Photo

"in God We Trust" Taken Off Of New Dollar Coins?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 MissingLink

MissingLink

Strong Minded

• 209 posts
  • Interests:Human and Animal Rights, Education, Science, Secular Humanism, Family, Trashy Novels, Fruity Cocktails....
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Found this in my FB newsfeed this morning.....sigh.......

REFUSE NEW COINS
This simple action will make a strong statement.
Please help do this.. Refuse to accept these when they are
handed to you.
I received one from the Post Office as change and I asked for a
dollar bill instead.
The lady just smiled and said 'way to go' , so she had read
this e -mail.
Please help out..our world is in enough trouble
without this too!!!!!
U.S. Government to Release
New Dollar Coins
You guessed it
'IN GOD WE TRUST'IS GONE from the front and back!!!

If ever there was a reason to boycott something,
THIS IS IT!!!!

DO NOT ACCEPT THE NEW DOLLAR COINS
AS CHANGE

Together we can force them out of circulation..

Please send
to all on
your mailing
list!

68670_10151338614293809_2121691443_n.jpg

If you go to snopes.com, you will find out that "In God We Trust" is on the SIDE of the coin.  Which actually was a little disappointing....I was hoping it wasn't there after all.  Anyway, I just get so tired of people looking for ways to feel persecuted and/or holier than thou.  I did post the link to the snopes.com article  underneath her post, but she already had 5 likes and a share, so I'm sure it will still spread like crazy throughout the internet.

"I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels".       Pearl S. Buck

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"?     Douglas Adams

"Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as important to the child as it is to the caterpillar".    Bradley Millar

#2 falemon

falemon

Apostate

• 850 posts
  • Interests:reading/writing, programming, science, philosophy, neuro science, quantum physics, music, art, creativity, love, dance
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :The quantum anti-god!!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Sometimes I think hell exists ... in chain mails :(

#3 florduh

florduh

Not Right in the Head

• Super Moderator
  • 15,236 posts
  • Interests:Food.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :my doG

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Again? Fucking morons.

Sorry, did I say that out loud?

House: "So, you're a faith healer. Or is that a pejorative? Do you prefer something like "divine health management"?"

#4 Ro-bear

Ro-bear

Fully Human

• 7,829 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :None I know of

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

I used to be so militant I bought a stamp for all my bills that blotted out In God We Trust and replaced it with No Gods No Masters.  Every day I sat down and stamped all my bills.  That got old after a couple of years.

I wanted to ask God for a bike, but I knew God didn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked God for forgiveness.

#5 SilentLoner

SilentLoner

Otaku

• Atheist
  • 6,432 posts
  • Interests:The world outside.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No gods. Just a solitary Semi-Pagan Athiest

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

A guy I know actually blacks out "In god we trust" on all his paper currency with a marker. I got into the habit for a while. 

I think every woman in our culture is a feminist. They may refuse to articulate it, but if you were to take any woman back 40 years and say, 'Is this a world you want to live in?' They would say, 'No.' - Helen Mirren

#6 OpheliaGinger

OpheliaGinger

Proud Fool

• 6,614 posts
  • Interests:ask me
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Jesus Frankenstein

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Replace "God" with any of the other gods like Allah, Brahma, Odin, Zeus, Quetzalcoatl, etc etc.

Edited by OpheliaGinger, 02 January 2013 - 10:30 PM.

Proud Fool

#7 Fuego

Fuego

Infidel

• ♦ Diamond Patron ♦
  • 1,347 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, computer geekery, cooking, science experiments, foreign languages, photography, gemstones
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :communing with nature

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

There will still be believers who will be pissed that it was "relegated" to the side of the coin. They want 12ft high letters of fire.

#8 pandora

pandora

Crazy cat lady

• 3,791 posts
  • Interests:World religions and eastern philosophy, parrots, felines, nature.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Probably not.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

There is actually an early release of these coins that did not have "In God We Trust" printed on the side.  They are highly collectible because it was a mistake.  Methinks a clever manufacturer worker "forgot" to stamp them in the assembly line on a few lots. ;)

#9 Annier

Annier

Thinker

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Art(my own, :D), grandchildren, friends, paganism,
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Pantheist, no single all empowering god.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

Its a real shame about xtians in the US.  It seems they will forget to trust their deity if they are not continually reminded on their money, poor dears.   Must be some sort of brain malfunction, and its so heartless that their government makes them look on the side of the coin.  How will they remember to do that?  They might forget about their deity now.......tsk tsk.wacko.png

#10 Vigile

Vigile

Fully Human

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 25,807 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Nebbiolo, devushki and Kerouac.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

There is actually an early release of these coins that did not have "In God We Trust" printed on the side.  They are highly collectible because it was a mistake.  Methinks a clever manufacturer worker "forgot" to stamp them in the assembly line on a few lots. wink.png

I don't know how that would have happened.  They have guys who create molds that are used to create the press stamps.  I used to be a buyer for the Mint and saw them doing this at the Philly mint.  There is no way something could just be forgotten, unless it's left out of the original mold, but there are so many steps after that step it seems almost impossible for something like the 'in god' phrase to be left out without a bunch of people noticing it. 

