Goodbye Jesus

The Divorce Letter

TheRedneckProfessor

I hear you.  At least with this one I don't have to hire any lawyers.rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Breaking up is hard to do........

Excellent letter Redneck!!  Sad......

Jesus deserves to be dumped by text.  Most people don't, but Jesus earned it.

• Like 1

do you get to spilt the assets in vatican city? 50/50?

There comes a point when we've waited long enough, and we just have to leave it. 

One of the most nerve-wrecking things for me was some silly Christian quote that said...and I wish I could find the exact quote it was Corrie Ten Boom or Helen Keller maybe....but the quote said that just when things were at their worst, and you couldn't take it anymore, or just when the night was the very darkest, that is when God would arrive and save the day. 

Well I waited till I couldn't take it anymore. And then years beyond that.  And then years beyond that. 

I waited till midnight.  And the skies got darker they didn't lighten. 

And Jesus, fuck, I've had enough of you and youre damned dad. 

• Like 3

And Jesus, fuck, I've had enough of you and your damned dad. 

And all your wretched brothers and sisters in christ.

• Super Moderator

Jesus deserves to be dumped by text.  Most people don't, but Jesus earned it.

I see your point, but that was such an all-encompassing, 30 year relationship for me that a text alone would not have given me a significant enough sense of closure.  For me, nothing would have sufficed but to say exactly how I felt about the whole thing.  In fact, I said some pretty horrible things to jesus there at the end--truly hurtful and nasty things--that might have devastated the man, had he actually existed.

• Like 1

Good gawd, at first I thought you were breaking up with someone really important, like your wife.   Well done, indeed.   bill

• Like 2

Bill... "someone really important"!  yelrotflmao.gif

• Like 1

What kind of god would give someone who wants a relationship with it nothing but silence? What kind of god would allow someone to suffer at the hands of its followers and do nothing but watch it all go down? What kind of god would demand you worship it all the time and give you nothing in return, or else? A god that doesn't deserve to be worshipped, that's what. He and his followers have done enough damage, he doesn't deserve another minute of your time. Gods always behave like the ones who created them anyway.

And Jesus, fuck, I've had enough of you and your damned dad. 

And all your wretched brothers and sisters in christ.

Same here. Those "brothers and sisters in christ" were some of the most loathsome, cruel, dishonest, selfish people I've ever had the misfortune of meeting.

• Like 3

Beautiful and tragic at the same time.  You have painted what I am going through right now, Professor.  I think it's called the point of no return.  I still feel those pangs of longing to go back to my comfortable, bobble-headed existence of believing.  I see other people who are quite happy and content with their life of faith.  But I can't do that anymore.  I am not like them!  That has been the problem, 

I always wanted to be like them and I have failed.  I need to find out exactly who I am and be content with that.  Still on that journey.....

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

Beautiful and tragic at the same time.  You have painted what I am going through right now, Professor.  I think it's called the point of no return.  I still feel those pangs of longing to go back to my comfortable, bobble-headed existence of believing.  I see other people who are quite happy and content with their life of faith.  But I can't do that anymore.  I am not like them!  That has been the problem, 

I always wanted to be like them and I have failed.  I need to find out exactly who I am and be content with that.  Still on that journey.....

I was actually surprised how much of those old emotions came flooding back to me while I was writing this; it's been 10 years for me.  You're right, there is a point of no return when you realize the even though you don't yet know who you are, you are definitely certain of who you are not.  I'm glad you're with us, now, Woodsy.

• Like 2

That was also part of my problem. I wanted to be like them too. I would have given anything to have been like them. It tore me up inside knowing I failed from the get-go. What would it take for me to be good enough like they were? I thought they were great at the time, but now I see them for what they were, and I'm glad I failed. I'm glad you did too. It shows that you have a mind of your own, and that you can think for yourself.

The reason you've got that longing for the days of church is b/c it was the path of least resistance. It was familiar to you. Now you've seen religion for what it is, and that's something that churchies will probably never have the courage to do for themselves. Some of them are probably putting on a front to hide how unhappy they really are. That longing will get less with time, and soon it won't even cross your mind. They don't call it a journey for nothing, that's for sure.

• Like 2

I've said this before many times, but it's worth repeating: as soon as I realized that everything that was demanded in a "relationship" with my Father God and my Savior Jesus Christ was EXACTLY what were all warning signs in abusive relationships, it was over. There was no relationship at all, ever. 

In a relationship, if you tell someone you love them, they say "I love you too." If you're hurting and you need them to comfort you, they don't "test" you instead, or take indirect methods to respond because they "know best." If they love you, they build you up, show you respect and honor, and give back as much (hell, even SOME) of the love they're given from us. If you laugh or enjoy something, the person you love doesn't then take it away from you so that you pay more attention to Him. Someone you have a loving relationship with doesn't pile on hurtful, painful, abusive things "for your own good" "to make you stronger." A relationship doesn't mean you spend years struggling with the bleakest depression and self-loathing, but one day, there is a rainbow after it rains and that is supposed to be enough evidence of your "relationship" with the entities who supposedly love you the most, more than even the ones who are actually physically and emotionally present for you.

• Like 4

I've said this before many times, but it's worth repeating: as soon as I realized that everything that was demanded in a "relationship" with my Father God and my Savior Jesus Christ was EXACTLY what were all warning signs in abusive relationships, it was over. There was no relationship at all, ever. 

In a relationship, if you tell someone you love them, they say "I love you too." If you're hurting and you need them to comfort you, they don't "test" you instead, or take indirect methods to respond because they "know best." If they love you, they build you up, show you respect and honor, and give back as much (hell, even SOME) of the love they're given from us. If you laugh or enjoy something, the person you love doesn't then take it away from you so that you pay more attention to Him. Someone you have a loving relationship with doesn't pile on hurtful, painful, abusive things "for your own good" "to make you stronger." A relationship doesn't mean you spend years struggling with the bleakest depression and self-loathing, but one day, there is a rainbow after it rains and that is supposed to be enough evidence of your "relationship" with the entities who supposedly love you the most, more than even the ones who are actually physically and emotionally present for you.

Thank you so much for writing this.  It made me cry because it is so true and I am still hurting.

• Like 4

I feel you, ginger! It gets better. Let it out!

Jesus put us all through abusive, exhausting, and phony relationships. He is the ultimate player.