Goodbye Jesus

Pudd's Questions On Everything Beyond The Atmosphere

blackpudd1n

Given that the brain is not a muscle. I find it highly difficult to believe that it's actually spasming. ;)

That proves you're normal wink.png

Wow, you're the second person to ever call me normal! I moved in with the first :P

Given that the brain is not a muscle. I find it highly difficult to believe that it's actually spasming. wink.png

Wires missing? Over-loaded currents?

Actually, Thurisaz, here is an excerpt from Dawkins' The God Delusion that I just happened to read after you posted that post on black holes:

"Another theoretical physicist, Lee Smolin, has developed a tantalizingly Darwinian variant on the multiverse theory, including both serial and parallel elements. Smolin's idea, expounded in The Life of the Cosmos, hinges on the theory that daughter universes are born of parent universes, not in a fully fledged big crunch but more locally in black holes. Smolin adds a form of heredity: the fundamental constants of a daughter universe are slightly 'mutated' versions of the constants of its parent. Heredity is the essential ingredient of Darwinian natural selection, and the rest of Smolin's theory follows naturally. Those universes that have what it takes to 'survive' and 'reproduce' come to predominate in the multiverse. 'What it takes' includes lasting long enough to 'reproduce'. Because the act of reproduction takes place in black holes, successful universes must have what it takes to make black holes. This ability entails various other properties. For example, the tendency for matter to condence into clouds and then stars is a prerequisite to making black holes. Stars also, as we have seen, are the precursors to the development of interesting chemistry, and hence life. So, Smolin suggests, there has been a Darwinian natural selection of universes in the multiverse, directly favouring the evolution of black hole fecundity and indirectly favouring the production of life. Not all physicists are enthusiastic about Smolin's idea, although the Nobel Prize-winning physicist Murray Gell-Mann is quoted as saying: 'Smolin? Is he that young guy with those crazy ideas? He may not be wrong.' "- The God Delusion, pp174-175

This idea of Smolin's is somewhat akin to your idea idea, right, Thurisaz?

Wow, you're the second person to ever call me normal! I moved in with the first tongue.png

If I ever come to Australia there might be certain... options then... *grins, ducks and runs* :P

I'd think so... although I didn't meditate about just what those hypothetical new universes might be like. As we'll never know anyway, all bets are off and we can speculate wildly - and very different universes might be more fun to think about ;)

That is, unless we one day find that the story of that goo' ol' Disney movie "the black hole" is very realistic... (for those who aren't such old farts as I am, in the last few minutes of the movie the heros actually cross the black hole and arrive in the new universe on the other side). ^^

being disney...the bad guys got to hell and the good guy go to heaven.....but yeah.

" there are old pilots and bold pilots but very few old bold pilots" Bout the only quote I remember from that movie.

Scintillating scintillating, microscopic asteroid,

querying the origins of your inception;

distantly elevated above aqueous spherical orb,

symbolic, carbonious, composition,

compressed via the medium of extraneous heat and pressure

heavenly elevated

Wow, you're the second person to ever call me normal! I moved in with the first tongue.png

If I ever come to Australia there might be certain... options then... *grins, ducks and runs* tongue.png

LOL

I'd think so... although I didn't meditate about just what those hypothetical new universes might be like. As we'll never know anyway, all bets are off and we can speculate wildly - and very different universes might be more fun to think about wink.png

That is, unless we one day find that the story of that goo' ol' Disney movie "the black hole" is very realistic... (for those who aren't such old farts as I am, in the last few minutes of the movie the heros actually cross the black hole and arrive in the new universe on the other side). ^^

I thought so. I literally read your last post, and then picked up the book, and that's the very next thing I read. I thought you'd be interested in it :)

heavenly elevated

...Did you just write a science poem, LL?

• Like 1

...I literally read your last post, and then picked up the book, and that's the very next thing I read. I thought you'd be interested in it smile.png

Heh. Let me know what you think of it once you're through. I've read it sometime last year and was surprised how close the movie follows the book, aside from the last few moments :)

heavenly elevated

That is the $15/word version of twinkle twinkle little star. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Been tempted all along to post the nursery rhyme on this thread. It sure was simpler back then eh?

I think I got it from what if scientists wrote poetry/nursery rhymes.

...I literally read your last post, and then picked up the book, and that's the very next thing I read. I thought you'd be interested in it smile.png

Heh. Let me know what you think of it once you're through. I've read it sometime last year and was surprised how close the movie follows the book, aside from the last few moments smile.png

...There's a documentary on The God Delusion?!

heavenly elevated

That is the $15/word version of twinkle twinkle little star. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Been tempted all along to post the nursery rhyme on this thread. It sure was simpler back then eh?

I think I got it from what if scientists wrote poetry/nursery rhymes.

lol yeah, though when I was a kid, being born deaf and no-one realising until I was three years old, my version of "twinkle, twinkle, little star" was "inky, inky, uppa uppa" lol

Heh. Let me know what you think of it once you're through. I've read it sometime last year and was surprised how close the movie follows the book, aside from the last few moments smile.png

Ah, never mind... I got confused there for a moment. :)

Ah, never mind... I got confused there for a moment. smile.png

Wait a minute, maybe you didn't. You weren't thinking of The Root of all Evil?, were you?

Movie

Book

Dawkins

I could see how you got confused.

...I don't understand. Though, in my defense, it is 5:48am and I only woke up 20 minutes ago :P

I was commenting on Thurisaz being confused.

The Black Hole was a book then Disney made it into a movie, but he quote your post about Dawkins and stated the movie followed the book, which led you to think they had made the God delusion into a movie.

That should clear it up.

The Black Hole was a book then Disney made it into a movie, but he quote your post about Dawkins and stated the movie followed the book, which led you to think they had made the God delusion into a movie.

That should clear it up.

Ah okay. But The God Delusion does follow on from The Root of all Evil?, right?

Guest Valk0010

A dwarf planet is one that is realllllllllllllllllllly realllllllllllllllly small compared to a average planet. That is what pluto became. Correct me if I am wrong.

Guest Valk0010

That should clear it up.

Ah okay. But The God Delusion does follow on from The Root of all Evil?, right?

Same basic principal except dawkins does way less philisophy in the root of all evil. He sort of trys to let religious people bury themselves.

I personally liked the Root of all evil way more then the god delusion.

Same basic principal except dawkins does way less philisophy in the root of all evil. He sort of trys to let religious people bury themselves.

Really? I'm rather enjoying The God Delusion. I'm learning heaps!

Guest Valk0010

Really? I'm rather enjoying The God Delusion. I'm learning heaps!

I rarely ever recommend reading a christian apologetic, but while dawkins makes his points badly and in a way that is hard to believe, alister mcgrath in the dawkins delusion rips him a new one.

Another reason I don't like the god delusion, is antony flew. Dawkins wrote flew off as cenial, when discussing flews conversion to deism. According to flew, dawkins never even asked him why flew changed his mind. To me that is the epitome of being close minded.