Photo

Destroying Apologist Arguments

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Justin

Justin

Apostate

• 964 posts
  • Interests:music, nature, reading, writing poetry, forteania, history, horror stories, horror movies
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :The 3rd from the left pine tree in my back yard

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:27 AM

Aside from Talkorigins, which is great, what are some other great sites that are dedicated to thumping apologists arguments in depth?
"I recall the story of the philosopher and the theologian. The two were engaged in disputation and the theologian used the old quip about a philosopher resembling a blind man, in a dark room, looking for a black cat -- which wasn't there. "That may be," said the philosopher: "but a theologian would have found it." Julian Huxley

"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try. No hell below us, above us only sky" John Lennon

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

#2 Thurisaz

Thurisaz

Warrior of Thor

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 8,331 posts
  • Interests:GURPS, The 'Thief' series, EVE Online, and more.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :The Asgard gang (Nordic/Germanic heathenry)

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:28 AM

Not directly dedicated to destroying apologist crap, but www.jesusneverexisted.com has a wealth of articles on pretty much everything regarding the jebus cult, including US morontheism and the cultists' obsession with sexuality.

Plus the sarcastic style of the articles is priceless :fdevil:
Debussy didn't believe in God. He didn't believe in the establishment. He didn't believe in burgeois convention. He didn't believe in Beethoven or Wagner. He believed in... Debussy.

(The Art of Noise, "The holy egoism of genius", from the CD "The seduction of Claude Debussy")

#3 qadeshet

qadeshet

Skeptic

• 620 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Ishtar

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:54 PM

darrellwconder.com
Agnostic Review of Christianity
Biblical Nonsense
No Answers in Genesis!
ministerturnsatheist.blogspot.com
Jesus Myth - The Case Against Historical Christ
Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth
Solar Mythology and the Bible

#4 Justin

Justin

Apostate

• 964 posts
  • Interests:music, nature, reading, writing poetry, forteania, history, horror stories, horror movies
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :The 3rd from the left pine tree in my back yard

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:23 PM

Thanks guys.
"I recall the story of the philosopher and the theologian. The two were engaged in disputation and the theologian used the old quip about a philosopher resembling a blind man, in a dark room, looking for a black cat -- which wasn't there. "That may be," said the philosopher: "but a theologian would have found it." Julian Huxley

"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try. No hell below us, above us only sky" John Lennon

#5 Mythra

Mythra

Just one of the goats

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 3,603 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No-weh.

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:00 AM

Hi Justin.

If you're interested in a more in-depth discussion than you can find online, you might take a look at the book "Jesus is Dead" by Robert M. Price. In it he takes on the apologetic arguments (one by one) of Gary Habermas, N.T. Wright, A.J.M. Wedderburn, William Lane Craig, James Patrick Holding, and Glenn Miller.

Since the gospel story is basically a fictional account, even the most convincing sounding christian argument has flaws in it if you look deep enough.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies Mark Twain

#6 Justin

Justin

Apostate

• 964 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:05 AM

Hi Justin.

If you're interested in a more in-depth discussion than you can find online, you might take a look at the book "Jesus is Dead" by Robert M. Price. In it he takes on the apologetic arguments (one by one) of Gary Habermas, N.T. Wright, A.J.M. Wedderburn, William Lane Craig, James Patrick Holding, and Glenn Miller.

Since the gospel story is basically a fictional account, even the most convincing sounding christian argument has flaws in it if you look deep enough.

Thanks Mythra. I shall check that book out.

#7 Asimov

Asimov

Polemist

• Atheist
  • 4,941 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Sam Harris

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

infidels.org
"In all of my research on politics, I've come to a conclusion:
The left is retarded, and the right is insane.
So which is worse?
The moderates. They're half-retarded and half-insane. "

- Valgeir

#8 Antlerman

Antlerman

Universal Church of Humanity

• 9,758 posts
  • Interests:Music, philosophy, science, religion, life.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :What's God?

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:20 PM

Iron Chariots Wiki: http://wiki.ironchar...title=Main_Page

Look under their Starting Point section:

For those who prefer to browse, we've divided articles into a number of categories to provide convenient starting points:

* Arguments
* Christian apologists
* Atheists

You can also browse the entire category structure starting at the top.

Many paths lead from the foot of the mountain,
but at the peak we all gaze at the single bright moon.

~Ikkyu - Zen-monk poet, 1394-1481

If a plant cannot live according to its nature it dies; and so a man.

~Thoureau

#9 Justin

Justin

Apostate

• 964 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:19 PM

Thanks ya'll.

#10 Insanity personified

Insanity personified

Strong Minded

• 202 posts
  • Interests:Music, anime, manga, drinking virgin blood....
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Carl Sagan came close.

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

I find that the best way to refute apologetics arguments is to read up on logical fallacies, and how to identify them
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.
[Carl Sagan]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users