Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

I'm getting rather liberal with the 'unfriend' button. It's my FB, not theirs. I have better things to do than read about how loving their sociopathic, non existent god is.

I'm getting rather liberal with the 'unfriend' button. It's my FB, not theirs. I have better things to do than read about how loving their sociopathic, non existent god is.

Here here beer.gif

If you feel the need to say "I am not ashamed" of your faith you probably are ashamed or sense that you should be.

In my church days, whenever someone was flogging the need to witness or be otherwise impertinent, they would counter their listener's natural sense of shame with the NT verse that says that the preaching of the gospel is foolishness to those who perish -- ergo, they will consider those who preach fools -- and you should be proud to be a "fool for Christ".

I never understood this, because if someone can't hear what you say because it is so much gibberish to their unenlightened "ears that can't hear" and so much nothing to their "eyes that cannot see", then what is the point of being in their face and babbling at them? You only compound their deafness / blindness by annoying them. Clearly what they need is for god to open their eyes and ears -- it always seemed like HIS problem to me.

I've never been much into exercises in futility, and proselytizing seemed to me like the very definition of an exercise in futility.

My ex used to say "God never gives you more than you can handle", when I was bitching about shit. That was when we had 3 teenagers and 3 foster babies all at the same time. Maybe she was right because a while after that god gave us DIVORCE....lol. My retort in my mind was "Maybe God doesn't but YOU DO!" lol. Recently I've wondered how much is more than someone can handle. Someone in town recently flung themselves off a building and went splat. Off hand I would say that commission of suicide would be the prime example of being unable to handle what the supposed god throws at you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had an old high school classmate post the following this morning:

So often we look at God and say "Why are you letting so many bad things happen?" and God replies "Why are you letting them happen?"

I guess God likes to blame the victim, too. Ironically, even with this feeble attempt to excuse the problem of evil, a non-theist could agree in part that the responsibility to resolve human problems is a human burden, not a deity's.:scratch: Could make for an interesting discussion.

• Like 4

Had an old high school classmate post the following this morning:

So often we look at God and say "Why are you letting so many bad things happen?" and God replies "Why are you letting them happen?"

I guess God likes to blame the victim, too. Ironically, even with this feeble attempt to excuse the problem of evil, a non-theist could agree in part that the responsibility to resolve human problems is a human burden, not a deity's.:scratch: Could make for an interesting discussion.

This argument falls flat on it's face when someone commits evil by doing EXACTLY what the bible instructs them to do. Examples would be killing those who the bible tells them to kill, leaving relationships because someone doesn't believe like you do, and praying for a sick loved one instead of offering medical treatment.

Oh yes, I don't even hesitate anymore. I guess I'm a real bitch that way.

• Like 1

I usually don't come down too hard on my Christian friends over on Facebook, but some days the ignorant, arrogant bullshit they post just has to be addressed. This is from a thread my friend posted about how she's offended because Dr. Pepper is choosing to use the pre-1954 Pledge of Allegiance which does not contain the words "under God" in some new design for its cans. The conversation quickly went from Dr. Pepper to why America has so many major problems as a nation.

Here's what Sister Vicki had to say:

That is why American is in the condition it is in - we have forgotten God.

And my response: "I see. I'm sure that's right. Our nation's problems have nothing to do with our corrupt and broken political and educational systems or our troubled economy or any number of other serious issues that need to be addressed. We've just forgotten god. Poor guy. I guess if we just remember him, then everything will suddenly magically be okay. :rolleyes:

And then Sister Shelly posted this gem:

There wouldn't be corruption and broken political and educational systems or the rest of the problems if those that are in power followed God's rules - and for that matter those of us that put these people in their positions of power.

My only response was just to publicly roll my eyes at her.

Is it any wonder America has problems when people this ignorant and this delusional are allowed to vote?

I could probably make a hilarious blog out of stuff like this which wouldn't be hard to collect in large amounts from Facebook, but it's also shocking (and truly frightening) that people who claim to be intelligent actually think this way. :twitch::eek:

Glory!

With friends like that ... If it were me she'd be unfriended straight away. What the world needs is real solutions to real problems. Religion just adds further confusion to an already confused world.

They're typing in tongues on Facebook now.

I don't care if I'm still "in the closet" with my deconversion or not: the first person that I see typing in tongues on Facebook will get a really nasty, snarky comment from me, and a notice telling them I'm unfriending them because of such abject stupidity. If that's how I'll be "coming out," to the world, then so be it.

• Like 1

"Typing in tongues"! LOL! Too funny!

Haaaa........oooooh.....no... stop it .... it's hurting........That's the funniest thing I've heard all year!

I particularly loved the random letters bit. That sums up the absurdist nonsense that is Christianity.

The internet - where religion goes to die...

This is one status I saw on fb after the funeral I went to yesterday: Memorial service for *** today. A life that touched so many, a life lived fully for the Lord. Pastor **** spoke truth, death is the end of dying and the beginning of real living. *** spoke to us in video sharing his precious worship and of the need for us to live a life in worship to the Lord. Let God be glorified!!!!!!

Glorified: made to look good or desirable. Oooh I want to die in agony of a wasting disease, too! I want that god who ignored the dying man and left his children fatherless. He is so good!

One of the things that pisses me off the most about xianity, the biggest fucking LIE of all, is the "death is the beginning of real living" so just toss this one life here on earth down the toilet in sacrifice to our religion and die to yourself, don't allow yourself to think your own thoughts and feel what you feel, don't enjoy the earth and all the people here. OH I HATE IT THAT I WASTED SO MUCH OF MY LIFE THINKING THIS WAY!!! :vent:

• Like 1

LMAO. They should ask her for an interlinear glossing and translation. If Christians are going to claim that these "tongues" are languages, then skepticism demands applying the same rigorous standards of linguistic analysis to their 'language' output.

