22 replies to this topic

#1 LifeCycle

LifeCycle

Infidel

• 1,398 posts
  • Interests:Life
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Fullers London Porter

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

I was one of their biggest fans back in my youth days.  Got to meet them a few times and see them in concert, I dunno how many times.  Still, to this day, I listen to their music... In The Light is one of my all-time favorites of theirs but I'm a fan of all their stuff.

Listening to the Free At Last album right now, actually. 

There are some things you just can't let go of.  :)

"Forgive those that trespass against you, love your enemies - and while you're doing that, I'll be over here torturing people for their beliefs."
-God
Free will is a rope God gives to everyone, even those he knows are incapable of handling it. "Now go hang yourself with it for all eternity, because I love you."
-God

#2 Rek99

Rek99

Thinker

• 148 posts
  • Interests:Finance, Games, Sports, Movies, Spending Time with my Wife and Kids
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

I enjoy their voices for the most part, but the words really don't jive with me at this point.  I mean, the peace and love stuff is fine, but the Jesus stuff makes me cringe.

#3 Suzy

Suzy

Apostate

• 843 posts
  • Interests:Reading, cosmology, music, observing the world around me
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :God-free since 2010

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

I used to have their Jesus Freak album. At the time I liked it, but I think only beacuse we weren't supposed to listen to secular music and DC Talk were always trying to rip off what was cool in secular music (only in much weaker quality). They did hip-hop, then grunge - just whatever was trendy.
"The major ingredient of any recipe for fear is the unknown"

#4 HymenaeusAlexander

HymenaeusAlexander

Skeptic

• 506 posts
  • Interests:The Bible (as a human book), history, philosophy, having fun with my family, watching American football
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Nope

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

I was a fan back in the day. Pretty sure I wore out my Free at Last cassette. I didn't particularly like it when they changed their sound and I even regretted buying Supernatural because I thought it sucked so bad. I never liked any of their solo projects except for some of Michael Tait's stuff.

There's probably some nostalgia related to any desire I would have to listen to them now, which isn't much. Maybe on a whim I'll put on "The Hardway" so I can reminisce about sixteen-year-old me cranking up the bass in my Ford Tempo while pulling out of my Christian school's parking lot as an act of defiance (they were against all forms of syncopation) and thinking I was so awesome because I could listen to cool music and still honor Jesus even though none of my friends listened to CCM. God, I was such a tool.

"There is not enough love and kindness in the world to give any of it away to imaginary beings." - Friederich Nietzsche

Check out my blog containing things like my extimony, my comments on the Pentateuch and other stuff related to leaving Christianity.

#5 LifeCycle

LifeCycle

Infidel

• 1,398 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

I was a fan back in the day. Pretty sure I wore out my Free at Last cassette. I didn't particularly like it when they changed their sound and I even regretted buying Supernatural because I thought it sucked so bad. I never liked any of their solo projects except for some of Michael Tait's stuff.

There's probably some nostalgia related to any desire I would have to listen to them now, which isn't much. Maybe on a whim I'll put on "The Hardway" so I can reminisce about sixteen-year-old me cranking up the bass in my Ford Tempo while pulling out of my Christian school's parking lot as an act of defiance (they were against all forms of syncopation) and thinking I was so awesome because I could listen to cool music and still honor Jesus even though none of my friends listened to CCM. God, I was such a tool.

Haha, that's awesome. 

Sometimes being tossed back in time by listening to the old skool stuff is fun. 

"Forgive those that trespass against you, love your enemies - and while you're doing that, I'll be over here torturing people for their beliefs."
-God
Free will is a rope God gives to everyone, even those he knows are incapable of handling it. "Now go hang yourself with it for all eternity, because I love you."
-God

#6 Rek99

Rek99

Thinker

• 148 posts
  • Interests:Finance, Games, Sports, Movies, Spending Time with my Wife and Kids
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Yeah it's absolutely nostalgic.  I listened to my fair share of DC Talk, Audio Adrenaline, The O.C. Supertones, and later on, Kutless..... H.A.'s post put a big smile on my face.  I also went to a very conservative Christian College and rowdyness in general was discouraged, so my M.O. was to crank up the noise in my 88' Corolla..... all the way until I turned into the parking lot.  I was dating my wife back then too, and I was freshly out of my parent's house so it's mostly good feelings.

The only "Christian" band that I would listen to today would be Five Iron Frenzy.  They were easily my favorite and they're making great music to this day.  Worst. Band. Ever.

