Goodbye Jesus

Bible Verses To Post On Fb To Reveal All Of The Christian "god"

sjessen

I am sick of a friend of mine posting all these Bible verses on FB. The other day, she said she loves God because he is so KIND. She says she doesn't think she would love him if he weren't so kind.

I asked her what KINDNESS she was referring to, and she gave the usual response: he died for undeserving me, he gets me through everything, that kind of answer.

I was ranting about this and then the idea popped in my mind to start posting Bible verses on my FB page that show how UNKIND God has been revealed to be in the Bible. Or anything that just doesn't make any sense.

Okay, so I need your help.

1. Do you think this will accomplish anything positive or is it just a waste of time?
  2. Would you please contribute verses here on this thread that I can use?

Okay, I look forward to your responses. wicked.gif

Do it so we can live vicariously through you. ;) No joke. I have been wanting to do that, but lack the courage.

• Like 5

I don't know your friend, so I don't know if it's a smart idea or not. What do you want to accomplish?

If you decide to go on with it, I'll be more than happy to contribute. This website is a good start: http://www.evilbible.com/

edit:typo

I don't know your friend, so I don't know if it's a smart idea or not. What do you want to accomplice?

If you decide to go on with it, I'll be more than happy to contribute. This website is a good start: http://www.evilbible.com/

Thanks for the website, I checked it out and it will help a lot. I really like the contradictions area.

I think I am just tired of all the pro-Bible stuff I hear and it is all so selective. They ignore the other stuff and I thought it would make me feel better to share some of the not-so-wonderful stuff. I could just block her posts, but for some reason it is aggravating me. I don't want to do something dumb, though, and I can rush into things, so that's why I am wondering what you guys think. I know some of you have wrestled with Christians on Bible verses and am wondering if doing that accomplishes anything.

I thought this way I'm not bashing the Bible, I'm just quoting it.

Do it so we can live vicariously through you. wink.png No joke. I have been wanting to do that, but lack the courage.

LOL, I love it. I like it 'cause by doing that I'm not stating an opinion or saying anything bad, I'm just quoting the Bible like they do. If I do it, I will let you know how it goes! smile.png

• Like 1

Oh man I have been thinking of doing this too... just plain sick of these fucking daily verse posts that so many people do. One of these days I'll start an "I can quote the bible too!" daily post where I put up two entirely contradictory verses and say no more, just let the "word of gawd" speak for itself.

Will it make a difference? Don't plan on overthrowing the cult if that's what you mean. But you might just make somebody sit back and THINK about the stupid shit that's in the bible. And then they might even stop believing in it. And that would definitely be worth it.

Here's another good site to look at for material:

http://www.1001biblecontradictions.com/

I hope you really do this. I'm not sure I can because I'm still a closet atheist with respect to family and they're all on fb.

• Like 2

Oh man I have been thinking of doing this too... just plain sick of these fucking daily verse posts that so many people do. One of these days I'll start an "I can quote the bible too!" daily post where I put up two entirely contradictory verses and say no more, just let the "word of gawd" speak for itself.

Will it make a difference? Don't plan on overthrowing the cult if that's what you mean. But you might just make somebody sit back and THINK about the stupid shit that's in the bible. And then they might even stop believing in it. And that would definitely be worth it.

Here's another good site to look at for material:

http://www.1001bible...radictions.com/

I hope you really do this. I'm not sure I can because I'm still a closet atheist with respect to family and they're all on fb.

LOL, thanks for the support. I am pretty psyched about this. I really have nothing to lose. I feel, too, like you are saying. Let the Bible speak for itself! And I totally understand you not doing it! Thanks for the website address! And welcome to the forum!

I totally understand you not doing it!

One of these days though, one of these days...

And eventually I'll come out. I can give it time. Hell, it's been less than a year since I came out to myself, so this all feels pretty new. It'll have to happen when I finally decide to have kids, or maybe one of them will make some particularly annoying fundy comment and I'll just snap.

I also have 8 male 1st cousins and we're a pretty tight family...I've made a vow that if a single one of them comes out as gay I will immediately out myself as atheist.

I too will be living vicariously through you! You will have to keep us posted on the mayhem that ensues! smile.png

Yes please do as if i did it i would be in a real shit storm, and yes you would be acomplishing somthing becuase anytime controversy is caused it is a acomplishment for the greater inteligence of man kind.

