Goodbye Jesus

Angels In The Six-Day War?

Kris

While I was reading an article on the supposed mystery priest and his miracle appearance--- there is post to this on the News Forum-- I was reading a few comments. Someone on one of the articles stated that similar events like this happened during the six-day war and both Israelis and Egyptians reported these events-- anybody hear of these stories? Are they the similar drivel?

This is from Omega Letter today...

"Shalu Shlom Yerushalayim

One of our members forwarded an email along that they received from Israel, with a very interesting twist to it. First, I will share the contents of the email, and then we'll discuss it.

(Begin email report) Israel lost quite a number of dead and wounded over the last several days, and this week Colonel Kline was one of those who died in the midst of battle. What was not widely reported in the media is "how he died, and what happened as a result of his death."

Klein had taken a unit of 20 Israeli soldiers into the midst of one of Lebanon's border cities where the fighting was fierce. He led his men into a courtyard that was walled up around believing it provide a place of cover and rest from enemy fire.

Suddenly, someone tossed a hand grenade out of one of the windows above them, and as it hit the ground, Klein threw his body over the hand grenade and cried out shouting: <b>"Schema Yisrael Adoni Elohinu, Adonai Ekhad." Hear O Israel, the L-rd our G-d, the L-rd is One!</b>

As he shouted the last words he would ever speak in this holiest of prayers He honored his G-d. The grenade blew up killing him but sparing all of his soldiers from death. Some were slightly injured from shrapnel but none had life threatening wounds because of Colonel Klein's actions.

It seems afterward some of the soldiers saw an angel standing over the lifeless body of the Colonel. Some of the wounded were taken to a hospital and wanted to speak about this but they were told to say nothing. However, some of them could not keep silent. Who could keep silent after seeing an angel?

The word got out through some of their parents. The mainstream media here has maintained silence, and the army has ordered them not to speak about their experience, but our sources are bringing us this awesome news! We are seeking to contact and go meet some of these wounded men....Pray for the L-rd to open a door to speak with those who have seen one of G-d's messengers and can now be a witness that He is real. He is alive; He is the living G-d!

Colonel Klein called upon the living G-d and gave Him glory seconds before He died saving his comrades. G-d showed up immediately and sent one of His messengers to reveal that He was there with them, and now

I haven't read all your posts in this thread but I myself have always been intrigued by the story of the Mons Angels, which was some kind of apparition that occurred at the battle of Ypres, in 1916, allowing a great many troops to escape shelling and machine-gun fire.

What makes the story of the Mons angels something to at least consider is that it was circulating before the days when this kind of thing was adopted for fund-raising propaganda (note that a lot of  tourist money was funnelled into ultimately military-orientated organisations [through what on the surface was a religiously motivated fund] by way of stories about religious icons supposedly doing exhibiting something miraculous - shedding a tear or something - in the former Yugoslavia, in the 1990's); I reckon there is a good case to be made that the Mons Angels, true or not, has been used as a model.

Let's say I am open-mindedly sceptical.

BTW despite what it says against my name, I am not an 'Authentic Christian Believer'.

As for the Mon Angels, Wikipedia gives a rather concise breakdown of it, including the original author, Machen bemoaning how his fictional story got snowballed into something so huge.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mons_angels

As for the Six Day War angels, I can't really find anything about them except for on religious sites. The actual account of the war seems to leave them out.  It's possible some of the soldiers really believed they saw angels. These are all very religious people we are already dealing with in an highly stressful environment.  Gershon Soloman was there dying and I've read a couple different accounts, the one that seems most likely is he was wounded and a couple Syrian soldiers entered the area open firing on their wounded enemy and then fled, citing that they saw angels surround Gershon.  (Also a religious site, though I forget which one, there is a LOT of religious sites reporting this but when I look up just the Six Day War and events, I don't see any references to it or that these Syrians reported the citing of angels to the UN like claimed). 

Did the Syrians actually see that? Or did they report that simply because they had no other reason to flee or saw something else coming and ran from it, but didn't want to report that they ran instead of facing the enemy? What were they taking, how much food had they eaten that day, how hot was it, how much slept had they had, how long had they been out, how old were they, etc? A lot of stuff plays into this. 

