Goodbye Jesus

The A Word

jblueep

I'm not an atheist, i'm a bright. Duh.

It's pretty simple - i'm an atheist, and if anyone doesn't like it then they can kiss my ass.

• Like 2

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

• Super Moderator

It's pretty simple - i'm an atheist, and if anyone doesn't like it then they can kiss my ass.

Eventually every atheist will tire of compromising and appeasing. Eventually we will learn our numbers are much bigger than we ever imagined. But first, we must be identifiable.

• Like 1

Eventually every atheist will tire of compromising and appeasing. Eventually we will learn our numbers are much bigger than we ever imagined. But first, we must be identifiable.

The real victory will be when it's a non issue, like it is in most of Europe.

I'll keep my label though. I earned it.

When someone asks me what my tattoos mean, I tell them that "they are about something I used to believe in". Most usually leave it there. Although I've said that in front of a few people who know the significance of the tattoos, and of course that does lead to further discussion.

I like Daniel's thinking statement, although my recent experience shows me the xians (just like any biased group) will hear what they want to hear and turn your words into whatever they want to suit their world view.

What are your tats?

When someone asks me what my tattoos mean, I tell them that "they are about something I used to believe in". Most usually leave it there. Although I've said that in front of a few people who know the significance of the tattoos, and of course that does lead to further discussion.

I like Daniel's thinking statement, although my recent experience shows me the xians (just like any biased group) will hear what they want to hear and turn your words into whatever they want to suit their world view.

What are your tats?

I actually got them both less than a year before my de-conversion. They are on the insides of my forearms, about 8" by 1.5". At the time, I got them in such size and visibility so that people would ask about them, and I could tell them about my faith.

In hindsight, they were one of my last desperate attempts to "go all in" with my beliefs, i.e. to hold on to them in spite of evidence. In other words, they were attempts to resolve my cognitive dissonance.

The first tat is from John 19:30, i.e. the last words of Jesus, in Greek, meaning "it is finished" or "paid in full":

1.jpg

The second is from Matt 6:10 (the lord's prayer). It's Aramaic for "Your kingdom is come, your will is done, as in heaven so on earth".

2.jpg

What are your tats?

I actually got them both less than a year before my de-conversion. They are on the insides of my forearms, about 8" by 1.5". At the time, I got them in such size and visibility so that people would ask about them, and I could tell them about my faith.

In hindsight, they were one of my last desperate attempts to "go all in" with my beliefs, i.e. to hold on to them in spite of evidence. In other words, they were attempts to resolve my cognitive dissonance.

The first tat is from John 19:30, i.e. the last words of Jesus, in Greek, meaning "it is finished" or "paid in full":

1.jpg

The second is from Matt 6:10 (the lord's prayer). It's Aramaic for "Your kingdom is come, your will is done, as in heaven so on earth".

2.jpg

I AM SO SO SORRY YOU DID THAT.

But on the bright side, you can say that it says, well, whatever the F you want it to say. Nobody knows Greek!

• Like 1

Damn. DP.

Wait. The bottom ones not Greek is it?

Aramaic?

Wait. The bottom ones not Greek is it?

Aramaic?

Correct, the 2nd one is Aramaic.

I AM SO SO SORRY YOU DID THAT.

But on the bright side, you can say that it says, well, whatever the F you want it to say. Nobody knows Greek!

Well, people still ask about them all the time, so I still use them to "witness" when I'm in the mood, just not for jeebus ;)

After the "It is finished" tat, you could get a new tat of a girl smoking a cigarette with a satisfied look on her face. :)

• Like 1

After mulling this over for a bit, I came up with this - not a simple one-word answer, but the truest answer I have at present:

"I was raised a Christian Person. I became a Thinking Christian Person. I am now a Thinking Person."

Thoughts?

Yeah, I've been thinking it over myself the last few days.

What does it say about atheists if we are constantly trying to avoid the word atheist? To me, it sounds as though we are confirming all those negative connotations religious people already have about us. Almost like atheist apologetics or something. I don't think having all these different terms will help anything, but bring more confusion and possibly bring further bad connotations and assumptions. Re-labelling ourselves doesn't confront the stereotypes or the issues. It's almost like saying we are not proud to be atheists. Like we are ashamed of what we are and are desperately trying to avoid anyone knowing the truth of our actual position.

