Goodbye Jesus

Why Do Christians Want To Go To Heaven?

rach

Guest OldSeer

When I look at the description of heaven as described in the bible I just can't imagine how anybody could desire to go there!  Freaks me the hell out!  You've got a place with no nighttime, no sea, no marriage, no sex, apparently no fashion (white robes, apparently), and of course ruled by a dictator.  And to top it all off, the Apostle Paul will be there.  Forever.  For the life of me I just cannot see how a Christian could study heaven as depicted in the bible, and actually want to go there.  The only good thing I could find was the "no tears, no pain" part.  Other than that it sounds downright creepy.  Cryotanknotworthy.gif Cryotanknotworthy.gif Cryotanknotworthy.gif  As an agnostic I fear that it exists and that I'll end up there.  Theres no way I'd be happy there. 

I'm not sure that the book states that anyone goes to heaven. I,ll have to check. Heaven is something one acquires, but there again, all have one. So acquiring heaven means one acquires a specific one. (sounds nuts don't it). Everyone's heaven is made up of items that one has high regard for. It's the place of the "stars", the things that light up you life, the things that turn you on---your girl/boy/she/him/it/other/pick you own/  friend. It;'s the place in your person that makes you happy and the things one draws their happiness from. OK---There came a new heaven and a new earth (rev). That means that there will be a change in what makes one happy, and a new soul/person. JC's heaven is not the same as the worlds heaven. So, what the book means is that "his" is acquired and the old is put away--the old person is dead and the new lives--it's nothing more then a changing of the mind/person. Happiness is found in a new world. Many things that make us happy now will be the same--but those that cause problems will be removed---but removed by the the person making a concious choice as "what" to remove. It''l be a personal decision. In some people's heaven war makes them happy, so then, war is exchanged for peace and peace becomes one of that person's stars.

When I look at the description of heaven as described in the bible I just can't imagine how anybody could desire to go there!  Freaks me the hell out!  You've got a place with no nighttime, no sea, no marriage, no sex, apparently no fashion (white robes, apparently), and of course ruled by a dictator.  And to top it all off, the Apostle Paul will be there.  Forever.  For the life of me I just cannot see how a Christian could study heaven as depicted in the bible, and actually want to go there.  The only good thing I could find was the "no tears, no pain" part.  Other than that it sounds downright creepy.  Cryotanknotworthy.gif Cryotanknotworthy.gif Cryotanknotworthy.gif  As an agnostic I fear that it exists and that I'll end up there.  Theres no way I'd be happy there. 

I'm not sure that the book states that anyone goes to heaven. I,ll have to check. Heaven is something one acquires, but there again, all have one. So acquiring heaven means one acquires a specific one. (sounds nuts don't it). Everyone's heaven is made up of items that one has high regard for. It's the place of the "stars", the things that light up you life, the things that turn you on---your girl/boy/she/him/it/other/pick you own/  friend. It;'s the place in your person that makes you happy and the things one draws their happiness from. OK---There came a new heaven and a new earth (rev). That means that there will be a change in what makes one happy, and a new soul/person. JC's heaven is not the same as the worlds heaven. So, what the book means is that "his" is acquired and the old is put away--the old person is dead and the new lives--it's nothing more then a changing of the mind/person. Happiness is found in a new world. Many things that make us happy now will be the same--but those that cause problems will be removed---but removed by the the person making a concious choice as "what" to remove. It''l be a personal decision. In some people's heaven war makes them happy, so then, war is exchanged for peace and peace becomes one of that person's stars.

http://i.imgur.com/mBeBYbe.jpg

Given the way most christians avoid spending too much time at church worshiping gawd and whip out of the parking lot I am not sure why they think they will enjoy an eternity worshiping "at his feet".   

One thing I did hope for when I believed the whole thing was to finally get the answers to what made up the universe.  Was there other life?   Tell me about all the planets.   Like gawd was going to hold seminars on the topic after lunch each day.   

Also, some of my fans don't want to miss out on spending eternity WITH ME!!!!!

Oh, we will be just fine in hell then, I assure you.

*bangs on the gates of hell* "Let me in! Please, let me in!" An eternity with you chrisassaf, oh godWendybanghead.gif

LOL rach. :D

Guest OldSeer

I heard this on the radio the other day.  A preacher promised that heaven would be great because everybody would be just like Jesus, and they would do nothing but praise god continually because that is all they would want to do because it would be so beautiful.  

Eternity.  Just keep doing that for eternity.

And god's role for all eternity is to sit on his throne and bask in the praise.

That sounds so flipping, eternally insane.

Whoever thought this up when they wrote the bible should have thought this through better to make it more appealing.

There;s nothing as such in the book that I know of. That fella is a fanatic, and knows not what of he teaches. His type is what's wrong with the world.

• Super Moderator

I heard this on the radio the other day.  A preacher promised that heaven would be great because everybody would be just like Jesus, and they would do nothing but praise god continually because that is all they would want to do because it would be so beautiful.  

Eternity.  Just keep doing that for eternity.

And god's role for all eternity is to sit on his throne and bask in the praise.

That sounds so flipping, eternally insane.

Whoever thought this up when they wrote the bible should have thought this through better to make it more appealing.

There;s nothing as such in the book that I know of. That fella is a fanatic, and knows not what of he teaches. His type is what's wrong with the world.

Irony overload...

• Like 1

I think, for me, it's the fact that I want to be one of the chosen ones. One of those who has loyalty to a person, being or cause. The loved ones idea is probably secondary to that.

You want to go to heaven so you can feel special?

I think so because the conception of heaven I had was the one described in Revelation, where God was being worshiped all the time and we got to sit around and have fellowship with God at the great feast in the book of Revelation. I never really had that "loved ones will meet me in heaven" conception.