Goodbye Jesus

What Kind Of Pantheist Are You?

Deva

Test to find out what kind of pagan, pantheist or deist you are:

http://www.selectsmart.com/plus/select.php?url=Pantheists

I am 100% idealistic pantheist.  Now I have to find out what that is.

My complete results:

1.  Idealist Pantheism (100%)

2.  Literal Paganism/New Age/Animism (98%)

3.  Agnosticism (96%)

4.  Deism (85%)

5.  Dualist Pantheism (64%)

6.  Panentheism (59%)

7.  Atheism/Secular Humanism (57%)

8.  Regular Monotheism (55%)

9.  Naturalistic Pantheism (50%)

Idealistic pantheism Yahoo answers:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110307130403AAYaKY8

Monist idealist Pantheism or Monistic Idealism holds that there is only one type of substance, and that substance is mental or spiritual. Some versions hold that the ultimate reality consists of a single cosmic consciousness. This is sometimes referred to as Spiritual Naturalism. This version is common in Hindu philosophies and Consciousness-Only schools of Buddhism, as well as in some New Age writers such as Deepak Chopra. This is distinguished from pandeism in that pandeism asserts that the whole of reality was at some time sentient.

Here's mine:

1. Naturalistic Pantheism (100%)
  2. Atheism / Secular Humanism (86%) 
  3. Agnosticism (77%)
  4. Deism (72%)
  5. Dualist Pantheism (72%)
  6. Idealist Pantheism (63% 
  7. Literal Paganism / New Age / Animism (59%)
  8. Panentheism (59%) 
  9. Regular Monotheism (50%)

Hmmm.... interesting, but I'm not to surprised by the results!

1. 100% agnostic

2. 80% atheist

When it asked what I thought I would be I put check mark under 'agnostic'. I guess I really do go by that saying 'know thyself'. LOL

I think at the end of the quiz there is a ranking of the most common to the least common results.  I thought that was interesting too.

#1 26.3% graph.jpg     Naturalistic Pantheism

#2 17.4% graph.jpg     Dualist Pantheism

#3 14.5% graph.jpg     Agnosticism

#4 14.4% graph.jpg     Atheism / Secular Humanism

#5 11.4% graph.jpg     Literal Paganism / New Age / Animism

#6 6.1% graph.jpg     Panentheism

#7 4.1% graph.jpg     Regular Monotheism

#8 3.7% graph.jpg     Idealist Pantheism

#9 2.1% graph.jpg     Deism

I came out as: [top 3]

Agnostic (100%)

Literal (100%)

Idealist (98%)

a month ago I would have been more sure of my answers... and probably had Idealist/Literal at the top

• Super Moderator

Atheism / Secular Humanism (100%) 

Naturalistic Pantheism (80%)

Idealist Pantheism (64%)

Agnosticism (63%) 

Dualist Pantheism (57%)

Deism (52%) 

Regular Monotheism (50%)

Panentheism (47%) 

Literal Paganism / New Age / Animism (23%) 

When it asked what I thought I would be I chose atheism/secular humanism.

Interesting.   I can see and agree with most of my results, especially the top four.  But no way is the "Regular Monotheism (50%)" accurate --  that should be at rock bottom!  I swear, I'm not a closeted monotheist -- or as Thurisaz says  -- morontheist!

Buffetphan: I also thought my rock bottom would be monotheism.  But I was surprised to find that a different form of pantheism was the rock bottom for me.

The questions on the test don't offer appropriate responses for me in over 50% of them.  I couldn't answer accurately so the test would be invalid.  In looking up the types of pantheism as categories to slot you into, it doesn't list dualistic pantheism which would come closer to my views in a sense, but even still not there.  Certainly lumping everything else under "New Age" doesn't work either as that has certain features that are way far afield from the other types of views out there. New Age gets used as a sort of bucket category for the lazy who like easier buckets to call things.  This is the same problem with the test on beliefnet, which I broke as well. 

Here what showed up for me:

1. Atheism/Secular Humanism (100%)

2. Naturalistic Pantheism (79%)

I predicted the Atheism/Secular Humanism correctly.  Can't say I'm surprised by the results!

The questions on the test don't offer appropriate responses for me in over 50% of them.  I couldn't answer accurately so the test would be invalid.  In looking up the types of pantheism as categories to slot you into, it doesn't list dualistic pantheism which would come closer to my views in a sense, but even still not there.  Certainly lumping everything else under "New Age" doesn't work either as that has certain features that are way far afield from the other types of views out there. New Age gets used as a sort of bucket category for the lazy who like easier buckets to call things.  This is the same problem with the test on beliefnet, which I broke as well. 

Actually the test does list "dualist pantheism" which ranked no. 5 on my results. There are not enough questions, and I don't think I would answer with any of the responses on some of them. I just had to pick which one was closest.

I think the beliefnet test is skewed to unitarian as a bucket to put you in.

What interested me about this one was that it distinguished between several different types of pantheism.