As for saying that you were raised a christian person and are now a thinking person... Well, I'd be insulted if I was a christian and someone said that to me. The implication is that christians do not think. At all. About anything. And personally, I think I'd find that implication more insulting than someone telling me they were an atheist. I think you might shut down more dialogue with that phrase, if dialogue is what you are after.

Guest Valk0010

In safe company, if religion comes up I just say, I don't believe in any particular religion. That really fits alot better then, atheist. Because for all practical considerations, the concept of atheism is not a big part of my life.

• Like 1

just started reading God is Not Great and Hitch said that apparently Richard Dawkins wants atheists to be called 'brights'.

Ok.

just started reading God is Not Great and Hitch said that apparently Richard Dawkins wants atheists to be called 'brights'.

Ok.

Yah....that idea kind of died on the vine...

Ok.

Dawkins is so sweet. I think he's just adorable when he says things like that.

The word atheist runs with so many built in connotations. The A implies either Apathy or Anti to the unschooled theist. Godless atheist is an oxymoron as that would be like saying I am a black negro.

For them the concept of rejecting a god belief is soooo frightening and the mere fact talking with you is like taking to the taking snake or his nemesis teh debbul.

Irreligious is bad English and conveys the same aspect as the word irrelevant.

Actually there is a cool proper name of Godfrey which is pronounced god free, maybe we can do a workaround that?

I only once verbalised my beliefs in public as an atheist and it had dire consequences. I was simply asked what church I attend and I should have simply said none. Most xians here in SA are godless heathen like me and attend church only for ceremonies.

I suppose Atheist is still more appropriate than an exdumbfuckistanist GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

just started reading God is Not Great

Its an excellent book isnt it! Really fantastic.

I know for me it is hard to own the term "atheist", but in the end, since I do not believe in anything divine, that is what I am. In the end, I think we need to own the term, for that is what we are.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

jblue, as I pointed out in a message to you on Facebook, while I agree with much of what your friend is saying and I enjoy what he writes, I have heard the term "humanism" (usually used in the phrase "humanist philosophy") used as a pejorative from the pulpit for decades. I don't know if the word "humanist" is as marketable as he would like to think it is, particularly among the hard core evangelical set.

You're right. Gloria Steinem whom I heard speak at the recent humanist convention in New Orleans, told of going to some event to speak many years ago, and outside. the Christians were picketing with signs that said "Gloria Steinem is a humanist!" as though that were decidedly a bad thing.

The second half of the problem are the people who DON'T know what a humanist is - and that's most people. Again and again while I was in New Orleans (I stayed for a couple weeks to play tourist) I had the following conversation:

Me: I'm in town for the Humanist Convention

Them: Oh. What's a humanist?

Me: Well do you know what an atheist is?

Them: Sure

Me: A humanist is essentially an atheist, only the emphasis is not on what they don't believe in (theism) but on what they do believe in (humanity)

Them: Oh ok. So you're an atheist.

I don't know, maybe in time we can reclaim a word, as the GLBT has done with "gay", but for now, it's just a lot easier for me to say "I'm an atheist." Less explaining to do.

I only once verbalised my beliefs in public as an atheist and it had dire consequences. I was simply asked what church I attend and I should have simply said none.

Ha! That happened to me on the Subway in DC - AFTER I'd told the woman I was an atheist. She was so flustered with the concept that she couldn't make sense of it. Kept saying stuff like "So where do you go to worship?" and "So you guys don't have a church of any kind?" lol

I think its different for people in different situations. While I agree that avoiding the phrase may seem counter productive, to those of us who are still making our way out of the religious circles its more complicated. I always thought that once my wife knew, everybody else didnt matter. My wife has not yet come to terms with it so I owe her that much respect before I go shouting from rooftops. If I were talking to people I didnt know well I would gladly use atheist to describe myself once my wife was comfortable with the idea. While I can't say firsthand, I can only imagine that I would view this situation differently if I became an atheist at age 18 or ealier in life or perhaps if I had been a skeptic or atheist all my life.

