- - - - -

Christian Prayer Center Stealing For Jesus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 prplfox

prplfox

Doubter

• 64 posts
  • Interests:Forget being like Jesus, we can do so much better than that.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :That could mean anything

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

So christianprayercenter.com is a website where you can submit a prayer request and be prayed for by other Christians. If you have a credit card, of course. I sent an email to them (on the bottom). I want to punch them. Someone help me punch them.

Posted Image

Edited by prplfox, 04 January 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#2 blackpudd1n

blackpudd1n

Mother of all Pudd

• ★ Gold Patron ★
  • 4,596 posts
  • Location:The east coast of Australia, in the state of NSW :)
  • Interests:Cats. Particularly two, called Bruce and Wednesday :P Feminism. Learning. Honesty. Heavy Metal. Doc Martens. Reading. Talking. Mental health issues. Daria.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Atheist and proud :)

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:19 AM

So christianprayercenter.com is a website where you can submit a prayer request and be prayed for by other Christians. If you have a credit card, of course. I sent an email to them (on the bottom). I want to punch them. Someone help me punch them.

Posted Image

I can't seem to get the attachment/thumbnail thingy to work- would you mind re-posting it? I'm interested in having a look :)

"He believed to the end exactly the same things he started with. It seems to me that a man who can think straight along for forty-seven years without changing a single idea ought to be kept in a cabinet as a curiosity."- Jean Webster

#3 SillyString

SillyString

Skeptic

• 365 posts
  • Interests:Truth
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Truth

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

It's sad that people will actually pay them, expecting something to happen.

Edited by BethM, 03 January 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#4 midniterider

midniterider

Humanist

• 3,754 posts
  • Interests:Chaos Magick, Meditation, Lucid Dreaming. I try not to take my philosophy of life too seriously.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Monistic Idealist

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

Posted Image

For $19.95 we'll pray for you to get whatever you want. But if you act now we will pray for you twice! That's right! Twice.
Psalm 16:11 -You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence,with eternal pleasures at your right hand. - So Christian masturbation is AOK after all.

#5 Margee

Margee

'Madame Lilith'

• 5,271 posts
  • Interests:Learning how to be an ex-Christian and be comfortable with it!
    This is my 'Please Forgive Me' letter - It is my testimony and I hope it helps someone....You'll have to copy and paste.
    http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/44259-please-forgive-me/
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Non-Believer

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

Posted Image

For $19.95 we'll pray for you to get whatever you want. But if you act now we will pray for you twice! That's right! Twice.

Just leave your credit card number and the prayer begins immedietely..............WWWMargeeworksmiracles.com
93% of the mass in our body is stardust. Just think.....long ago someone may have wished upon a star that you are made of.
God may not work.....but you could try wishing upon a star! Posted Image

#6 Chikirin

Chikirin

Skeptic

• 636 posts
  • Interests:Stress relief
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Agnostic

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

19.95? I've seen them ask for 100, 500, even 1,000 praise god!

#7 ireckinso

ireckinso

Strong Minded

• 219 posts
  • Interests:Graphic design (2d-3d), Movies, Computers, Art, Sculpting, building design and practical application, enjoying life.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Mr. Stay Puft

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

I work for half price. Just send me $9.95 in cash and I promise I will pray for you. If you act in the next 2 minutes I will say a prayer for any pet of your choosing. No pets? Just send me a self-addressed stamped envelope and I will send you a voucher that you can give as a gift of prayer for a loved ones pet.
Remember; Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

#8 prplfox

prplfox

Doubter

• 64 posts
  • Interests:Forget being like Jesus, we can do so much better than that.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :That could mean anything

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

I tried the picture again. Does it work now? You can click on it to see the note I sent Pastor John, who not surprisingly, did not write back.

It gets worse. The minimum amount of money you must give to submit your prayer request is $9, but if you try to give only that much, they hit you with this:

"Give when times are tough, give when it does not seem that giving is possible, and God will reward your faith with His generosity in answering your important prayers quickly."

Is this illegal? I'm serious. It's not ok. They give a phone number 1-888-435-1217. I'm going to call them. You should do the same.

#9 Positivist

Positivist

Dog Is My Co-Pilot

• 1,876 posts
  • Interests:Ecocentrism, animal welfare, environmentalism, music, good food, good friends.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Be good.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

It gets worse. The minimum amount of money you must give to submit your prayer request is $9, but if you try to give only that much, they hit you with this:
"Give when times are tough, give when it does not seem that giving is possible, and God will reward your faith with His generosity in answering your important prayers quickly."

OMG. That is really bad. And what is so sad about that is it's the poor and desperate people who send in what they can't afford for a miracle they will never get.

