Goodbye Jesus

I Want To Get An "atheist" Tattoo

SilentLoner

I've known for nearly all my life I'm going to get some tattoos, the only thing that has delayed me is 1) my mom's anxious paranoia about tattoos and 2)My insistence on a perfect design, since I want them to symbolize important things to me. But I want to start getting them soon.

I have two ideas for tattos, one will be some design with cherry blossoms to represent my lifelong love of not only sakura trees but Japanese culture. I'm still working on that one, but so far I'm thinking of a small tree or branch on my shoulder or upper chest area with blossoms falling. I'd like it on my wrist but I've been warned about job issues - so I'm still deciding.

But what I wanted to ask you guys about is my plan for a tattoo that represents my atheist side. Atheism is important to me and I want it symbolized. I've looked at some images on google but so far my favorite idea is getting one of Nero's Cross (aka Broken Cross or Stipe).

321px-Nero_cross.svg.png

http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/broken.html

The Broken Cross has been called a Neronic Cross or Nero's Cross in recognition of Nero's attempt to suppress the rise of Christianity. This was actually used by Nero as an anti-xtian symbol during his rule. Fun fact, Nero did believe that getting rid of xtinaity would bring world peace.

The Broken Cross has Pagan roots, being the inverse of the Pythagorean symbol for life and Teutonic rune of death. It can represent the antithesis of all that Christianity stands for, to some people it represents a mockery of xtianity.

I like the thought of getting this. I'm really into symbols, I already wear a lot of alchemic symbols - and gotten some idiotic xtian comments on those who think they're satanic. Sheesh. There's a lot of pagan mysticism tied in to the cross though which gets confusing, but nothing over the top.

Plus its not obvious to most people what it means, if I don't want to get into what it represents I can say its a rune (technically not wrong), so it doesn't cause an everyday issue.

Now only to decide where I would have it put...

What do you guys think about it?

I say wait till you get old to get a tattoo. Then it won't get old and ugly along with you. You'd better put it some place easy to hide too, if you want to get a decent job later on.

• Super Moderator

I understand the meaning, but in real life it looks like a chicken foot.

• Like 2

Atheism is fine and dandy, but in my opinion it’s not worth getting a tattoo over.

Have you considered the "Atheist Atom" symbol?

Q_AtheistSymbolBK.gif

I say wait till you get old to get a tattoo. Then it won't get old and ugly along with you.

Doesn't everything look old and ugly at that age range though?

Atheism is fine and dandy, but in my opinion it’s not worth getting a tattoo over.

I've seen plenty of tattoos done for worse reasons.

Have you considered the "Atheist Atom" symbol?

Yeah, but I don't think I'd go for it.

I don't want to get a large tatoo of the symbol, I'm thinking more of a small one, between 1 - 1.5 inches.

Just a sidenote: Here in Germany at least I guess quite a few people would interpret this as the emblem of the goo' ol' peace movement, although commonly that would be not just the upside-down Algiz rune but also a circle around it. Not exactly a bad thing, but hey, another "chance" for misunderstanding so I think it should get mentioned.

That said, if you plan a small easily-disguised tattoo indeed and are aware of what consequences it might have to bear that thing for many years... it's your decision :)

One of these days I will get this:

nessa2_small.jpg

It's very nerdy (from an RPG) but the short explanation is that it's the symbol of torment.

It's something I'd be willing to wear for the rest of my life. And I wanted it before I had even heard of emo, so shut up.

Silentloner, before I offer suggestions and opinions, just one caveat. If you decide to visit Japan one day, be aware that some public baths and hot springs resorts don't allow customers with tattoos. The prohibition is because most Japanese associate tattoos with Yakuza. I don't know that you'd have any trouble being American, but I thought it best to make sure you're aware.

Now on to the main topic. The design you have looks pretty neat, but make sure that it does mean what you think it means.(I'm certain you have already, I'm just saying.). Now, as for my suggestion for a design, I'd get a good artist to illustrate a literally broken cross. Something like a cross broken in two right beneath the cross beam, or shattered into several different pieces.

Another idea covers most of the world's religions: praying hands with an anti-symbol on them.

In regard to placement of your atheist tattoo, if you want it to not cause much of an issue, you might want to have it put above one of your inside ankles. It's where I had my kanji tattoo put, and it's easy to cover just by pulling up my sock.(I still have to act like a ninja though, since I live with my folks, and make sure they don't see my feet with my socks off.)

Once you think you're finally ready to take the plunge, I suggest first reading "The Idiot's Guide to Getting a Tattoo" by John Reardon. I checked it out from work and it has some pretty good info on what to expect, and taking care of your tattoo afterwards so it can heal properly(applying ointment, and keeping the tattoo moisturized, etc).

Also make sure you do some footwork so you find the best studio, one that fits your budget, is safe and clean, has staff that answers any questions you have and address whatever concerns you may have.

