Goodbye Jesus

What Is The Most Annoying Type Of 'christian'?

ContraBardus

freddiemercuryv.jpg

The most annoying type of Christian is the one who completely fails on every level to justify any belief and then says, "You've only strengthened my faith." They might as well just give me the finger at that point.

Runner up for most annoying type of Christian: Christian pseudo-intellectuals. William Lane Craig especially.

freddiemercuryv.jpg

And since I'm a woman, I don't have anything he ever wanted.

freddiemercuryv.jpg

And since I'm a woman, I don't have anything he ever wanted.

True either way, but Freddie will still Rock you for the sheer joy of Rocking anyway.

Ones like my sister in law, who was always sickly sweet,totally unreal and never questioned anything - ever - never had a real thought and believed everthing her husband says - a pasty- yuk :close::shrug:

If there's one kind of stupid I really hate, it's willful stupidity. The intentional kind where the fool takes pride in their own dumbness.

I think this is what Darklady is talking about, and I'd agree it's really irritating. They're often very cheerful people, but they literally don't -want- to learn anything because they're afraid it might interfere with their Faith.

The "I'm an idiot on purpose because God obviously wants us all to be morons. Learning stuff is dangerous because it might make you not believe in God anymore."

It's like they have some strange phobia about using their own brain and making decisions of their own. In fact, that might actually be the exact case.

@Darklady: BTW out of curiosity, is your Username a Sailor Moon reference or does it have some other meaning?

darkladyw.jpg

If there's one kind of stupid I really hate, it's willful stupidity.

They're often very cheerful people

Wow yes that is so very true...all the christians i have met that were always cheerful all the time were incredibly "light headed"...the female ones strangely were even bimbo like lol (and not all blonde ha)...it's true in my experience!...of course in some situations you can be accused of "not having the joy of the lord and perhaps not even the lord atall" if you are not happy all the time smiling and singing etc etc like they are as i was once accused of...weird.

If there's one kind of stupid I really hate, it's willful stupidity. The intentional kind where the fool takes pride in their own dumbness.

I think this is what Darklady is talking about, and I'd agree it's really irritating. They're often very cheerful people, but they literally don't -want- to learn anything because they're afraid it might interfere with their Faith.

The "I'm an idiot on purpose because God obviously wants us all to be morons. Learning stuff is dangerous because it might make you not believe in God anymore."

It's like they have some strange phobia about using their own brain and making decisions of their own. In fact, that might actually be the exact case.

@Darklady: BTW out of curiosity, is your Username a Sailor Moon reference or does it have some other meaning?

lol no had to check it out to know what you meant - refers to my objection to the thought that light/white is better than dark

darkladyw.jpg

Aside from the christian internet troll, 3 types come to mind:

1. The kind who just love seeing Jesus get crucified and then proclaim, "Wow! He did that for me!"

2. The hip, traveling, freelance preacher who "used to smoke pot" and "whose mother was a prostitute".

3. The kind who completely misunderstands the question, "Why is a violent, painful, human sacrifice necessary for man's salvation?" and replies with the circular standby, "Because man is born with original sin."

The kind that say when you're annoyed with them and don't want to be around them anymore, "Oh, she's just feeling convicted". I fucking hate that. Also the kind that say that every inane little rule they add to their lives are god-inspired convictions (things that go way beyond what even the bible says). I have a friend like that, she's fucking convicted about everything. "Oh, I can't wear things that smell like flowers- it's a conviction"

"I don't eat fish on wednesday anymore, it's a conviction"

What's worse is when they try to tell you the same rule applies to you and everyone else. "If you wear pants without back pockets, your going to hell, god told me so..." kind of shit.

The kind that say when you're annoyed with them and don't want to be around them anymore, "Oh, she's just feeling convicted". I fucking hate that.

Of course, if you feel annoyed with them being self-righteous shits, it's YOUR fault.

What's worse is when they try to tell you the same rule applies to you and everyone else. "If you wear pants without back pockets, your going to hell, god told me so..." kind of shit.

Pants without back pockets? WTF?

I see dumb and delusional as separate from annoyance. Baptists, Pentecostals, etc are what I would called insane...but annoying?

