Goodbye Jesus

How Mental Meds Work

R. S. Martin

I'm not sure where to post this. Time and again we get posts from people who adamant not to take meds for mental conditions. I'm not a doctor, just a layperson whose life is greatly improved by so-called mental meds. I can't work but I can look after myself and my dog and my apartment, which is more than I could do without the meds. 

The way I understand it, the human body is designed to provide all the hormones and stuff that is needed to function well. The normal human adult body should be able to get up in the morning, eat breakfast, go to work, deal with the daily grind of routine and frustrations, go home and deal with the family, go to bed and sleep, feeling refreshed the next morning and ready to repeat the cycle. 

Some of us have thyroids and other body parts that fail to produce the hormones and enzymes or whatever necessary to bounce over the rough spots. We fly off the handle at the slightest provocation, we hear voices, we have all kinds of problems dealing with everyday little bumps and bruises because our bodies fail to produce these special juices and stuff. Or they produce too much of it, Or whatever.

Fortunately, the doctors have figured out how to supplement the body's deficiencies. Psychiatrists are trained to figure out which meds work best for which individual's problems so we can live the most normal lives possible. If we stick by doctor's orders and dosages, there is small chance of getting addicted. So I'm not sure why people are so reluctant to take these meds that would make them feel so much better. 

Some meds do have side-effects but a good doctor will help you weigh the pros and cons--are the side effects easier to live with than the depression you currently have, or the anxiety or voices or whatever? If you can't get out of bed, or if you're going to kill yourself, without the meds, then taking the meds and putting up with a bit of constipation or whatever but being able to hold down a job would be a small price to pay. That's just one example. Your doctor will be able to inform you about the meds he prescribes. Your pharmacist will also be able to advise you.

If you have questions about your condition or the meds prescribed, it is your right to ask questions until you get the answers you need from your doctor and pharmacist. The pharmacist will only have info about meds and their use, not your condition, though pharmacists know what kind of conditions meds are normally prescribed for. If your doctor cannot diagnose your condition ask for referral to a doctor who can.

But this post is about taking the meds once the doctor has prescribed them, or deciding to see a doctor in the first place. My answer: It really is worth it. There's a quality life waiting to be lived. What's keeping you?

• Like 3

I agree. Take your meds. A problem that might come up is that certain medicines won't help a certain person, however, when dealing with mental illness there really is no "happy pill" that can heal your condition away. It always is a process, longer for some, shorter for others, since the causes, conditions and the things that accelerate mental illness are different for each person. I also highly suggest going to a therapy - no psych med in itself is going to provide a long-term benefit. The therapy is where it's at.

Also, don't listen to any "anti-psychiatry" buffs, they're THE worst kind. They'd tell you to NOT TAKE any meds because you are "only suppressing your psyche but the demons won't go away" and "the pills will take your love of live away and put you living in a state of mediocrity until the day you break free". They show a good lack of understanding about how mental meds work, and they for some reason insist that the doctors in charge are all a bunch of lazy bureaucrats who just throw meds around without consideration or even as a state-sanctioned "brainwashing machine". (Then they proceed to discredit themselves utterly by throwing in the nazi card; "NAZIS USED THERAPY TO CONTROL PEOPLE!!!11!") Misdiagnosis and wrong treatment happens in ALL medical care, I think. The doctors are just humans, too, not merely parts of a medical machine.

This exactly. Zoloft has helped me live a normal, happy life again so that I'm not having panic attacks every other minute. You shouldn't really take them unless it's an immediate need or other methods (like therapy) need to be supplemented, but they do wonders. 

• Like 2

Zuker, thanks for your post. That helps me better understand where some people are coming from. It is true that doctors, being human, may have to try a few different kinds of meds for a person before they find the best one. That can be difficult for a person who is already very "down," because some of these meds are geared toward altering moods. If the dose is too low, like it was for me, one thinks, "Doctors can't help." And continues dragging on in life. I continued till I couldn't go on any longer. Finally, a neighbour saw my need and offered moral support to get me to a doctor. It's been a long haul but life is definitely better. Not all conditions are quick fixes. Every case is different but doctors generally do know what they are doing. They are subject to law suits for malpractice if they prescribe inappropriate meds or dangerous dosages. 

I for one am glad these mind altering pharmaceuticals are available for mental health.

They were a life safer for me a few years back.

I was sinking deeper into a very dark depression and I had anxiety combo. I was thinking more and more about suicide it was consuming me and a very scary time for me and I knew I needed help. There was no way I could get myself out of the pit. I was just too far down and I am thankful for the drug that got me out.

I currently am no longer on Ssri's but I have a benzo prescribed to take for anxiety which helps me.

