Goodbye Jesus

Homophobia Is Turning People Away From Christianity

Yalta

Adapt or die. Xianity is usually 20-50 years behind the curve, but they usually adapt. Otherwise it wouldn't have survived post slavery, among other things. I predict we'll see xianity accepting gay people 30 years or so down the road as it's already been 20 odd years since gay rights started to make headway mainstream.

By then, their bigotry will be swept under the rug and their current believers will be in denial it ever existed.

Right. And then they will claim they always were in the forefront of fighting for equal rights for gays. (Just like they claim about slavery now.)

Not just slavery. Jerry Falwell (burn in hell) pulled a huge orwellian move and destroyed all copies of sermons he gave during the civil rights movement that spoke against it. After it was clear, the movement was going to win, then he "came out" (:snicker:) in favor and support of it. There is currently only one speech that exists from that time period by him.

You'll find a similar pattern in many of the Televangelists of the time.

Best graphic on this I have seen.

Imagine-in-40-years.jpg

• Like 6

The NAACP announced its support for gay marriage. I don't know how much influence they actually have, but I think this is very significant, since many black churches are anti-gay theologically and are against gay marriage.

Adapt or die. Xianity is usually 20-50 years behind the curve, but they usually adapt. Otherwise it wouldn't have survived post slavery, among other things. I predict we'll see xianity accepting gay people 30 years or so down the road as it's already been 20 odd years since gay rights started to make headway mainstream.

By then, their bigotry will be swept under the rug and their current believers will be in denial it ever existed.

Right. And then they will claim they always were in the forefront of fighting for equal rights for gays. (Just like they claim about slavery now.)

Not just slavery. Jerry Falwell (burn in hell) pulled a huge orwellian move and destroyed all copies of sermons he gave during the civil rights movement that spoke against it. After it was clear, the movement was going to win, then he "came out" (:snicker:) in favor and support of it. There is currently only one speech that exists from that time period by him.

Imagine-in-40-years.jpg

Wow, look how much fatter the people are today compared with in the '60s!
  • Like 3

Ever since the announcement by Obama, if the webs are anything to go on, the crazies have come out in force. On the C-D political forum, that is all they retards want to talk about.

What amazes me, even if Obama favours gay marriage, their is pretty much very little he can do to pass a law on his lonesome that would not get shot down by the SCOTUS. (Can he even do this?)

IMO this was a planned strategy and getting the crazies out upfront and centre, who are not going to vote for him anyway, will swing any centrists/independents to his side. Who wants to be associated with nuts?

Then again, the LGBT folk, as pleased as they are for finally being recognised as humans by the highest office, is this not using your fight as a ploy and a political tool? The fight is long from over from what I observe.

On his own no. Marriage law is the pervue of the States.

However there is a precedent.

In the 1960 during the Civil Rights movement, many states has laws banning interracial marriage. Though oddly Asians were not always included. It was specific to Black and White marriages. I believe it was New York State or one of the Noreasters that changed the law and allowed it.

Then a mixed race couple moved somewhere where they could be married. They challenged it in federal court. The courts ruled that under the commerce clause of the Constitution a person who is married in one state has to be recognized as married in every other state in the union. This is why i was happy to see that some states were allows same sex marriage.

Eventually this will come up. It will get challenged in court and this precedent will be brought up and all the governments will be forced to acknowledge them.

The Prez can't do it. He does not have the authority. However, by talking about it and supporting it, that is something that helps in other ways.

Imagine-in-40-years.jpg

Wow, look how much fatter the people are today compared with in the '60s!

however I think the age range of the population of the gathering is similar......that says something I think

I wanted to comment on the signs they are carrying. "race mixing is communism" and the other one "... march of the anti-christ", the current year has "one man one woman for life".

Interesting that communism and satan (anti-christ) have become so much more accepted since then. But clearly all of the signs from both time periods are religious. As usual, religion is at the hateful front line trying to make sure people heed their sick lifestyle.

In the 80's there was a great letter that was wandering around the media. It was a diatribe on how bad gays were and was basically written by a religious group. I have not ever run into it on the internet, and it has no official name that I know of. However it was rewritten by the gay community by substituting the word religion for any gay or lesbian reference. The letter was spot on at that point.

My point is that anything the xian nutz throw out there at any group can easily be reworded with religion in it's place, and the message actually becomes true 9 times out of 10.

I agree with stryper, that is the best graphic so far.