I'd say the most annoying christian is the semi-liberal Christian who claims everybody who says anything about Christianity he/she doesn't like "knows nothing about christianity!". Everyone who doesn't share their cherry picked interpretation must clearly not have read the bible.

It's annoying because of the extreme intellectual dishonesty that goes along with it. If they were honest with themselves for even a fraction of a second they would realize that they are SPAG'ing like no one has ever SPAGed before...but they don't.

An example would be if you ever were debating the doctrine of hell and someone jumps in "TRUE CHRISTIANITY IS NOT LIKE THAT THERE IS NO HELL YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CHRISTIANITY STOP INSULTING MY RELIGION WHEN YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT HURR DURR DURRR DERP DERP DERP". Projecting a clearly sugar coated version of theology as the only valid theology just comes across as really pathetic and annoying to me when someone does it.

Aside from the christian internet troll, 3 types come to mind:

I smell one in the Collosseum right now... So far exhibiting a few characteristics of a troll.

I'll blaspheme all I want. Fuck the holy spirit with a hockey stick. YHWH can suck my bloody cunt.

Ah! Oh! You naughty girl! Saying such a thing!

(BTW, I think you and I are gonna be GREAT friends!) :wicked:

I'll blaspheme all I want. Fuck the holy spirit with a hockey stick. YHWH can suck my bloody cunt.

Ah! Oh! You naughty girl! Saying such a thing!

(BTW, I think you and I are gonna be GREAT friends!) :wicked:

Be careful what you ask for. Remember what happened to Mary? :lol:

• 1 month later...

What the title says.

Not looking for broad answers like 'Baptists', 'Catholics', or any particular denomination. It's something a bit more specific than that.

What kind of 'Christan' annoys you the most? The kind of aneurysm inducing idiocy that just sets you off immediately. The sort of person that just hits that particular button for you personally and makes you go...

fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuu.png

Even Christians on the site are welcome to add to this one, as it's about the 'worst case' kind of people, and even they can be supremely annoyed by the stupidity of their own kind sometimes.

This one is about venting, so if you've got more than one type that really bugs the hell out of you, feel free to list as many as you want. Any Christian that makes your brain want to run away screaming for it's own sanity as soon as you realize it's that particular kind of stupid.

The kind of Christian I find the most annoying is the one who believes that everyone that doesn't really love their personal idea of Jesus is 'pretending'. The type that thinks that everyone actually really does believe that Jesus is the Savior and Son of God, but just won't admit it. As if it's some sort of obvious undeniable fact that no one could possibly miss.

We just deny it and doom ourselves to an eternity of torment to be jerks for no good reason.

I have difficulty being civil to this type, and I've come close to inflicting bodily harm upon several such people before. Now, I just avoid it as soon as I hear the argument come up. Except on the internet that is. There's no danger of being arrested if I lose my temper and they deserve to be yelled at for being that stupid if I do.

Also, don't fucking wake me up in the morning. I hate that shit. If I come to the goddamn door looking like I just woke up, I most certainly do not want to 'talk with you about Jesus'. I want you to go the hell away right now so I can go back to sleep. I don't want to read the book of Mormon, nor do I give a shit how young, cheerful, and perky you are. In fact, that shit just makes it worse. I do not care who sent you. Go-the-fuck-away. You have caught me at the moment I am least likely to talk with you about anything, much less stupid shit I don't believe in the first place.

If you wake me up, I want to hear one of two things. "Hey! [some bad shit is happening] you need to run for your life!" or "Sorry to bother you, I'll come back later." [and maybe 'would you like to buy some cookies?]

That's it. Nothing else. That is the complete extent of any conversation I'm willing to have with someone who got my ass to crawl out of bed.

So, what type of Christian bothers you the most?

The ones that try to convert you to their faith.

The ones that will patronize you to the point of being offensive to try to convince you to believe.

Personally, in my own disbelieve, I really don't give a damn what people believe anymore. I don't consider myself an angry non-believer or anything. All I want is respect of ones' private freedoms. Meaning, if one believes in Jesus, than all I hope you are doing is living a productive life for the society that we share together because your good or bad choices will affect my life(and visa versa) and do not force it on me because their freedom does not give justice to try to impose on the freedoms of others just because their holy book, tells them to do so.

