21 replies to this topic

#1 Yrth

Yrth

lıllı ((((|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|))))

• 1,615 posts
  • Interests:Law, SF, Science, Music, Games
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :None

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:40 PM

I just cooked a chicken breast that had been sealed in the fridge for over a month. Don't ask me why, it boils down to the fact that I'm a fucking moron.

Poison Control lady on the phone said there's a slim chance I could get sick and told me to stop throwing up on purpose.

I'm still freaking out. It's like the smell of it raw is haunting my nose.

Ate half the breast at 2:00pm.

If I survive... I won't ever be this fucking stupid again, if I can help it. ugh.
‎"Some of the worst things in my life never happened" - Mark Twain

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

#2 florduh

florduh

Not Right in the Head

• Super Moderator
  • 15,356 posts
  • Interests:Food.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :my doG

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

If it was really bad, you'll throw it up without trying.

(Don't invite me to dinner.)

House: "So, you're a faith healer. Or is that a pejorative? Do you prefer something like "divine health management"?"

#3 Guest_Valk0010_*

Guest_Valk0010_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

You might have the runs for awhile, but a half a chicken breast most likely won't do anything.

#4 HereticZero

HereticZero

Idiot Savant

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 6,306 posts
  • Interests:Rocks, writing, home-brewing, gardening, fossils. Being alive.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :I do what my prostate tells me to do.

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

I agree with what florduh said.

Usually if you have food poison you will know it almost right away or within the next 12 hours, and you won't have to force yourself to throw up but you will need a bowl for each end. Salmonella is very nasty. I have been poisoned three or four times, not by my food though, so fair warning--don't leave sight of the toilet for a while!

I remember once I put a fresh chicken, or so I thought at the time, into a crock pot and left it to cook until I got home for lunch. When I got home, I opened my apartment door and the smell of cooked rotten chicken was over powering causing dry-heaves from the smell alone until I got it thrown out into the dumpster!
"The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so ...." -- (Jeremiah 5:31)

"CPR beats prayer hands down!"

#5 Yrth

Yrth

• 1,615 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:05 PM

normally wife makes amazing food. why i am still alive if I can be this stupid is society's fault.

#6 mwc

mwc

Sarcastic? Me?

• 8,889 posts
  • Interests:Things and stuff
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :meh

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

If you truly have food poisoning you'll know it because it comes rocketing out both ends (plus you usually get a high fever). I've had it on vacation and it's not pleasant but more than survivable.

Forcing yourself to vomit when you don't have to just ruins your esophagus for no reason so stop that. The body can deal with spoiled food pretty well on its own using the acid in the stomach so don't take anything that might suppress it (like antacid) for the next day or so.

Often the idea of eating bad food is usually worse than the actual eating of the bad food itself.

mwc
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think they'll hate you. - Don Marquis

PLEASE NOTE: Just because I speak as if YHWH/jesus exist does not mean they do. It's simply for the sake of the argument.

#7 Thalia

Thalia

Thinker

• 110 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror literature, film, TV, and video games
    Psychology, sociology, philosophy
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

Ew! I feel your pain. At a potluck once we had a lady make barbequed chicken that was so spoiled we could smell it outside the building. She tried to tell everyone that bbq chicken was supposed to smell like that. Nobody believed her, thankfully.

#8 lostman42

lostman42

Strong Minded

• 261 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :NO!

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

Ill take the rest of the chicken off your hands I'm pretty hungary

#9 Margee

Margee

'Madame Eve'

• 5,935 posts
  • Interests:Learning how to be an ex-Christian and be comfortable with it!
    This is my 'Please Forgive Me' letter - It is my testimony and I hope it helps someone....You'll have to copy and paste.
    http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/44259-please-forgive-me/
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Non-Believer

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

I just cooked a chicken breast that had been sealed in the fridge for over a month. Don't ask me why, it boils down to the fact that I'm a fucking moron.

Poison Control lady on the phone said there's a slim chance I could get sick and told me to stop throwing up on purpose.

I'm still freaking out. It's like the smell of it raw is haunting my nose.

Ate half the breast at 2:00pm.

If I survive... I won't ever be this fucking stupid again, if I can help it. ugh.

I'm so sorry pockets - I don't know why this struck me so funny. It's just the way you wrote it, I will pray to the sky god that you will be alright! I had food poisoning one time with bad salmon - hope you don't go thru what I went thru...........................Get the bucket ready!! :twitch:  ....hope you feel better soon!!
93% of the mass in our body is stardust. Just think.....long ago someone may have wished upon a star that you are made of.
God may not work.....but you could try wishing upon a star! Posted Image

#10 Yrth

Yrth

• 1,615 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

so far so good. Downed a 500 calorie pannini no problem. Thanks for the well wishes and advice. :]

#11 florduh

florduh

Not Right in the Head

• Super Moderator
  • 15,356 posts
  • Interests:Food.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :my doG

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

Looks like you'll live!

House: "So, you're a faith healer. Or is that a pejorative? Do you prefer something like "divine health management"?"

#12 OpheliaGinger

OpheliaGinger

Proud Fool

• 6,614 posts
  • Interests:ask me
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Jesus Frankenstein

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:40 PM

As long as your thoroughly cooked it, you'll be ok. People have had rotten mammoth meat and survived; some explorers had run out of food and spotted a wooly mammoth carcase in the ice and ate it. They said it tasted like rotten meat but didn't get sick from it because the ice had preserved it for all these millions of years and they thoroughly cooked it.
Proud Fool

#13 Vigile

Vigile

Fully Human

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 25,973 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Nebbiolo, devushki and Kerouac.