#7 Discern

Discern

Strong Minded

• 314 posts
  • Interests:_
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Outlook not so good.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

Brings back some good memories. We had their two first albums when I was a kid (DC Talk and Nu Thang). This was very early 90s. We played those over and over. Their Nu Thang video collection was the only music videos I ever had as a kid so it got a lot of play (when we were allowed to watch videos, that is).  I haven't heard that album since those days, but I can still remember some of the lyrics.. "she heard a James Brown sample and thought he was dead".

I saw them live once...I think it was around 1994. I don't remember being very impressed. By that time our church thought DC Talk had gone a bit lukewarm and wishy-washy, so we were a bit turned off. I remember during the concert they never actually presented the gospel to the audience, they just said something vague like "ask a friend if you want to know more about Jesus".  I remember thinking they squandered a perfect opportunity to share their testimony and see lost souls saved.  We were judgemental fundies lol

After those early DC Talk albums I never got into christian music again, aside from a couple in-house bands in our church. I just never liked the style of mainstream CCM. I did like the odd Hillsong song or two though.

Edited by Discern, 07 March 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#8 HymenaeusAlexander

HymenaeusAlexander

Skeptic

• 506 posts
  • Interests:The Bible (as a human book), history, philosophy, having fun with my family, watching American football

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

"she heard a James Brown sample (uh!) and thought he was dead there".

Had to fix that, especially since I now have that song stuck in my head.

I never understood the expectation that some had on CCM artists for them to be preachers as well as musicians. I pretty much saw them as entertainers who were providing an alternative to secular artists. It's not like any of them knew much about theology or the Bible.Take one of DC Talk's early lyrics from the song "The King (Allelujah)" for example:

John the Baptist prophesied a Messiah will rise
He'll be tried, crucified, ascend in the skies
Years later in the city of Dave
A miracle of God gave a virgin a babe
Kings came from afar, followed a star
To worship baby Jesus who was born in a barn

Even at 14 I recognized that the biblical chronology and details were seriously fudged here. What do they teach at Liberty University?

"There is not enough love and kindness in the world to give any of it away to imaginary beings." - Friederich Nietzsche

Check out my blog containing things like my extimony, my comments on the Pentateuch and other stuff related to leaving Christianity.

#9 Discern

Discern

Strong Minded

• 314 posts
  • Interests:_
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Outlook not so good.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

"she heard a James Brown sample (uh!) and thought he was dead there".

Had to fix that, especially since I now have that song stuck in my head.

haha funny how I misheard it all those years. Always thought it was some reference to that old techno song....despite DC Talk claiming to love hip hop.

#10 LifeCycle

LifeCycle

Infidel

• 1,398 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

Haha, this is so cool.  They were huge... The biggest thing in Christian music for a long time - well, Michael W Smith was right there with them but then he went through the stratosphere when some of his songs went "mainstream."

I was a naive little boy and I loved it all.  Was a huge fan of music and still am to this day.

-God
-God

#11 stryper

stryper

You are choosing to read this.

• 3,932 posts
  • Interests:video games, movies, poker, my kids
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :me

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Even at 14 I recognized that the biblical chronology and details were seriously fudged here. What do they teach at Liberty University?

silverpenny013Hmmm.gif not sure if serious question or just joking.

I never liked DC talk till jesus freak.  But then I hate rap.   I still listen to In the Light from time to time.

"It's wildly irritating to have invented something as revolutionary as sarcasm, only to have it abused by amateurs."
— Biff (Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal)

Faith is Silly. It is blind acceptance in things you have every right to question. -Michael

#12 DrNo

DrNo

Skeptic

• 444 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Graphic Novels, fitness, history, Mumford & Sons, nature, good movies, Arrested Development, Game of Thrones, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Rome
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Nope.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Oh boy, I remember these guys. My first introduction to Christian music was Carman ("Satan! Bite the dust. <BLAM!> <"Rawhide" theme plays>"). He actually did a collaboration with dc Talk called "Addicted to Jesus." I can still see my adolescent self bopping along to that, making the hand gestures and everything. Oh and there's me doing a youth group variety show acting out "Satan Bite the Dust" and "Revival in the Land." 'Scuse me while I go repress some memories now.

I got so caught up in the Christian music scene that I got rid of all my secular music, as of course Christian music was by definition superior to secular music. Regrets. Bad regrets. Oh well, at least now we have Pandora and Spotify.

Edited by DrNo, 07 March 2013 - 02:28 PM.

Ubi dubium ibi liberatas.

#13 LifeCycle

LifeCycle

Infidel

• 1,398 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Oh boy, I remember these guys. My first introduction to Christian music was Carman ("Satan! Bite the dust. <BLAM!> <"Rawhide" theme plays>"). He actually did a collaboration with dc Talk called "Addicted to Jesus." I can still see my adolescent self bopping along to that, making the hand gestures and everything. Oh and there's me doing a youth group variety show acting out "Satan Bite the Dust" and "Revival in the Land." 'Scuse me while I go repress some memories now.