Personally ... I really don't give a damn what people believe anymore. I don't consider myself an angry non-believer or anything. All I want is respect of ones' private freedoms.

I have no axe to grind, either. I want to be helpful to people struggling with leaving / being outside of faith-based belief systems, so I'll point out logical inconsistencies and the like, but I don't care to cross the line into bitterness where I ridicule well meaning people as being stupid.

On the other hand, it's a fine line. I recognize that I *was* stupid to cling to such beliefs for so long. I don't beat myself up about it, and therefore I don't beat up others who are still trapped in such thinking ... but the inherent problem is that Christianity is a stupid belief system and no matter how delicately you point that out, you end up running afoul of people's ego investment in it. It's probably best not to even go there in your mind. To say that others are stupid is to say that you are smart, and it's inherently smug (even if technically true).

I used to think all atheists / agnostics are bitter, angry people. I thought that even after I became one. These days I tend to see it more as an artifact of our minority status. If you look at any such group -- gays come immediately to mind -- there is usually a large militant, in-your-face faction that is its own worst enemy until the movement matures and gains a measure of acceptance in the larger society. We are less demonized now, more tolerated, and I think the chip on our collective shoulder is getting a bit smaller. I hope so anyway.

You almost always lose the high ground when you lose your cool in a debate. I hope that in the long run we don't have all that much to vent about because venting in this context is really being angry at people for not seeing things our way -- you know, the RIGHT way ;-) And this is an inherently arrogant and uncompassionate attitude, which in this case is to say, it's lowering yourself to the level of your opponent. We need to call people on mean-spirited BS, of course, but even then we have to recognize that they are stumbling about in the dark spewing nonsense because they are blind. Most Christians are, or want to be, good people. They mean well, even when they are horribly misguided. For the most part.

I know that New Atheism regards religion as a dangerous cancer on society and feels obligated to hold it up to the ridicule it deserves. It's too much "us vs them" mentality for my tastes, though.

The best thing a freethinker can do is learn as much about the Real World as possible, and be as secure in their rational beliefs as possible. Get rid of any residual guilt or insecurity left over from old faith-based programming. Let go of grudges and old debts about real and perceived ways in which you were wronged or done disservice by the church, etc. That way when we are challenged, we have no insecurities to be defensive about, no old scores to settle, no frustrations to take out on anyone. Just dispassionate truth.

All easier said than done, of course ... it's hard sometimes to let things be as they are and pick your battles.

re desertbobs post.

This kind of attitude REALLY bugs me. I see it ALL the time in Christian circles. It's condsending and smug and just really irritating. It doesn't allow me to feel what I am feeling, to just "be" where I am. I'm REALLY angry right now with Christianity and biblegod. I can't skip this step to make your cause more palitable to the masses. We don't have to act a certain way to make atheism more accepted in the main stream.

Re: the original post

I'm most annoyed by christians who feel like their legalism makes them somehow special. I also can't stand to hear about how god helped you find a parking spot, gave you a blanket, sent you a butterfly, all that jazz.

freedom

• Like 1

Guest I Love Dog

Any Christian that tells me that he or she is a Christian. Why would I, or anyone for that matter, be interested what someone's belief is?

re desertbobs post.

This kind of attitude REALLY bugs me. I see it ALL the time in Christian circles. It's condsending and smug and just really irritating. It doesn't allow me to feel what I am feeling, to just "be" where I am. I'm REALLY angry right now with Christianity and biblegod. I can't skip this step to make your cause more palitable to the masses. We don't have to act a certain way to make atheism more accepted in the main stream.

Freedom,

I'm not saying you shouldn't feel what you feel and do what you need to do, or that anger is illegitimate, or that we need to placate the mainstream. I had a certain amount of anger myself, and I can readily extrapolate from that to what I would feel like with a somewhat different set of circumstances. So you needn't think I have no empathy for people who are deeply pissed off.

Think generically, though, about why you're angry. It takes anger -- sometimes a lot -- to come out of a system that is socially dominant. As the system loses its dominance, I foresee switching to freethinking as no more consequential than switching denominations. It will probably never be trivial, personally, for most of us, but I think it can become relatively trivial, socially. For some, it already is. One of the reasons is that today there is some precedent for disbelief besides nutjobs like Madeline Murray O'Hare. It's all a matter of perspective. Many people now know unbelievers all over their neighborhood, and the sky hasn't fallen. It makes a difference.