I was a bit lucky in that I knew one of the apprentices at the studio I visited, and when I came for my tattoo, he directed me to a really good and friendly artist. Whatever you do, don't get a tattoo from an artist who is obnoxious or otherwise has a bad attitude. Tattoos may still have a stigma of being for "rowdy folks", but you shouldn't have to get a tattoo from someone who's got a nasty attitude.

As an example of what to expect, here's how my visit went. I talked to the staff at the counter, showed them the design I wanted,(or you can pick one from the wall).

I filled out a yes/no checklist that asked if I had any health concerns.I also filled out a sheet with my name, address and phone number and then signed a disclaimer that followed that the studio would not be held liable in the event of any complications. I then paid the $70 fee the artist agreed on for my particular tattoo.

I then went into one of the rooms which has the tattooist's equipment and sat down in the tattoo chair.(Similar to a barber's chair.)The artist applied the stencil to the spot I requested and went over it with temporary ink to make an outline he could use as a reference. He then had me stand up and take a look at it in the wall mirror so he and I both could be sure that's what I wanted. I sat in the chair and put my legs on supports so the artist could work.

Now to the important question: Does it hurt? Yes. But it's not screaming, "OMIGOD I'M GONNA DIE!" pain. It stings, and it did feel a little bit intense but after a little while I got used to it.

I did feel a tiny bit lightheaded and the artist asked if I was ok.(Some people pass out when they get tattoed.) I told him I felt a little woozy so he got one of the assistants to get me a couple of glucose tablets and a cup of water.

After that, it seemed to go pretty well. Once he was done he got me to look in the mirror and ask if the work looked alright. I told him it did and was very pleased. He then applied a bandage to cover the tattoo.He gave me some care instructions for the tattoo, and told me to come back for a check up in two weeks to make sure the tattoo had healed alright and there were no problems.

I still felt a little fuzzy and asked if I could sit on one of the couches in the lobby , he said yes so I rested for a little while before I left.(By the way, be sure to tip your artist . I thought he did an excellent job, so I dropped a twenty in his tip jar.)

Just remember, barring lasers, tattoos are forever, so just make sure you get something that you'll still like when you're old and gray.

(Here's what I got last Friday)

KAIJUssmall.jpg

It looks like a bird track. -shrugs-

Dunno,somehow I don't like the idea of getting a death rune in order to represent your atheist side.

Ah, the days of agonizing over the first tattoo. I told my wife the other day that I can't believe how far I've come. I, too, agonized over my first couple of tattoos. Now, it is such a part of what I enjoy in life. My latest addition was "just for fun" :lmao:

Good luck with whatever you choose. If you only want something 1 inch or so, don't sweat it. You can always have it covered later if you change your mind.

I say wait till you get old to get a tattoo. Then it won't get old and ugly along with you.

Doesn't everything look old and ugly at that age range though?

Imo, old, ugly, saggy, but decorated looks like a cake hit by a fire hose.

To each his own, though.

Silentloner, before I offer suggestions and opinions, just one caveat. If you decide to visit Japan one day, be aware that some public baths and hot springs resorts don't allow customers with tattoos. The prohibition is because most Japanese associate tattoos with Yakuza. I don't know that you'd have any trouble being American, but I thought it best to make sure you're aware.

I guess thats okay - I don't think I'd be big on the public baths. I know about the yakuza/tattoo association, but again its not like I'm going to have it put on my forehead.

In regard to placement of your atheist tattoo, if you want it to not cause much of an issue, you might want to have it put above one of your inside ankles. It's where I had my kanji tattoo put, and it's easy to cover just by pulling up my sock.(I still have to act like a ninja though, since I live with my folks, and make sure they don't see my feet with my socks off.)

Good idea. I might consider putting it there. Nice designs, btw.

Dunno,somehow I don't like the idea of getting a death rune in order to represent your atheist side.

Thats one interpretation. In another it represents life. Again I don't think its meaning is common knowledge.

is the white guy the holy spirit?? then you could get this?

248-ghostbuster.png

I'm getting a quote tattood on my arm (opposite the celtic cross I got when I was younger). It'll be the one in my signature. I say get whatever blows your hair back. If you want an atheist tattoo, go for it. Remember it's for you and not everyone else ... and really they don't have to mean anything at all. How about the symbol Dawkins is using for his out campaign. You can find it on his website. It's just a red A. Maybe find a quote that you really like. Speaking from experience, for your first tattoo, go with a fleshy part of your body. Lower tummy, maybe off near your hip if you're not very thin, side of you butt. Stay away from bone until you know if you can deal with the pain. My first was a very large piece on my ribs over a scar, and I threw up through part of it. Of course, it didn't stop me from going back for more tattoos, so maybe it doesn't really matter. You could always go with your back, on your shoulder blade ... it's easily hidden, but you can show it off in casual clothes, and it doesn't hurt too badly ... or there's always the tramp stamp ;)

is the white guy the holy spirit?? then you could get this?

