Photo
- - - - -

Church Of Christ Vs. Pentecostals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Church Of Christ vs Pentecostals (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Which church do you think is more insane?

1. Church Of Christ (6 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. Pentecostals (27 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

Vote

#1 Neon Genesis

Neon Genesis

Co-Chairman: Committee for Posting Purity

• 9,725 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :the natural universe

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

Choosing between the Church Of Christ and the Pentecostals, which one do you think is more insane? Because I honestly can't decide myself. On the one hand, the Pentecostals honestly scare me with their speaking in tongues crap and the laying of hands thing just looks creepy. On the other hand, the COC believes they're the one true church established on the day of Pentecost and even other fundies are going to hell for not worshiping God correctly. They also make too big of a deal over small petty things like whether or not it's a sin to have kitchens in your church and even some COC congregations will condemn other COC congregations just for having praise teams in their worship services. So, which one do you think is more insane?
A passionate and committed atheism can be more religious than a weary or inadequate theism-Karen Armstrong

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

#2 par4dcourse

par4dcourse

Thppppht!

• Atheist
  • 5,485 posts
  • Interests:Whatever catches my brain today.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Asimov and Hawking come close.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

Confusionus say: insanity like pregnancy, you either are or you ain't.
"My head hurts, my feet stink, and it don't love jesus."--Jimmy Buffett"
If god wanted us to believe in him, he'd exist."--Linda Smith

#3 Deva

Deva

Heathen Vajrayana gal

• 8,574 posts
  • Interests:Birding, art, reading, keeping salamanders, reptiles, giant millipedes and plants; cooking, and cultivating a good heart.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :None

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

I voted Pentecostals. That babbling they do is just freaky.
“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.”― Albert Camus "All my life people have been working to enslave me, but all I ever wanted to be was an eagle flying in a clear blue sky" - Deva

#4 Raul

Raul

Apostate

• 783 posts
  • Interests:Music, computer games,literature,philosophy
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No gods, no masters

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:14 PM

Can you add a "They both suck" option?
"I surpassed myself,the suffering one;I carried mine own ashes to the mountain;a brighter flame I contrived for myself. And lo! Thereupon the phantom WITHDREW from me!
To me the convalescent would it now be suffering and torment to believe in such phantoms: suffering would it now be to me, and humiliation. Thus speak I to backworldsmen."
(Friedrich Nietzsche , "Thus Spake Zarathustra" )
p.s. My native language is russian.

#5 bdp

bdp

Rationalist

• 2,197 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :z

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

Church of Christ - they are convinced that ONLY THEY have the absolute, 100% truth and are very arrogant about it.
Posted Image

#6 Rhia

Rhia

Crimson, Eleven, Delight, Petrichor.

• 851 posts
  • Interests:Knitting, cooking, anthropology, linguistics, Doctor Who, D&D, and general geekiness.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Secular Humanist

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

As former AoG, I'm going Pentecostal. I may come from the more "liberal" of Pentecostal denoms, but we were definitely a freaky, insane bunch. Try as a girl not being allowed wear pants, makeup, or jewelry until you're married - and then if your husband wants you to dress like a whore because it gets him off; you have to, because he's your husband and you must submit.

There are other freakier things, but that's I think a nice taste of the insanity.

Edited by Rhia, 21 December 2008 - 07:41 PM.

#7 Mike D

Mike D

Sage

• Atheist
  • 2,843 posts
  • Interests:None
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :$$$

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:57 PM

I have to admit I don't know much about the Church of Christ. What's their claim to fame? I was a pentecostal so I know all about that, but without knowing Chruch of Christ's doctrine it's had to cast any vote...

#8 SkipNChurch

SkipNChurch

Timely paraclete

• Super Moderator
  • 14,487 posts
  • Interests:Old Iron, Old Booze, Old Guns, Dogs, Women and Lots of Money in no particular given order.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Whatever happens, panned out

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:08 PM

What? No nekkid "Best Of" choices?

kL

#9 chefranden

chefranden

Total Moron

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 4,431 posts
  • Interests:photography, reading, religion, grandchildren, art, cosmology sitting-on-my-ass, cognitive-science, but not cooking.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :The Kitchen God's Wife

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:18 AM

I am an apostate minister from the one true church, COC. That's right I'm a TrueApostate™. If you are not from the COC, you are not a TrueApostate™. :moon:
"In a bureaucracy, it’s easier to make a process more complex than to make it simpler, and easier to create a new burden than kill an old one."Clay Shirky

"If God lived on Earth, people would break his windows." Yiddish proverb

#10 OpheliaGinger

OpheliaGinger

Proud Fool

• 6,614 posts
  • Interests:ask me
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Jesus Frankenstein

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:49 AM

I had to go with Pentecostals. As a former COC (well, COC in the sense that if a cow is born in a tree it's a bird), I know how stupid their doctrine is (i.e. it is a sin to drink, dance, or have fun), but the Pentecostals always come across as being very immature and, quite frankly, childish. At least COC worship doesn't wind up making them look like fools dancing around madly.
Proud Fool

#11 Guest_danny64_*

Guest_danny64_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:29 PM

former c of c'ers unite! not really, but what was the question? oh, which is more insane. well, i like the question. my best bud was a holy roller and guitar player for jebus. i was a c of c song leader. we both became atheist and started a band. now im the lead singer and rhythm player, he is the lead guitar player. so...what was my point? ioh, well, his church taught him to be one hell of a guitar player and mine taught me to sing. now we play the devil's music for screaming drunken bar crowds. thank god for church music! the funny thing about church of christers is that (i believe) they are about as close to atheist as a believer can be. no spirit gettin', no miracles (since the ones in the bible), no holy days, no healin'... i would call them the anti'church church. i have to vote that the holy rollers are crazier, but its at least an amusing crazy. c of c is just boring arrogance. i aint no holy roller, so i just use a bong.

