Goodbye Jesus

The Earth Is Older Than The Sun?

wannabewriterB

It just kinda struck me last night while reading Genesis (yet again) that the Bible claims:

1) the earth existed before the sun

2) god only created two 'lights' one to rule the day and one to rule the night.

How does this make any sense? Don't we know that stars giving off light now died millions of years ago? And the moon is not a 'light' at all. It just reflects light, right? And the moon and sun are no greater than any of the other stars or bodies in the sky.

None of it makese sense. How did I not catch this years ago?

Becky

Shhhh!!! Don't let 'em hear you thinking!! They'll drop the "F" bomb on you!

"You just gotta have Faith!!"

I've got another one for you. Psalm 104:5 - " He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved."

Apparently we have been wrong about this whole "Earth going around the Sun" thing this whole time. Perhaps this will be the next topic discussed by the Kansas school board, ultimatly leading Kansas to found its own space agency since none of thier graduates would be employable by NASA. For "unexplained reasons" every rocket they try to launch will fall back to Earth. :rolleyes:

I've got another one for you. Psalm 104:5 - " He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved."

Apparently we have been wrong about this whole "Earth going around the Sun" thing this whole time. Perhaps this will be the next topic discussed by the Kansas school board, ultimatly leading Kansas to found its own space agency since none of thier graduates would be employable by NASA. For "unexplained reasons" every rocket they try to launch will fall back to Earth. :rolleyes:

It would bounce off of the vault of the heavens.

No one knows how old the Earth and sun are because there are no records to indicate this. What we do know is that we should be good so we can go to Heaven and avoid evil so we won't go to Hell

No one knows how old the Earth and sun are because there are no records to indicate this. What we do know is that we should be good so we can go to Heaven and avoid evil so we won't go to Hell

We can get a pretty good estimate based on science that is far more accurate than the deranged myths of a tribe of barely civilized Semitics in the Fertile Crescent.

As for not really noticing the passage in Genesis, yes, I read it and saw it as flawed. I chalked that up to the knowledge of the ancients at that time and so could not really see the Bible as a divine book. It like many other ancient texts contain similar myths about the creation of earth, sun and moon. While some mythological metaphors come closer to the truth than others, they are still bullshit. Hell the Simarillian would make a better holy book, because at least the prose is better written, and the characters easier to stomach.

Current models of stellar evolution and spectroscopic analysis of radionuclides (nucleocosmochronology) have placed the age of the Sun at about 4.57 billion years old (4.57 x 109 years). The earliest parts of the Solar System date at around 4.5672 ± 0.0006 billion years (4.57 x 109 ± 6.0 x 10-4 years) with the formation of the Earth and the Moon at 4.54 and 4.53 billion years ago.

Uranium-238 has a half life of 4.5 billion years so technically any uranium formed from the last supernova event before the formation of the Sun should drop about half of its activity by now, and can thus be measured (and probably have been measured to obtain some of the above data).

Current models of stellar evolution and spectroscopic analysis of radionuclides (nucleocosmochronology) have placed the age of the Sun at about 4.57 billion years old (4.57 x 109 years). The earliest parts of the Solar System date at around 4.5672 ± 0.0006 billion years (4.57 x 109 ± 6.0 x 10-4 years) with the formation of the Earth and the Moon at 4.54 and 4.53 billion years ago.

Uranium-238 has a half life of 4.5 billion years so technically any uranium formed from the last supernova event before the formation of the Sun should drop about half of its activity by now, and can thus be measured (and probably have been measured to obtain some of the above data).

Ha, you said it more succinctly then I ever could.

Anytime science contradicts anything said in the Judaic/Christian bible, I just ignore what a bronze aged text says.

It just kinda struck me last night while reading Genesis (yet again) that the Bible claims:

How does this make any sense? Don't we know that stars giving off light now died millions of years ago? And the moon is not a 'light' at all. It just reflects light, right? And the moon and sun are no greater than any of the other stars or bodies in the sky.

Becky

Aw so, you learn quickly grasshopper. The force is strong in this one!

Reasoning skills you have.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FaithDefender619

Becky

1. What makes you think God couldn't have created the earth before the sun. And this was a day before life was put on earth. Sooooo....???

2. We know this? Did YOU actually research this yourself or did you read something by a scientist and take it as fact? Isn't that faith?

3. So you're telling me that Alcyone or Ursa Minor in our sky is just as important or great as the sun? Really?

4. Is it unscientific to say the sun sets? NO so then its not really unscientific to say the moon is a light or gives off light.

2. We know this? Did YOU actually research this yourself or did you read something by a scientist and take it as fact? Isn't that faith?

Faith? Hardly. You see, in science we have this lovely little thing called "peer review" that's very useful in keeping people from making shit up and peddling it as fact. I recommend doing some reading on the subject, since you're clearly unfamiliar with it.

