Goodbye Jesus

ICOC - Internatonal Churches

Guest JPD

Any of you XCs ex-members of this cult. Anyone ever even heard of it?

107101[/snapback]

I've never heard of ICOC. Though, I went to a COC for a while. Were they similar in doctrine? How were they different? Didn't you say ICOC broke off from COC?

Yeah, The broke from the COC. Their doctrine was basically COC like it was in it's infancy, with some subtle differences that allowed them to more fully control their members. The COC has loosened it's belief that it is the one true church over the years, but central to the teachings of the ICOC was this belief that they were the one and only true church.

The main difference is the organisation of the cult which was designed to make sure that every member was doing their utmost to bring in new members, pay their tithe in addition to regular "special contributions", and keep their life as free of sin and information critical of the church as was possible.

Did they have camp? What I remember from COC is camp in the summer. I had been baptized twice before I went there, once Methodist and once in a non-denominational chruch. Since I wasn't baptized COC they said the other two times didn't count and I wasn't really saved. So, I was baptized a third time. They also didn't have musical instruments in their service because there is no reference of musical intruments in the NT and they were the true NT church.

Did they have camp?

107119[/snapback]

Probably, but I joined at 19. They had retreats, like every other church on the planet.

What I remember from COC is camp in the summer.  I had  been baptized twice before I went there, once Methodist and once in a non-denominational chruch.  Since I wasn't baptized COC they said the other two times didn't count and I wasn't really saved. So, I was baptized a third time. 

Yeah, they teach that you must be baptised to be saved, but you also have to know that you are being baptised for the forgiveness of your sins and have repented for it to work. I think I was probably baptised 3 or 4 times as a youth before I joined the ICOC and received my "real" baptism. I ended up converting and baptising about a dozen people in the three years I was there, and all of them had been previously baptised.

They also didn't have musical instruments in their service because there is no reference of musical intruments in the NT and they were the true NT church.

This was the case the first year I was a member, but the leadership had a revelation, and realised that instruments were okay. The congregational singing remained a capella (which was quite moving and wonderful, i must say), but there were special performances with instruments that were allowed. I was especially glad of this, as I am a singer/songwriter/guitar player by trade and joy.

One of the things that led me to begin questioning the truth of that church was when a friend of mine, who had a masters in voice from Juilliard and had the most ethereal operatic soprano that you can imagine, was barred from performing because she was overweight. At the time our "evangelist" was probably 40 or 50 lbs overweight and suffering from "chronic fatigue syndrome" so he didn't even come to church, but because this girl was "fat" she couldn't sing on stage, one of the few joys she had left in life due to her devotion to the church precluding her seriously pursuing her career.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah... I was a member of LA ICOC... East Region, Campus ministry. Joined in 2002... ended 2004. How's about yourself?

One of the things that led me to begin questioning the truth of that church was when a friend of mine, who had a masters in voice from Juilliard and had the most ethereal operatic soprano that you can imagine, was barred from performing because she was overweight. At the time our "evangelist" was probably 40 or 50 lbs overweight and suffering from "chronic fatigue syndrome" so he didn't even come to church, but because this girl was "fat" she couldn't sing on stage, one of the few joys she had left in life due to her devotion to the church precluding her seriously pursuing her career.

I am not surprised, really. Even when I was a kid, my mother was extremely fat phobic (but she was Lutheran). Conservative churches have always been fat phobic and discriminatory towards overweight women, but they let the men get as fat as they want to and have no negative repercussions. Especially the preachers.

:ugh:

Do they have any denoms of Christ that call themselves Knights?

They all go to COCKs?

Yeah... I was a member of LA ICOC... East Region, Campus ministry. Joined in 2002... ended 2004. How's about yourself?

The Nashville Church. Arts ministry. I joined in june of 92 and left in december of 95.

I was raised in the CoC, and most of what I know about them is that they're going to hell.

I also learned that the baptists, methodists, catholics, and everyone else that went to a church that didn't have a sign in the front saying "Church of Christ" is going to hell.

And yes, the ICoC did spring out of the CoC in the late 80's. But since their sign had an "International" in it, they're going to hell too. :shrug:

n the late 80'

Not that I care, but it was in the late 70s in the campus crusade ministry.

bah, me either :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, that's the denomination (though they deny they are one) I was a part of when I decided Christianity was no longer my thing. I was a member of one of their southeastern US churches for almost 6 years... I left the group in the mid-1990's. There's a very good forum specifically dedicated to their issues, if it's ok for me to post it...

http://forums.delphiforums.com/iccdiscussion/start

The ICoC is fairly standard doctrine-wise (they're an offshoot of the Stone-Campbell Restoration movement, similar to mainline Churches of Christ, Disciples of Christ, and the "Christian Church"), but very cult-like, IMO, on a psychological level--lots of manipulation and coercion, which I personally experienced on an ongoing basis as a member.

I feel completely resolved about my ICoC-related issues, but still pondering the whole issue of a Higher Power and what that means for me on a practical level (because at this time, I do still believe in some sort of Higher Power).

SSH