• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 SilentLoner

SilentLoner

Otaku

• Atheist
  • 6,352 posts
  • Interests:The world outside.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No gods. Just a solitary Semi-Pagan Athiest

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

This looks so awesome Posted Image

I think every woman in our culture is a feminist. They may refuse to articulate it, but if you were to take any woman back 40 years and say, 'Is this a world you want to live in?' They would say, 'No.' - Helen Mirren

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

#2 Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger

Mechanical Messiah

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 10,019 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :FSM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

I'll definitely watch it. But really I wish they'd go back to the 60's space-age look and the cheesy special effects. It's part of the charm of Star Trek.

#3 SilentLoner

SilentLoner

Otaku

• Atheist
  • 6,352 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No gods. Just a solitary Semi-Pagan Athiest

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

The Japanese version of the trailer has an extra 12 seconds of footage at the end - very reminiscent of Khan...

I think every woman in our culture is a feminist. They may refuse to articulate it, but if you were to take any woman back 40 years and say, 'Is this a world you want to live in?' They would say, 'No.' - Helen Mirren

#4 mymistake

mymistake

might be the Antichrist

• 10,253 posts
  • Interests:family, support, meditation, peace of mind, moving on as forgiveness, deprograming, laughing at the Bible
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :"I enjoy mythology but I'm not religious about it"

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Well naturally they have to reboot the best Star Trek film ever made. If people keep buying tickets Hollywood will keep rebooting them all.

/\/\.  /\/\.

There's an elegant solution to most Bible problems.  The Bible is the word of ignorant men who couldn't agree with each other.

#5 DrNo

DrNo

Skeptic

• 451 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Graphic Novels, fitness, history, Mumford & Sons, nature, good movies, Arrested Development, Game of Thrones, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Rome
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Nope.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

It's probably not a reboot of Wrath of Kahn. More likely it is a reinterpretation of the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before," set in this new timeline. Here's an analysis: http://www.ign.com/a...arkness-trailer

I think that last shot of the Japanese trailer is more likely an homage to Wrath of Kahn, but there's no way they're killing off Spock already in the new timeline.

Ubi dubium ibi liberatas.

#6 SilentLoner

SilentLoner

Otaku

• Atheist
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

From the comment section on YouTube:

"Everyone that complains "this isn't real Star Trek," I am coming to your house to tie you up and make you watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture over and over until you scream for mercy. Then I'm making you watch Star Trek V: The Final Frontier until your brain begins melting. Then I'm making you watch that episode of TNG where Picard sits on a rock and shames the poopy tar alien that ate Tasha Yar.
Real Trek is what you make of it. I just hope this is a good story told well."

So true.

Edited by SilentLoner, 08 December 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#7 mymistake

mymistake

might be the Antichrist

• 10,253 posts
  • Interests:family, support, meditation, peace of mind, moving on as forgiveness, deprograming, laughing at the Bible
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :"I enjoy mythology but I'm not religious about it"

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

From the comment section on YouTube:

"Everyone that complains "this isn't real Star Trek," I am coming to your house to tie you up and make you watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture over and over until you scream for mercy. Then I'm making you watch Star Trek V: The Final Frontier until your brain begins melting. Then I'm making you watch that episode of TNG where Picard sits on a rock and shames the poopy tar alien that ate Tasha Yar.
Real Trek is what you make of it. I just hope this is a good story told well."

So true.

?????? and ?

Masks was way worse than Skin fo Evil. However that author was right about V GER. V GER was the worst Trek ever.

Edit: He is also right about Final Frontier.
Posted Image

Edited by mymistake, 08 December 2012 - 12:21 PM.

/\/\.  /\/\.

There's an elegant solution to most Bible problems.  The Bible is the word of ignorant men who couldn't agree with each other.

#8 Deva

Deva

Heathen

• 8,429 posts
  • Interests:Birding, art, reading, keeping salamanders, reptiles, and plants, cooking, and cultivating a good heart.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :None

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

To my mind these movies like the Vger thing and the other crummy movies (with a couple exceptions) with the original cast were NOT really Star Trek. You cannot bring back the 60s. You cannot bring back the original Star Trek, the same way you cannot bring back Dark Shadows. It was a product of its times.

Star Trek the Next Generation was successful, because of the characters, which were not the original characters or really based upon any of them.

Today, how do you young people view the 60s show who were not around when it came out?

That being said, even though this new movie is not the original, I will watch it. It is probably pretty good entertainment.
“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.”― Albert Camus "Using no way as way,having no limitation as limitation" - Bruce Lee

#9 Endemoniada

Endemoniada

Strong Minded

• 283 posts
  • Interests:SF/fantasy books and movies, anime, comic books, music, board games, Magic: The Gathering, video games, The Lord of the Rings, role-playing games, &c.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :the Oxford comma

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

Today, how do you young people view the 60s show who were not around when it came out?

I like it, though I've only seen about a dozen episodes. But since I didn't grow up in the sixties and watch when it first aired, I sometimes feel like I'm missing something that's keeping me from understanding Star Trek as the original fans did. But I don't think any of that keeps from enjoying it. Regarding the new movie, it seems interesting and I would like to see it once I've seen more TOS and at least a few of the original movies, as well as the more recent one, which I have not seen.

