- - - - -

Wayne Dyer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 PandaPirate

PandaPirate

Psychedelic Green Hamster

• 1,195 posts
  • Interests:Photography, chemistry, biology, anthropology, astronomy and....
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :The Force

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

For the most part I think he's harmless, but there are some things that he says that really bothers me.

He wrote the book called, "Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life," which uses the TAO as its focus. It's merely a repackaging of Norman Vincent Peale's, "The Power of Positive Thinking," using Taoism as its philosophy rather than Christianity.

Dyer says there is "no enemy" yet, I disagree. I've read The Art of War and I think unless we know how to respond to adversity (and no one can deny that life is full of it), we're just floating along pretending that nothing bad exists in life.

Dyer says, "Everything is perfect" and "is as it should be" and nothing is good or bad...it just is.

This sounds great...until I analyze it. Would it be "perfect" if my legs were amputated and I starved to death while being raped by Gorillas in the wilderness? I mean, let's face it...shit happens. Life isn't always easy or fair and I feel like Dyer makes it seem like life should be wonderful, fair and effortless. Easy to say when you live on an island in Hawaii and you're filthy rich.

I think he's like my Brownie Preacher. Slightly out of touch with reality.

Not to mention that he doesn't take into account that some people have brain chemistry problems.

Edited by PandaPirate, 07 July 2010 - 08:01 AM.

And in the last years before doom, everyone who eateth the magical celery of holy radioactive isotopes will become a new creature, a glowing creature of greenish tint. Amen.
-Ouroboros

#2 florduh

florduh

Not Right in the Head

• Super Moderator
  • 15,055 posts
  • Interests:Food.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :my doG

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:04 AM

He's a really nice guy but he's filthy rich and best friends with Deepak so I expect him to be a bit removed from reality, but he means well. I like and respect him as a person.

House: "So, you're a faith healer. Or is that a pejorative? Do you prefer something like "divine health management"?"

#3 PandaPirate

PandaPirate

• 1,195 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

He said on Oprah that he gave everything away for a year once and studied the Tao.
And in the last years before doom, everyone who eateth the magical celery of holy radioactive isotopes will become a new creature, a glowing creature of greenish tint. Amen.
-Ouroboros

#4 oddbird1963

oddbird1963

Freethinker

• ◊ Platinum Patron ◊
  • 2,406 posts
  • Interests:I'm always too broke to have interests. I guess you could say reading. And trying to take over the world.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :none that return my calls

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:42 AM

My impression is that he is one of those gurus to the already self indulgent upper middle class, rich and those lower middle class that don't yet realize they aren't upper middle class.

He's found a lucrative niche. And , who knows, maybe his stuff works. Maybe somebody will listen to his words and be the better for it.

But my impression is that he's just the latest guru to those who are already privileged but don't know how to enjoy life.
oddbird1963

QUOTE Our lives improve only when we take chances - and the first and most difficult risk we can take is to be honest with ourselves .

-- Walter Anderson

#5 PandaPirate

PandaPirate

• 1,195 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

My impression is that he is one of those gurus to the already self indulgent upper middle class, rich and those lower middle class that don't yet realize they aren't upper middle class.

He's found a lucrative niche. And , who knows, maybe his stuff works. Maybe somebody will listen to his words and be the better for it.

But my impression is that he's just the latest guru to those who are already privileged but don't know how to enjoy life.

He is a self admitted ex-alcoholic and rage-aholic. He was also raised in an orphanage, so he wasn't always priveledged. I think he was lucky enough to publish a book and get rich. Then, he published more books after becoming friends with Deepak. None of his ideas are original and I think they're a little sappy.

I want to hate him, but I can't. Because he seems very nice.

Edited by PandaPirate, 07 July 2010 - 10:31 AM.

-Ouroboros

#6 par4dcourse

par4dcourse

Meh....

• Atheist
  • 5,438 posts
  • Interests:Whatever catches my brain today.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Asimov and Hawking come close.

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

He's a really nice guy but he's filthy rich and best friends with Deepak so I expect him to be a bit removed from reality, but he means well. I like and respect him as a person.

He also has Deepak's hugely marketable talent for talking for hours without actually saying anything.
"My head hurts, my feet stink, and it don't love jesus."--Jimmy Buffett"
If god wanted us to believe in him, he'd exist."--Linda Smith

#7 PandaPirate

PandaPirate

• 1,195 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

He also has Deepak's hugely marketable talent for talking for hours without actually saying anything.

And for turning Quantum Physics into religion. And for quoting a lot of dead people.
-Ouroboros

#8 Deva

Deva

Heathen

• 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Birding, art, reading, keeping salamanders, reptiles, and plants, cooking, and cultivating a good heart.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :None

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

Although he "quotes a lot of dead people." The thing I don't like about Dyer is that he uses a lot of other people's ideas, J. Krishnamurti for example, and doesn't credit them. In other words, not enough quoting. Some years ago I used to see him on TV from time to time. Now I would rather go to the original source.
“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.”― Albert Camus "Using no way as way,having no limitation as limitation" - Bruce Lee

#9 Phanta

Phanta

Pandora

• 1,958 posts
  • Interests:Growing calmer and wiser. Living, laughing, loving.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Can't Know

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

Oh, par, do you know how to say anything unfunny? You crack me up!

P
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

#10 Phanta

Phanta

Pandora

• 1,958 posts
  • Interests:Growing calmer and wiser. Living, laughing, loving.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Can't Know

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

Although he "quotes a lot of dead people." The thing I don't like about Dyer is that he uses a lot of other people's ideas, J. Krishnamurti for example, and doesn't credit them. In other words, not enough quoting. Some years ago I used to see him on TV from time to time. Now I would rather go to the original source.

Covey does that, too. No sources.

P
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

#11 PandaPirate

PandaPirate

• 1,195 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

Exactly! On Oprah's XM show I watched the other day, he used Fred Hoyle's Boeing 747 analogy and made it his own.
-Ouroboros

#12 agnosticator

agnosticator

Free Thinker

• 1,909 posts
  • Interests:Music performance and composition, making Thai and Italian food, hiking, snorkeling, nature photography, and other outdoor activities with Mother Nature.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :agnostic

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

He wrote the book called, "Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life," which uses the TAO as its focus. It's merely a repackaging of Norman Vincent Peale's,"The Power of Positive Thinking," using Taoism as its philosophy rather than Christianity.

Dyer says there is "no enemy" yet, I disagree. I've read The Art of War and I think unless we know how to respond to adversity (and no one can deny that life is full of it), we're just floating along pretending that nothing bad exists in life.

Dyer says, "Everything is perfect" and "is as it should be" and nothing is good or bad...it just is.

Oh, :vent: this will drive me to become a glass-is-half-full, negative cynic! And then I'd really like it too! :HaHa:
THE FOOL SAYS IN HIS HEART, "THERE IS NO GOD"....THE BIBLE

THE OTHER FOOL SAYS HE KNOWS GOD...AGNOSTICATOR

#13 PandaPirate

PandaPirate

• 1,195 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

Oh and the worst part is that he uses Richard Dawkins's "MEME THEORY" to illustrate a point.

What was so bad about this?

First, he called him "Richard Dawson." Second, I don't even think he realizes Dawkins is an Atheist. Third, he clearly didn't know what a MEME was, yet he was attempting to use it to illustrate a point.

What a dumbass.
-Ouroboros

#14 nightflight

nightflight

Sage

• 2,711 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :aggie

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:49 PM

His first book, Your Erroneous Zones is totally different from his later works.
Libertarians are Republicans who want to smoke pot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users