Go for it! Why not, you'll only be putting what's in there, and if the Christians complain about it always being negative you can just say that it's in the bible so why shouldn't you be able to put it... this will be interesting!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, quoting the bad parts of the bible, the "satanic verses" if you will, only reinforces the beliefs of most xians. They view it as an attack on the faith by the enemy, proving that (to them) the devil is real, ergo god is real. They secretly, or not do secretly for some, LOVE to feel persecuted. They'll ask why you're "taking it out of context" or posting verses that "don't apply anymore". Maybe one or two out of a hundred will actually hesitate briefly and allow critical thinking to begin. Is that worth it to you? Piss off the vast majority to hopefully get through to a small %? I'm just saying, it's not very efficient bc xians are blinded to reality and their book has no flaws. I'm not suggesting NOT do it, just be realistic about what you expect out of the process. :)

• Like 4

That is a great idea, but be aware you will probably have some backlash. That said, all you have to tell them is you are quoting the whole bible, not a narrow bible study but all of it ! :D

Personally I think if you can handle it, it would be worth it. You might -save a soul- from the prison of xianity. I think that's how so many xians get converted because they are so loud & in your face...& us ex-christians don't use our voice the way we could. (I know I don't, I'm working on though)

This is a little off topic but I stay in touch w/ some people who are not in the bible cult but have family in it. Yet, they are still fundy for all intents & purposes. So this lovely older lady emails me & she's going on about how happy she is that certain states are putting up the 10 commandments on the walls...& she's all tea-bagger...& how people need to think more about what the bible teaches...blah blah.

I actually emailed her back with some of my NEW formed opinions explaining that I don't believe the same that I used to when I was in the cult & did not get into any religious reasons, but she spoke of politics & I told her I've changed that way. She likes Francis Schafer & I told her that I like his son....(that might be a give a way)

I also suggested she might want to listen to NPR to get a broader view of issues that the radical right seem to think they have figured out.

I may have lost a "friend" but I'm kinda tired of these loud mouthed fundy's thinking they know everything. I may end up blogging anonymously one of these days.

• Like 1

I like evilbible as well, its a great site.

What >I< would quote is Matthew 10:5-6, 15:24 that Jesus was sent only to the Jews, and call a gentile woman a dog Mark 7:24-30. Calling a woman a dog is a supreme insult in the middle east. So far from being saviour of the world Jesus was in fact, a fevent Jew.

He was possibly racist fanatical Jew who never claimed to be god and his teachings were to jews only, he believed in the deranged jewish laws and was not that orginial. That should raise a few giggles biggrin.png

• Like 1

If you do, please update us on how it goes!

Unfortunately, quoting the bad parts of the bible, the "satanic verses" if you will, only reinforces the beliefs of most xians. They view it as an attack on the faith by the enemy, proving that (to them) the devil is real, ergo god is real. They secretly, or not do secretly for some, LOVE to feel persecuted. They'll ask why you're "taking it out of context" or posting verses that "don't apply anymore". Maybe one or two out of a hundred will actually hesitate briefly and allow critical thinking to begin. Is that worth it to you? Piss off the vast majority to hopefully get through to a small %? I'm just saying, it's not very efficient bc xians are blinded to reality and their book has no flaws. I'm not suggesting NOT do it, just be realistic about what you expect out of the process. smile.png

I don't know about you but a large part of what brought me back to reality was learning what was actually in the bible... fundamentalism undid itself basically. I was taught a literalist viewpoint from a young age and used to justify all sorts of shit using cop-outs like saying it was a translation error (man's fault of course). But...there were only so many times I could do it before intellectual honesty took over.

Getting through to 1% of the viewers would be an amazing success. Pissing off the rest would just be fun. Quid pro quo xtians...we can quote the bible too, only we won't leave out the parts you don't like.