Also, that email, keep in mind you are reading NDEs and NDEs can be very iffy, all these people are injured and were already under extreme duress prior to injury, are heavily religious prior to the stressful environment, and just saw a colleague blow themselves to bits in order to save them; it's natural they'd want to see an angel standing over their colleague/leader. It's possible it simply could have been another soldier checking for any remains and it looked like an angel through all the smoke and craziness. 

Unless there is a specific UN document citing this and even if there IS (which I doubt), it would just be some people saying they thought they saw angels in the height of war. Just because someone claims to see something doesn't mean they actually SAW it. They might truly believe they saw it, but that still doesn't make it true. 

Anyway, I hoped I helped a little. 

Kolaida, you definitely did help as you mentioned some things I had not thought of, such as exhaustion etc-- I wish this stuff didn't get to me the way it does. I still really struggle with information on the Internet-- it messes with my mind a lot. Just when I think I have a handle on things-- I see an article on a mysterious priest and then read a few comments--- see one about the six-day war and angels-- and down the crazy hole I go. I spent the whole day worrying about angels protecting Israel. Ughh--- becoming a comfortable atheist is the most difficult thing I have ever done. I trip myself up so many times with things like this. It gets so damn depressing

• Like 1

As for the Mon Angels, Wikipedia gives a rather concise breakdown of it, including the original author, Machen bemoaning how his fictional story got snowballed into something so huge.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mons_angels

It might or might not be how Wikipedia says it but I have learnt not to trust anything Wikipedia says when it comes to subjects that run contrary to the mainstream line (and nowadays spirituality is excluded from the mainstream).

It might or might not be how Wikipedia says it but I have learnt not to trust anything Wikipedia says when it comes to subjects that run contrary to the mainstream line (and nowadays spirituality is excluded from the mainstream).

It's not JUST wikipedia that says it, but I understand why you would be leery of the wikis since anybody can edit it (though it is monitored).  In this particular case, I DID read the whole thing as it was pretty straightforward and they offered quite a few legitimate links to back statements.  Also, a simple google search (or any search engine) and you can find Machen, who the story originated from, insisting it was false from the get-go from various sources and varying years. People used the story he created as propaganda.  From Machen in his preface to The Bowmen, after all the hubbub surrounding it:  http://www.aftermathww1.com/bowmint1.asp

I guess it's all a matter of perception; spirituality doesn't seem to be particularly lacking from the mainstream for me but I mostly get my news from the internet and it seems pretty all-encompassing.  I don't watch very much cable TV anymore, though. 

Kolaida, you definitely did help as you mentioned some things I had not thought of, such as exhaustion etc-- I wish this stuff didn't get to me the way it does. I still really struggle with information on the Internet-- it messes with my mind a lot. Just when I think I have a handle on things-- I see an article on a mysterious priest and then read a few comments--- see one about the six-day war and angels-- and down the crazy hole I go. I spent the whole day worrying about angels protecting Israel. Ughh--- becoming a comfortable atheist is the most difficult thing I have ever done. I trip myself up so many times with things like this. It gets so damn depressing

I remember someone once said the best thing about the internet is all the information at your fingertips and the worst thing about the internet is all the information (or disinformation, in some cases) at your fingertips. Double edged sword.  

It's not as if you have to become a stringent atheist or anything.  Nothing is wrong with agnosticism.  I'm by no means saying it's completely impossible this happened, just that it's highly doubtful.  I tend to believe in the power of the human mind over everything else. I spent quite a bit of time googling that war, checking out various websites. When I searched Six Day War, I found multiple accounts of the war (what intrigued me most is that Israel attacked a US ship and claimed it to be accidental but I guess it was questionable though the US accepted the apology) and that Damascus Radio did a stint to try to put pressure on the UN to make a treaty quicker and it would up demoralizing the Syrian troops as they were falsely led to believe by the radio that a city of their's had fallen three hours before it actually did.  This was the consistent account of the war I came across on the non religious sites (and obviously stuff about Egypt and Jordan, too. UK and USSR were brought up as well).  I never ran into angels or angels being one of the reasons for the end of the war. 