Maybe us Ex-Cers should phone and ask for concrete assistance like, "I'm poor, want to go out and can't afford a sitter. Can one of your people babysit, because that's what I really need right now. I'll pay you $9."

Answered prayer, no?

Seriously though, is there any sort of watchdog org for groups like this? Can you ask to see their financials? Can you call the IRS? Can you get them on someone's radar? I agree, this is criminal!

POSITIVISM
A belief system or philosophical orientation that is realist in its ontology, objectivist in its epistemology, and empirical in its methodology.
FOLLOW THE EVIDENCE

#10 R. S. Martin

R. S. Martin

I do my own thinking

• 8,849 posts
  • Interests:learning why people believe what they do and normal stuff like birds, dogs and music
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :I have yet to see the evidence

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:06 AM

Okay, here's the prayer I wrote:

Category: Relationships
Title: Family Relationships
Describe the Situation: My life in general is fairly good but I am estranged from my family because they disagree that I should follow my personal convictions.
What is your request: I would like my family to accept me as a human in my own right, an equal to them, no matter what beliefs I hold since they are important to me and who I really am. I would have to lie and forego personal integrity to meet their expectations. It would mean so much to me if they could learn to live and let live. Thank you.

Then I hit "submit request," and was hit with a whole batch of things I had to check:
  • Do you believe in what the Bible tells us about prayer? Yes or No. I checked No.
  • Do you have faith in God to answer this prayer request? Yes or No. I checked No.
  • How important is your request? Not Important, Somewhat Important, Very Important, Extremely Important. I checked Extremely Important.
  • How much would you like to offer with your request? $9 $15 $25 $35 I checked none.
I hit "submit request," and get the message, "Please select the amount you would like to offer with your request. I'm sorry but we cannot post your message without an offering. There are too many in need of powerful prayer at this time, so we can only broadcast requests that have made a seed offering."

Well, that sucks. Don't they know how many millions are in desperate need who have not a penny to their name? I guess they will only pray for rich people. Or for people who have some money and are desperate for more. Like the woman who posted that her husband lost his job--her family surely needed the $9 or $35 or whatever for groceries or other life necessities more than for "powerful prayer" that is only empty rituals and promises.

Is there a way to report this kind of thing for fraud?

Atheist Apologist
SOFREE (Society of Ontario Freethinkers)

#11 Vigile

Vigile

Fully Human

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 23,753 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Nebbiolo, devushki and Kerouac.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:17 AM

Perhaps we should report this site to the state's attorney general. This is fraud and I doubt very much it's protected under religious freedom laws.

Edit: Their website says it is located in WA state. I went to the WA state AG website, but they only accept complaints from state residents.

If anyone is a resident of WA, here is the online complaint form: https://fortress.wa....plaintForm.aspx
It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
-Voltaire

#12 Margee

Margee

'Madame Lilith'

• 5,271 posts
    This is my 'Please Forgive Me' letter - It is my testimony and I hope it helps someone....You'll have to copy and paste.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

I once wrote a letter to one of the big religious corporations (I think it was Kenneth Copeland ministries) and asked them if they would write me out a check for $100.00 because I was suffereing financially and didn't have food in my house for my children. (I made the whole story up of course) I sent this request along with the envelope that stated that god 'returns' your 'investment' 10 fold.........so I explained to them in the letter that if they would help me out with $100.00 - they would be 'blessed' and recieve back from the lord $1000.00.

I did this as an experiment in the last 5-6 years just to see what kind of repsonse I would get.

I never heard from them again.......True story.........
93% of the mass in our body is stardust. Just think.....long ago someone may have wished upon a star that you are made of.

#13 R. S. Martin

R. S. Martin

I do my own thinking

• 8,849 posts
  • Interests:learning why people believe what they do and normal stuff like birds, dogs and music

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

Perhaps we should report this site to the state's attorney general. This is fraud and I doubt very much it's protected under religious freedom laws.

Edit: Their website says it is located in WA state. I went to the WA state AG website, but they only accept complaints from state residents.

If anyone is a resident of WA, here is the online complaint form: https://fortress.wa....plaintForm.aspx

Okay, I've got an actual postal address for this Christian Prayer Center. Apparently, when you sign up to post a prayer request, you get two emails from the senior pastor John Carlson.

The first one is Welcome to the Christian Prayer Center and includes their postal address in case "you would like to send prayer requests or offerings by mail."

The second is Want to Stay on our Prayer List, [first name]?. Among a lot of promises it assures "God sees everything we do. Have faith." Their email address is included.

Here's the thing that proves this wonderful senior pastor never looked over my profile or prayer request or anything. He says: In the past, you have asked for prayer, so I am inviting you again to to get on our prayer list.