I got so caught up in the Christian music scene that I got rid of all my secular music, as of course Christian music was by definition superior to secular music. Regrets. Bad regrets. Oh well, at least now we have Pandora and Spotify.

Yes, I know Carman well... Sad news... He just recently found out that he has Myeloma Cancer and has a window of 3-4 years of life left.

Regarding the A2J stuff...  This goes back to me knowing Carmen well...  I was supposed to be in that video as a main dancer but I was freaking sick.  I can name you the names of those dancers in that video who later went onto form their on group called Raze... They also suffered a catastrophic event and disbanded.  I've run into JaMarc a few times around town since then.  His dad played keyboards and his brother played the drums for Carman at his live events and his pre-recorded shows that were filmed in the MaBee Center. So that's how they were connected and how JaMarc had a direct path to a record deal.  I dated Mizie (Misty) from Raze before that group got together.  Damn, she was hot.

But yeah, regarding the Christian music scene... I firmly believed they had the better talent then the secular "crap" out there.  Oh man...  How shameful.

-God
-God

#14 DrNo

DrNo

Skeptic

• 444 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Graphic Novels, fitness, history, Mumford & Sons, nature, good movies, Arrested Development, Game of Thrones, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Rome

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Regarding the A2J stuff...  This goes back to me knowing Carmen well...  I was supposed to be in that video as a main dancer but I was freaking sick.  I can name you the names of those dancers in that video who later went onto form their on group called Raze... They also suffered a catastrophic event and disbanded.  I've run into JaMarc a few times around town since then.  His dad played keyboards and his brother played the drums for Carman at his live events and his pre-recorded shows that were filmed in the MaBee Center. So that's how they were connected and how JaMarc had a direct path to a record deal.  I dated Mizie (Misty) from Raze before that group got together.  Damn, she was hot.

But yeah, regarding the Christian music scene... I firmly believed they had the better talent then the secular "crap" out there.  Oh man...  How shameful.

LOLing at the thought of you being bummed to not be in that video. More like you dodged a bullet.

I remember the Raze stuff and being so disillusioned that a Christian band member could do something like that. I also remember thinking Mizie was hot at the time.

Raze+-+Power.jpg

Ring a bell? Gawd. the 90s.

#15 DrNo

DrNo

Skeptic

• 444 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Another gem from "back in the day":

Edit: YouTube gremlins forcing us to hyperlink

The comments below the vid are just...sad...

Edited by DrNo, 07 March 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#16 Margee

Margee

'Madame Eve'

• 5,515 posts
  • Interests:Learning how to be an ex-Christian and be comfortable with it!
    This is my 'Please Forgive Me' letter - It is my testimony and I hope it helps someone....You'll have to copy and paste.
    http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/44259-please-forgive-me/
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Non-Believer

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

I walked, danced and exercised everyday for 2 years to DC Talk. I loved them. This was one of my favorites.

If you keep clicking on the tube tube - it should show up.........

93% of the mass in our body is stardust. Just think.....long ago someone may have wished upon a star that you are made of.
God may not work.....but you could try wishing upon a star! Posted Image

#17 LifeCycle

LifeCycle

Infidel

• 1,398 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

I walked, danced and exercised everyday for 2 years to DC Talk. I loved them. This was one of my favorites.

If you keep clicking on the tube tube - it should show up.........

Yup!  That was a good one for sure! 

Kevin Max is now lead for Audio Adrenaline and Michael Tait is now lead for the Newsboys.    Toby Mac is doing his own thing and seems to be doing fine.  I've always wondered just how much money they earned back in pinnacle of their careers as DC Talk...  Most other CCM artists didn't make much.  You had to pretty big to earn a comfortable living in that industry.

-God
-God

#18 HymenaeusAlexander

HymenaeusAlexander

Skeptic

• 506 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

Newsboys is the CCM version of the Ship of Theseus.

#19 kolaida

kolaida

Apostate

• 911 posts
  • Interests:wasting time on the internet, playing with my kittens, disorders, watching stuff on hulu, open to trying just about anything.
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Feels extremely weird to say but no, I do not.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Ah yeah, I remember DCTalk too well! And I went to a Carman concert, too.  Also, the WoW Contemporary and Gospel CDs. We had a ton of those. 

#20 Galien

Galien

Offending sensibilites since 1960

• ☆ Silver Patron ☆
  • 3,266 posts
  • Interests:Surviving
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Love

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

I loved Supernatural. Still do.
There is no "Them", there is only "Us"

"Scar tissue that I wish you saw, sarcastic mr. know it all" Red Hot Chilli Peppers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users