Photo

Is Your Dell A Piece Of Shit? Here's The Reason Why!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 HereticZero

HereticZero

Idiot Savant

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 6,300 posts
  • Interests:Rocks, writing, home-brewing, gardening, fossils. Being alive.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :I do what my prostate tells me to do.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

Story: http://www.nytimes.c...ner=rss&emc=rss

I had to force Dell to replace mine under warranty. Man, did they throw a fit!

Lame-ass excuses:

After the math department at the University of Texas noticed some of its Dell computers failing, Dell examined the machines. The company came up with an unusual reason for the computers’ demise: the school had overtaxed the machines by making them perform difficult math calculations.

Dell sold millions of these computers from 2003 to 2005 to major companies like Wal-Mart and Wells Fargo, institutions like the Mayo Clinic and small businesses.

Documents recently unsealed in a three-year-old lawsuit against Dell show that the company’s employees were actually aware that the computers were likely to break. Still, the employees tried to play down the problem to customers and allowed customers to rely on trouble-prone machines, putting their businesses at risk. Even the firm defending Dell in the lawsuit was affected when Dell balked at fixing 1,000 suspect computers, according to e-mail messages revealed in the dispute.

I actually, at one time, defended Dell as a good computer but after mine failed, my sister's failed, and a friend's laptop failed, I began to take a harder look at what was being offered. I will not buy another one! I got screwed years ago by Commodore Computers over crappy machines and no quality service.
"The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so ...." -- (Jeremiah 5:31)

"CPR beats prayer hands down!"

Support Ex-C

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation using the "Donate" button above, or click here to choose one of the recurrent patron options.

#2 OpheliaGinger

OpheliaGinger

Proud Fool

• 6,614 posts
  • Interests:ask me
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Jesus Frankenstein

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

Mine is still going me'h but that is because I had to put in a new friggin' hard drive in just to install Windows 7.
Proud Fool

#3 Ancey

Ancey

Treacherous Decepticon Air Commander

• 640 posts
  • Interests:Art, Reading, Science, Computers, Music, and Transformers. :)
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :I don't think so.

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

We have an old Dell from 2003- I do now hate that computer with a passion: When I stopped using it a lot, it just got slow, sluggish, and now has to be left on all the time otherwise it takes an hour for it to get going to even use the internet from being cold.

I have a macbook now, which my mom inherits after this summer because I get a new one for college (required for me)

Macbook is made of quality stuff: and since it's still a small part of the market, viruses and malware are rare, and unless you have a passion of computer games (most of which are PC based), it's a good computer.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."- Siddhartha Gautama. (Buddha)

#4 Ramen666

Ramen666

The Original Ramenista

• 9,670 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Politics, Food, Movies
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Raptor Jesus

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm Corporations trying to cut corners and give the customer a questionable, shitty product and/or dangerous. What else is new? I actually like Dell and their model and everything how they are set up, but god damn that is shoddy as hell.

#5 Super FZL

Super FZL

Thinker

• 176 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Nun of the above

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:24 PM

Well, I bought a Dell Studio 15 laptop in January of this year. It runs amazing. It's smooth, sleek, fast, and everything I expect from an $800 computer. I think Dell has cleaned up their act quite a bit.

#6 HereticZero

HereticZero

Idiot Savant

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 6,300 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :I do what my prostate tells me to do.

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

My best computer has been a Toshiba laptop, ten years old with no problems. I also have a Compaq, so old Windows doesn't even run on it but Linux makes it zip on the internet!
"The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so ...." -- (Jeremiah 5:31)

#7 Leno

Leno

Curious

• 4 posts
  • Interests:Caffeine, purple cameras, androgyny, orange juice, dreadlocks, depression, cats, socks, pasta, drag kings, drag queens, baby photos, hairnets, suspender belts.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Why is this a required field?

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:46 PM

Mine is a year old and screws up regularly. It overheats all the time.
I'm planning for a Toshiba when this laptop craps out for good.
With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
–Steven Weinberg

#8 Guest_Valk0010_*

Guest_Valk0010_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:59 PM

Mine is a year old and screws up regularly. It overheats all the time.
I'm planning for a Toshiba when this laptop craps out for good.

Toshiba are great, just make sure to get a external cooling fan for it.