#12 AgnosticBob AtheistPants

AgnosticBob AtheistPants

Who lives in a godless pineapple under the godless sea?

• 657 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Edgar the intergalactic cockroach!

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

Gotta go with Pentecostal on this. I am a former Pentecostal and know their insanity first hand. I believe the CoC's insanity is just the standard Christian insanity magnified a few times.

DARKSIDED!!!
IPB Image
If God has indeed created himself in his own image,
then I submit to you that God is a cockroach!

My Anti-Testimony

#13 OpheliaGinger

OpheliaGinger

Proud Fool

• 6,614 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

Imagine this, being only accustomed to the CoC worship style and then being thrust into the Pentecostal worship style; that is one system shock since the two are polar opposites.
Proud Fool

#14 willybilly30

willybilly30

Free Thinker

• 1,985 posts
  • Interests:religion, meditation, and science
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :I am god of my own life so there!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:50 AM

I voted Pentacostals some of their churches look like a insane asylum on sundays and some churches handle snakes and drink poison.

Church of Christ is insane too with their everything that's fun is a sin philosophy.

But decided pentacostals look crazier

#15 MathGeek

MathGeek

Energy Saver Bulb: Very Bright, Low Wattage

• 1,321 posts
  • Interests:Math, Religion, Politics, Philosophy, Writing Poetry
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Any real number divided by 0

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:58 AM

Hell if I know, I came from the tradition of sit-stand-kneel-sit-stand-kneel. Of course, if you couldn't eat meat on a Friday, then you must come from an insane branch of the faith.

Sounds to me like both branches described here have some interesting caveats to go with them. I have to abstain though since I came from neither tradition.

There's one road to tomorrow...There's one road to the truth

There's one road back to civilization...but there's no road back to you

-from the song "Paper Tiger" by Beck

#16 SWIM

SWIM

Smackin Dem Xtians Down!

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 2,541 posts
  • Interests:boating fishing music, electronics, radio, animation, web site design and 3D photorealism rendering.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No thank you! But thanks for offering...

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:38 AM

Is COC the same as AOG? A long time ago I toured all the different churches, mostly for my own education. I found, here in FL, that Ass of God was probably more wacked out then pentacostals... But it might just be the differences of the two churches here in my town, and I have only been to one each, one time, so I am certainly not an authority on the subject.

IMO they both are actually somewhat helpful. Why? Because they can wake up people to how insane religion can actually be. They actually help wake people up from religion by demonstrating how utterly insane extremeism is. I would wager many have left religion due to this maddness. It's like a classroom where you learn just how retarded extremism is. Just like snake handlers, poision drinkers, they help people with at least a 3 digit IQ see just how stupid it can be...

#17 willybilly30

willybilly30

Free Thinker

• 1,985 posts
  • Interests:religion, meditation, and science
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :I am god of my own life so there!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:58 AM

Church of God is like Ass of God.

Church of Christ is not like Ass of God.

Atleast in my town anyway.

I don't understand how the snake handeling churches keep members you'd think about so many ended up in the hospital people would think they are nuts.

#18 Ixchel

Ixchel

Doubter

• 64 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:57 AM

Church of Christ. Was forced to go to one for 4 years. The things they'd do are insane. Unless you were baptized into their church, you were going to hell. Don't even get me started on the No instruments in church thing. :Hmm: Wasn't allowed to listen to any secular music. Any friends who weren't in youth were a bad influence. Work ethic was compared to godliness. Church scandals, as always, were swept under the rug. My houseparent's mother, who was the wife of an elder died, and not a month later he was married to someone else. My houseparent never liked that woman, but for the "good of the church" she left it be.

Edited by Ixchel, 13 January 2009 - 09:01 AM.

I am a six on Dawkins' Scale of Belief. :D
”The more I study religions, the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.”
-Richard Burton

#19 OpheliaGinger

OpheliaGinger

Proud Fool

• 6,614 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

Is COC the same as AOG?

AOG=Assembly of God? If so, then hell no. the Church of Christ is the polar opposite of Assembly of God, but they have the same "If you're not one of use, then you're going to hell" doctrine. The Church of Christ hates to be compared to any other sect, because "they are the one true church."

Edited by OpheliaGinger, 13 January 2009 - 06:56 PM.

Proud Fool

#20 Big.blue.nation

Big.blue.nation

Doubter

• 61 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

I was in a CoC church for a few years, who actually had a gym or "family center" used for potlucks and such and another more fundy CoC across town knew about it and totally unloaded on them. They cited it was unbiblical and should only have a worship sanctuary, so they send rebuking letters and boycotted them. Don't you just love Fundys? Also, CoC believes that is a baby dies, it goes to hell. Crazy people indeed! I think both have some insanity, but that experience for me topped the cake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users