Goodbye Jesus

The Usefulness Of This Site To People Who Have Converted

Tandava

Hi,

I am a convert to Hinduism, Someone recently left a comment on my blog about this site, suggesting that it might be useful for another blogger who had difficulty detaching from Christianity. After my first look I thought that this was primarily an atheists site, but now I can see that there is more to it than that. I do wonder whether it is useful to people who have converted to another belief though. It seems to me that once you define yourself as something else, a Wiccan, a Hindu, or a Buddhist rather than an ex-Christian then you are out of the target audience. Do you agree? Is there anyone here who defines their belief by their new faith but still finds this useful?

Tandava

There are people who went from Christian to polytheism here, so stick around!

There are some Buddhists and some pagans here. I'm not sure what the ratio is but there is a bit of a variety. I hope you stick around though, I think for the most part we all get along :)

Hi,

I am a convert to Hinduism, Someone recently left a comment on my blog about this site, suggesting that it might be useful for another blogger who had difficulty detaching from Christianity. After my first look I thought that this was primarily an atheists site, but now I can see that there is more to it than that. I do wonder whether it is useful to people who have converted to another belief though. It seems to me that once you define yourself as something else, a Wiccan, a Hindu, or a Buddhist rather than an ex-Christian then you are out of the target audience. Do you agree? Is there anyone here who defines their belief by their new faith but still finds this useful?

Tandava

Welcome Tandava! There is a great section here for people who are now directing their lives to a more comfortable belief system.

It is called Ex-Christian Spirituality and is found on the main page. I find the majority of friends here are not critical when someone takes on a new spiritual direction. Hope to hear more from you! :grin:

Yeah, there is a whole subforum devoted to people who have found a new belief system. I have found this site to be extremely helpful when I was dealing with my anger at Christianity and it continues to be helpful when I am having a bad day. Also, I like being able to offer advice and comfort to others who are leaving their religion.

And there are a few cynical old farts who don't believe shit. Viva la difference and welcome to the site.

Hi Tandava, welcome to Ex-Christian! I am a convert to Buddhism. Having been raise Christian, I have still got some lingering issues with Christianity and for that I still find this site a good spot when those issues surface.

I also have a lot of admiration for Hinduism.

Hi Tandava, welcome to Ex-Christian! I am a convert to Buddhism. Having been raise Christian, I have still got some lingering issues with Christianity and for that I still find this site a good spot when those issues surface.

Thanks,

I have a lot of admiration for Buddhism too. We share a lot of the same basic concepts (Karma, Samsara, Reincarnation/Rebirth, and Moksha/Nirvana), differ greatly in philosophy (especially in belief in God), but come to the same conclusions in practice (Ahimsa, Japa, Yoga and Meditation).

Is there anyone here who defines their belief by their new faith but still finds this useful?

Tandava

Thank you for you comments and your thoughtful question. I can speak for myself in saying yes, I do find it useful even though I feel I have now come into what works for me on a spiritual level. The site has been a processing ground over the years for me in forming and testing and shaping and evolving my thoughts in order to find a certain synthesis in myself with spirituality and rationality since my leaving the Christian system. Even now, it still functions in this way as through discussions over alternative views it helps broaden and shape my perspectives where they are now.

I can't be said to have joined any new religion, but I can say that I have become able to see the value and importance of many disciples and the wisdom traditions, as well as what the West as taught us through the sciences as well. You could say those like Aurubindo resonate with me in this way. I recently came across this term that seems to fit to some large extent, panenthiest, but I see ultimately see all things resolved in nonduality.

Welcome to the site!

Thanks,

I have a lot of admiration for Buddhism too. We share a lot of the same basic concepts (Karma, Samsara, Reincarnation/Rebirth, and Moksha/Nirvana), differ greatly in philosophy (especially in belief in God), but come to the same conclusions in practice (Ahimsa, Japa, Yoga and Meditation).

Thank you Tandava. Yes, we have much in common, as you say. Really its impossible to paint all of Buddhism with one brush. I am in the Nyingma School of Vajrayana Buddhism and there are indeed Gods. Not exactly the same concept as yours, but in our sadhanas we do speak of Indra and other Hindu Gods. I just wanted to clear this up, that there is a belief in Gods from what I have studied. I suppose Samantabhadra- the primordial Buddha, would be the supreme expression- very Godlike, but I can't be sure yet since I am just a beginner.