Oh yes, please do it. Just know that you will not change a fundies mind. You will propably get blowback. But....there are many people who are on the fringe of belief and they are the one we can influence. Chipping away at the edges will slowly shrink the tumor. And it's fun too.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, quoting the bad parts of the bible, the "satanic verses" if you will, only reinforces the beliefs of most xians. They view it as an attack on the faith by the enemy, proving that (to them) the devil is real, ergo god is real. They secretly, or not do secretly for some, LOVE to feel persecuted. They'll ask why you're "taking it out of context" or posting verses that "don't apply anymore". Maybe one or two out of a hundred will actually hesitate briefly and allow critical thinking to begin. Is that worth it to you? Piss off the vast majority to hopefully get through to a small %? I'm just saying, it's not very efficient bc xians are blinded to reality and their book has no flaws. I'm not suggesting NOT do it, just be realistic about what you expect out of the process. smile.png

I don't know about you but a large part of what brought me back to reality was learning what was actually in the bible... fundamentalism undid itself basically. I was taught a literalist viewpoint from a young age and used to justify all sorts of shit using cop-outs like saying it was a translation error (man's fault of course). But...there were only so many times I could do it before intellectual honesty took over.

Getting through to 1% of the viewers would be an amazing success. Pissing off the rest would just be fun. Quid pro quo xtians...we can quote the bible too, only we won't leave out the parts you don't like.

That's how I deconverted too, the crap that I didn't pay attention to before. Or at least that was part of it. It seems to me though that if you "throw" bible verses at them, it's almost counter productive. If they search on their own and find them, theyll internalize it much more. I'm not saying it won't work, im just pessimistic about it being more than a small %.

But it sounds fucking fun!

I think that if you do post these verses, you should just quote the verse and be done with it. Don't make any sort of commentary or anything. Let the evil in the verses speak for itself.

I anticipate a lot of "You're reading it out of context!" sort of comments though.

Wow, you guys have given me a lot to think about. Thank you!!!

The atheist society in my home state paid to put advertising on public busses. All it said was, "Don't Believe in God? You're Not Alone" There was such an uproar about those ads that the bus company took them down and gave a full refund to the society. Even the governor at the time said he was basically appalled by the bus signs. Good grief!

I am more convinced now that doing this would cause a lot of people to get pissed, even if all I did was quote the Bible. Not sure I am ready to fight that fight. I was going through the verses on the two web sites suggested here and some of my old feelings came back.

I will do some serious thinking about this. I do think it would be fun to do and I think you are right in that it may not reach very many people, so I need to decide if this is worth it. I would really like to do this though!

Ezekiel 23:20: She lusted after lovers with genitals as large as a donkey's and emissions like those of a horse.

I've often wondered if this was worth doing. I keep wanting to post the more offensive verses but really just think it will do nothing more than make people made at me. I remember when I first started reading the bible, I just couldn't imagine Jesus having anything to do with the old testament god, god was malevolent and extremely jealous, there was no way he'd share his glory with another and there was no indication he had a son. I struggled with this for a while even questioning if I should look into converting to Judaism before I prayed enough to convince myself that I was wrong and Christianity was right, who was I to question the lord almighty. I figure many christians will do the exact same thing.

I think that if you do post these verses, you should just quote the verse and be done with it. Don't make any sort of commentary or anything. Let the evil in the verses speak for itself.

I anticipate a lot of "You're reading it out of context!" sort of comments though.

Yeah, it would have to be a verse/verses that pretty much stood alone and said a lot. The contradictory verses that stood out to me were where it says how we are saved by grace through faith, not of works and then James says we are justified by our works, not faith. Not sure I like that either though...

The problem I see is the Bible is so damn vague that it is open to interpretation. That was one of the reasons I added to my list of why I felt the Bible couldn't be a work of "God". I would think God would make things very clear and understandable so there is no confusion. Doesn't the Bible say God is not the author of confusion. Oh wait, it says he is the author of confusion. Oh yeah, It says both! I think the Bible is probably the single most divisive, confusion-making, war-making books of all time. Not exactly what you would expect from a loving god!

• Like 1

Just throw a couple out to test the waters.

If I did it, and I've thought about it, I'd toss out judges 1:19 first. WAIT! I actually did that once. Got a xian response of " I hope god is with me like he was with The men of Judah". I almost committed suicide facepalming.

Missed the point completely. See? That's the kind of idiocy you'll likely deal with.

Same with me, seeing what was really in the Bible was a big part of my de-converstion. Maybe that's why it is really bothering me that this gal is posting all this stuff.