Photo

Little Debbies

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#1 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

Thinker

• 198 posts
  • Interests:art, science, history, philosophy, and fiction. Everything that falls under those categories.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :The Lovers, the Dreamers, and Me

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:22 AM

So the Little Debbie® snack food is actually owned by THESE PEOPLE

I don't know if I can ever eat one of those delicious peanut butter bars ever again in good conscience.

And it's no wonder everything they make is so damn good.

It's all made from the processed daydreams and free thoughts of little children.

Edited by Internet Jesus, 04 January 2009 - 03:53 PM.

I can't explain the kind of breaks that have come my way, and that are out there.
Dreams come true!
Dream your dreams people.
Massage them!
Live them out!
I'm telling you, it works. -George Carlin

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

#2 par4dcourse

par4dcourse

Thppppht!

• Atheist
  • 5,469 posts
  • Interests:Whatever catches my brain today.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Asimov and Hawking come close.

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:46 PM

Can't get your link to work. Next, you'll be telling me there is no Little Debbie. Heresy!!
"My head hurts, my feet stink, and it don't love jesus."--Jimmy Buffett"
If god wanted us to believe in him, he'd exist."--Linda Smith

#3 florduh

florduh

Not Right in the Head

• Super Moderator
  • 15,239 posts
  • Interests:Food.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :my doG

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

The company that makes/distributes Little Debbies is owned by Seventh Day Adventists.

In other news, Chick-Fil-A is owned by Christians (I don't know which denomination); every convenience store in America is owned by Muslims; the gays own Disney, and I don't own shit.

House: "So, you're a faith healer. Or is that a pejorative? Do you prefer something like "divine health management"?"

#4 Guest_Net Eng_*

Guest_Net Eng_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

Can't get your link to work. Next, you'll be telling me there is no Little Debbie. Heresy!!

Wonder geek powers activated!!!

Ok, I think I decoded this correctly (lemme know Internet Jesus).

Seventh Day Adventists is the link in question from Wikipedia.

Here's an article discussing the connection of Little Debbie and the cult known as Seventh Day Adventist.

Little Debbie is distributed by a company that is owned by a Seventh Day Adventist family.

#5 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

Thinker

• 198 posts
  • Interests:art, science, history, philosophy, and fiction. Everything that falls under those categories.

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:53 PM

fix'd

I can't explain the kind of breaks that have come my way, and that are out there.
Dreams come true!
Massage them!
Live them out!

#6 Iden

Iden

Doubter

• 35 posts
  • Interests:Science(Biology, Physics, Genetics, Evolution) History, Archaelology, Reading old texts.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :The Darwin Fish

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

I don't think the average adventist is anything more cult than the average born again fundie.

#7 I Broke Free

I Broke Free

Turning 50 in Hawaii with hubby

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 2,534 posts
  • Interests:Maps, Geography, Astronomy, PBS Science Programming
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :What a silly question. Why, have you seen any?

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

I had never run across Little Debbie until I moved from California to New Hampshire in 2001. I don’t think they have Little Debbie on the West Coast. Having always been a big fan of all things “Hostess” I decided to give Little Debbie a try. I can say without reservation that every Little Debbie snack I tried tasted like a pile of shit and there will never be a chance that I try another one again. :ugh:
If I was created in the image of God, then how come I am not invisible?

#8 agnosticator

agnosticator

Free Thinker

• 1,909 posts
  • Interests:Music performance and composition, making Thai and Italian food, hiking, snorkeling, nature photography, and other outdoor activities with Mother Nature.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :agnostic

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

Ah yes, the McKee Baking company! I lived right next to the Little Debbie plant in Collegedale,Tn. awhile back. The present owners/operators of both plants were my students when I was teaching. They are filthy rich from the manufacturing/sales of those sinful cakes. So much for their "health message".

I still recall the sickeningly sweet aroma I woke up to every morning! By the way, little Debbie herself is a lesbian. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Too bad the sda church doesn't approve.
THE FOOL SAYS IN HIS HEART, "THERE IS NO GOD"....THE BIBLE

THE OTHER FOOL SAYS HE KNOWS GOD...AGNOSTICATOR

#9 Brought None

Brought None

Infidel

• 1,457 posts
  • Interests:Scifi, art, retro culture, technology, films, tons of geeky stuffs.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :None

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Ah yes, the McKee Baking company! I lived right next to the Little Debbie plant in Collegedale,Tn. awhile back. The present owners/operators of both plants were my students when I was teaching. They are filthy rich from the manufacturing/sales of those sinful cakes. So much for their "health message".