It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
-Voltaire

#11 falemon

falemon

Apostate

• 850 posts
  • Interests:reading/writing, programming, science, philosophy, neuro science, quantum physics, music, art, creativity, love, dance

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

I dunno, America seem to be run by the rich corporations so methinks the church bullies the treasury into printing that shit to put fear and guilt on their congregation :(

#12 Vigile

Vigile

Fully Human

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 25,807 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

I dunno, America seem to be run by the rich corporations so methinks the church bullies the treasury into printing that shit to put fear and guilt on their congregation sad.png

Treasury doesn't get to decide.  Congress does.  They passed a pro God bill during the McCarthy era to prove we aren't communists and we're still living with the insanity of it all as it's much harder to get rid of something like this than it is to enact it in the first place.

It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
-Voltaire

#13 falemon

falemon

Apostate

• 850 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

Treasury doesn't get to decide.  Congress does.  They passed a pro God bill during the McCarthy era to prove we aren't communists and we're still living with the insanity of it all as it's much harder to get rid of something like this than it is to enact it in the first place.

Duh! Silly me :D *face palm*

#14 MissingLink

MissingLink

Strong Minded

• 209 posts
  • Interests:Human and Animal Rights, Education, Science, Secular Humanism, Family, Trashy Novels, Fruity Cocktails....
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

I appreciate all the comments!  (And totally agree with the opinions expressed!)  In addition, I think what bothers me the most about stuff like this (and the flaps over Chik-Fil-A and now Hobby Lobby) is that many xtians get so outraged over these petty perceived "attacks" and want to "do something" to show support for their beliefs.  However, I never see posts about their outrage over starving children or injustice and suffering throughout the world with a call to "do something".........!

"I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels".       Pearl S. Buck

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"?     Douglas Adams

"Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as important to the child as it is to the caterpillar".    Bradley Millar

#15 falemon

falemon

Apostate

• 850 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

jwlink, I can't believe you've only made 6 posts, feels like you've been here since forever wink.png

I think christians are just paranoid. Ironic that jews (and I believe even early christians) were anointed with cannabis oil (kanneh bosom), often translated as cinnamon biggrin.png Is that why people always seem to get the munchies at church services :P

Edited by falemon, 03 January 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#16 HereticZero

HereticZero

Idiot Savant

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 6,302 posts
  • Interests:Rocks, writing, home-brewing, gardening, fossils. Being alive.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :I do what my prostate tells me to do.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

In America they scream about god does this and god does that but putting 'in god we trust' on our currency has as much affect on our economy as putting a copy of the Ten Commandments in every court house.

"The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so ...." -- (Jeremiah 5:31)

"CPR beats prayer hands down!"

#17 Guest_Babylonian Dream_*

Guest_Babylonian Dream_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Should it really matter whether it says "In God we trust" or not to them on their coins? Do they put that on their houses in order to live there? No.

#18 Ravenstar

Ravenstar

Humanist

• 3,019 posts
  • Interests:Art, literature, ancient history, mythology, archaeology, etymology, graphics, blogging...
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Truth

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Isn't putting god on money kind of blasphemous? I'm pretty sure the Bible says money belongs to Ceasar and all that.I

don't see it as an especially christian concept..

but what do I know?

http://thinkcoffeemedia.wordpress.com

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. ~ Douglas Adams

#19 Vigile

Vigile

Fully Human

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 25,807 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

We should get super biblical and replace "In God..." with "Filthy Lucre"

-Voltaire

#20 mwc

mwc

Sarcastic? Me?

• 8,863 posts
  • Interests:Things and stuff
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :meh

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

When god looks at one of these coins from heaven he's not going see that phrase and say "They don't trust me anymore" and it will hurt his feelings.  He won't know to check the side.  Who does that?  He's probably not going to want to return since he'll be all mopey.  It will be all our fault.

mwc

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think they'll hate you. - Don Marquis

PLEASE NOTE: Just because I speak as if YHWH/jesus exist does not mean they do. It's simply for the sake of the argument.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users