Goodbye Jesus

Exit Counseling

gabby

I was doing some internet research this morning because I am trying to find a therapist who is experienced in helping people deal with post-cult life. Here is what I don't get...when I google "exit counseling" or "cult help" I get a bunch of stupid x-tain sites like "Love Ministries" and other such crap. I trying to get away from x-tianity, not get sucked back into it.:huh: It is possible that I am just not using the right search term but I can't seem to find a therapist or group that doesn't have some religious agenda. Frankly, it frightens me that there are so many religious groups out there who set themselves up as "ex-cult experts" when they are really just a front to prey on people who are already vulnerable. Also, I have heard that some ex-cult groups are also Scientology fronts so I am really wary of all this. Anyone here know of a place where I can find a good, secular therapist who is experienced with these issues?

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I definitely understand where you are, I tried googling for help for a phobia, all I got was Wikipedia, Xtian crap, and support for parents whose kids are afraid of lightning (which is, btw, my greatest fear and what I was trying to get help for).

Google really isn't helpful when it comes to looking for help.

• Super Moderator

Someone here might be a resource:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/9104/

Perhaps a call to a local medical referral service would give you some therapists you could contact and interview to see if they are what you're looking for.

Marlene Winell is the only one I know of. She wrote a book "Leaving the Fold: A Guide for Former Fundamentalists and Others Leaving Their Religion." She also does counseling and workshops. Click on the link to see her website.

The Ross Institute Internet Archives for the Study of Destructive Cults, Contraversial Groups and Movements might be worth a look. It seems to provide information and legal advice for people who have been injured while members of cults. The list of cults on the home page is the usual list of dangerous cults we hear about. I see something about LDS.

My hunch is that the major organized religions of the world do not come under the category "cult" for web searches. These major world religions see themselves as the lifeboats to save people from the "dangerous" cults. "Dangerous" is subjectively defined, obviously. Not much we can do about that except work around the fact and seek till we find something that meets our own needs.

Sorry that's the best advice I can give at the moment. Maybe someone else knows more.

Call your local mental health clinic and ask for a referral. You may be surprised at the resources available.

Thank you Rhia. That provides a lot of help for me personally. It provides ideas or perspectives, if nothing else. I left a message at the local Catholic Family Counseling Centre late Friday afternoon, and also sent an email to the leader of the local Humanist group. Haven't heard back from either and have been wondering what I will do when/if the Catholic centre responds before the Humanist person. I doubt that there are athiest counselors in this area but who knows? Anyway, that person (in the link you gave) suggests there are more important things to attend to than life philosophy of the counselor.

One can only hope. A year ago I was seeing a counselor and things went well until I told her that I had decided to cut ties with my family. At that point she got her back up and questioned my decision. I'd been through too much to have her take that approach. She was from my school and I had used up all the time slots available. Besides, I felt I was able to go on without her, so I never went back. I can only imagine what would happen with a Christian counselor if I brought up the issue of being angry at god for not existing when said God had threatened me with hell all my life for not believing.

1. Christians are sensitive enough as it is about us being angry at God.
  2. We tell them we can't be angry at an entity that doesn't exist.
  3. Then how do I deal with this anger at a god who broke all his promises? I trusted he existed because my life depended on accepting the word of the authority figures in my life.
  4. God does not materialize when I need help. God does not materialize when I disobey. There is no evidence of God's existence. There are natural explanations for everything that exists. If I said these things to a Christian counselor, he or she would probably ask, "What comes up for you when you say these things?"

That is when I would want to just bash in someone's face. It would be better not to raise the issue. Not raising the issue would keep me from dealing with a central problem of my life.

Those are the options as I see them. I can hardly be the only exChristian dealing with this kind of issues.

Thanks guys! My current therapist is hindu and while she is wonderful at helping me out with daily life issues she isn't well versed in christianity or the issues that surround de-conversion. I have been trying new therapists here but I am once bitten, twice shy, so to speak. When I went to see a new psychiatrist recently my husband had to practically keep me from bolting out the door 'cause there was a painting of the Noah's Ark on the wall. The doctor seems professional and he really only deals with my medication, but I just can't trust x-tains right now. I am looking forward to checking out the links and seeing what other options are available.

• 1 month later...

Therapist Locator: http://www.therapistlocator.net/

I also recommend calling every name and clinic in the book, asking their specialties, listing your needs, and arrnaging 5 minute interviews with potential candidates to see if you click. Most will do this for no charge if you ask.

One other thing is to look at LGBT clinics, even if you are not LGBT. Religion in general is hostile to LGBT people, and therapists there often have experience in dealing with folks 'coming out' of a religious environment.

Good luck. Take your time and pick the best fit for you. A good therapist can make all the difference.