Goodbye Jesus

45 Things I Learned At The Creation Museum

SilentLoner

Backstory: I went to the Creation Museum in Petersburg, Ky., for the Bill Nye–Ken Ham debate. First off, the museum is HUGE. It’s also REALLY nice. Like one of the nicest museums I’ve ever been to. It took me over three hours to go through it. Through the course of those three hours, I learned just about everything I could possibly ever want to know about creationism. Here, in convenient list form, is everything I learned.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/things-i-learned-at-the-creation-museum?bffb

"The insect exhibit had all of these placards that say to THINK CRITICALLY about the issues."

49.gif 

Thank you for posting this. 

You know, as much as I admire Dawkins for... being right about evolution?... I'm mad that he started this idea that we should just ignore creationists and not bother debating them or continually pointing out that they are definitively dead wrong. 

Again, if you ignore an epidemic, it just spreads. Those of us who have seen and accepted the truth owe it to the next generation to loudly and continually refute the lies that have been allowed to spring up unchallenged and keep proclaiming the truth until it reaches everyone. 

People can say it's not our responsibility or it's none of our business, but when it invades the public school classroom and politics... it IS our business. And we can't stay silent. 

I'm hopeful that the Nye / Ham debate opened the doors for more discourse. It's badly needed, and severely lacking right now. We could blow them all right out of the water with facts, evidence, information, and logic if we all realize that it's absolutely worth our while to engage. We can't let a new generation be brainwashed without challenging it. We can't. And these fundamentalist Christians (who are also anti-birth control) are popping out 10 kids or more sometimes while the rest of us are having zero to three. So let's not give up this battle because that would allow them to win the war.

If intelligent people stop speaking up, stupid wins. 

• Like 4

I mean... WAKE UP... because the argument that debating them just lends credibility or gives them validity....

Hello? 43% of Americans believe this junk science creation myth. They already have huge numbers of people buying into this garbage. It's not some fringe group or radical weirdos. It's MAINSTREAM because we allowed it to go unchallenged for far too long already. Enough is enough.

• Like 2

While I am in favor of religion being a spiritual and personal truth, but when someone starts claiming it to be TRUTH that is when we should call bullshit on it, if it does not hold up to scrutiny. People get stuck in their bubbles and become radicalized without exposure to alternative point of views, popping the information bubble is always a good thing in my book.

Thank you for posting this. 

You know, as much as I admire Dawkins for... being right about evolution?... I'm mad that he started this idea that we should just ignore creationists and not bother debating them or continually pointing out that they are definitively dead wrong. 

Again, if you ignore an epidemic, it just spreads. Those of us who have seen and accepted the truth owe it to the next generation to loudly and continually refute the lies that have been allowed to spring up unchallenged and keep proclaiming the truth until it reaches everyone. 

People can say it's not our responsibility or it's none of our business, but when it invades the public school classroom and politics... it IS our business. And we can't stay silent. 

If intelligent people stop speaking up, stupid wins. 

clap.gif

I've recognized this for a long time. People say, "What harm is there in religion? Let them believe it if it makes them feel good." 

The harm is the constant, incessant, never ending attack on science, reality, education, and rationality that American Christianity fosters. They are engaged in a 24/7 battle for the hearts and minds of the people, while the tiny minority of biologists and geologists sit in their college classrooms and cozy jobs in the lab, refusing to get involved. Who is going to win that battle? Not science. The ratio of fervent church goers to biology students must be something like 50,000 to 1. 

Sadly, these "debates" must go on. It is the only chance most of these people have of actually being exposed to facts and reality. If these debates don't continue, creationism WILL win and it WILL be taught in public schools. 

• Like 5

I don't like the idea that when Ken Ham dies, he will die with his delusions intact and will never experience a moment of realizing how crazy-stupid-wrong he was. I wish he could see this somehow. Hurry up, someone, and invent the time machine so we can go back and show this legion of YEC morons how ashamed they should be of themselves.

Of course, even if we could time travel back and show them how wrong they are, they probably wouldn't accept it anyway.

"The insect exhibit had all of these placards that say to THINK CRITICALLY about the issues."

49.gif

I notice that the conservative Christian movement likes to co-opt phrases that are usually used against them, even though they clearly don't understand what they mean. See also: "family values," "cognitive dissonance," "pro-life," and "pro-women."

I don't like the idea that when Ken Ham dies, he will die with his delusions intact and will never experience a moment of realizing how crazy-stupid-wrong he was. I wish he could see this somehow. Hurry up, someone, and invent the time machine so we can go back and show this legion of YEC morons how ashamed they should be of themselves.

Of course, even if we could time travel back and show them how wrong they are, they probably wouldn't accept it anyway.

Damn right.  If I had a time machine, the first thing I would do was cram it full of yecs and set it for 4005 BCE.  Then I'd leave them there.

Ok, fine I'll bring them back.  What would be fun would be watching them talking with the ancient people (provided they could learn the language) and saying something like "Do not be deceived.  You do not actually exist.  God hasn't created you yet."

Damn right.  If I had a time machine, the first thing I would do was cram it full of yecs and set it for 4005 BCE.  Then I'd leave them there.

Ok, fine I'll bring them back.  What would be fun would be watching them talking with the ancient people (provided they could learn the language) and saying something like "Do not be deceived.  You do not actually exist.  God hasn't created you yet."

It wouldn't matter--they'd come up with some excuse to explain the contradiction between what they observed and what they believe to be true in Genesis; e.g. God set up the "appearance" of a creation before 4004 BCE, just for the time traveler.  Falsifiability is not exactly a hallmark of creationism.

The harm is the constant, incessant, never ending attack on science, reality, education, and rationality that American Christianity fosters. They are engaged in a 24/7 battle for the hearts and minds of the people, while the tiny minority of biologists and geologists sit in their college classrooms and cozy jobs in the lab, refusing to get involved. Who is going to win that battle? Not science. The ratio of fervent church goers to biology students must be something like 50,000 to 1. 

Does anyone remember when scientists used to be considered the most knowledgeable people with regards to their field of study?  When it was taken for granted that their education, experience and methodology made them the best representatives for explaining to the rest of us the way the world likely works?  Now creationist "scientists" think they have a better grasp of this kind of knowledge, and all too many people are more than satisfied to go along with that.  So then what is the value of legitimate learned study and expertise?  If everyone can claim to be an expert, then nobody's an expert.

This guy Ken Hamm. I mean... he is saying that animals or mammals floated on rafts to get to various continents. Now you are proving the bible veracity by making stuff up to support it. How is this rational?

I think it is responsible to address biblical history when there are too many horrified children right now contemplating the concept of hell and how that can never meet the high mark of the bible. I would just let them have their beliefs otherwise.

I think all YECs should be put on "rafts" and sent out to sea, too.

Yeah, we get some snow this winter and people say that scientists are frauds for proclaiming the dangers of global warming (i.e. the aspect of climate change caused by emissions from human industrial processes).