Goodbye Jesus

Wounded Warriors Taxed By Obamacare For Prosthetic, Medical Devices

nivek

Wasn't sure where to put this newsie.. Rants got it. WTF-O? Get your body blown to ratfuck for UnkaSham, continue to pay and pay and pay....

kFL

Wounded warriors taxed by ObamaCare for prosthetic, medical devices

July 4, 9:45 AM · Jim Kouri - Law Enforcement Examiner "You will not see your taxes increased a single dime." - President Barack Obama

"[W]e have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy." - Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.

As the nation celebrates Independence Day with parades and barbecues, America's veterans face a new tax on prosthetic limbs and other vital medical devices.

The health care overhaul passed by Congress and signed into law by President Barack Obama earlier this year contains a new tax on medical devices such as prosthetic limbs, pacemakers, and wheelchairs. This tax, which its proponents claim will raise $20 billion over the next ten years, contains no exemption for the nation's 22 million veterans. In fact, Senate Democrats specifically refused to exempt veterans from the tax., according to officials from the non-partisan, public interest group Americans for Tax Reform

"Did Americans forget President Obama promising that Americans making less than $250,000.00 per year would not see their taxes go up one cent? Once again a politician is caught lying to the voters," said political strategist Mike Baker.

On March 24 2010, Senate Democrats rejected an amendment offered by Senator Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) to the healthcare bill. This amendment (SA 3644) would have prevented the medical device tax from hitting veterans covered by the Veterans Healthcare Program or TRICARE for Life.

This amendment was rejected by a vote of 44-54. All but five Democrat senators voted in favor of retaining the tax for veterans.

The medical device tax was one of over twenty new or higher taxes in President Barack Obama's healthcare overhaul. This permanent new tax is already being collected by the federal government.

"On March 24, Senate Democrats had the opportunity to exempt our veterans from Obamacare's new tax on medical devices such as prosthetic limbs. But 54 Democrats voted against the measure. They chose to side with the tax-and-spend crowd in Washington over our wounded warriors," said Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform.

"This is one of the many reasons Harry Reid and the Democrats did not want Americans to read the 2,500 page health care bill before it was passed," Norquist added.

In addition to those who served in Afghanistan and Iraq, the Department of Veterans Affairs reports the following number of veterans from America's wars:

World War II: 2,079,000

Korean War: 2,507,000

Vietnam War: 7,569,000

Desert Shield/Storm: 2,254,000

The following senators voted for the tax:

Daniel Akaka (D-HI)

Max Baucus (D-MT)

Evan Bayh (D-IN)

Mark Begich (D-AK)

Michael Bennet (D-CO)

Jeff Bingaman (D-NM)

Barbara Boxer (D-CA)

Sherrod Brown (D-OH)

Roland Burris (D-IL)

Maria Cantwell (D-WA)

Ben Cardin (D-MD)

Tom Carper (D-DE)

Bob Casey (D-PA)

Kent Conrad (D-ND)

Chris Dodd (D-CT)

Byron Dorgan (D-ND)

Richard Durbin (D-IL)

Russ Feingold (D-WI)

Diane Feinstein (D-CA)

Al Franken (D-MN)

Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY)

Tom Harkin (D-IA)

Daniel Inouye (D-HI)

Tim Johnson (D-SD)

Edward Kaufman (D-DE)

John Kerry (D-MA)

Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)

Herb Kohl (D-WI)

Mary Landrieu (D-LA)

Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ)

Pat Leahy (D-VT)

Carl Levin (D-MI)

Joe Lieberman (ID-CT)

Blanche Lincoln (D-AR)

Claire McCaskill (D-MO)

Bob Menendez (D-NJ)

Jeff Merkley (D-OR)

Barbara Mikulski (D-MD)

Patty Murray (D-WA)

Ben Nelson (D-FL)

Mark Pryor (D-AR)

Jack Reed (D-RI)

Harry Reid (D-NV)

Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)

Bernie Sanders (I-VT)

Chuck Schumer (D-NY)

Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH)

Arlen Specter (D-PA)

Debbie Stabenow (D-MI)

Mark Udall (D-CO)

Tom Udall (D-NM)

Mark Warner (D-VA)

Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI)

Ron Wyden (D-OR)

Jim Kouri, CPP is currently fifth vice-president of the National Association of Chiefs of Police and he's a columnist for The Examiner (examiner.com) and New Media Alliance (thenma.org). In addition, he's a blogger for the Cheyenne, Wyoming Fox News Radio affiliate KGAB (www.kgab.com). Kouri also serves as political advisor for Emmy and Golden Globe winning actor Michael Moriarty.