Guest FaithDefender619

Faith? Hardly. You see, in science we have this lovely little thing called "peer review" that's very useful in keeping people from making shit up and peddling it as fact. I recommend doing some reading on the subject, since you're clearly unfamiliar with it.

1. Were u present during the peer review? Since you weren't how do you know they were being honest? Really and you don't think medicines that kill people don't have peer reviewed literature giving them the green light only find out that it gives people cancer, gal bladder disease or nerve disorders.

2.I am familiar with it but that still doesn't answer the question. Ultimately you had absolutely no first hand interaction with the data in question so you still for all intents and purposes are taking what these people are telling you as fact which amounts to FAITH.

1. Were u present during the peer review? Since you weren't how do you know they were being honest? Really and you don't think medicines that kill people don't have peer reviewed literature giving them the green light only find out that it gives people cancer, gal bladder disease or nerve disorders.

2.I am familiar with it but that still doesn't answer the question. Ultimately you had absolutely no first hand interaction with the data in question so you still for all intents and purposes are taking what these people are telling you as fact which amounts to FAITH.

You see, we have this thing called 'Evidence'. It corroborates our story. It's not just 'someone's word' it's several independent sources, and many different types of evidence, all corroborating to the same conclusion.

We don't need to have seen it first hand, because there's also this thing called records, and 'showing the work' so it can be verified as accurate by others. Which, by the way, they did, and it's been getting checked and rechecked for centuries now. It keeps getting verified, and has only become more solid, supportive, and conclusive.

Your argument doesn't have any evidence. It kept becoming less solid, and less likely, until it was completely invalid. It is completely contradictory to all known evidence on the subject. It is completely not true, and has been proven so.

You see, it is not the conclusion of a singular group or individual, but rather the collected conclusion of hundreds, even thousands of years of research from multiple sources the world over, that eventually all reached the same conclusion.

You have a 2,000 year old anthology of Jewish fairytails.

Are you seeing the problem here, or is it still beyond your grasp?

Faith = Belief without evidence.

The Sun being older than the Earth has lots of evidence.

The Earth being older than the Sun contradicts all known evidence. There is no evidence to support that conclusion.

Ergo, your faith that the Sun is younger than the Earth is in error.

The problem here is on your end, not ours.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Contra. Although I suppose that should be a given--me having a vagina and all, I'm unfit to teach a man. ;)

I'm always leery of interpreting Genesis in any straightforward fashion. I suspect that many Christians would merely cast it off as yet another ability of the supernatural.

Some apologists may get around this by denying the premise that a young earth is what is being depicted in Genesis. I also think that this move might be more defensible.

This is a really interesting post -- nice eye.

I'm always leery of interpreting Genesis in any straightforward fashion. I suspect that many Christians would merely cast it off as yet another ability of the supernatural.

Some apologists may get around this by denying the premise that a young earth is what is being depicted in Genesis. I also think that this move might be more defensible.

This is a really interesting post -- nice eye.

You know, it really is kind of fun to take some ancient vague religious writ and force it to conform to modern science or morality. I can make black into white, right into left, old into new. I could be a great apologist.

But that would be dishonest, and that's the one stumbling block. I can't be dishonest with myself.

P.S. If you would like for me to give an apology for how the Earth is older than the Sun, just let me know. It's dishonest, but irrefutable.

1. What makes you think God couldn't have created the earth before the sun. And this was a day before life was put on earth. Sooooo....???

Phanta

FD is collapsing into sollipsism.

The world, according to his world system could have been made 6,000 years ago, in a few days.

It could just have easily been created 5 minutes ago with the buildings built, the plant planted, the fossils waiting to be discovered, and the nuclear isotopes decayed enough to give the appearance of age. To FD, we live in the Matrix of God, where nothing is real.

Simple answer to the OP's problem with earth/sun ...God did it!!!!!!...and this collection of stories by some iron age sheep herders proves it! That's all the evidence these idiots need.

Why would anyone believe all this modern science? We can't understand it, so it can't be true, right?

I think I'll stick with a 2,000 year old book. That's when people really knew what they were talking about.

Why not go back to putting leeches on sick people or drilling a hole in a mentally retarded persons skull to let the demons escape?

Plus, there is this guy at work...I'm sure he's gay. Let's get some stonin' going! :jerkit:

Freddy

Why would anyone believe all this modern science? We can't understand it, so it can't be true, right?

I think I'll stick with a 2,000 year old book. That's when people really knew what they were talking about.

Why not go back to putting leeches on sick people or drilling a hole in a mentally retarded persons skull to let the demons escape?

Plus, there is this guy at work...I'm sure he's gay. Let's get some stonin' going! :jerkit:

Freddy

You'll have to invite FaithDefender619 to cast the first stone.