Goodbye Jesus

Why Do Christians Want To Go To Heaven?

rach

When I look at the description of heaven as described in the bible I just can't imagine how anybody could desire to go there!  Freaks me the hell out!  You've got a place with no nighttime, no sea, no marriage, no sex, apparently no fashion (white robes, apparently), and of course ruled by a dictator.  And to top it all off, the Apostle Paul will be there.  Forever.  For the life of me I just cannot see how a Christian could study heaven as depicted in the bible, and actually want to go there.  The only good thing I could find was the "no tears, no pain" part.  Other than that it sounds downright creepy.  Cryotanknotworthy.gif Cryotanknotworthy.gif Cryotanknotworthy.gif  As an agnostic I fear that it exists and that I'll end up there.  Theres no way I'd be happy there. 

I wanted to get into heaven so I would be reunited with all my loved ones.........but they weren't saved anyway....

Heaven does sound totally boring to me now. Sleeping forever sounds a lot better...no more alarm clocks...

• Like 1

Isn't there a passage in Revelation or something where the people in heaven are laughing ad the people suffering in hell?

I don't get the whole 72 virgins in paradise thing. Being stuck forever with 72 women for eternity? That's hell, isn't it?

Pretty sure I spent less time looking forward to heaven. Obsessing over hell consumed most of my time

I think fear of hell is what motivates most Christians to desire heaven. That's the duplicity of Christianity, it traps you into believing there are only two alternatives.

Evangelicals who take their faith seriously (note: I don't consider this a virtue, since Christianity is evil) have different reasons though. They want to go to heaven because Jesus is there. If Jesus were in hell, they would desire hell instead. If he were on the moon, that's where they'd want to be. Evangelicals are fixated on Jesus and desire eternal companionship with him. It's important to remember this when dealing with a serious evangelical.

• Like 1

@ Bhim: A-mum is obsessed with Jesus.  And she doesn't see this, but I do.  A-mum is fulfilling a fantasy of having a powerful beautiful superhero type man love her unconditionally forever wub.png , because she never had a man love her like that.  And I see that plain as day but she doesn't.  It's the same reason she reads romance novels.  Fantasy.  One time she was describing how she believe that Jesus looked when he walked the earth according to her beliefs.  He was "rustic" or something like that.  Strong, some stubble on the face perhaps.  She never used the word ugly.  That would ruin the fantasy. 

As for me I used to look forward to heaven because first of all I thought I was getting a sweet deal at not going to hell.  Secondly they told me it is perfect and "ever-increasing happiness forever."  Ever-increasing happiness forever?  How does that work?  But again...it's fantasy.  Since you don't find out too much about heaven in the bible as a Christain, you begin fantasizing, filling in the blanks with your own imagination.  Whatever "perfect" means to you.  The more I read the bible the less I desired it's heaven.  It reminded me of life in the book "the Giver" where the society had chosen Sameness, meaning everyone needs to act the same and believe the same, and sexual feelings are taken away with medications.  The boy ends up having to run away from it all, just as I would have to run away if I found myself in the biblical heaven. 

I don't get the whole 72 virgins in paradise thing. Being stuck forever with 72 women for eternity? That's hell, isn't it?

slave2sex,,,, you don't get 72 virgins in christian heaven, wrong door,,,,

you will get 72 christian virgins in the islamic heaven probably,,,,

and can be only use once,,,,,,

heaven: singing hallelujah non-stop like a broken down CD??????

When I look at the description of heaven as described in the bible I just can't imagine how anybody could desire to go there!  Freaks me the hell out!  You've got a place with no nighttime, no sea, no marriage, no sex, apparently no fashion (white robes, apparently), and of course ruled by a dictator.  And to top it all off, the Apostle Paul will be there.  Forever.  For the life of me I just cannot see how a Christian could study heaven as depicted in the bible, and actually want to go there.  The only good thing I could find was the "no tears, no pain" part.  Other than that it sounds downright creepy.  Cryotanknotworthy.gif Cryotanknotworthy.gif Cryotanknotworthy.gif  As an agnostic I fear that it exists and that I'll end up there.  Theres no way I'd be happy there. 