He's former chief at a New York City housing project in Washington Heights nicknamed "Crack City" by reporters covering the drug war in the 1980s. In addition, he served as director of public safety at a New Jersey university and director of security for several major organizations. He's also served on the National Drug Task Force and trained police and security officers throughout the country. Kouri writes for many police and security magazines including Chief of Police, Police Times, The Narc Officer and others. He's a news writer and columnist for AmericanDaily.Com, MensNewsDaily.Com, MichNews.Com, and he's syndicated by AXcessNews.Com. Kouri appears regularly as on-air commentator for over 100 TV and radio news and talk shows including Fox News Channel, Oprah, McLaughlin Report, CNN Headline News, MTV, etc.

To subscribe to Kouri's newsletter write to COPmagazine@aol.com and write "Subscription" on the subject line.

Copyright 2010 Examiner.com. All rights reserved.

Author Jim Kouri is an Examiner from the National Edition. You can see Jim's articles at: "http://www.Examiner.com/x-2684-Law-Enforcement-Examiner"

Good thing that health bill passed huh? Giving a limb for Uncle Sam isn't enough. They have to milk your wallet too.

• Super Moderator

Doesn't the VA have a long history of fucking the vets?

I didn't know veterans had to buy their own prosthetics.

No free lunch.

Frankly, I am dubious on this, considering the source.

Jim Kouri is identified as a blogger for a Fox News affiliate, and we know how impartial and intellectually honest Fox News is.

Among the other articles written by this man is one entitled: ObamaCare To Be Enforced By IRS 'Bounty Hunters.' so it is clear that he has an agenda.

Veterans do not pay for their prosthetics from the VA. I am somewhat skeptical as to the accuracy of the report. I have not heard of it from a different source such as ABC, CBS, NBC, or the VA.

I am also a Life Member of DAV and I have not seen any reports about this in their magazine. Service organizations would have been all over this by now.

I see this story repeated on anti-taxation websites but not mainstream news agencies. I sent e-mail to DAV for confirmation. I'll post what I get for a reply.

I was wondering the same thing as the other responders: Do veterans have to pay for prosthetics anyway? Wouldn't the VA pay for such things?

I see this story repeated on anti-taxation websites but not mainstream news agencies. I sent e-mail to DAV for confirmation. I'll post what I get for a reply.

I was going to do the same thing. But you beat me to it.

• Super Moderator

So people make up stuff just to make Obama look bad? Nah, not possible!

That's what I was getting at; if you don't pay for an item in the first place, how do you pay tax on it? Nonsense.

Without doing any googling on the matter- I'd suspect that a 'free' prosthetic would be taxed as income. Lots of things work that way.

I was wondering the same thing as the other responders: Do veterans have to pay for prosthetics anyway? Wouldn't the VA pay for such things?

This rumor started after veterans returning from Iraq war, Army veterans, were being billed by the Army for their prosthetics. This was during the Bush administration. The VA and Congress put a stop to it pronto. Veterans ARE NOT billed by the VA for their prosthetics. If they are, I would like to see a copy of the bill before I believe it. If a veteran requires a prosthetic device, the VA will pay to give them one. Any difficulties getting one may be solved by contacting either DAV, AL, VFW, or other service organization. A veteran can also file a complaint with the VA, which is required to respond within five working days concerning the complaint.

I was going to do the same thing. But you beat me to it.

Call DAV or send them e-mail anyway. The more they hear about this from others the more likely they are to get on it right away and check it out. I've not heard back yet.