Goodbye Jesus

Examples Of Evolution

Guest Davka

Creationists don't believe in evolution because it obviously did not happen to their family line.

HA!:lmao:

Guest I Love Dog

If there really was a creator god then changes would happen quickly instead of taking millions of years to evolve. Wouldn't a creator god be refining his creations quickly all of the time to adapt to modern challenges?

• 1 month later...

I see that a lot of people find DNA to be a great proof of evolution. I agree. What science now needs to accomplish is a bulletproof theory of how DNA (and simple life) came to be from naturalistic chemical reactions. I hear time and time again from my peers "science can't explain where life came from without god." I know there is good conjecture now (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis), but a perfected theory of abiogenesis is the next step in evolutionary biology and will put an end to creationism and force their "god of the gaps" into an even smaller gap.

Bacteria that eats nylon has been discovered

Oh dang.

That will cause a problem for the textile industry.

It's a very cool evidence of evolution, however, since nylon is not a natural product but synthetic.

Did God create nylon bacteria 6,000 years ago in expectation of us developing artificial fabric in 1935? What a sinister God! :grin:

The adaptation formed in a waste dump for a nylon factory in japan i believe. Thus far the bacteria has not created an epidemic of holey clothes

Guest Babylonian Dream

Oh dang.

That will cause a problem for the textile industry.

It's a very cool evidence of evolution, however, since nylon is not a natural product but synthetic.

Did God create nylon bacteria 6,000 years ago in expectation of us developing artificial fabric in 1935? What a sinister God! :grin:

Luckily there were humans to create nylon, those poor bacteria had to endure starvation for a really really long time.

The adaptation formed in a waste dump for a nylon factory in japan i believe. Thus far the bacteria has not created an epidemic of holey clothes

As for now. It's just like MRSA. It started very small and is now pretty much everywhere.

Luckily there were humans to create nylon, those poor bacteria had to endure starvation for a really really long time.

My thought exactly. :grin:

I've always loved this video!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Humans?

If the Biblay is to be assumed true then from Adam and Eve all Mankind came.

If there is no evolution of species explain: Asian's, Caucasian's , Negro's etc

Humans?

Not only that, everyone on the planet was killed in the flood, so the truth is, according to the Bible, we all came from Noah, which makes it even more curious.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

50% bananas, no wonder the simpsons have yellow skin.

I love bananas. They're good for me, and plus, they are banana flavored!

As it turns out (LOL), they are also the atheist's worse nightmare!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how far back we can find a record of there being separate human races? (Caucasian, African etc.) I'm thinking to at least 2500 yrs. ago, but even if we round that to 2000 that still only gives humanity what like 2300 yrs from the alleged noahic flood to genetically diverge that dramatically? Shouldn't the genetic evidence bear this out if that were the case? It's amazing how the YECers so absolutely bar any thought of YEC being wrong from their mind, I mean shit, even I still wonder if there may be someone out there. but then I remember, they think they are supposed to "bring every thought into captivity". An anti-rational statement if there ever was one.

Does anyone know how far back we can find a record of there being separate human races? (Caucasian, African etc.) I'm thinking to at least 2500 yrs. ago, but even if we round that to 2000 that still only gives humanity what like 2300 yrs from the alleged noahic flood to genetically diverge that dramatically? Shouldn't the genetic evidence bear this out if that were the case? It's amazing how the YECers so absolutely bar any thought of YEC being wrong from their mind, I mean shit, even I still wonder if there may be someone out there. but then I remember, they think they are supposed to "bring every thought into captivity". An anti-rational statement if there ever was one.

There's been caucasian and african "races" for about 70,000 years (according to some info I found).

Another dilemma with the YEC model is to explain where all parasites, bacteria, etc comes from. It's not enough to blame "the fall" for this since "good" bacteria must've changed genetically to "bad" bacteria (same for parasites and such). And change either comes from mutations or God manipulation. If God manipulated the genes, he's evil. If it was mutation, they're all examples of "fit" mutations since they improved their own success of reproduction, i.e. evolution works.

• 2 months later...

Humans?

I kid you not, I once had a christard tell me, and I quote...

"No, you dummy, all the different races happened when did the thing with the tower of Babble."

I tried explaining a simplified version of natural selection, but what could I possibly know about "when he did the thing with the tower"?

I wasn't even a christian!