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

Forcing yourself to vomit when you don't have to just ruins your esophagus for no reason so stop that. The body can deal with spoiled food pretty well on its own using the acid in the stomach so don't take anything that might suppress it (like antacid) for the next day or so.

I'm sure that's true if done excessively, but I'm with poison control on this one. Getting it out before the bacteria has a chance to reproduce inside his colon is far better than a bit of acid burning on the back of the throat.

I had food poisoning so bad a few years ago that I had to take Cipro to kill it after 2 weeks of vomiting, diarrhea and amoxocilian failed me and left me emaciated.
It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
-Voltaire

#14 Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa

Daikaiju

• 1,412 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga,Japanese culture,,drawing, writing stories,, b movies,science fiction and horror
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Ninkasi, the goddess of beer.

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:38 AM

As long as your thoroughly cooked it, you'll be ok. People have had rotten mammoth meat and survived; some explorers had run out of food and spotted a wooly mammoth carcase in the ice and ate it. They said it tasted like rotten meat but didn't get sick from it because the ice had preserved it for all these millions of years and they thoroughly cooked it.

I hate to say it, especially considering what an amazing paleontogical find ended up in someone's belly, but I'm a bit envious of those explorers. Even if it tasted damned awful, getting to eat a prehistoric animal is definitely a once in a lifetime event.

And pockets, you shouldn't have been so hard on yourself. Everybody does dumb things(I've done a few that I was lucky they didn't earn me a Darwin Award) , just be glad that you're going to be ok.

#15 ScifiChick

ScifiChick

Skeptic

• 448 posts
  • Interests:*
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Agnostic

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:44 AM

I got salmonella a couple of years ago - first time I got really sick after leaving Christianity. Very frustrating not being able to pray, and just hope I'd survive. It was pretty awful.

Ate bad chicken once too, but I took care of that with half a bottle of vodka. ;)

Glad you're okay!
Adventures in America

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick

#16 ghost_warlock

ghost_warlock

Thinker

• 144 posts
  • Interests:snuggles, lulz, food, music; memes, trolling, horror, myself

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:31 AM

I've had food poisoning a few times - most of the time from local restaurants (Applebee's once and IHOP twice) and once from a frozen microwavable dinner thing (a Stouffer's flat-bread thing). Two days of feeling miserable and near-constant vomiting/diarrhea followed by a few days of being pale, sore, and weak once whatever it was passed out of my system.

Part of the problem was that I'd eat lunch and then go to bed (work the night shift) so whatever I ate that was bad would just sit in my gut and rot (once I'm asleep I usually won't wake up from an upset stomach). If I'd been awake I probably would've thrown the stuff up and it would've been over with. Once the food poisoning gets into your intestines there's not much you can do but ride it out.

Tempus Frangit

#17 mwc

mwc

Sarcastic? Me?

• 8,889 posts
  • Interests:Things and stuff
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :meh

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:45 AM

I'm sure that's true if done excessively, but I'm with poison control on this one. Getting it out before the bacteria has a chance to reproduce inside his colon is far better than a bit of acid burning on the back of the throat.

I had food poisoning so bad a few years ago that I had to take Cipro to kill it after 2 weeks of vomiting, diarrhea and amoxocilian failed me and left me emaciated.

To pick the nit the poison control people said to stop throwing up on purpose:

"Poison Control lady on the phone said there's a slim chance I could get sick and told me to stop throwing up on purpose."

I agree that food poisoning can sometimes become very nasty. It must have been a particularly nasty strain you picked up. Usually there's no need to induce vomiting on a maybe.

mwc
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think they'll hate you. - Don Marquis

PLEASE NOTE: Just because I speak as if YHWH/jesus exist does not mean they do. It's simply for the sake of the argument.

#18 Yrth

Yrth

• 1,615 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:44 AM

Get through the night okay?

:] Yeah I relaxed after 9 hours had passed. I had cooked it, so I guess it's the bacteria that's really dangerous -- my stomach seemed to have killed all the heat-resistant toxins that would have been there.

#19 dichotomy

dichotomy

Skeptic

• 402 posts
  • Interests:photography, film, anthropology
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Non yesterday, non today, non tomorrow.

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

Glad you got through the night. The smell alone would've had me vomiting. I cooked some mildly off beef a few months ago and started to wretch just a few minutes into cooking lol

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

#20 stryper

stryper

You are choosing to read this.

• 3,932 posts
  • Interests:video games, movies, poker, my kids
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :me

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

I got salmonella a couple of years ago - first time I got really sick after leaving Christianity. Very frustrating not being able to pray, and just hope I'd survive. It was pretty awful.

Ate bad chicken once too, but I took care of that with half a bottle of vodka. ;)

Glad you're okay!

This made me laugh. When I was at the Universtiy of Denver Music School, the german orchestra conduct wondered where a student was. They said she was sick. He advised the class to tell her to drink two liters of beer that had been heated up to about boiling and she'd be fine.

Give his usual dry delivery I was never sure if he was joking.

Edited by stryper, 03 June 2011 - 11:39 AM.

"It's wildly irritating to have invented something as revolutionary as sarcasm, only to have it abused by amateurs."
— Biff (Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal)

Faith is Silly. It is blind acceptance in things you have every right to question. -Michael

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users