So ... you'll get no guff or judgment from me for being angry with Christianity and "biblegod", but that anger is bound to fade. It serves a critical short term purpose but in the long run does you way more harm than it will do to Christianity -- and certainly way more than biblegod, who being nonexistent is beyond any harm you might want to inflict on it.

What will harm Christianity in the long run is the steady and unwavering voice of reason and fact. Christians, blinded by their ego investment in faith, their irrational fears, etc., have a hard enough time seeing reason without having to wipe spittle off their face as well. Does this mean they didn't earn the spittle? Not at all. It's just ultimately beside the point, is all. Christians exist. They exist for a reason. Things are the way they are because they got that way. There is ultimately no point in railing impotently against that. It just is.

I can say that without claiming angry atheists are crazy or bad, or even that they ought not do that in individual cases. Don't assume that I'm sitting in judgment or being smug. In fact if you read my original post, I'm suggesting that beyond a certain point anger is itself smug and feeds into the very irrationality we are seeking to rid the earth of.

Personally ... I really don't give a damn what people believe anymore. I don't consider myself an angry non-believer or anything. All I want is respect of ones' private freedoms.

I have no axe to grind, either. I want to be helpful to people struggling with leaving / being outside of faith-based belief systems, so I'll point out logical inconsistencies and the like, but I don't care to cross the line into bitterness where I ridicule well meaning people as being stupid.

On the other hand, it's a fine line. I recognize that I *was* stupid to cling to such beliefs for so long. I don't beat myself up about it, and therefore I don't beat up others who are still trapped in such thinking ... but the inherent problem is that Christianity is a stupid belief system and no matter how delicately you point that out, you end up running afoul of people's ego investment in it. It's probably best not to even go there in your mind. To say that others are stupid is to say that you are smart, and it's inherently smug (even if technically true).

I used to think all atheists / agnostics are bitter, angry people. I thought that even after I became one. These days I tend to see it more as an artifact of our minority status. If you look at any such group -- gays come immediately to mind -- there is usually a large militant, in-your-face faction that is its own worst enemy until the movement matures and gains a measure of acceptance in the larger society. We are less demonized now, more tolerated, and I think the chip on our collective shoulder is getting a bit smaller. I hope so anyway.

You almost always lose the high ground when you lose your cool in a debate. I hope that in the long run we don't have all that much to vent about because venting in this context is really being angry at people for not seeing things our way -- you know, the RIGHT way ;-) And this is an inherently arrogant and uncompassionate attitude, which in this case is to say, it's lowering yourself to the level of your opponent. We need to call people on mean-spirited BS, of course, but even then we have to recognize that they are stumbling about in the dark spewing nonsense because they are blind. Most Christians are, or want to be, good people. They mean well, even when they are horribly misguided. For the most part.

I know that New Atheism regards religion as a dangerous cancer on society and feels obligated to hold it up to the ridicule it deserves. It's too much "us vs them" mentality for my tastes, though.

The best thing a freethinker can do is learn as much about the Real World as possible, and be as secure in their rational beliefs as possible. Get rid of any residual guilt or insecurity left over from old faith-based programming. Let go of grudges and old debts about real and perceived ways in which you were wronged or done disservice by the church, etc. That way when we are challenged, we have no insecurities to be defensive about, no old scores to settle, no frustrations to take out on anyone. Just dispassionate truth.

All easier said than done, of course ... it's hard sometimes to let things be as they are and pick your battles.

I agree. For me, I suppose I just realized that as I don't pride myself in disbelieving in Zeus and Tinker Bell, why treat any other god belief special as some, monumental hurdle to overcome?

If one is leading a bad life for themselves with belief in some deity and then they let it go, good for them. If a believer is living a good life, good for them. While changes are constantly being made in relation with religion and our nation, I am proud of America's attempt to hold true to secularism so I trust that over the fear of the 'cancer in society' that many believe religion is.