• Like 1

I just had to share this funny sign.

gaysign.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting that communism and satan (anti-christ) have become so much more accepted since then. But clearly all of the signs from both time periods are religious. As usual, religion is at the hateful front line trying to make sure people heed their sick lifestyle.

Personally, I think what it shows is these are the type of people who are most easily swayed by fear mongering. Not very different from those who in recent years jumped at the orange and red alerts the government issued related to terrorism. Communism has been replaced with the terror threat and the threat of mixed marriage, which in their minds would lead to the destruction of the culture and their way of life as they knew it, is now replaced with gay marriage.

In the future, the perceived threats will change, but it will be the same personality types who are most vulnerable.

Dr. George Lakeoff argued this correlates with strict father syndrome. Those who were raised in more nurturing environments are not so jumpy and more open to new ideas and change, whereas those whose father had the last word in the household (what he says goes) are less likely to question authority and fear when the current societal paradigm is challenged, which it was during the civil rights era and which it is again today in a new area of civil rights.

Dr. George Lakeoff argued this correlates with strict father syndrome. Those who were raised in more nurturing environments are not so jumpy and more open to new ideas and change, whereas those whose father had the last word in the household (what he says goes) are less likely to question authority and fear when the current societal paradigm is challenged, which it was during the civil rights era and which it is again today in a new area of civil rights.

It's taken years for me to not become scared stiff whenever a person in charge starts to yell about something. Or when something scary begins to happen. I can empathize.

It should also be noted that the grandparents of every generation have always said the next generation would fail or worried that they would. Hasn't happened yet.

I completely agree that people who are in fear mode are following the latest "threat". It is typical of the "sheep" mentality. And I really see that American culture promotes the "be a part of the popular crowd/mentality" or be shunned as an outsider. I think this is another reason that xianity has such a hold on America. Non-xians are treated very badly by being out of the sheep world. I am so sick of the word "terrorist". It's as pathetic as the fear of Russia in the 50's.

Quite interesting about strict fathers. Mine clearly was not strict. I have no issues with authority.

south-park2.jpg

• Like 2

I guess everyone is different, I grew up with an ultra strict disciplinarian fundamentalist father and that actually caused me to completely rebel when I got older and half lead me to a few years of drug use and satanic death metal. I was only allowed to listen to christian music andI figured if I'd get in trouble for listening to anything which wasn't christian, I might as well listen to something worth getting into trouble for. His meanness also helped me to get to a point of questioning the validity of a loving god.

I guess everyone is different, I grew up with an ultra strict disciplinarian fundamentalist father and that actually caused me to completely rebel when I got older and half lead me to a few years of drug use and satanic death metal. I was only allowed to listen to christian music andI figured if I'd get in trouble for listening to anything which wasn't christian, I might as well listen to something worth getting into trouble for. His meanness also helped me to get to a point of questioning the validity of a loving god.

I'm no expert by any means, but perhaps your father was too strict? :shrug:

Or, you could be an outlier.

See if you can catch the joke about our current headlines.

This was a big ticket issue for me about 10 years ago. I still considered myself a "Christian" during that time, but the whole thing on homosexuality being wrong REALLY put me off.

I would get into long, drawn out online arguments over interpretations of those infamous verses. Multiple times. I probably wrote a cumulative of like... 100 pages total in arguments to people. I learned the original words used in those verses by looking them up in Strong's and reading all I could on them.

Although... that COULD also have just been the outlet I chose for my addictive nature to debating with people.

It will be awhile until Christianity accepts homosexuality if at all. The civil rights movement in the US really wasn't that long ago and racism is still fairly prominent. Even here in Australia where the whole black/white thing never really existed there is underlying racism that permeates the culture. Hell, even though we are secularists for the most part there are still a large amount of religious people about. I would be afraid to be "provocative" in certain parts of Sydney. Outside of the inner city, it would be unwise to make oneself appear to be obviously gay or atheist. I got plenty of stories of why that would be the case.

Anyways, I'm getting sidetracked here smile.png My point is this, if we haven't even really gotten over the racial tension yet, I doubt the whole gay thing is gonna blow over any time soon. Homosexuality still caries a stigma to it with people who aren't religious, until that blows over Christianity won't accept it and will play on society's current tension with it to it's own advantage.

Yeah, you're right- around the Shire in the south, or the Hills district, in particular, you'd be pretty well fucked. Northern Beaches, too. They're the main areas that spring to my mind.

Imagine-in-40-years.jpg

Wow, people were a lot thinner and better groomed 40 years ago. Notice also the lack of younger folk in the current pic.