Goodbye Jesus

Druidry

J.W.

So Im reading about Druidry right..

Im liking what Im seeing- meditation- natural spirituality- astronomy- celebrating the seasons- being tuned into your environment- living in the moment- 

then- multiple gods [insert record screeching here].. Im trying to over look it since I don't believe in that but I can't. I can't. I don't believe in transcendent gods- at all- none- not one- Eh! 

The Arch Druid, says they can be used metaphorically and that they do represent different different forces per say- multiple independent forces in the universe- so I didn't throw the book into the camp fire, because he says that [and its on my kindle] but Im disappointed.

Zen is still reigning supreme- despite the multiple lives carried in some traditions- I don't believe in that either.

I am almost convinced the only spirituality fit for me is the one I will write myself.

Any thoughts on this?

I'm kind of in the same camp. I enjoy "pagan" spirituality, and have had very interesting visions, but to follow or worship seems out of place and dishonest. I want to know more about what I've encountered, but I don't feel like any path with a name is for me. This is the only way I can find what resonates with me and stick with that.

I was just reminded of Bruce Lee's formless form. He studied several disciplines but was driven to make his own that wasn't hampered by forms that didn't fit the need.

• Like 1

I enjoy "pagan" spirituality, and have had very interesting visions, but to follow or worship seems out of place and dishonest. 

Thats it exactly. It has a lot I see that is positive. I suppose there is nothing wrong in taking what I see valuable in its traditions, but its hard to overlook some pieces-- as fun as the whole Idea of this spirituality is. 

Maybe its a little romantic too, I love the idea of being a Druid- mystic, in touch with the earth, nature, slightly more human in a way I can't name

I remember reading somewhere that they liked to walk around naked and believed that burping helped keep evil spirits away.  I could get on board with that.

I am almost convinced the only spirituality fit for me is the one I will write myself.

This....^^^^.

Seriously, it is your 'spirituality', go down your own path.  Look into other ideas, read a lot, think about it, and come to your own conclusions as to how you want to develop your own spirituality   Allow those ideas to change, and they will.  But that's ok.  Its your spirituality, you can do whatever you want with it.

If you try to find something already established that you fit into, you may find yourself struggling to accept things that don't quite gel with you.  and you've already been there.

• Like 1

I'm with what everyone and yourself has been saying. Take your own spiritual journey, and find your own truths. That doesn't stop you from learning from others, but when you find out where some of these things came from, it was just people starting with their own ideas and sometimes building on their knowledge of existing religions.

I would check out Ray Wilkinsons book on Rudolf Steiner, not to follow but to get an idea of what you may write about. Whatever, just enrich yourself with what you need and write about what you feel is necessary. Who knows, this could be the start of a new branch of godless spirituality. It all starts from somewhere. Bearing in mind there is no God who wrote the rules, so it is down to us human beings to discover our spirituality and share our findings with other human beings.

I am in a similar quandary about Tibetan Buddhism. It seems that there are some things I can't get on board with either, and I am certainly not Tibetan - it also sometimes seems strange to be doing "someone else's religion".  JW, have you actually met with a group yet?

I am still a member of a dharma center, but it isn't easy at times. All organized groups seem to require a lot - whether church,  dharma centers and I am sure pagan groups as well.  Time and energy I really don't have working full time, and there is a subtle pressure to always do more. So, it isn't just the philosophy or the beliefs, but the group dynamic as well.

Maybe its a little romantic too, I love the idea of being a Druid- mystic, in touch with the earth, nature, slightly more human in a way I can't name

Yes, and I have some of that kind of feeling going on as well. For myself, substitute being involved in something kind of mysterious, that most people don't know much about.  I like that, and I do like ceremonies and mysticism.

So, yes, JW, I think it is something a person has to cobble together for oneself and I can't see any alternative to it.

I chose to be a solitary eclectic quite a ways back... there are things I like and ring true to me in several disciplines, and I despise the dogma in all of them.

So I adopt those things that are right for me... the awareness of the seasons and nature and cycles from paganism - that grounds me. The brotherhood concepts of the Native Canadians especially with animals and dreamwork and the potluck, The acceptance and detachment of Zen Buddhism - just makes sense to make peace with what is. The meditation of Hinduism, the moving meditations of yoga, The mysticism of the Gnostics and Rosicrucians.. etc... There are also cultural things I kind of elevate to spirituality - the minimalism of Japan, ecstatic dance of the Sufis, the simplicity of the Inuit, the deep earth wisdom of the San people and Australian Aborigines... and on...

I've tried so many different things and I've found it's not some of the spirituality I have a problem with - it's the way people organize into hierarchies whenever they get together and then try to canonize the spiritual - it kills it.

I also can not do anthropomorphization - just feels silly to me.

• Like 2

JW, have you actually met with a group yet?

So, yes, JW, I think it is something a person has to cobble together for oneself and I can't see any alternative to it.

Yes, I have gone to a Rinzai buddhist temple.. but I must admit only once. It was early in the morning and a good drive away. Even though I think I could enjoy it if I went regularly- it seems like a chore at the moment. I haven't met with the Druids yet. I think it might be worth while, but still am not sure

Im coming to the conclusion that the "perfect thing" is probably not out there. The romantic in me still has a little hope