However, on religious sites (not even all Christian), I got various stories of the citing of angels, none of it was very consistent except for the name of the guy and it being Syrian troops (though the number varied every time). The guy talked about the most, Gershon Soloman, isn't even the man claiming to really see them, it was the nameless and varying number of Syrian troops.  It's good to always take in the situation and what could have alternately caused the event or claimed event.  And you know, they could REALLY believe it.  Soloman believes this really happened and war is an extremely stressful environment and this war was only six days and sounded pretty intense. 

Also, I never once thought you were crazy! It's fine, things happen that make you question what you really believe especially if you have already experienced having faith. I'm glad I could help a bit! Hang in there.  Remember, it's not as if you have to have ALL the answers right away.  And IF there is a God, I'm sure he would get that. It's human nature to be curious and seek out answers. 

sci-walker its good to be skeptical of claims even on Wikipedia. However while you worry about the left hand you put blind-faith in the right. Wikipedia has been shown to be just as accurate if not moreso than brittanica. You can also verify the claims pretty easily. and correct it yourself.

I did a little more research on a number of the reported Israeli miracles by looking into a video series called-- Against All Odds- Israel Survives. This series has an investigative journalist research a number of miraculous claims-- while the stories were obviously slanted to support the stories, a few things became apparent-- the stories were always

With regard to Gershon Solomon, it may be a total exaggeration--- in the earlier story I posted, he apparently overheard a UN personnel member discussing a story of Syrians reporting angels--- I think this is a guy who wants to be a special envoy for god-- he also tells a story where he and some other soldiers meet a Arab right after Israel took over the old city who told him he would help build gods new temple-- so I think he has a bit of a self- fulfilling prophecy agenda. Not sure how credible he would be. .

Most humans do want to have special things happen to them especially when they were religious. I always wanted angels to appear around me! It does sound kind of like he might be embellishing his experiences. He was probably in quite a state of mind, too, at the time.  Remember, he was dying and seriously injured. He might have suffered from PTSD as most soldiers do and when he heard these claims, it brought him comfort and peace of mind and, in his mind, validated his beliefs and people like to feel validated. 

Research is always good, I'm glad you noticed the bias in the video series. You do have to wonder how convinced the Syrians were that there were thousands of angels.  And I doubt, thousands of troops saw it as claimed (I'm thinking a couple at most and who knows what was going through their head) because it didn't scare them out of attacking Israel (or Israel controlled Golan Heights) again in 1973.  If there really had been thousands of Syrian troops to have seen this, I'd think most of them still would have been around six years later and probably would not have been all that keen on attacking any Israelis. 

But of course, most Israelis are going to want to believe there were angels and that God helped them succeed.  They are the people written about in the Hebrew Bible and we're talking about countries with very religious residents. 

The other recurring story that keeps coming up is accounts of Syrian soldiers coming upon a small number of Israelite soldiers who abruptly dropped their weapons and started yelling Abraham. They all then supposedly ran away. In both of the accounts someone is talking to the Arabs later after the war and asked why they ran-- the Arabs said that they saw a giant man in the sky telling them to drop their weapons and leave the Jews alone. Now--- this information is coming from Israelis-- and no Arabs were actually interviewed on the videos I watched-- but the Israelis keep saying that "the Arabs saw this miracle". Any thoughts? Just more stories? I tried to google to see if any Arabs documented this anywhere but could find nothing. Is it just another case of a story being told that noone can ever fully prove because you don't have the arab's names? Only the Jews telling their side of the story?

The other recurring story that keeps coming up is accounts of Syrian soldiers coming upon a small number of Israelite soldiers who abruptly dropped their weapons and started yelling Abraham. They all then supposedly ran away. In both of the accounts someone is talking to the Arabs later after the war and asked why they ran-- the Arabs said that they saw a giant man in the sky telling them to drop their weapons and leave the Jews alone. Now--- this information is coming from Israelis-- and no Arabs were actually interviewed on the videos I watched-- but the Israelis keep saying that "the Arabs saw this miracle". Any thoughts? Just more stories? I tried to google to see if any Arabs documented this anywhere but could find nothing. Is it just another case of a story being told that noone can ever fully prove because you don't have the arab's names? Only the Jews telling their side of the story?