As you fellow exers know from my post above, my prayer request was refused (never submitted) because God's track record is such that I considered myself better off to use those $9 to buy basic food staples than prayer. Thus, Pastor John Carlson is wrongly saying "in the past you have asked for prayer." And he cannot invite me "again" if there never was a first time.

This whole thing is a money-making campaign and the guy behind it is not moving a finger to earn it. I would question whether John Carlson is even his real name. Where are the pics of this "Center"? All the photos on the website are of happy people. You can get anyone to smile, clap their hands, and jump around for a camera.

Atheist Apologist

#14 Margee

Margee

'Madame Lilith'

• 5,271 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

I just found this:

http://larro.postero...n-prayer-center

http://www.ripoffrep...unbel-9987d.htm

http://lukevi.com/20...site-from-hell/

#15 Legion

Legion

Psycho Somatic

• 11,970 posts
  • Interests:Survival sounds good. I'd really like to have understanding too That'd be cool.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :the smile on Lao Tzu's dog

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

Margee, this is the process of the dead burying the dead.

(in my opinion)

Posted Image

Living under the rise of tyranny.

#16 R. S. Martin

R. S. Martin

I do my own thinking

• 8,849 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

I'm still exploring the site. They have a tab for "Bookstore." I clicked on it. The page that comes up requests my mailing (shipping) address in the top left-hand corner of the first page before I ever see what merchandize they have to offer.

CORRECTION: In the very top it says: Recommended Reading for Winter 2011-2012, followed by the offer of their book Miracles Through Prayer by Pastor Randolph McFinn. Listed Price $29.95. CPC Price $24.95.

In my mind, the offering of a single book does not constitute a book store. I see no links or tabs leading to more pages. I have no idea what all appears if one fills in a "shipping address." ....

....It's getting worse and worse the deeper I dig. I clicked on the tab for financial problems. And there's a link for Debt Problems--Canada. Clicked on it. Got Canada Debt Consolidation/Debt Counselling/Debt Relief (here). It looks like a website for those scam telephone calls I get all the time promising help for my debt--as though I had debt I needed help with. Okay, maybe I do but I'm NOT going with some unknown faceless stranger on the telephone. I'm dealing directly with the people involved and well-known trusted agencies approved of by financial institutions and governments. They do the exact same thing these scams promise but they do it legally and above-board, with "legally" meaning "that which is approved by society and the system supported by the powers-that-be."

Christian Prayer Center also has a link "Bad Credit but Need a Car." This leads to CarCreditOK.com. I never bought a car so I don't know if they are good. But my point is, the Christian Prayer Center is not lifting a finger to provide financial advice; they're linking up to various questionable internet sites.

Did I mention. They say bankruptcy is a Christian right and quote Deuteronomy that people have a right to be released from debt: "At the end of every seven years you shall grant a release of debts. And this is the form of the release: Every creditor who has lent anything to his neighbor shall release it; he shall not require it of his neighbor or his brother, because it is called the LORD's release" (Deuteronomy 15:1-2).

At the same time, no prayer requests are accepted without payment.

But they ask: Are you completely out of money

Posted Image

Edited by R. S. Martin, 06 January 2012 - 01:12 PM.

Atheist Apologist

#17 R. S. Martin

R. S. Martin

I do my own thinking

• 8,849 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

Margee, I looked at all your links. Very balanced list. A blog by an atheist and one by a devout Christian. All come to the same conclusion.

I was also encouraged to see what Rip-off Reports is doing. They have two more reports of this place on file, listed here. Their reports are permanent and they cooperate with attorneys, the media, and law-enforcement to aid victims.

In case anyone is interested, on Yahoo Answers, I found a discussion on "Why does Christian Prayer Center charge people for their prayer requests?"

Atheist Apologist

#18 Legion

Legion

Psycho Somatic

• 11,970 posts
  • Interests:Survival sounds good. I'd really like to have understanding too That'd be cool.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

Please, please, let it go R.S.M.

They suck. They're dying. Let them die and live your life.

Posted Image

#19 R. S. Martin

R. S. Martin

I do my own thinking

• 8,849 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

Please, please, let it go R.S.M.

They suck. They're dying. Let them die and live your life.

Legion, I am having the time of my life researching this scam and reporting the findings to my fellow humans. I'm not asking you to read it. Go live your life.

Atheist Apologist

#20 Legion

Legion

Psycho Somatic

• 11,970 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

Legion, I am having the time of my life researching this scam and reporting the findings to my fellow humans. I'm not asking you to read it. Go live your life.

:HaHa: My always spunky RSM!

Very well, spend your time dancing on their grave if you wish.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users