I still recall the sickeningly sweet aroma I woke up to every morning! By the way, little Debbie herself is a lesbian. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Too bad the sda church doesn't approve.

You serious about her being lesbian? If so that makes this so savory. Pun intended. LOL

BTW, Internet Jesus... freakin' sweet avatar!

Edited by Brought None, 04 January 2009 - 07:33 PM.

#10 burntwings

burntwings

Questioner

• 33 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Only the ones I've made up.

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

This saddens me. Every time I eat a yummy Little Debbie treat, I'm contributing to a bunch of Seventh Day Adventists.....*sigh*

#11 florduh

florduh

Not Right in the Head

• Super Moderator
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:34 PM

This saddens me. Every time I eat a yummy Little Debbie treat, I'm contributing to a bunch of Seventh Day Adventists.....*sigh*

They're not really that yummy. Try some devil's food cake. It's hellacious.

House: "So, you're a faith healer. Or is that a pejorative? Do you prefer something like "divine health management"?"

#12 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

Thinker

• 198 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

Did you teach at southern?

Dreams come true!
Massage them!
Live them out!

#13 peejay

peejay

Questioner

• 12 posts
  • Interests:napping, drums, guitars, martial arts, sstuff
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :nope

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

I wonder if they use animal products in those? All the Seventh Day Adventists I know are vegetarians.

If they don't, it explains why most of that stuff tastes like crap. :D

#14 par4dcourse

par4dcourse

Thppppht!

• Atheist
  • 5,469 posts
  • Interests:Whatever catches my brain today.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Asimov and Hawking come close.

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

I wonder if they use animal products in those? All the Seventh Day Adventists I know are vegetarians.

[sarcasm] What? A religious outfit that doesn't follow it's own insane rules? Impossible. [/sarcasm]
"My head hurts, my feet stink, and it don't love jesus."--Jimmy Buffett"
If god wanted us to believe in him, he'd exist."--Linda Smith

#15 burntwings

burntwings

Questioner

• 33 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

They're not really that yummy. Try some devil's food cake. It's hellacious.

Mmmmmm. Even better!

#16 burntwings

burntwings

Questioner

• 33 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

I only know one Seventh Day Adventists, but he's not a vegetarian, even though he's pretty serious about the whole thing. Not that it's really that important, I just thought I would share.

Also, sorry about the double post...I don't know how to quote two things in one post.

#17 Ixchel

Ixchel

Doubter

• 64 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No.

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

:(

But I LOVE those peanut butter bar things.

I am a six on Dawkins' Scale of Belief. :D
”The more I study religions, the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.”
-Richard Burton

#18 agnosticator

agnosticator

Free Thinker

• 1,909 posts
  • Interests:Music performance and composition, making Thai and Italian food, hiking, snorkeling, nature photography, and other outdoor activities with Mother Nature.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :agnostic

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

Did you teach at southern?

I taught at the sda academy and elementary school in collegedale. I don't miss either place!
THE FOOL SAYS IN HIS HEART, "THERE IS NO GOD"....THE BIBLE

THE OTHER FOOL SAYS HE KNOWS GOD...AGNOSTICATOR

#19 ShadowWolf

ShadowWolf

Questioner

• 29 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :LHP/Satan/Lucifer

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

I rarely eat them as it is. Guess cutting them off completely from my diet wont be that hard. I've only been to Chick-fil-a once, many years ago, so deciding not to eat there was easy.
I asked myself "What Would Satan Do?" Then the answers of life became more clear than they ever have.

#20 florduh

florduh

Not Right in the Head

• Super Moderator
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:18 PM

I'm not one to boycott something I enjoy simply because it is made/distributed by someone I don't agree with. It makes no financial impact on the company and it's a tactic used by the "other side" that makes me respect them even less.

Otherwise, atheists would have to boycott movies employing religious actors, directors and producers. We'd have to do our homework and avoid the "wrong" television shows. We could only buy books published by atheist publishing houses.

It gets a little silly after a short while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users