• Like 1

Wheat, dogs, corn, bananas, sweet peas, fruit fly experiments.. any actual domestication of anything - sheep even.

viruses and bacteria 

diseases of all kinds... especially that avian flu and ebola... C. Dificile is another (sp?)

homo neanderthal and homo floriensis  (homo means human)

Homo

Definition

noun

(taxonomy) A genus comprised of primates characterized by bipedalism, skills in tool usage, and large cranial capacity.

fossils, geological strata

genetic traits

DNA

amino acids, nucleo peptides and certain clay environments (i.e.: biochemistry)

Abiogenesis research

Astronomy and Cosmology

amino acids on comets and asteroids

creation of at least ONE of the 4 chemicals of DNA in the laboratory by electrochemical means 

Of course you could just go to Science News Daily and do your own research... and be sure to check papers and citations, for verification.

stop watching Honey Boo Boo

The one type of animal that has stopped evolving is called "creationists". And even with them only the brain has stopped evolving. It stopped about the time the neanderthals died out. But possibly they didn't die out after all.  bill

• Like 1

A creationist who claims that science can't prove the first life through a biochemical process misses the point. Even if that were true, the evolution of man from earlier and simpler life forms has been proven and that is wholly inconsistent with Genesis. So even if a supernatural being created life, it sure as hell wasn't the Bible god.  bill

• Like 1

Humans?

I kid you not, I once had a christard tell me, and I quote...

"No, you dummy, all the different races happened when did the thing with the tower of Babble."

I tried explaining a simplified version of natural selection, but what could I possibly know about "when he did the thing with the tower"?

I wasn't even a christian!

I've used the example; "If all the human race came from two people, why are there 7 blood types?"

• Like 1

I've used the example; "If all the human race came from two people, why are there 7 blood types?"

Heck. That's a good one! Do you mind if I use it?

I had to ask and look it up.

There are 8

O+

O-

A+

A-

B+

B-

AB+

AB-

http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/blood-types

However I do not recommend using this argument with a Christian because it is not sound.  Odds are that most Christians won't know why it isn't sound  but that isn't the point.

and some even rarer ones

Ethnic Group Rare Blood Type

African-American U-, Fy(a-b-)

Native American, Alaskan Native RzRz

Pacific Island, Asian Jk (a-b-)

Hispanic Di(b-)

East European/Russian Jews Dr(a-)

Caucasian Kp(b-), Vel-

http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/blood-and-diversity

• Like 1

Anything that breeds very quickly, and has a high rate of mutation you can watch evolve in real time. For high profile examples, go with drug-resistant strains of bacteria, like TB. They divide at a tribble-like rate (the only reason we're not wading through a slurpy sea of bacteria is bacteriophages) and TB is under really heavy selective pressure due to humanity trying it's level best to wipe it out.

For more specific illustrations, and "concept killer" examples for ID-ers and creationists, I do have a few go-to examples.

Animals are not "perfectly designed" at all.

Ever choke on anything? Yeah. In mammals, the food hole and the air hole is the same hole for a good stretch of the way down. This is... inconvenient. But, choking's so random, and doesn't happen often enough to exert pressure against this on our genome. I guess God likes snakes more. In this article, the snake's glottis, the opening of the respiratory tract, is that tube outlined by a paperclip. Some snakes can even extrude the glottis forward, out of their mouth, so that they can breathe while swallowing things bigger than their own head. That's why boas don't choke on goats. Egg eating snakes! Squee! (Choking is my favourite example for this, since pretty much everybody has had personal experience with it, and snakes, of all creatures - eeevil, as in Satan's own, right? - don't have that problem.)

Animals DO have traits leftover from their ancestry.

This one drives me nuts. Why don't cats have eight legs? Cause they're descendants of things with four, that's why. If you seek it's monument, look around you. The idea that "Types" (whatever that means) of creatures just POOF-ed into being without any commonalities doesn't make sense at all, and is contradicted by just looking at critters. It's like these people have never even seen actual animals before. God's not very creative, either. I want an octo-donkey. ...Anyway, on to the example.

Fun fact: birds definitely DO have leftovers of their earlier dinosaur forelimbs. There's actually LOTS of living birds that have legit CLAWS on their wings. (It's just that most of these are covered in fluff, so you don't see it so well.) Ostriches. Or, much more obviously, Hoatzin chicks. A more in-depth article, from the old location of my beloved Tetrapod Zoology blog. (Now it's at Scientific American.)