I am managing ok overall and practice self help stuff to keep me up and I keep an eye on the depression. I sometimes think I could be doing a little better but I prefer not to go back on Meds at this time.

I'm doing ok but I would certainly go back on the medication if I felt I was heading downhill again and wasn't able to overcome.

There is no shame in going for professional help and going on medication.

And It doesn't mean we have to take the Meds forever either.

It certainly is worth trying if one is suffering and being tormented. I don't think anyone needs to suffer.

To anyone here who is struggling and can't seem to overcome the problem with natural approach and self help.

Please get professional help if it's available to you.

• Like 1

I have a friend who takes anti anxiety meds and anti depressants, but I think he takes so many meds that it has dulled his faculties. He gets fired from jobs, and I think it's because he is too sedated all the time. And then when he is out of work he gets depressed and anxious and takes more meds, which only makes him even less sharp and less employable. It just keeps spiraling.

I have a friend who takes anti anxiety meds and anti depressants, but I think he takes so many meds that it has dulled his faculties. He gets fired from jobs, and I think it's because he is too sedated all the time. And then when he is out of work he gets depressed and anxious and takes more meds, which only makes him even less sharp and less employable. It just keeps spiraling.

What you describe sounds like he needs some kind of help that he's not getting. Many people need counseling of some sort when they get fired. If he has depression and anxiety issues, there must be other problems in his life, past or present. Like someone said above, just taking drugs/meds alone does not always do the job. But for some of us, counseling alone does not do the job, either. The right combination can be difficult to find because it requires different kinds of doctors.

Psychiatrists and medical doctors/family physicians can prescribe meds but are not well-known for their counseling skills. Psychoanalysts and other professional counselors and therapists specialize in "talk therapy" to help people talk out their problems but they cannot prescribe meds. 

Counselors who do "talk therapy" are seriously expensive but many communities have programs that low income people can access on a sliding scale based on what they can afford to pay, or even for free if needed. It's a way to give coping skills to a person, or help them over a rough spot in life. Many therapists and agencies do "short term" therapy that goes for six to eight sessions. So it's not like you're on it forever just because you sign up. If you need more, possibly it can be extended. Getting the right therapist is also important...I think we've had many threads on here about this. Just thought I'd touch on it since your friend seems to be in such desperate circumstances. Possibly he needs something else such as a health diet or exercise program. Whatever he needs, I hope things will work for the better eventually.

Without meds I very much doubt I would still be alive. It took several years but finally the right combo was found. Going through the side effects of some meds was tough, and others didn't help, while a few actually made me worse. Scientific understanding of the brain is still in its infancy and everyones brain reacts a little differently so it is not as simple as prescribing antibiotics. In the past I used to believe that psychiatric meds and treatment was plain evil but I am so glad I opened my mind and went into treatment. Professional psychiatric treatment is a lot more than just meds but meds often are crucial to its success. Words cannot describe how different my life is (for the better) since I entered into, engaged with and worked hard with the treatment I received from my therapist and my psychiatrist. I would encourage anyone who is in desperate need but frightened of therapy and/or medication to seek a health professional you can trust. It may take some doctor shopping but your life is worth it. 

• Like 2

I am sure I have undiagnosed OCD or ADD or some other acronym.  I don't think I would ever take meds for it though, for a few reasons.  For one, I don't want the myriad of side effects that seem to amplify what my issues already are.  I don't need a medicine to give me suicidal thoughts, I get them on my own fine.  Then there is always some drug that has to be recalled because the FDA was bribed rushed to get it to market and thousands of people now need new livers or heart valves.  And lastly, I have learned to self medicate with natural remedies that have been used in ancient Chinese medicine for thousands of years.  Its not perfect, but it keeps me level and I am not lining the pockets of some CEO selling a pill for $300 that cost them $15 to make...

It's the same thinking that makes me use sugar, despite added calories and risk of diabetes, over chemical sweeteners.

I am sure I have undiagnosed OCD or ADD or some other acronym.  I don't think I would ever take meds for it though, for a few reasons.  For one, I don't want the myriad of side effects that seem to amplify what my issues already are.  I don't need a medicine to give me suicidal thoughts, I get them on my own fine.  Then there is always some drug that has to be recalled because the FDA was bribed rushed to get it to market and thousands of people now need new livers or heart valves.  And lastly, I have learned to self medicate with natural remedies that have been used in ancient Chinese medicine for thousands of years.  Its not perfect, but it keeps me level and I am not lining the pockets of some CEO selling a pill for $300 that cost them $15 to make...

It's the same thinking that makes me use sugar, despite added calories and risk of diabetes, over chemical sweeteners.

