Goodbye Jesus

Church Of Christ Vs. Pentecostals

Neon Genesis

... Also, CoC believes that is a baby dies, it goes to hell. Crazy people indeed! I think both have some insanity, but that experience for me topped the cake.

Interesting, I've never heard this of CoC. But then every congregation is its own sect.

My doctrinal training taught age of accountability, meaning you were safe to a certain age that nobody really could pin down. We didn't encourage children to be immersed before age 7 and we didn't really start worrying about them until 12 or 13.

We were the OneTrueChurch. Just like the Immortals, there can be only one!

I'm with you, i'm with you. Yea, I agree the overall consensus within evangelical xianity was an age of accountability; which interestingly enough in not hinted anywhere in scripture. I probably should've better phrased that there were elders and church leaders I knew who thought if one is born with original sin and dies without the blood sacrifice of christ, enter eternity separated from God. But back to the age of accountability, I rememeber 12-13 as well being the proper age culturally accepted within the CoC, when I was in it.

Goodbye Jesus

The CoC tends to go along the lines of the Jews when it comes to the age of accountability, but at the same time they agree that the whole age of accountability is rather vague.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you guys heard of Ceylon Pentecostal Mission? I think they go by a different name nowadays but they're like Pentecostals on Steroids. They're extremely strict, rigid (they sound almost like the CoC from the descriptions I've heard of them) and have a weird church hierarchy revolving around "church mothers" who run everything. Yeah, I don't know.

I vote Pentecostal because around here they are ones handling rattlesnakes. Then, if bitten, they won't go to a doctor. I had a cousin with a 105 fever and the family would only gather, pray, and lay hands on her. Fucking idiots

Choosing between the Church Of Christ and the Pentecostals, which one do you think is more insane? Because I honestly can't decide myself. On the one hand, the Pentecostals honestly scare me with their speaking in tongues crap and the laying of hands thing just looks creepy. On the other hand, the COC believes they're the one true church established on the day of Pentecost and even other fundies are going to hell for not worshiping God correctly. They also make too big of a deal over small petty things like whether or not it's a sin to have kitchens in your church and even some COC congregations will condemn other COC congregations just for having praise teams in their worship services. So, which one do you think is more insane?

Most CoC people really don't believe those doctrines but don't say it in front of the preacher. Also they aren't into the "end of the world" stuff and the "official" CoC position on the book of Revelation is that most of it is referring to ancient history...not a future event so they're not intent on starting WWIII to try and make Jezeus come back (they also don't believe in the rapture which is part of the end of the world doom and gloom thing).

I think the evangelical movement is the most dangerous thing to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness because they've got the political power to pull it off. They're the nuttiest in my opinion and the Pentacostals usually fall in line with the evangelicals. I think Pentacostals are really into the "rapture" and the end of the world is nigh also.

So comparatively speaking squabbling over whether a musical instrument in church is a sin or other petty stuff seems minor to me.