For people that have been in church all their lives and have "spiritually abandoned" their spouse, its not as simple to go out guns-a-blazin just because you all of a sudden changed your mind. We all know this is a personal journey no one goes on it with you. So coming out may come across as shocking and out of nowhere. To people that really went to church more often than easter and christmas, It seems a little insensitive to just htrow it around now to describe themselves all of a sudden. Though I wasnt a pastor, everything I did in life was because of religion, i had an invitation to accept christ at my wedding, yes my wedding. I dedicated my kids to the church. It was important to me and it was my main goal in life. My support system is 95% xian. I have built up a life and support system based on the idea of god and its intimidating thinking of how to navigate out of it on your own. Well, I do have a dell computer that helps a little bit with that issue but we all know its not the same thing. Is it really comforting push buttons on a keyboard and send them of into space? Who reads it and when? You can't look into anybody's face. THere are other things important in life other than "being true to yourself". Though I would rank that high I would also include "treating others with kindness". if I know my wife cries her eyes out when I talk about my disbelief why in the hell would i run around the house yelling ATHEIST.

Society has already run the word Atheist into the dirt but as a former xian church really ran the name in the dirt to where at least people that went to my church would view me completely different. Which I dont really care about because I don't live with them or see them often enough to care about their opinion.

but for these reasons, in my life I do not use the word when describing myself.

I think its different for people in different situations. While I agree that avoiding the phrase may seem counter productive, to those of us who are still making our way out of the religious circles its more complicated. I always thought that once my wife knew, everybody else didnt matter. My wife has not yet come to terms with it so I owe her that much respect before I go shouting from rooftops. If I were talking to people I didnt know well I would gladly use atheist to describe myself once my wife was comfortable with the idea. While I can't say firsthand, I can only imagine that I would view this situation differently if I became an atheist at age 18 or ealier in life or perhaps if I had been a skeptic or atheist all my life.

For people that have been in church all their lives and have "spiritually abandoned" their spouse, its not as simple to go out guns-a-blazin just because you all of a sudden changed your mind. We all know this is a personal journey no one goes on it with you. So coming out may come across as shocking and out of nowhere. To people that really went to church more often than easter and christmas, It seems a little insensitive to just htrow it around now to describe themselves all of a sudden. Though I wasnt a pastor, everything I did in life was because of religion, i had an invitation to accept christ at my wedding, yes my wedding. I dedicated my kids to the church. It was important to me and it was my main goal in life. My support system is 95% xian. I have built up a life and support system based on the idea of god and its intimidating thinking of how to navigate out of it on your own. Well, I do have a dell computer that helps a little bit with that issue but we all know its not the same thing. Is it really comforting push buttons on a keyboard and send them of into space? Who reads it and when? You can't look into anybody's face. THere are other things important in life other than "being true to yourself". Though I would rank that high I would also include "treating others with kindness". if I know my wife cries her eyes out when I talk about my disbelief why in the hell would i run around the house yelling ATHEIST.

Society has already run the word Atheist into the dirt but as a former xian church really ran the name in the dirt to where at least people that went to my church would view me completely different. Which I dont really care about because I don't live with them or see them often enough to care about their opinion.

but for these reasons, in my life I do not use the word when describing myself.

Well said RR. I was lucky enough to de-convert with my wife (2honest). What we found is that our 95% of our xian friends abandoned us before we considering "coming out" as non-believers. These seemingly deep friendships shockingly collapsed the moment we walked out the door of the church. Since we have now come out publicly, 4% of the remaining 5% have dropped us.

So, you're "damned" either way. That's why I made the personal decision to just say what I am now. I still try to be sensitive and not intentional insult anyone's faith, but anything I say is insulting now because I'm an evil atheist.

• Like 2

Maybe all non theists should just start calling ourselves "kittens". Nobody hates a kitten right?

Don't explain what it means to a theist though.

Oh, and we all have to get cat tats.

I think all cat-loving-people are atheists and some just don't know it yet. To love a cat is to admire freethinking that's fer sure.

I'm up with the cat tat. :)

• Like 2

Grand slam.

I still think agnostic is the most PC way to go, but it almost invites conversion attempts.

Agree....Agnostic implies to the evangelical that there is still hope...Athiesm for most christians is scary and stand-offish.