Goodbye Jesus

Slavic Paganism

Guest Zenobia

Guest Zenobia

For any who don't know, I lived in Russia for two years. Love of nature is deeply rooted in Russian culture and mysticism has often been intertwined even with Russian Orthodox Christianity.

But there are deep pagan roots in Slavic countries... thought I'd share some of these videos I've found on Youtube. Very beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP92jh5IJHA...feature=related

Music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTyZ7hpkG-w&NR=1

Pagan gathering/ritual

On this one, I don't understand everything the speaker is saying - but he is describing how they believe and how living in harmony with nature is good for your health, and you can see people collecting birch branches (birch - beryezka - is sacred in Russia) perhaps to use later in the banya (the sweat lodge). You whip yourself with birch branches to stimulate blood flow - very common practice in Russia and one I enjoyed when I was there.

Here is a video in English about Perun - he is a slavic god similar to Thor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oimyM8XVmmo...feature=related

British documentary about Slavic solstice celebration and Slavic paganism (Rodnoveria) and there is an interview (translated) with the person who was in the video above. Notice the similarities between Slavic shamanism and Native American shamanism? I thought it was striking especially towards the end when they are drumming and chanting around the fire.

Another Russian music video with beautiful images of Old Russia. Some of the illustrations of knights and horses are from skazki (children's stories) which are very famous there. I have a couple hand-painted versions of these in my home.

The first song is so beautiful. What does it mean?

Guest Zenobia

I listened to it a few times and I'm afraid my Russian isn't fluent enough to translate it exactly. Music is hard to understand for me in any language.. sometimes I can't even understand American songs! LOL...

I thought she said something about the stars at night and birds singing in the rain... but most of it went over my head. Sorry. If the lyrics were written down somewhere I could pull out my Russian dictionary and translate it.

Here is another really beautiful song

And i couldn't resist adding this one either... beautiful... my Norweigen blood definately resonates with this Scandinavian imagery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSxwbwcq3WQ...feature=related

Oh well. Doesn't make it any less beautiful. Thank you for these links. They were all very interesting.

In watching the music video, I did notice one anomaly: Those rune cards. The words at the top of each card are the names of the Futhark runes... In old Norse, not Russian. (Oh, and there *is* no 25th rune in the Elder Futhark, either... That "blank rune" is a modern invention.)

But the music was beautiful.

I'm quite open to the possibility of a link between Slavic and Germanic paganism... I suspect the Æsir travelled through Eastern Europe on their way to Scandinavia. And the писанка is a particularly gorgeous version of the Easter egg.

Guest Zenobia

Astreja, my understanding is that the ancestry of Russia and Scandinavia are intertwined. The Slavic nations are a mixture of Scandinavian, Mongolian and others as people spread across Asia and Eastern Europe...the Norweigen Vikings settled in that area when they explored east as did the Mongolians when they spread West. When I lived there I noticed that many Russians have a more Scandinavian appearance while others take on a more broad-faced Mongolian look.

I would think it would be natural to use old Norse runes along with Russian ones since they are going back to ancient ways that hail from their Scandinavian beginnings.

Then again, runes have not been my area of study.

From what I have studied of the old ways, the painting of eggs and giving them as gifts, or burying them in the earth pre-dates Easter and goes back thousands of years. I do know that the type of Pisanki you referenced come mainly from Ukraine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oimyM8XVmmo...feature=related

British documentary about Slavic solstice celebration and Slavic paganism (Rodnoveria) and there is an interview (translated) with the person who was in the video above. Notice the similarities between Slavic shamanism and Native American shamanism? I thought it was striking especially towards the end when they are drumming and chanting around the fire.

I really loved those videos, but I especially like this one. Even though I'm not a pagan, I was really moved by how the guy being interviewed said that God speaks to people in their own language and how you can't measure the love to your faith by your hatred towards others and I thought all the dancing and singing was very beautiful.

Guest Zenobia

I'm glad you enjoyed them Neon. I was just having such a beautiful evening listening to all the Russian pagan music and I wanted to share it.

Sadly, not everyone sees it the way the guy in the interview did. As I surfed Youtube I found a LOT of comments about Russian nationalism and Slavic pride... even some "white power" comments which offended me. I don't get that feeling from the music or rituals in the videos though, so I fugure the people commenting are just typical morons on Youtube.

Astreja, my understanding is that the ancestry of Russia and Scandinavia are intertwined.

Yes. That's correct. There is a link, just read about the word Roslagen (Swedish east coast), and the word Russia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslagen

Guest Zenobia
Astreja, my understanding is that the ancestry of Russia and Scandinavia are intertwined.

Yes. That's correct. There is a link, just read about the word Roslagen (Swedish east coast), and the word Russia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslagen

I'd studied Russian history a bit years ago when I was living there and prior to my trip over, and remembered reading that. Plus, while living in Russia I could really see the Scandinavian influence in some people, and the more Mongolian genetics in others. Sometimes you get a blending of both which results in a broad-faced exotic look which is recognized as "Slavic." Great link btw.

The Slavs were the third and final (if you don't count the Gypsies) wave of IndoEuropean migration. They originated from the Caucasus region just like the ones that went before. The Nordic folks branched off the Celts during the Iron Age and are therefore something of a subgroup, as they developed in isolation up in the northern forests. The Swedish Vikings ruled Russia briefly and gave it a name, but I don't think they left much of a genetic imprint. The Russian people were already around by then.

You got Iberians, Italics, Hellenics... you got Celts, Germanics (and Nordics), and then... you've got Slavs.

The former Yugoslavia rocks! I look forward to the day that my Yank ass can safely travel all the way down to Beograd (Belgrade), where I shall dine on the finest roast piglet the Serbs have to offer.