Goodbye Jesus

What Killed Your Faith For Good?

Lilith666

Coming up with a conundrum, all on my own.

If Hell exists and God is indeed all loving and all knowing, how could he create somebody destined for Hell?

And that right there killed my faith. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The death of my faith was a rather gradual process. But it was brought about by a few major contributing factors:

1. The efficacy of prayer. It just doesn't work.
2. The judgmental attitudes of Christians.
3. The constant guilt of sin and threats of going to hell.
4. The claim that God is loving and in control of our world, but suffering and evil still go on.
5. The false claim that God will fix our lives if we just get saved.

6. The fact that most of Christianity is about escaping our world instead of saving it.
7. The irrational, immoral, and superstitious teaching in the bible concerning God, Jesus, humanity, and the state of our world.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, I remember when I realized I no longer believed in god.

First it was questioning the beliefs and trying to find answers.  I stayed in christianity for several years trying to ask questions.  No one wanted to discuss my questions, not even any pastor.  As I studied on my own to find answers, what I found continued to break apart my beliefs, until they disintegrated.  I went from fundamental to progressive christianity.  in the end I was trying to determine if christianity was credible.  I wanted it to be credible.

The end was something I never expected,  my life was verbally threatened by another member.  He made sure I knew he was serious but when I brought it forward to the pastor, it was brushed off as if it was not real, that this person just said it but didn't mean it.  When it was evident that not only did my pastor and other members of that church but my other friends that went to other churches brushed it off, many saying, there is always conflict in church you just get used to it.  One person even told me that the sooner I accepted the conflict the more at peace I will be.  This was not the first time this particular church did not address a significant issue, but brushed it away.  

So, I left.  I left, knowing for certain, christianity is unsafe, unhealthy and not credible.  

It came down to both, no one wanted to talk about scripture and deal with questions and the threat to my life.  I went from trying to find another church, to not going to church, to be coming agnostic, to finally realizing, in December, that I did not believe in god and was an atheist.  If there is such a god that accepts this type of behavior (and it is in the bible), I want nothing to do with this god.

Dealing with conflict is different than having your life threatened, even verbally threatened.  There is conflict in life, but to accept conflict that threatens someones life is not acceptable.

• Like 1

Inconsistencies in the Bible was a pretty big motivator. I, like many others here, was actually trying to strengthen our "faith" but found conflicting accounts almost everywhere i looked. This made me dig deeper into the bibles origins and found more of the same. Couple that with not having any solid proof of an omni- this/that/the other, was the nail in the coffin.

Look up Judges 1:19 for instance. "The LORD was with the men of Judah. They took possession of the hill country, but they were unable to drive the people from the plains, because they had chariots fitted with iron."

Would you consider "The Lord" Omnipotent after reading that? I don't, so that fueled me to look for more and i found plenty.

Back when Thumbelina was on here, she proved that the Israelites failed against the chariots because of their lack of faith.  Though the text doesn't say that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.