Photo

Latest Tbn Scandal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 MrsRoper

MrsRoper

Apostate

• 810 posts
  • Interests:pop culture, tv, religion, politics, food, mid-century modern design
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :howard stern, frank lloyd wright, wegmans

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

One granddaughter is sueing them for misappropriating funds and now this: http://jezebel.com/5...g-up-child-rape

Edited by DeanMen, 29 June 2012 - 08:03 AM.

#2 LivingLife

LivingLife

Meet Harvey, my imaginary friend...

• 2,553 posts
  • Interests:Discussing religion with woo woos I suppose discussions not the word rather showing them teh errorz ov their wayz
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :FSM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:40 AM

I am sure they will talk this away as an attack by satan on their beloved ministry... *barf*
Cold is the lack of heat, darkness is the lack of light, atheism is the lack of ignorance

#3 Burnedout

Burnedout

Committee of Libertarians Chief Pain in the Ass

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 23,670 posts
  • Interests:Politics ( I HATE HIGH TAXES!!!), Just chilling, traveling. A member of the Joe Stack Memorial Fan Club. FUCK PEACE,....GIVE ME FREEDOM!!! I want ALL my meals to have the largest carbon footprint possible.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Too heavy to think about for now

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

Ahhhh....I just remember the days of Jim and Tammy Baker.........Posted Image
Pinochet did it right!

#4 FeelHappy

FeelHappy

Skeptic

• 623 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Religion, Philosophy, History
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Non Theist

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Sounds like the Paul Crouch gay scandal from a few years ago. Why anyone would still give them money I don't understand (well actually I do).

#5 MrsRoper

MrsRoper

Apostate

• 810 posts
  • Interests:pop culture, tv, religion, politics, food, mid-century modern design
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :howard stern, frank lloyd wright, wegmans

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

I am sure they will talk this away as an attack by satan on their beloved ministry... *barf*

You got that right!

#6 MrsRoper

MrsRoper

Apostate

• 810 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

Sounds like the Paul Crouch gay scandal from a few years ago. Why anyone would still give them money I don't understand (well actually I do).

Reminds me, I need to block that channel. Don't want my kids accidentally coming across it. LOL

#7 LivingLife

LivingLife

• 2,553 posts
  • Interests:Discussing religion with woo woos I suppose discussions not the word rather showing them teh errorz ov their wayz

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

I cancelled my satellite subs. they have various bouquets and ALL of them include TBN. Asked them for a personalised bouquet of about 9 channels I actually watched and they said no. Really do not miss it.
Cold is the lack of heat, darkness is the lack of light, atheism is the lack of ignorance

#8 MrsRoper

MrsRoper

Apostate

• 810 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

I cancelled my satellite subs. they have various bouquets and ALL of them include TBN. Asked them for a personalised bouquet of about 9 channels I actually watched and they said no. Really do not miss it.

That's because you're not an addict. I still watch too much tv.

#9 Vigile

Vigile

Fully Human

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 23,766 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Nebbiolo, devushki and Kerouac.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

I believe a lot of it is fraud not protected by speech and religious protection. No one yet has the balls to go after it though.

People who give them money are like my best friend's poor Mexican grandmother who couldn't leave the house due to health issues and who would send part of her SS check to TBN because they appealed to her emotional needs. The nation's attorney generals are failing at their duty to protect helpless people like this sweet old lady.
It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
-Voltaire

#10 MrsRoper

MrsRoper

Apostate

• 810 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

I believe a lot of it is fraud not protected by speech and religious protection. No one yet has the balls to go after it though.

People who give them money are like my best friend's poor Mexican grandmother who couldn't leave the house due to health issues and who would send part of her SS check to TBN because they appealed to her emotional needs. The nation's attorney generals are failing at their duty to protect helpless people like this sweet old lady.

There is a good watch list out their that ranks these ministries, but I bet reading it still wouldn't stop some people.

#11 Adam5

Adam5

Apostate

• 789 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Me too. Its a difficult habit to break!!!

#12 MrsRoper

MrsRoper

Apostate

• 810 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

Me too. Its a difficult habit to break!!!

Especially now that there are so many well written shows with long term character development. TV is better than most movies Hollywood puts out.

#13 Vigile

Vigile

Fully Human

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 23,766 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

There is a good watch list out their that ranks these ministries, but I bet reading it still wouldn't stop some people.

