Goodbye Jesus

Why Are Christians So Afraid To Die?

Saffron

Jake

I can't wait to die because the world I live in is a terrible and sinful place.I await the return of Jesus with patience and excitement.

Jake, Jake, Jake, you poor fellow. You do realize that it is you who is entertaining a great evil here, don't you? This isn't what Jesus talked about. This isn't "my yoke is easy and my burden is light". You don't even understand your own Christ, do you ?

You must live with a lot of fear and anguish to say something like this, son. Who are these people who have made you so afraid to enjoy your life and explore your own thinking ? Who has turned your existence into a haunted house and gotten you to hate humanity so ?

Jesus isn't coming back, at least in your lifetime. Better get used to that. God gave you a mind. Start reading some books. Science, philosophy, biographies of people who have done great things. All you have is humanity. There are no magical beings who are going to give you a fluffy afterlife and take away all your anguish.

You're not afraid to die ? You're terrified of living, though. Like so many religious people who say these kinds of things. Many of us are enjoying our lives, and seeing the good things in our humanity, and no, we're not going to be punished later on for it.

At least think about it a little. And if not, at least study Jesus a little more deeply. He would not want you to live with this kind of attitude.

You don't even understand your own Christ, do you?

And if not, at least study Jesus a little more deeply. He would not want you to live with this kind of attitude.

Maybe I shouldn't bring this up. Because on the whole you gave good advise. But where the hell does this come from? I mean seriously the fundy Jesus has at least as much scriputural support as feel good liberal Jesus.

At the very least statements like these highlight why I've always found the whole. "Where do christians get off telling Jews they don't understand their own scriptures" as being a flimsy argument.

What would be a good analogy for death to someone expecting eternal life in paradise after death?

Does anyone fear a trip to Disneyland?

What would be a good analogy for death to someone expecting eternal life in paradise after death?

I guess, that most xians have no idea what to expect when they are dead. As a xian I was never sure if I was saved or not (baptized as a child, as an adult and baptized with the spirit, confessed that jesus is lord...). I guess it is because the bible is not clear on this topic. You always have to watch your steps, because there could be "a lion" trying to eat you. Xianity is not about freedom. Now as a ex-xian I can honestly say: "I have no idea what will happen if I am dead, but at least I have this in common with many people."

On youtube a xian said, that atheist would be afraid of death. That would be the reason why we would be so aggressive. As a xian he would know for sure where he would go with his last breath. The atheist would be the ones that need to be afraid of death.

I guess, that most xians have no idea what to expect when they are dead. As a xian I was never sure if I was saved or not (baptized as a child, as an adult and baptized with the spirit, confessed that jesus is lord...). I guess it is because the bible is not clear on this topic. You always have to watch your steps, because there could be "a lion" trying to eat you. Xianity is not about freedom. Now as a ex-xian I can honestly say: "I have no idea what will happen if I am dead, but at least I have this in common with many people."

On youtube a xian said, that atheist would be afraid of death. That would be the reason why we would be so aggressive. As a xian he would know for sure where he would go with his last breath. The atheist would be the ones that need to be afraid of death.

I wonder if he has ever met anyone that isn't Christian and had a discussion with them. Somehow, even if he did, he did not understand what he was told.

But as far as knowing what to expect, isn't that what the Bible is for? You have to know what to do, shouldn't you also know why you are doing it?

What happened to the streets of gold, many mansions, and the eternal church service?

And the 72 virgins?

But as far as knowing what to expect, isn't that what the Bible is for? You have to know what to do, shouldn't you also know why you are doing it?

What happened to the streets of gold, many mansions, and the eternal church service?

And the 72 virgins?

72 of them? What a nightmare. I am glad that I am not a martyr. But I would love an eternal church service as long as they would offer a free refill of coffee.

And xians do not do this for a reward. They do it out of love and obedience.

I think it is for two reason, both fear motivated. 1) What if there weren't right about their religion? 2) What if they were right, but committed the unforgivable sin or something like that and are going to hell.

See if you are an atheist, you don't fear these irrational things.

Here is an interesting article taking about a study:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/301/11/1140

I will copy the interesting part here. "Positive religious coping in patients with advanced cancer is associated with receipt of intensive life-prolonging medical care near death. "

You are trying to justify and protect your father while you put to shame his life and everything that he lived for with your words.This may hurt to read and I am sorry for that.

Let's see. Pious, self-centered, judgemental asshole. Yep, you're a True ChristianTM.

I think the main reasons christians possibly still fear death have already been spelled out nicely.

1. They're still biological creatures, and survival urges usually win over religious crazy thoughts.

2. They have lingering doubts over their "saved status", over how they will be judged by Gawd, etc.

3. Deep down, they just know it's bullshit, and fear the end of their self.

I think I put them in order of prevalence, anyway. Sincere in faith or not, the bible points out over and over how one can't know the "mind of God," as it were. You simply don't know if you're making it to heaven, no matter what the preacher who dunked you said. Besides, he's likely full of shit.

As for me, I've never really feared death. As a christian, I feared hell, but a long time ago, I decided fearing the inevitable is rather silly. And now, as my weirdo mystical self, I don't know if my consciousness will continue in some other form, or if it will wink out, and all that's left is decaying flesh. I'm fine with either one. I'll burn that bride when I get to it.

PS. I want a bonfire and cake at MY funeral.

PPS. just thought of a cute bumpersticker I saw around town - New Orleans: We put the FUN in funeral!

You don't even understand your own Christ, do you?

And if not, at least study Jesus a little more deeply. He would not want you to live with this kind of attitude.

Maybe I shouldn't bring this up. Because on the whole you gave good advise. But where the hell does this come from? I mean seriously the fundy Jesus has at least as much scriputural support as feel good liberal Jesus.

At the very least statements like these highlight why I've always found the whole. "Where do christians get off telling Jews they don't understand their own scriptures" as being a flimsy argument.

I suppose sometimes that Ex-Christians still feel some affinity for their former view and concept of Christ. Likely this kid won't be back, but I thought I'd soften him up again since his position was, to be honest shocking. (although we all should be used to this by now)

But point taken.

I suppose sometimes that Ex-Christians still feel some affinity for their former view and concept of Christ. Likely this kid won't be back, but I thought I'd soften him up again since his position was, to be honest shocking. (although we all should be used to this by now)

But point taken.

I understand that most people in the western world think of Jesus as the perfect man, and as such many people wish to co-opt him for their own world-view.

Personally, I can see all the doctrines, and manipulation which were used to destroy my soul in church, in Jesus's teachings in the gospels, and I don't see any reason to believe that gospel Jesus is a corruption of the original.

The writers knew that Christians would commit suicide in droves once they thought they were going to heaven after death, so they threw in the suicide plug.

But if they are recklessly endangering themselves and something 'accidentally' happens then it's not necessarily suicide..

Indeed, this is one of the reasons that during the late Roman Empire, during times of Christian persecution, some Christians actually presented themselves before the authorities with the hope of becoming martyrs.

One of my favorite quotes about this comes from a Roman governor who rejected an entire group of Christians who presented themselves for martyrdom: "O miserable men, if you wish to die, you have nooses and precipices." (Followed, no doubt, by "GTFO!")