Goodbye Jesus

The Passion Of Ayn Rand

Margee

Well.....WendyDoh.gif phew.gif ...

I have never watched a movie that had so many humans emotions in it. The story is perfect for those who are questioning the topic of morality. This movie kept my interest every second. The lies, deceit, manipulation and truth that is contained in this movie is beyond any movie I have ever watched that gives you the hints to the human nature of morality.

I like a lot of what Ayn Rand says.. I really do. I've been reading her 'stuff' for a while. She intrigues me. She will take you out of your co-dependant nature in one lecture. Wendytwitch.gif lol

You really must watch the movie. If it is an actual true portrayal of her life... you can see how 'love' did actually make her ''cave' in the end.

Wonderful, if you are searching out  the difference between objectivism, selfishness and altruism.

Anyone who has the time to watch this movie...I found it was really worth it....

I don't think she was a real bad person, she had a lot of good things to say....... BUT...I do feel I know where she went VERY wrong in trying to bring her message to the world.......

I would be interested in what your comments would be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRp_Zr-yD6I

• Like 3

Just don't become an objectivist on us Margee.  You're too sweet and objectivists are usually selfish assholes. 

• Like 4

Just don't become an objectivist on us Margee.  You're too sweet and objectivists are usually selfish assholes.

no, no, no Vigile!! Wendytwitch.gifeek.gif   This movie showed me some of the devastation of objectivism!! We must have love!

It really is a fabulous movie about morality!! I am feeling my way in my new world....doing a lot of reading and investigating.

Ayn shows me in some ways how I can change for the better and also what NOT to do!!

...thank you for the compliment hon!

edit..

• Like 3

I will try and watch it but she is NOT one of my favourite people.

• Like 1

I will try and watch it but she is NOT one of my favourite people.

Galien, it's really a juicy love story.yellow.gif  Forget who she is and just enjoy the show. I personally, really  loved it. I got a lot out of that movie. Let me know!

• Like 1

I watched it. I thought Barbara the most interesting character, Nathan a bigger narcissist than Rand herself, and dear Frank in need of rehab.

I have been silly in my life to put everyone else's needs before my own, but I believe it is equally silly to live the way Rand suggests. 

Balance in life is something we all miss. There is a healthy place for all of us between the two extremes. I am only just beginning to find mine. One of the first things I have to do is stop hating people like Rand, and the world seems fuller of them, certainly a lot more full than it was in the 60s and 70s when I grew up. I find the world I live in now possessed of a self centredness that takes my breath away and makes me despair for all of us.

Whether we like it or no we are social creatures, and it is necessary for us to be interdependent. The chances of that happening are getting slimmer with every passing year.

I will give you an example.I HATE Sex and the City with a passion my daughters find amusing in its depth. If my daughters turned out like these women I would have them kidnapped and reprogrammed.I don't get the whole me, me me culture at all and the worst thing I can imagine is having one of these vapid cows as a parent. Call me old fashioned, but WTF???

My shop of constant forgiveness and having people wipe their feet on me because god said so is closed for good. However, I am naturally other centred, and whilst I now choose who I let into my heart a lot more carefully, I never, ever want to be a selfish bitch. Or in fact a bitch of any kind. Hating selfish people turns me into one.

I enjoyed the movie a lot more than I thought I would. I understood Rand a lot more than I thought I would, like me she is weird and sees the world differently from most. Her downfall is that she thinks her ideas more important than valid than everyone else's. She thought more like a man than a woman. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen the movie, but you're making me think I'll rent it and watch it, Margee.

Galien, have you seen any episodes of Girls?  I think it's silly but amusing and true to some extent to what I see in former students who are in their twenties.  Mervin hates it.  We shall go on the merry-go-round of who gets to decide what to watch.

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread here. The movie no longer works. I'm starting to read her works. The descriptions of the PO do not mesh AT ALL with what I've been reading of her philosophy.  I'm wondering whether perhaps it was a distorted presentation of objectivism?

I don't get that from it, but I didn't study her philosophy, I just read her books.  The film, The Fountainhead is true to the book.  All the main characters gave a huge shit about what they believed in, it's to oblivion with everyone else.

Her whole philosophy can be boiled down into this:  WHY should I give a shit?  

Why would she give a shit, seems like she didn't have the capacity to see beyond the end of her own self absorbed nose. Imagine having a piece of shit like that for a mother. So intelligent but could not understand interdependence. Needed a good kick you know where. Or a year living in a mud hut in Somalia watching her kiddies starve. Definitely in my top five cunts list.

An important thing to note about her main characters is that they all had the capacity, the ability to work independently.  They interacted with and co-depended on others like themselves who act independently to accomplish their goals, Roark and Wynand working together for example.  They needed each other.

Her whole philosophy can be boiled down into this:  WHY should I give a shit?  

Why would she give a shit, seems like she didn't have the capacity to see beyond the end of her own self absorbed nose. Imagine having a piece of shit like that for a mother. So intelligent but could not understand interdependence. Needed a good kick you know where. Or a year living in a mud hut in Somalia watching her kiddies starve. Definitely in my top five cunts list.

In case you are not aware, this section of the board are NOT for picking a fight.  That is reserved for the Lion's Den or Totally off topic so if you wish, you might want to start a thread in one of those other areas and I MIGHT oblige you in a pissing match to your hearts content.  