This is true.  It's good to understand how people are making these distinctions in pantheism this way, which I suppose doesn't surprise me as traditional pantheism which is monistic meets the West and its various other worldviews. 

Yes, beliefnet liked to at one point call me a Quaker, which of course was weird.  After the last few years when I took it it was even stranger.  I agree there are not enough questions on this test, and when I approximated answers, it skewed the result to something not reflective of my views.  For fun I should add the options I might select to the different questions in this thread. 

That would be fun, Antler. I would like to see you construct a real test for these categories. smile.png

I think I will later, of course the difficult thing is what do you actually call me?  I suppose I could just make up some new category.  smile.png  I think the problem with any sort of category is you make it dualistic by default, it is this and not that.  I can embrace pretty much any way of looking at these things as they are true from a certain perspective.  This is why I think nonduality, in the true sense of the word, works best because it paradoxically embraces any dualistic perspective as well as monistic thought, whereas monism and dualism are mutually exclusive.  Even in how people describe dualistic pantheism, it still views spirit as an object, which I do not.

Antler, I thought you were a panentheist.  No?

I'm finding that term not correct either.  When I look at the transcendent in theistic terms, it is more envisioned in a panenthiest way, which affords a "Spirit in 2nd person" perspective, which I feel has tangible psychological and spiritual benefits.  I may 'talk to God', or pray to God, etc as an act of moving beyond the egoic self, but ultimately God dissolves into myself and myself into the All, which in essence I recognize my Nature as "God".  I am God in the flesh, so to speak.  But this isn't a materialistic monism either.  It's nonduality, where there is the one and the many.  A true panenthiest stays in a dualistic relationship, although, I would say it is a far greater unity than traditional theism. 

I understand AM. All the more reason for you to construct another test.  Make another category. Something like "pure nondualist." I am not kidding,  I would love to see it.  It is way too much of an intellectual hurdle for me to do it, but I think you could. It would be so interesting!

Your top match for Are You Atheist, Agnostic, Pantheist, Deist, Pagan or what?is:
Naturalistic Pantheism

Not a surprise. Im exploring Druidry now. The AODA is a little Zen like in nature. Interesting stuff

*edit added:

I went back and took the test again to post my other listings

Naturalistic Pantheism 100%

Agnosticism 84%

Dualist Pantheism 79%

Literal Paganism/ New Age/ Animism 75%

Deism 66%

Idealist Pantheism 66%

Atheism/ Secular Humanism 60%

Panentheism 50%

Regular Monotheism 30%

I got 100% Naturalistic Pantheism, and high 90s on atheist. I expected to get atheist. So I read about my top category on wikipedia, and followed links to the World Pantheist Movement's website, and discovered that

So what's the difference between Atheism and Pantheism? As far as disbelief in supernatural beings, forces or realms, there is no difference.

Yet after you've reached that initial "no God" answer, all the other important questions in life, all the options for mental and emotional wholeness and social and environmental harmony, remain open.

There are other names for similar approaches, such as religious naturalism or naturalistic paganism. We have gone with Pantheism simply because it's the best known, and has a long pedigree.

http://www.pantheism.net/atheism.htm

So I'd say that's an accurate description of what I believe. I still don't get what's up with using the word "pantheist" though. Isn't an atheist pantheist a bit of a contradiction?

I find it highly amusing that naturalistic pantheism was the 3rd result on my list, after atheism and agnosticism.

I tried to copy and paste but this site wouldn't allow it.

First Idealist Pantheism, last Monotheism.

I think my answers about the Primacy of Consciousness put the Idealist category ahead of Naturalist. Further down the line were Panentheism and Deism. It gave me a 77% for Deism which is strange because I chose against every Deist option on the quiz in favor of God as the universe itself, or a metaphor for the universe.

Josh, I guess I'm glad I am not the only idealist pantheist on this site.  I would say you are probably right that any emphasis on the primacy of consciousness would give this result.

I just shared this survey link with my friends @ http://www.pantheist.net/  to see how their results come out. We have a bing site and also an older yahoo group system that's more active.

edit: So far everyone who took the quiz turned out Idealist Pantheist too.

That was a fun little exercise! Before the test I knew I would come up Pantheist of some sort. Turns out I'm an Idealist Pantheist like a few of you. The test is pretty flimsy in my opinion as often none of the answers available fit closely to my veiws and it is way too broad for such a short questionnaire(..how can I still be 50% monotheistic when I have no belief whatsoever in any personal god?).

I'm still in flux anyway having only been free from christianity for seven months so I have alot more reseach and experience to get through before I find myself comfortably wearing any form of label regarding my 'spiritual' beliefs. Before I was a christian I was heavily into Buddhism and other meditative religions so it has been easy for me to pick up from there, although I am fifteen years older and anti-religious now so I am questioning many Buddhist beliefs. The thought of aligning myself with ANY religion still makes me freak out.

Yeah for Idealist Pantheists!

lol

• Like 1