Latest Tbn Scandal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#21 Vigile

Vigile

Fully Human

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 24,830 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Nebbiolo, devushki and Kerouac.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

I doubt the tax write off has much to do with it. Most who send money probably just claim the standard deduction to begin with and can't use the write off. People give to the church because they are suckered into doing so, not because they get a tax deduction.
It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
-Voltaire

Support Ex-C

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation using the "Donate" button above, or click here to choose one of the recurrent patron options.

#22 LivingLife

LivingLife

Meet Harvey, my imaginary friend...

• 2,553 posts
  • Interests:Discussing religion with woo woos I suppose discussions not the word rather showing them teh errorz ov their wayz
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :FSM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

I vaguely remember one TBN church pastor using this tax aspect to encourage folk to give and pretty much summarised as the gubment gonna take it anyway, might as well give it to us.

In my wooish days I tithed direct out of the business and the book keeper was able to field it as a donation. I ended up paying very little tax b/c of this. I did not expect it to be written off but I did not complain.
Cold is the lack of heat, darkness is the lack of light, atheism is the lack of ignorance

#23 Vigile

Vigile

Fully Human

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 24,830 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Nebbiolo, devushki and Kerouac.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

IRS Standard deduction table:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=255120,00.html

Single $5,800
Married Filing Jointly $11,600
Head of Household $8,500
Married Filing Separately $5,800
Qualifying Widow(er) $11,600

That means you would have to have at least this many write offs, including tithes in order to deduct your tithes. If you have less, you just take the standard deduction. Many people can deduct more, but your typical TBN watcher probably isn't among this group that can claim more than standard. Just my guess based on observation.
It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
-Voltaire

#24 FeelHappy

FeelHappy

Skeptic

• 623 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Religion, Philosophy, History
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Non Theist

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

Sounds like the Paul Crouch gay scandal from a few years ago. Why anyone would still give them money I don't understand (well actually I do).

I believe a lot of it is fraud not protected by speech and religious protection. No one yet has the balls to go after it though.

People who give them money are like my best friend's poor Mexican grandmother who couldn't leave the house due to health issues and who would send part of her SS check to TBN because they appealed to her emotional needs. The nation's attorney generals are failing at their duty to protect helpless people like this sweet old lady.

I know too much about this, my wheelchair bound grandparents having no way to work and living off of social security always found a way to give and gave to TBN always believing that god would one day reward them, its utter crap, and I'm so glad to be out of that cult. I abhor the prosperity gospel.

#25 mwc

mwc

Sarcastic? Me?

• 8,631 posts
  • Interests:Things and stuff
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :meh

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Would jesus fly coach or have his own plane?

Jesus flew solo without a plane.

mwc

Edited by mwc, 29 June 2012 - 04:31 PM.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think they'll hate you. - Don Marquis

PLEASE NOTE: Just because I speak as if YHWH/jesus exist does not mean they do. It's simply for the sake of the argument.

#26 MrsRoper

MrsRoper

Apostate

• 810 posts
  • Interests:pop culture, tv, religion, politics, food, mid-century modern design
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :howard stern, frank lloyd wright, wegmans

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

mwc

I believe Jesus flew on a dragon.

#27 mcdaddy

mcdaddy

Original Founder of UYC - dont let the biters fool you.

• 3,190 posts
  • Interests:reading, football, my 2 daughters, the universe, ultimate truth
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :meh

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

mwc

I believe Jesus flew on a dragon.

Jesus was one fly mofo. Some would say, pterodactyl fly.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

#28 jensjam

jensjam

Thinker

• 130 posts
  • Interests:music writting reading watching TV
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Not sure

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

Confession time: I at one time worked for a company-telemarketing company that took calls for TBN network especially their "Prayer-a-thon". I am ashamed I took those calls after the fact because all they cared about was getting the money. They would encourage people to "Sow a Seed" of $1000.00 that people could give them monthly and we where forced to ask for 2 credit card payments and two check by phones Electronic check before sending them a pledge card.

That place is such a scam and should be shut down. To me it is one thing for a person who is religious minded to give because they want to BUT when you have a "CORPORATION" --Yes, I look at these "CHURCHES" and TV stations is nothing more than a Corporate business that perhaps is the most evil considering they are able to use Tax exempt clauses that "REAL" religion gets.

They all need to go to jail.

#29 FeelHappy

FeelHappy

Skeptic

• 623 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Religion, Philosophy, History
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Non Theist

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

In all honesty TBN was the start of my apostasy, I watched it a bunch at first but then started to question the morality of asking for this and that from old women....

but before that I almost sent Benny Hinn my entire tax return one year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users