From what I read of your posts, you are able to cope with life, hold down a job or have your own business or something. That's different from some of us, as you can see in the posts above.

The more severe end of mental illnesses, such as bipolar (which I have) are incredibly destructive to peoples lives. No natural treatment can touch it. Trust me, I tried very hard to not have to take medication. I had to be physically (then chemically) restrained to stop me from killing myself on several occasions. My brain was out of control and the torment was unbearable. It is far worse than mild depression or anxiety which can be treated without meds. It is impossible to function when I am unwell. Thankfully I am now stable on meds. The positive change in my life since I have been on my current meds has been amazing. Therapy and looking after my health has made a big contribution but I would still be a mess without the meds.

For milder cases some people find great help from natural remedies but it concerns me when people then say that everyone should avoid medication. When you have a severe mental illness a combination of medical and natural remedies is the best way to go. I am fully aware of the kick-backs some doctors get for prescribing, and all the other corrupt activities surrounding it but I have discovered that some of the medications work damn well. I think most people with mental health issues can manage it without meds but I am concerned those with more serious issues who need meds will be too paranoid to try them. (as I used to be) A more balanced approach is needed. 

• Like 3

I have OCD and panic disorder and meds have been a life saver for me literally but I have had problems with some of them but I am so glad that I have the ones that I do have.  

I forgot to add that I do therapy as well and find the combination of both important because the meds heal the symptoms but they don't heal the underlying trauma if that makes sense.  

• Like 1

Aprilshowers,

Willkomen zum Ex-C.  Ich sehe dass Sie sind von Deutchland.  Wir haben einige Menchen aus Deutchland hier.  Andreas Bolle, Thurisaz and ein paar andre.

Und aus der Schweiz... :)

Aprilshowers,

Willkomen zum Ex-C.  Ich sehe dass Sie sind von Deutchland.  Wir haben einige Menchen aus Deutchland hier.  Andreas Bolle, Thurisaz and ein paar andre.

Und aus der Schweiz... smile.png

3.gif

That last emoticon looks like it's giving the finger.  Threw me until I put the German through a translator.

I take my meds on schedule also, they have helped me manage bi-polar and anxiety conditions, and depression.  It was many years that I resisted with a sort of Darwinian philosophy that if we need meds we're not fit to survive, so I resisted.  Now, after experiencing lithium (the main, natural supplement they prescribe for bi-polar), I hope to never see the lithium-deficient me again, ever.  

Side effects can be severe, even with lithium.  Too much of it is toxic.  It's a balancing act.  I think the case pointed out by Chikirin:

...is a testament to what can go wrong with meds, a risk of not properly managing them, combined with not getting proper care in therapy.  This guy would benefit from therapy as well as better management of his meds and moods.  His getting fired is something that needs investigation.  I have that same problem with jobs, but have recently found a program for the disabled that helps find AND KEEP jobs with counseling.  I'm hopeful, but with my track record not too unrealistically hopeful.  I could still get fired or quit a good job.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest ninurta

I had a friend who died on one of these meds, because of one of the poorly understood sideeffects, and the fact that they weren't supposed to be using certain ones on teenagers. To add to that, these aren't meant to correct problems, but to help you to learn the skills you need to cope often.

I go on and off meds from time to time. I don't always need them. They don't fix the problem, but they help me to manage my symptoms. Meds aren't the only solution to mental health problems though.

Fortunately, the doctors have figured out how to supplement the body's deficiencies. Psychiatrists are trained to figure out which meds work best for which individual's problems so we can live the most normal lives possible. If we stick by doctor's orders and dosages, there is small chance of getting addicted. So I'm not sure why people are so reluctant to take these meds that would make them feel so much better. 

But this post is about taking the meds once the doctor has prescribed them, or deciding to see a doctor in the first place. My answer: It really is worth it. There's a quality life waiting to be lived. What's keeping you?

Addiction is not a risk with most meds, but for the ones that do have that risk, doctors will always tell you and discuss with you what to do about it.

I had a friend who died on one of these meds, because of one of the poorly understood sideeffects, and the fact that they weren't supposed to be using certain ones on teenagers. To add to that, these aren't meant to correct problems, but to help you to learn the skills you need to cope often.

I go on and off meds from time to time. I don't always need them. They don't fix the problem, but they help me to manage my symptoms. Meds aren't the only solution to mental health problems though.

I tried going into the wilderness for a year.  It was a hell of an experience through a Wisconsin winter, but it really did't help to manage my mental illness.  It didn't even help me escape normal people.  There isn't any real wilderness in Wisconsin.  It's all colonized.  What else have you got?