Unlikely, I would never want to get between a man and his god.

Please keep this thread on topic and drop the personal attacks.

I am doing a study right now on all the different personality disorders that we have to deal with in our everyday lives. My eyes are being totally opened to many, many things about humans. I think Ann was a pathological narcissist. She did not care if she hurt people. She had no empathy 'button'. It seems as if there would be no changing her unless she recognized that she was this way and was very willing to get help for it.

As I study all the different disorders, I also see myself in some of them. Maybe, I 'performed' my whole life with some of the traits of narcissism because of my own insecurity to be loved?

Anyway...those are my thoughts and I am working very hard on my own personality, hopefully to 'fix' some things and become a much healthier individual. It is only those who will not look in the mirror at who they are and 'why' they are, the way they are....that will never change.

• Like 1

She had no empathy 'button'. It seems as if there would be no changing her unless she recognized that she was this way and was very willing to get help for it.

The fact that she idolized a murdering sociopath is quite telling about her values I think.

http://exiledonline.com/paul-ryans-guru-ayn-rand-worshipped-a-serial-killer-who-kidnapped-and-dismembered-little-girls/

She had no empathy 'button'. It seems as if there would be no changing her unless she recognized that she was this way and was very willing to get help for it.

The fact that she idolized a murdering sociopath is quite telling about her values I think.

http://exiledonline.com/paul-ryans-guru-ayn-rand-worshipped-a-serial-killer-who-kidnapped-and-dismembered-little-girls/

Yes, Vigile, I have read some of this stuff. Wow. When I first watched the movie, I didn't know a lot about Ann. As I am studying the different personality disorders, her name has come up often. They are saying now that they can test the babies at birth to actually see what kind of personality they might grow into so we can protect ourselves against sociopaths.. Maybe our future will be more safe if they can perform these tests.

When you are dealing with the more 'normal' personality quirks like Passive/Aggressive....these things can be fixed by the person themselves if the person can admit and will accept the fact  that they have developed this personality. I even see myself in this and can now work on it.. I am learning so much at this age......it's all very interesting........and scary....Wendytwitch.gif

I think sometimes that the world has gone a little overboard with all the different personality disorders, but just have a look

at some of them....eek.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mental_disorders

A murdering sociopath?  I guess I haven't read all of her books.  Which one was that?

Margee, you're free to use me as a case study.  I'm not a sociopath or narcissistic, but I'm seriously fucked up, enough to fail miserably in life and be hopelessly poor by design.  Insight is welcome.  

A murdering sociopath?  I guess I haven't read all of her books.  Which one was that?

Margee, you're free to use me as a case study.  I'm not a sociopath or narcissistic, but I'm seriously fucked up, enough to fail miserably in life and be hopelessly poor by design.  Insight is welcome.  

First of all, in my opinion, it just nice that you can openly admit that you have a hard time with life. I do too.

I don't yet know what category I'm going to put myself in. Lol  When I read all these different types of 'disorder's in humans....I can admit myself that I have a few. It's scary when you start checking off the lists!!!! eek.gif  I don't think I'm dangerous just yet!! Wendytwitch.gif

I just started having a huge interest in what makes people 'tick', now that I'm on this big journey as an atheist. I find it very interesting..

When I was involved in anything in 'spirituality', I always excused people because of some spiritual reason. Now I want to see from an atheist point of view where this all fits in in human behavior. I even excused myself because I was a lowly sinner who just 'white lied' sometimes and then take it to the alter for forgiveness...

Start looking at the list on Wikipedia and see where you might fit in?

I think sometimes that the world has gone a little overboard with all the different personality disorders, but just have a look

at some of them....eek.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mental_disorders

I clearly have two or three of those!

Margee: This sounds interesting. I've touched on personality types and disorders, but I'd like to know

more. What books would you recommend? bill

Galien: "I find the world I live in now possessed of a self centredness that takes my breath away and

makes me despair for all of us."

I totally agree. It seems much worse than I remember, but I wonder if it was just a different perspective when I was young. bill

Galien: "I find the world I live in now possessed of a self centredness that takes my breath away and

makes me despair for all of us."

I totally agree. It seems much worse than I remember, but I wonder if it was just a different perspective when I was young. bill

It's just America.  

Voice: Could be. That's a frightening thought, though. bill

Margee, the name is Ayn, not Ann. It's pronounced "ein" as in "Einstein." She grew up in Russia under the Soviets and escaped to the US on a visitor's visa promising to return shortly, but with the intention never to return.

Several more points in response to the above posts:

1. I still can't see the video in the OP that started all this.
  2. Wikipedia is not the best source on personality disorders or anything; it's just a general overview of everything. Go to Wikipedia's sources if you want professional websites and books provided they list any. 
  3. I don't get why people are so down on Ayn Rand re selfishness when so many on these exC forums promote the greatness of humanity. In their avatar for "Are there any gods? If so, who or what?" many people on here say: Me. I figured that idea came directly or indirectly from Ayn Rand's Objectivist philosophy.
  4. It seems the people on this thread have not actually read her books--only watched movies about her or movies made of her books. Read her books. Read what people like Leonard Peikoff say about her and her work. Peikoff worked with her for thirty years.