If more than one Arab saw it, I'm sure someone would have said so. If they did report this to the UN, I'm sure their names are known by some, at least by their commander and I'm sure the UN knows the name of their particular commander.  Who is talking to the Arabs after the war? Why can't we get their names? Why didn't the person interviewing the Arabs record their names? It's the 1960s and I don't think reporters did *that* shoddy of a job, the 1960s were not that long ago. 

I think it's a case of a story that can never be fully proved because we don't have all the information or facts regarding it.  It will probably always be this way, too.  If you check out that Mons Angel case, it's somewhat similar in nature except the guy the originated the story KNEW it was fiction and even insisted and look how many people simply ignored him and some were so anxious to have it be true they accused him of hearing of the story before he published it (and, really, there is no motive for him to have even done that).  People, especially Israelis hear this story and none of the Arabs are stepping forth (and due to their conflicting natures, it's doubtful they will) to deny (or confirm) it. It's natural they'd want to believe this story given how they were raised and how important religion generally is to them.  

I hope you don't mind me still answering.  I hope someone else will jump in, too. I just don't want to leave you hanging since I know this has stressed you out.  

No Kolaida--- I am so grateful for you jumping in--I am really trying to work through this, but don't have anyone in my life I can actually talk to about these things so I really appreciate this site.

I wish some others would jump in as well with some thoughts,just because I like to hear what they think--even if they say that I am an idiot for even listening to these stories to begin with. Since so many Christians and Israelis feel that Israel is gods chosen area-- these stories tend to build up that belief. I am trying to logically combat against that, and your input is super valuable to me!!!

• Like 1

Yeah, this site is AWESOME!! It has helped me a TON.   You could try posting in the General Theological Issue forum and maybe just put that you're concerned about the reports of angel sitings, particularly relating to the Six Day War and just in general.  Born Again Atheist usually uses that forum and he could probably address the issue in a better way.  I know when I was first here, I spent a LOT of time on that forum simply reading old threads to try to get my head straight because I was soooo confused. This thread specifically helped me a lot on how to consider reportings of stuff that seemed to support religious claims:  http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/54614-jim-and-penny-caldwells-archaeological-findings/    (I did not actually watch the video til halfway through the thread-- since at the time, I had no computer and BlackCat gave a good synopsis, it's easy to figure out what the video it about and it is interesting- and a little boring, the video-- but the thread is exciting and  does a very good job of going back and forth and presenting arguments.  It's similar to what you're going through except instead of angels, it's on archaeological findings.  

here's a few links as well, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8MXjlYZj5Mhttp://atheistexperience.blogspot.com/2011/04/authentic-angel-sighting-or-fail.html

I tried finding more but it is a little difficult.  There do seem to be a ton of religious things that pop up with it. Just remember, people want to see angels to validate their beliefs.  

And, yeah, stories surrounding Israel do tend to be built up since it is the "chosen land."   Thanks!! Glad I'm not annoying you or anything.  I hope it's helping ease your mind at least a little bit.  And, just because I posted atheist links doesn't mean you have to become an atheist.  Some people are open to the idea there is more out there, I wouldn't consider myself a stringent atheist (hell, I don't even know if I AM an atheist, lol), but some good points are brought up to consider. 

You aren't annoying me at all-- I figured I might be annoying others on this site because I didn't seem to be getting many responses-- I see other posts that get a ton of action so I figured I just turned people off with my topic. Ultimately, I guess I have to decide for myself whether this information changes my mind in any way.

The information is interesting but does seem to be missing the objectify of portraying both sides--- I would have a much greater problem discounting these purported miracles if I actually heard the Arabs supporting the stories or saw an actual UN documument outlining any of these events. It all comes down to the Israelis recounting these stories-- which are probably very important to them in justifying their rights to the land.

In one story of the Arabs seeing Abraham, it is one captured Jordanian telling the story to his Israeli captives. In the reenactment they are simply asking him why everyone ran away-- and he told his captors ( who seemed overly kind to their prisoner, by the way!) that he and his soldiers saw Abraham in the sky with flaming swords. Now, the real question is, did he really tell this story, or if he did, was he coerced by his captives into making up a magical story, or did he not tell this story at all, but the whole thing was made up by the Israelis as war propaganda-- the guy telling the story in the video (who was one of the Israeli soldiers) said he was an atheist but this incident bade him a believer. It could also be that the Jordanians did retreat yelling Abraham as a code word for something else and the story got embellished Or, lastly, the Jordanians really did see Abraham-- but isn't he their father as well and it makes me wonder why they wouldn't have seen this as a sign of support!! It is interesting that none of the secular stories have any of this data in them!