In nomine Dei nostri Satanas Luciferi excelsi.
The Net is vast and infinite.
Morgan Freeman Morgan Freeman. Morgan Freeman. Morgan Freeman Morgan Freeman Morgan Freeman. Morgan Freeman.

#10 Akheia

Akheia

Princess of Gemworld

• 3,185 posts
  • Interests:Baking, sewing, writing, tabletop gaming, Sims 3, history
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Polytheism/deism

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Say what you want, but that guy fuckin' NAILED Khan's personality and voice. I never thought they'd ever find a young actor who could do that. I'll pay money to watch this movie just because I am suddenly completely crushing on Benewhozit Cumberthingie.

“Nothing is so easy as to deceive one’s self; for what we wish, we readily believe.” – Demosthenes

#11 Thought2Much

Thought2Much

Rational Materialist Skeptic

• 2,095 posts
  • Interests:Science (especially astronomy), science fiction, chess
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Ain't nobody got time for that!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

I'm crushing on Benedict Cumberbach. And I'm a straight male. Okay, so I could probably never bring myself to make out or have sex with him, but I'd try to date him.

What follows is the sum total of what Jesus had to say about homosexuality:

#12 SilentLoner

SilentLoner

Otaku

• Atheist
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

New trailer guys:

#13 falemon

falemon

Apostate

• 850 posts
  • Interests:reading/writing, programming, science, philosophy, neuro science, quantum physics, music, art, creativity, love, dance
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :The quantum anti-god!!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

JJ Abrams like a God of film making, I believe tongue.png

#14 bornagainathiest

bornagainathiest

kcopS

• 3,124 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, Spelunkering, Micro-Breweries, Steven Erikson, the Ring Cycle (not Wagner, the other one), StarFleet Battles, D.B.A. (Dead Boring Armies) and D.B.M. (Dead Boring Maneuvers) and SETI.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Beer. Not just for breakfast - anytime!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Someone's got the hots for Benedict Cumberbatch, eh?

So guess who's also voicing Smaug the Fire-Golden and the Necromancer (aka, Sauron, the Dark Lord)...?

http://www.guardian....he-hobbit-smaug

Thanks,

BAA.

#15 Akheia

Akheia

Princess of Gemworld

• 3,185 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

NOOOOOOOOOO

BAA WHAT ARE YOU DOIN

BAA STAHHHP

“Nothing is so easy as to deceive one’s self; for what we wish, we readily believe.” – Demosthenes

#16 alpha centauri

alpha centauri

Strong Minded

• 247 posts
  • Interests:Family, history, travel, music, science (fiction & fact)
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :free will (without fear of hell)

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

I'm definitely looking forward to this movie. The 2009 Star Trek was the first movie my wife and I saw together at the theater.

She's always been a huge Trek fan and likes The Next Generation best. I really enjoyed the Enterprise series with Scott Bakula as Kirk's predecessor.

I'm not sure how much Star Trek Into Darkness will reflect a Wrath of Khan scenario, but the Wrath of Khan was a fantastic breath of fresh air after that insomnia-curing Star Trek the Motion picture movie. I remember being bored and wanting to go to sleep when I saw that in the theater as a child.

"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness ... (of the Bible) it would be more consistent that we called it the word of a demon than the Word of God."
— Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason (1794)

#17 Akheia

Akheia

Princess of Gemworld

• 3,185 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I love Enterprise! I still have a bunch of eps on VHS. Too bad I no longer have a VCR that can play the cassettes. Speaking of old ST, EdwardRHamilton has a bunch of old SciFi movies on sale right now, btw. Mostly it's old Battlestar Galactica, new BG, and Caprica stuff, but if you have an old affection for Tekwars, you're in business. 3rd Rock from the Sun, too, which is one of my favorite series.

I just got done watching "Sherlock" on Netflix and am completely desolate because Season 3 doesn't exist yet apparently. FUCKERS. See, this is why I generally don't get into a series till it's long over. How dare they cliffhanger me like that? FUCKERS TWICE. Benedict is now one of my favorite actors. Ever. The blond guy playing Watson rocks too, but BENEDICT. At least I'll get my fix when the Khan thingie comes out.

#18 ShackledNoMore

ShackledNoMore

Uber Skeptic

• ★ Gold Patron ★
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Yes
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

I really don't see any need for them to reboot either Khan or Mitchell.  Now that Abrams brilliantly rebooted the franchise, I hope he doesn't feel the need to resurrect the previous Star Trek Universe.

Christianity: The belief that some cosmic Jewish Zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

#19 ShackledNoMore

ShackledNoMore

Uber Skeptic

• ★ Gold Patron ★
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Yes
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

I can't speak for them, but the Original Series was at once a product of its times and timeless.  In 2012 the details may seem dated, we may have made some progress and face other different problems or different bigots, but underlying messages on civil rights, war, religion, racial and gender equality, and that a better world is ours to build are still relevant.

Christianity: The belief that some cosmic Jewish Zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

#20 Deva

Deva

Heathen

• 8,429 posts
  • Interests:Birding, art, reading, keeping salamanders, reptiles, and plants, cooking, and cultivating a good heart.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :None

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Despite what I said earlier, I will judge the new movie on its merits alone, as I did the Dark Shadows movie with Johnnie Depp.  There is no way it can be the original series. 

That said, no one beats James T. Kirk!

“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.”― Albert Camus "Using no way as way,having no limitation as limitation" - Bruce Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users