Most who are vulnerable wouldn't even know the list exists and if they did, they would be convinced it's a trick of Satan.

I believe it's legal fraud when you tell these people they will be rewarded if they give.
It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
-Voltaire

#14 MrsRoper

MrsRoper

Apostate

• 810 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Most who are vulnerable wouldn't even know the list exists and if they did, they would be convinced it's a trick of Satan.

I believe it's legal fraud when you tell these people they will be rewarded if they give.

My Mom is afraid she won't be able to afford her lifestyle if she retires. She's been tithing net for almost 20 years, it's part of her religious addiction. I think her pastor is completely immoral. He tells them they'll all be financially blessed for giving to the church. They built a ridiculous 40,000 sq building and he lives like a king. Oh, and you can't be a "member" if you don't tithe.

#15 LivingLife

LivingLife

• 2,553 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

Question.

Do the states really give you a tax write off for tithes? If so, the charity of the churches really should be under scrutiny. I have no effing clue what TBN does with its money but that lavish ranch hardly constitutes a charity unless the Couch's are the beneficiaries.

We get a write off for charity but it is a fixed amount and small, churches do not qualify.

Businesses however can wangle it as it merely comes down to a donation.

#16 MrsRoper

MrsRoper

Apostate

• 810 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

Question.

Do the states really give you a tax write off for tithes? If so, the charity of the churches really should be under scrutiny. I have no effing clue what TBN does with its money but that lavish ranch hardly constitutes a charity unless the Couch's are the beneficiaries.

We get a write off for charity but it is a fixed amount and small, churches do not qualify.

Yes, you can write off church donations on your taxes. And churches pay zero taxes on donations or property. It's scandalous.

FYI the Crouches are very adept at working the system. They make welfare fraud look like child's play. They purchase houses all over the country and label them "pastorates.". They do it for family & staff. They are mafiaesque criminals for Jeebus.

Edited by DeanMen, 29 June 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#17 Vigile

Vigile

Fully Human

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 23,766 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

If so, the charity of the churches really should be under scrutiny.

The separation clause gives them a lot of free reign here. There is no church regulating organization and creating one would likely be unconstitutional. I personally would be opposed to such an animal.

However, they should still be liable for tort claims and even criminal claims, but these for whatever reason are few and far between.
-Voltaire

#18 ConureDelSol

ConureDelSol

Ornithomancer

• 1,320 posts
  • Interests:Computers, animals (mostly birds), gaming, technology in general, Sci-Fi (Star Trek, Doctor Who, etc.)
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Secular Humanist, Atheist

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

Question.

We don't get tax write-offs for tithes, but we do for anything we donate to them. My dad tends to spend his own damn money on buying things for the church and then makes sure to put it in as a write-off.
"Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings." - Salvador Dali

#19 Vigile

Vigile

Fully Human

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 23,766 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

Question.

We don't get tax write-offs for tithes, but we do for anything we donate to them. My dad tends to spend his own damn money on buying things for the church and then makes sure to put it in as a write-off.

http://www.usatoday....cutellaro_x.htm

Q: Can I claim or itemize tithing contributions to my church? If so, where do you put them on the form?
Answer by AICPA member Joseph Scutellaro: You can claim tithing contributions to your church as an itemized deduction on IRS form 1040 schedule A. However, to get any tax benefit, those contributions plus all other itemized deductions must exceed the standard deduction the IRS gives everyone. The standard deduction for 2006 generally ranges from $5,150 for single taxpayers and those who are married but filing separately to $10,300 for taxpayers who are married and filing jointly. The standard deduction is more if you are 65 or older, blind, or a single head of household.
-Voltaire

#20 LivingLife

LivingLife

• 2,553 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the replies. Seems until you do away with this write off, you are pretty much stuck with the tards. We never had anything like that hence our biggest megachurch is no bigger than say Rod Parsley's one and we only have two, one in Johannesburg and one in Pretoria. Both linked to the USA.

In retrospect, the tithe is really not as such if you can write it off or part thereof.

Still it is a brilliant scam.

What about all those hearings into the likes of Benny Hinn and few others?

Would jesus fly coach or have his own plane?

Seems like the evangelicals simply took a page out of the RCC playbook.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users