#9 Vigile

Vigile

Fully Human

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 25,641 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Nebbiolo, devushki and Kerouac.

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:46 AM

My Dell lap top died about two months after the warranty. It just completely went black. Wouldn't even turn on.

I agree, Toshiba is great. I've had two since that I'm very happy with.
It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
-Voltaire

#10 John09

John09

Thinker

• 144 posts
  • Interests:science, anatomy and physiology
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :coffee

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

I was once told that Dell made the best computers. We had Dell laptops at the college, and we used them for recording and analyzing data for lab experiments. They crashed, wouldn't shut down, were very sluggish, stored data in strange places, etc.

I like my mac better.

#11 Vendredie

Vendredie

Tampon Zygote

• 1,262 posts
  • Location:Twenty minutes north of the Vortex of Suck and Fail, NC
  • Interests:Religion, writing, music.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Science

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

Every single Dell at my old high school is a piece of shit. Well, almost all. I've never believed that Dell was the best, because every school in my county has Dells, my elementary school did, my middle school did, and my high school did and every single school had slow computers, crashes, etc. it's very common to see a computer with a piece of paper taped to the monitor reading "do not use" at all three schools.

GangaStyle!

#12 Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger

Mechanical Messiah

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 10,130 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :FSM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:03 AM

I got a Dell desktop back in 2004. Never was too impressed with it. It was slow, required several HARDWARE repairs, and it died 4 years later. I probably could have resurrected it, but I was tired of tinkering with the thing. The inlaws have had similar experiences.

I'll also jump on the Toshiba bandwagon. I bought a Toshiba laptop a year and a half ago- I've used it HARD, and it's been trouble-free. I'll routinely run Matlab (math modeling program), Catia (3-D engineering design program), half a dozen MS office windows, and Google Chrome all at the same time with no issues. I carry the thing around between home and school most days... and I don't bother to bring the cord along as the batteries still last about 3-4 hours (depending on what I'm doing). It's light, and was reasonably cheap at $850. I'll likely buy another one when this one wears out or becomes obsolete.

Somebody mentioned having to use an external fan. In my experience if you're having to use a fan, you probably need to take some covers off and clean out the fan & heat sink with some canned air. The amount of heat your laptop puts out also depends on which processor you buy- some put out A LOT more heat than others, even with the same processing speed. AMD processors often put out gobs of heat- and there can be significant differences even between different series of the same brand. We bought a Gateway for the wife a couple years ago- has an AMD processor. It hasn't given us any trouble EXCEPT for excessive heat. It's like the thing has a heating coil in it- it blows out hot air and would only last a couple hours on the battery even when new. I have to clean out the fan and heat sink every six months to a year... that keeps it from shutting down due to heat... but it still runs hot. My Toshiba has the same processing speed and a similar configuration, but with an Intel processor. It doesn't put out half as much heat, and the battery lasts twice as long.

#13 Guest_Net Eng_*

Guest_Net Eng_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

Every single Dell at my old high school is a piece of shit. Well, almost all. I've never believed that Dell was the best, because every school in my county has Dells, my elementary school did, my middle school did, and my high school did and every single school had slow computers, crashes, etc. it's very common to see a computer with a piece of paper taped to the monitor reading "do not use" at all three schools.

This sounds more like a software issue rather than a hardware one. School systems are notorious for not maintaining good PC standards and crappy technical help.

I have run Dell hardware at work and home for 8 years without an issue that what related to bad hardware. I am not defending Dell in all cases, they have fucked up major in the past. But to characterize a PC vendor as good or bad these days is misleading. PC hardware is a commodity now.

The only exception to this is Apple. And even they mess up now and again as well.

#14 HereticZero

HereticZero

Idiot Savant

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

According to the article, Dell's legal team had to force Dell to replace over 1,000 computers that failed to work properly. That sounds like a hardware issue, not software. If such a thing happens to one business then to have the same thing happen to a school system is not unusual. Dell sells faulty equipment and one has to constantly nag at them to replace crappy hardware, or crappy preinstalled software.

#15 OpheliaGinger

OpheliaGinger

Proud Fool

• 6,614 posts
  • Interests:ask me
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Jesus Frankenstein

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

I have a neighbor who's Dell is now working like shit...because his brother hit the keyboard with a hammer. ha
Proud Fool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users