All of the miracle stories are pretty much like this-- so in

I don't think you're annoying anyone! The first few posts were kinda long, particularly the third one, and it is in Rants and Replies. I think it'd be better suited the theological forum-- but I could definitely see how it'd be a rant, you get really annoyed when you keep hearing these stories.  I was so annoyed earlier having to listen to this girl go on and on about this miracle in Missouri (that mysterious priest) and how the media was trying to hide the story from us (okaaay). 

I think you've found quite a good answer.  It's a lot more straightforward and concise than mine and makes a ton of sense.  I wouldn't have even thought about how Abraham is also the Jordinians father so why would they run and not see it as support? And it's definitely suspect that it's all from the words of a prisoner of war, which is also another conflicting story to all the other ones--- because I saw a ton where it was Syrian troops and now it's Jordinian troops. There are probably some accounts where it's Egyptian troops, too. The only consistent thing seems to really be from the Israelis that it helped the Israelis (also, there are thousands of angels in some stories but just Abraham in others).  

Yeah, if I saw something as spectacular as that, I'd be like, "I will do whatever they tell me!!!"  I'd be either trying to get in with them or fleeing to another continent!!! I sure wouldn't try to fight them again just a few years later! 

Yes, both of them always have good stuff to say!! So do a lot of other people, too.  I'd start naming but then I feel like I'd have to name all the regular posters and feel terrible if I left anyone out!  

I'm glad that you seem more at ease now with it and hopefully it will be a less stressful day tomorrow woohoo.gif

You are welcome and Thank YOU, Kris!! I think you're pretty awesome yourself!! I learned quite a bit from this thread, I enjoyed it!  

I still hope someone else will pitch in their two cents, too. Just cause its nice to hear from others also.  

Hi, there!

I'm sorry it took me a bit to get to this thread. I'd definitely read some about the Six Day War (in the context of the Cold War and such), but never heard about any angels. Supposedly 10,000 witnesses, and nothin' in the history books (and by extension, official reports)?

A few things strike me immediately, aside from "who has been circulating this story and why," which was already hinted at in previous posts.

1. This goes for all those "miracle stories" including about that girl and the phantom priest, which you mentioned, at first. You know who dies in wars like the Six Day War? A lot of people. Have a look at the casualties tab in that Wikipedia article. That's a lot of people. Angels are going to descend from on high to save somebody who was run over by his own side's tank (how?? did it sneak up on him? we'll look at that part later) but not anybody else... like say, innocent people caught in the crossfire, or friendly fire incidents, or purges that came afterwards. No? We're going to save the guy flattened by a tank. The guy must be important. What did he do AFTER the war? Did he survive it? More to the point: does he exist? That's the part that makes me sick about miracle stories - any time a "miracle" saves one little girl, how many others died that day from basically preventable reasons, or things that weren't their fault like childhood AIDS. And people take this for inspirational, rather than completely appalling.

(That's depressing, so here's a diversion. I'll tell you what's inspirational: during the Siege of Leningrad, while the city was choked off from supply, scientists starved to death guarding with their lives one of the world's seed banks. This is what heroism looks like. The crops we eat are often genetically very closely related, so a very virulent and deadly disease can devastate food crops, and seed banks "store" if you will, genetic diversity, so that resistant strains can be found, and famine averted. Yes, this happens. These people died, not just for their own children, or their own country, but made the sacrifice for everyone in the world who could be saved from famine by the seeds and plant samples in stock.)

2. He was supposedly run over by a tank. (Seriously, I'm still having problems figuring out exactly how you do that.)

Looks like the Israeli forces were using M48 Patton tanks. Apparently, they were also upgraded with thicker, better armour, among other things. Things I know about tanks. They are fast, but very noisy. And heavy, which brings us to another series of points. Watch this video of an M48 Patton crushing a car. What do I notice? That is not a whisper-quiet engine, it does not purr like a well-oiled kitten... and the car is very flat. Because it just got run over by almost 50 short tons of metal, and the Israelis, as mentioned above, added even more armour to their models, which means their tanks would have been even heavier. Incidentally, "soft ground" is actually a hazard to tanks. Even our most modern tanks. Look at it. With that kind of weight and density, they tend to sink. If the ground was "soft enough" to miraculously save him, the tank would have likely gotten stuck, and he'd have suffocated... while being crushed under a tank. 'cause mud compresses (especially if the tank is able to drive away at all, rather than just sink). This is why we have great tank battles in North Africa, or the Sinai, but not in, say, bogs or swamps.