Many of the new authors coming out(I personally don't see what 'The New Atheism' is. That term seems 'redundant' to me, but I understand what you are meaning with that)had made such success, and so be it. Out of the '4 Horsemen' Hitchens is my favorite. Yet, its easy to attach oneself to it. Its in the media. Like you said, it is so us vs. them. That herd mentality exists in religion, 'relationship with God', 'faith' so its a similarity that is easy to grasp on to as ones' view changes. Its like going to methadone after being addicted to heroin(not that I know what it is 'personally' like, just know that both substances are EXTREMELY addictive. One moment one feels like an amazing child of a god and then the next, like an enlightened rational human being. How convenient.

Grant it, if one would come to me and request time to talk about their struggles, of course I would listen and give thoughts to consider with kindness. Sympathy comes into play here. I do feel bad that constantly struggle and struggle with this issue. I did for awhile myself.

I must admit though the minute one sides starts talking about stopping the freedom of others in their views, then I become an asshole. The minute one disrespects the fact that I disbelieve, then I have no reason to respect the godly when the godly can't respect the ungodly. Oddly enough, it has nothing to do with actual, 'belief', or an actual, 'god'. Its the human reaction to belief or disbelief that infuriates me when it is used against someone else's freedoms...oh and when Republicans mix God and Nation together...yea...I got a bit angry too.

I would like to respond to this:

Its not about being palatable to the masses. Its about not treating a deity like a man thinks about his divorced wife or a woman thinks about her divorced husband. Get the over the sense of betrayal, deception, lies and simply put...move on because when you actually realize you disbelieve, you will learn YOU DID IT TO YOURSELF by allowing yourself to believe after the nights of being like Doubting Thomas. You are angry at what you DISBELIEVE IN...isn't that strange?

Its not about making atheism more accepted in the main stream. Why should ANYONE of us care if atheism is accepted in the mainstream? IT IS DISBELIEF!!! All that should matter is that our freedom is protected. The freedom to gather, to write, to speak, to protest, to be treated fairly, to be treated as citizens in the nation that we live in.

Get the over the sense of betrayal, deception, lies and simply put...move on because when you actually realize you disbelieve, you will learn YOU DID IT TO YOURSELF by allowing yourself to believe after the nights of being like Doubting Thomas. You are angry at what you DISBELIEVE IN...isn't that strange?

Yes, I had to accept the role I played in my own bamboozling. Hard medicine to swallow!

Get the over the sense of betrayal, deception, lies and simply put...move on because when you actually realize you disbelieve, you will learn YOU DID IT TO YOURSELF by allowing yourself to believe after the nights of being like Doubting Thomas. You are angry at what you DISBELIEVE IN...isn't that strange?

Yes, I had to accept the role I played in my own bamboozling. Hard medicine to swallow!

It is. I had to do it as well. When one disbelieves in a previous belief system, it is a hard pill to swallow yet it is the only pill to take because everything else is koolaid.

Simply because, there's no more blaming to give to anyone else. Cannot blame the family anymore when one becomes an adult and moves out. Cannot blame any church because no church is powerful enough to make you believe...even Christians know that one with the cliched statement that walking into a church doesn't make anyone a Christian. Cannot blame some relationship one was in because again, a choice was made if someone remained 'believing' for some spouse. Can't even blame the theological claims. One can rant on and on how terrible the idea of eternal suffering is for a mind to think about and how that can force someone to believe in anything out of the instinct of self-preservation but there was still that choice made to believe in the reason to be afraid of the place called hell to believe in something to save one's ass. One chooses to bask in the feel goodness that comes with mixing the struggles we as human beings, the existential problems we face so we choose to be intoxicated so one can't blame the bartender for getting drunk when we are giving them 10 percent of our income to feed us.

I wish I really could have more understanding towards the angry non-believer. I just can't anymore.

Anyways, I suppose I have led the discussion off topic. I'll calm down for now.

For me, the type that talk non stop about jesus and religion and always find a way to bring it into the conversation to try and get you to talk about it because they don't know how you feel about religion and they're trying to get you to talk about it. I usually change the subject, mainly because I know they want me to talk about religion and it probably irritates them slightly that I leave them in the dark. The next type would be the ones that think "christianity is the only religion that isn't excepted in the United States". I'd like to advise them to try and run for political office as anything but a christian and see how much luck you would have. It would be absolutely out of the question in most places in this country. I even met one lady who thought airport security was harassing her because she was a christian. Are these people oblivious to the fact that like 80% of this country is christian?