I was on an SSRI whose side effects were worse on me than my initial anxiety symptoms. The psychiatrist told me to stick it out because the side effects were ones that went away after a few weeks for most people. Some of the side effects subsided but the medicine made me dull and emotionally non-responsive while not getting rid of the anxiety. So I was put on the lowest dose and tapered off. Over a month later, I'm still having withdrawal symptoms that I was told go away after a few weeks for most people. Again, the withdrawal is worse on me than the initial anxiety that was the reason for the medication. I'm afraid that my quality of life will be reduced for years or forever because of a medication that I'm not even taking anymore.

It's not completely understood how psychological medications work on the brain. Because of this and because of my experience, I won't agree to medication again unless I am in a state where I can no longer function on my own or am an active danger to myself and/or others. I'd rather tough out the anxiety and try to get help through counseling than risk going through a similar situation to the one I'm in now. I would never discourage someone from using meds that are helpful for them, and I would look into going on meds again myself if I were in a situation where I was really having trouble functioning on a day to day basis.

• Like 1

I am one who was much improved by medication. I believe the medical field will continue to improve meds and therapy. Nothing works for everybody, but if you have depression as severe as I did you will try meds or go crazy. I tried many different kinds over several years and those years were definitely a pain in the ass. But I kept at it because I asked myself repeatedly what else can I do? Nothing other than electric shock therapy. Finally a doctor prescribed the right combination of drugs for me. It was worth

the effort.   

Thanks for posting this R.S. Martin. It's an important subject. bill

Guest ninurta

I tried going into the wilderness for a year.  It was a hell of an experience through a Wisconsin winter, but it really did't help to manage my mental illness.  It didn't even help me escape normal people.  There isn't any real wilderness in Wisconsin.  It's all colonized.  What else have you got?

I'm just trying to find the stress difference between wilderness and civilization survival, they both seem pretty stressful to me. I've tried both. Honestly, CBT and DBT worked more for me than the meds did. Even more so, did understanding my symptoms and trying to work with them and around them. Sure, you'll have to go back on meds for a little while from time to time if you can't manage them, but it works. That and making dietary changes, as certain foods can actually make your symptoms worse.

I was on an SSRI whose side effects were worse on me than my initial anxiety symptoms. The psychiatrist told me to stick it out because the side effects were ones that went away after a few weeks for most people. Some of the side effects subsided but the medicine made me dull and emotionally non-responsive while not getting rid of the anxiety. So I was put on the lowest dose and tapered off. Over a month later, I'm still having withdrawal symptoms that I was told go away after a few weeks for most people. Again, the withdrawal is worse on me than the initial anxiety that was the reason for the medication. I'm afraid that my quality of life will be reduced for years or forever because of a medication that I'm not even taking anymore.

It's not completely understood how psychological medications work on the brain. Because of this and because of my experience, I won't agree to medication again unless I am in a state where I can no longer function on my own or am an active danger to myself and/or others. I'd rather tough out the anxiety and try to get help through counseling than risk going through a similar situation to the one I'm in now. I would never discourage someone from using meds that are helpful for them, and I would look into going on meds again myself if I were in a situation where I was really having trouble functioning on a day to day basis.

Did you try lower doses? Yeah, unfortunately its a common effect for it to make people feel dull or tired or lethargic. I do think learning better relapse prevention and symptom management skills would help.

I am one who was much improved by medication. I believe the medical field will continue to improve meds and therapy. Nothing works for everybody, but if you have depression as severe as I did you will try meds or go crazy. I tried many different kinds over several years and those years were definitely a pain in the ass. But I kept at it because I asked myself repeatedly what else can I do? Nothing other than electric shock therapy. Finally a doctor prescribed the right combination of drugs for me. It was worth

the effort.   

Thanks for posting this R.S. Martin. It's an important subject. bill

I'm glad you found what works for you. I'm by no means discouraging the use of medications in therapy.

• Like 1

What's keeping you?

Meds are one tool in a very large toolbox. You appear to ask this rhetorically rather than with genuine curiosity-- I think you want to convince rather than learn in this thread-- so, I will just say that there are people who are doing quite well using a different toolset than you have chosen. I'm not judging your journey with pharmaceuticals as wrong, but it is just one of many helpful options to chose from for many who struggle with mental illnesses.

With physical diseases, you can draw blood and determine if a person is deficient in something, or if there's an imbalance.

But with mental diseases you can't do that. A doctor can't directly test if you have a chemical imbalance. They can't draw fluids and measure how much serotonin you've got flowing in your brain. All they can do is have you complete a questionnaire -- that's their only means of diagnosis.