so I believe that suggests that just about every child is capable with the right education.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Good one, Poonis; getting Xians to admit the problems inherent in the plain text of their "infallible" book can be the biggest mountain to climb, but it is one of the best. Fervent fanatics will just make excuses, but less-devoted Xians will find food for thought in such things, so pointing out the glaring inconsistencies can be of great contribution.

Hey man I am new to this forum, but your post confused me. It says you are a Christian while agreeing on the contradictions that the Bible has and congratulation an ex-Christian on getting current Christians to doubt. Not sure what to make of it :)

Good one, Poonis; getting Xians to admit the problems inherent in the plain text of their "infallible" book can be the biggest mountain to climb, but it is one of the best. Fervent fanatics will just make excuses, but less-devoted Xians will find food for thought in such things, so pointing out the glaring inconsistencies can be of great contribution.

Hey man I am new to this forum, but your post confused me. It says you are a Christian while agreeing on the contradictions that the Bible has and congratulation an ex-Christian on getting current Christians to doubt. Not sure what to make of it smile.png

Looks like he has not been on in almost six years.  

Just looked at those parts of the bible: I do note that it's not really clear just what was written on the tablets in the first incidence as the tablets aren't actually mentioned until chapter 24. It's also not completely clear what was written on the second set. It looks like it starts up right away, but it's just not clear. It's all bullshit anyway, but this particular issue doesn't look so much like a contradiction as just a very unclear account of the fairy tale.