• Like 1

This is one status I saw on fb after the funeral I went to yesterday: Memorial service for *** today. A life that touched so many, a life lived fully for the Lord. Pastor **** spoke truth, death is the end of dying and the beginning of real living. *** spoke to us in video sharing his precious worship and of the need for us to live a life in worship to the Lord. Let God be glorified!!!!!!

Glorified: made to look good or desirable. Oooh I want to die in agony of a wasting disease, too! I want that god who ignored the dying man and left his children fatherless. He is so good!

One of the things that pisses me off the most about xianity, the biggest fucking LIE of all, is the "death is the beginning of real living" so just toss this one life here on earth down the toilet in sacrifice to our religion and die to yourself, don't allow yourself to think your own thoughts and feel what you feel, don't enjoy the earth and all the people here. OH I HATE IT THAT I WASTED SO MUCH OF MY LIFE THINKING THIS WAY!!! :vent:

I feel the same way, Brain. Christianity perverts human experience to the point that its devoted adherents actively reject honest curiosity and wonder as "sin". My participation in it for the first 20 years of my life has left me stunted in my personal growth (and rapidly exploring a wide range of things to find out what I've missed all this time).

Another horrible aspect of this lie, "death is the beginning of real living", is that believers expect to see loved ones again someday in the magical sky kingdom. I never gave my aunt a proper good-bye for this reason, and that moment when I saw her alive for the last time will never return to me for me to realize its gravity.

• Super Moderator

typing in tongues.... LOL! My 2 year old granddaughter types like that all the time. So can I -- when I'm wasted. We should check on the "I'm drunk" thread and see if anyone types in tongues there. lmao_99.gif

I saw this one today in my news feed from a good friend...

A little girl wanted to know what the United States looked like. Her Dad tore a map of the USA from a magazine and then cut it into small pieces. He told her to go to her room to see if she could put it together. After some minutes she returned and handed the map correctly fitted and taped together. The Dad was surprised and asked how she had finished so quickly. She said, "On the other side was a picture of Jesus and when I put him back then our country just came together."

TK, that just made me throw up in my mouth a little. Sadly, I could see a number of my fundy friends posting something similar.

A little girl wanted to know what the United States looked like. Her Dad tore a map of the USA from a magazine and then cut it into small pieces. He told her to go to her room to see if she could put it together. After some minutes she returned and handed the map correctly fitted and taped together. The Dad was surprised and asked how she had finished so quickly. She said, "On the other side was a picture of Jesus and when I put him back then our country just came together."

I saw that on FB today, and I wasn't sure how to reply. I think a facepalm is in hand.

I saw that on FB today, and I wasn't sure how to reply. I think a facepalm is in hand.

Indeed! It sounds like something my crazy, drug addled, religious aunt would say

facepalm.jpg

9076513.jpg

And just breaking, former high school classmate invites all FB friends to attend their CRU meeting and find out what GAWD would write on their FB walls...hm, how to have fun with this one?:scratch:

I saw Jesus in my pint of beer the other night. It was a sign - to finish off my beer quickly. Now you see him. Now you don't. Story of my life really.

text shorthand...TIT

Check out this bizzare conversation. The first post was from my step-daughter, who is living with her mom in a fundie bubble. Talking abut Sept. 11th anniversary:

I hardly remember that day but i remember looking at the tv and asking nana "why do bad people do these bad things" :(

I said: Because they were indoctinated to the point that they actually believed what they were doing was right. It is frightening how easily the human mind is manipulated. I will never forget that day.

Her mom's boyfriend says: Every person does what he or she thinks is right to them. Many make a religion out of no religion at all. There are christians, jews, muslims, atheists, agnostics, etc that take they're beliefs to the extreme. There is only one true way. On 9/11 and the weeks and months following, churches were filled with people seeking refuge and peace from God. Why did 9/11 happen? Because there is a real evil in this world, but as much as there is a real evil there is an even greater good. Greater is HE who is in me than he who is in this world. Where sin abounds, grace does much more abound. We should never forget those who gave all. Greater love hath no man than this thab a man lay down his life.......I am thamkful for THE ONE who gave HIS life for me.

WTF?

Check out this bizzare conversation. The first post was from my step-daughter, who is living with her mom in a fundie bubble. Talking abut Sept. 11th anniversary:

I hardly remember that day but i remember looking at the tv and asking nana "why do bad people do these bad things" :(

I said: Because they were indoctinated to the point that they actually believed what they were doing was right. It is frightening how easily the human mind is manipulated. I will never forget that day.

Her mom's boyfriend says: Every person does what he or she thinks is right to them. Many make a religion out of no religion at all. There are christians, jews, muslims, atheists, agnostics, etc that take they're beliefs to the extreme. There is only one true way. On 9/11 and the weeks and months following, churches were filled with people seeking refuge and peace from God. Why did 9/11 happen? Because there is a real evil in this world, but as much as there is a real evil there is an even greater good. Greater is HE who is in me than he who is in this world. Where sin abounds, grace does much more abound. We should never forget those who gave all. Greater love hath no man than this thab a man lay down his life.......I am thamkful for THE ONE who gave HIS life for me.

WTF?

ok that response didn't even make sense.

ok that response didn't even make sense.

Sounds like it just gave the guy an excuse to preach. I am sure "grace abounded" for the people in the towers that day - like they could really see the "greater good" as they were debating whether to jump or be incinerated. What a crock!!