What this boils down to: the story, even as reported, just isn't remotely possible. If he got "run over" by a tank, there would not be a "soldier's body" for angels to stand around, there'd be a slick of pancaked gunk on the ground... and all up in the tank's treads and undercarriage. Gaah! (And that's why this man's actions were stunningly courageous.)

3. Okay, so this is a story, likely come up with by people who have a very sketchy idea of what a tank is.

The next question is why? Why this story? What do people get out of it? My guess - Israel has a special place in the ideology and mythology of Evangelical-style Christians. Some of them really do believe that the existence of the modern state of Israel is a confirmation of prophesy, and a sign that the end-times are near. The Six Day War, for them, has special significance, since, on the surface, it looks like Israel had the backing of God and prophesy to triumph against impossible odds so quickly. The angel stories were likely concocted to confirm this belief, and reassure them that God is on the side they want it to be on. (As opposed to, you know, Israel being actually REALLY prepared, well-armed, well-led, and in a defensible position, and the coalition against them riven by internal conflict, communication gaffes, and supply issues. An armed force is only as good as its supply and communications chain.) Which brings me to the other reason I find "miracle" stories really offensive: it takes the credit away from the people who are actually responsible for achieving things.

That final complex of questions: who is telling this story, why would they tell this story, what do they gain by it, is this credible, is it reported by sources that have nothing to gain from it - is the key to almost all knowledge. If you can teach yourself to ask them every time you read anything, you can follow the facts and decide for yourself if it is true or not. Memorize it, maybe, at apply it to every bit of incoming information. Soon, it will be second-nature.

Don't worry about it, Kris, critical thinking has got your back.

• Like 1

Sorry to double-post, but here's a nice P. S.

This is a great low-angle picture of the same type of tank we're talking about, the M48 Patton. It is a museum tank, sitting happily on a concrete pad (so it doesn't sink, yes). Now, look under the body of the tank. See the daylight, there? That's not a lot of clearance, is it? Even on rock-solid concrete. Imagine this tank on packed dirt. Imagine this tank on sand. Imagine this tank on anything other than perfectly flat, level, rock-hard ground. "Soft ground??" Yeah, it's a meat-pancake making machine. Best-case scenario, the guy was hit on hard packed Earth or concrete, like a road bed, and scrunched up under the tank. Assuming the soldier's equipment didn't snag... assuming he didn't simply get crushed to death, anyway... Let's say he was lying flat, with his pack off, on hard ground, in just the right orientation to slip juuust under the tank, and not get caught on the treads... wow, he sure was a skinny guy. Who had the sense to think flat, flat thoughts, and not try to stand up or move at all when the tank ran over him. Riiiight. Theoretically, the skinniest person ever on concrete could do this. Likely? No. So, in that insane scenario, somebody could have survived this, no angels required.

Edit: My point is, technically, in a freak-accident scenario, trying really hard to make it come out in favour of the stories surrounding this thing... it's still not very plausible. And, even then, no angels required. You'd be out of commission, for the rest of the war, at least. Still, even if he hit the front of the tank, and didn't catch the treads, odds are that he'd still be a mangled meatslick.

Thanks for your frat info on tank-- I really don't know a whole lot about them so that gave me a lot more understanding.

The gentleman who was run over by the tank does claim divine providence as he is now the head of the Temple Institute who want to lead in building the third temple-- he feels god saved him to do this -- that is what makes this story extra creepy for me!!!

However, I have seen several different versions of the story and no actual UN documentation (just verbal reports) nor any Syrian soldier confirming the account so I guess I chalk it up to a good story that this guy has inflated in his mind and told so many times people don't dispute it?

I still would love to see the supposed UN documentation!! Wonder why he has never posted it online to bolster his story!