248-ghostbuster.png

lol maybe if I didn't hate the film.

for SilentLoner----------

A little story here about tats. My father was a WWII veteran. Growing up I became so accustomed to the tattoo on his right forearm that I never even gave it a second thought. After he died, I asked my Mom what the tat was for. It seems he was engaged to be married to a girl before the war. He gave her everything, including even his furniture. He had her name tattooed on his forearm along with an arrow running through a large heart. Well in October of 1941, just before Pearl Harbor happened, he got drafted into the Army.

He was gone for nearly 5 years. While he was overseas, the bitch "Dear John'd" him, and started seeing another guy. He never saw her again. And she kept everything he had given her.

So the moral of this little story is -----------don't get anything tattooed on your body that you might not want to live with 30 years from now. He was stuck with that cunt's name on his arm until the day he died in 1987. He pounded on both me and my older brother to never get a tattoo. Neither one of us ever did, and my brother spent 4 years in the Navy during Vietnam. I'm nearly 60 now, and I would consider getting a Humanistic tat if I was so inclined. But then my kids are grown up and gone, and I live alone. So I don't have to worry about explaining myself to anyone. Your mileage may vary.

The "Out Campaign" "A" isn't a bad idea, but you might want to consider something with a more Humanistic approach to it. Much less confrontational, especially if it's to be displayed someplace where everyone will routinely be able to see it. It's one thing to want to display your secularism, and I fully support that. It's quite another to turn yourself into an asshole magnet at a young age.

Just sayin------------

I'm getting a quote tattood on my arm (opposite the celtic cross I got when I was younger). It'll be the one in my signature. I say get whatever blows your hair back. If you want an atheist tattoo, go for it. Remember it's for you and not everyone else ... and really they don't have to mean anything at all. How about the symbol Dawkins is using for his out campaign. You can find it on his website. It's just a red A. Maybe find a quote that you really like. Speaking from experience, for your first tattoo, go with a fleshy part of your body. Lower tummy, maybe off near your hip if you're not very thin, side of you butt. Stay away from bone until you know if you can deal with the pain. My first was a very large piece on my ribs over a scar, and I threw up through part of it. Of course, it didn't stop me from going back for more tattoos, so maybe it doesn't really matter. You could always go with your back, on your shoulder blade ... it's easily hidden, but you can show it off in casual clothes, and it doesn't hurt too badly ... or there's always the tramp stamp ;)

Ahhhh, the ribcage tattoo. That is most definitely the most painful one I have :D

for SilentLoner----------

A little story here about tats. My father was a WWII veteran. Growing up I became so accustomed to the tattoo on his right forearm that I never even gave it a second thought. After he died, I asked my Mom what the tat was for. It seems he was engaged to be married to a girl before the war. He gave her everything, including even his furniture. He had her name tattooed on his forearm along with an arrow running through a large heart. Well in October of 1941, just before Pearl Harbor happened, he got drafted into the Army.

He was gone for nearly 5 years. While he was overseas, the bitch "Dear John'd" him, and started seeing another guy. He never saw her again. And she kept everything he had given her.

So the moral of this little story is -----------don't get anything tattooed on your body that you might not want to live with 30 years from now. He was stuck with that cunt's name on his arm until the day he died in 1987. He pounded on both me and my older brother to never get a tattoo.

About the only people who ever regret their tattoos are people like your grandfather who got someone's name. Name tattoos are the biggest regrets - that, and probably trendy tats. As long as it's something thought out and meaningful to him, he most likely won't regret it, as the majority of people don't. If he does, it's not the end of the world. He can get it covered up with another tattoo or just deal with it. It's not the end of the world.

I say wait till you get old to get a tattoo. Then it won't get old and ugly along with you. You'd better put it some place easy to hide too, if you want to get a decent job later on.

Plenty of people have "decent" jobs and have inked sleeves or entire body suits. It's called a long sleeved shirt. There are police officers, lawyers, doctors, judges, CEO's, and all sorts of others with more than "decent" jobs who have ink. Unless you get it plastered on your face, neck, or hands, you can get tens of thousands of dollars worth of ink all over your body. As far as waiting until he's older, it will stay in fine shape as long as he protects his skin like a person should. He can always get it touched up down the road as well.

tens of thousands of dollars worth of ink all over your body

An excellent all-American alternative to frittering away that dough on, say, mosquito netting for children in malarial Africa.

An excellent all-American alternative to frittering away that dough on, say, mosquito netting for children in malarial Africa.

What kind of car do you drive? If I was that into tattoos I'd keep driving shitty used cars so that it all evens out in the end. And maybe the tattoo artist will donate some of the profits to OxFam.

The point is that it can be done and no one will no and a lot of people won't care. I'm sure you give all of your extra money away to the needy, so there's no way I could possibly call you a hypocrite.

Yep. Husband and I only have bought a series of crappy used Subarus; spend hundreds/thousands of hours yearly (and many dollars we barely have) on issues of homelessness and poverty in the U. S.; adopted two kids out of the foster system, and would do it all again in lieu of tens of thousands of dollars worth of skin decoration.

Both of our kids, btw, now have tats and piercings. They know what we think. Doesn't make a bit of difference to them, though. As I said earlier in this thread, to each his own. We all have to figure out what's important to us.