I have other destinations planned.

Rather be with 72 nymphos.

• Like 1

Yeah, I feel sorry for the 72nd virgin. Like getting picked last for the high school baseball team. 

Of course, this fantasy only works if you think of women like slaves or robots, because why would all 72 just want to be with you for eternity, sharing you with 71 other women? I mean... ew. 

• Like 2

Hell is great this time of the year. Nice and warm, all the nymphos you want :P

And best of all, free entry zDuivel7.gif

• Like 1

I heard this on the radio the other day.  A preacher promised that heaven would be great because everybody would be just like Jesus, and they would do nothing but praise god continually because that is all they would want to do because it would be so beautiful.  

Eternity.  Just keep doing that for eternity.

And god's role for all eternity is to sit on his throne and bask in the praise.

That sounds so flipping, eternally insane.

Whoever thought this up when they wrote the bible should have thought this through better to make it more appealing.

Yeah, I feel sorry for the 72nd virgin. Like getting picked last for the high school baseball team. 

Of course, this fantasy only works if you think of women like slaves or robots, because why would all 72 just want to be with you for eternity, sharing you with 71 other women? I mean... ew. 

and with my luck it will be 72 other guys just like me all asking where the women are.

Me: "Hey guys, where are all the women?"

Guy number one: "Yeah what the hell, this wasn't what was promised."

So we all storm to find out what's going on.

Guy number 36 to clerk: "Hey what's this. Where's the women?"

Random clerk: "Sorry dude, why would there be women here?"

All of us: "The holy koran said there will be!!!!!"

Random clerk: "Yeah, you probably didn't read that right? Who translated that for you guys?"

All of us: "God dammit errr rather allah dammit!!!!"

Random clerk laughing: "Wait what you guys though there would be ha ha 72 virgins for each of you ha ha here to please you guys ha ha. "

All of us standing awkwardly around: "Er well..."

Random clerk laughing: "Where would we find enough women ha ha and then virgin ones ha ha. Is that even still a thing ha ha virginity ha ha"

Guy number 39: "Erm so what happens now?"

Random clerk laughing: "Start praising dude. You have all eternity. Start praising."

• Super Moderator

I don't care how beautiful and perfect it is, after about the first 10,000 years or so, it's going to be BORING!  That's just the law of diminishing returns.

For me it was more my intrinsic sense of self preservation. I don't want to die, I fear death and particularly in the United States, death is almost a taboo subject that we avoid talking about or dealing with. So, when a young, gullible, scared RogueScholar is offered a way of not dying, not having to think about the possibility of this scary and tabooish issue, I jumped on it as many young and impressionable people often due when they experience religious indoctrination. Unfortunately, this made deconversion a painful, terrifying and sometimes hopeless experience. It probably sounds pitiful to some, but it was a truly painful experience.

Heaven, as depicted in the Bible, doesn't sound much different than living in North Korea.

• Like 5

How does that work anyways? If you deflower one of them, do they disappear and a new virgin reappears? It has to, otherwise you don't actually have 72 virgins for eternity, do you? Unless you never got to boink them.

No matter how you look at it, sounds awful to me.

slave2sex,,,, you don't get 72 virgins in christian heaven, wrong door,,,,

you will get 72 christian virgins in the islamic heaven probably,,,,

and can be only use once,,,,,,

heaven: singing hallelujah non-stop like a broken down CD??????

Yes. I'm aware of this. I am an ex Christian, not an ex-bombderware fashion model.

The promise of Heaven scares me a lot more than the fear of Hell. Since God allows evil and suffering to exist so that Man can have Free Will, there can be no Free Will in Heaven. Just mindless robots praising God forever. To Hell with that.

Mindless minions singing....heaven could be like this:

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

The carrot offered to believers is never literally described; language can only hint at the indescribable peace and contentment that awaits the faithful. To some it's very roughly represented by 72 virgins, though that's not part of the Koran, and to others gold represents great abundance and contentment. Heaven = goodness and reward; Hell = evil and punishment. That's all we can really deduce from the texts.