Goodbye Jesus

How Do I Keep In Touch With My Soul? I Feel Like It's Died.

TotalWreck

TotalWreck - being without a partner gives you an amazing opportunity to find out who YOU really are.

I feel the same way, kind of like an orange with all the juice sucked out of it. After losing christianity I still had my family, then my kid stopped talking to me. I feel like everything that has kept me alive is gone. I'm like a shadow these days, I feel like I might blow away in the wind.

Galien, you've been de-converted for quite a while haven't you?

Yes, it started in about 2007 I think then just took on a life of its own. An estrangement with my kid over the past 12 months has made everything worse. It is like both of my main foundations in life have fallen apart. I am lucky I have a kind, loving partner, but not even that is holding me together this time. I guess its just too much to lose.

I'm sorry, Galien.  I don't have kids so I'm not sure how to comfort you in this one.  All I can do is hugs, but I'm not very good at those.

TotalWreck - being without a partner gives you an amazing opportunity to find out who YOU really are.

This is true.  That's one of the crazy things I did to get in touch with the soul again, I went celibate for 7 years straight, deliberately.  Passed up on some real winners too.  But it worked for figuring out who I was.

This is true.  That's one of the crazy things I did to get in touch with the soul again, I went celibate for 7 years straight, deliberately.  Passed up on some real winners too.  But it worked for figuring out who I was.

Good points, Deva and Voice.

Although I always enjoyed solitude, for much of my life I felt incomplete and rejected if I wasn't part of a couple. Of course, that led to being in shitty relationships! One year, I forced myself to face myself, just me, deliberately alone. (I took to the woods like Thoreau, which helped; but one could do the same anywhere.)

I was terrified. At first I felt worthless. How could life have meaning without somebody to love and share with? Then sometime in that year -- I couldn't tell you when or how -- I discovered I was having the time of my life. I'd never been happier. Never been more truly ME. Never been more in touch with my geniune inner self.

• Like 1

I want to revise the time frame of mine.  For 2 years at the beginning celibacy was forced on me, that's when I was a christian.  I realized at that time that all I wanted was a partner and no amount of prayers to God would bring me one.  The last 5 years were by choice, after I de-converted.  I didn't enjoy it as much as MerryG, but it was what I needed to figure things out.  Now I realize that I want 10 partners.  And no prayers to any god will bring me that.  Such a thing has to happen naturally.

• Like 2

Hello,

Lately, I have felt dead inside; like I've lost my soul.  Ever since I became a non-believer and stopped believing in any kind of god and stopped praying, I feel like I'm just floating through life...like I'm just here and going through the motions.  I feel like a shell of my former self.  Now, I've always dealt with depression, but this is different...this is a spiritual issue.  I don't know how to feel "alive" anymore or peace within myself these days.

Has anyone else ever felt like this before?  What do you do to keep your spirit alive and stay in touch with your soul?  I feel so empty and numb as a non-believer, but I can't go back pretending to believe in something that I don't believe is real.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. smile.png

Hi TotalWreck, what worked for me when I felt like this after deconverting was meditation and learning to read tarot cards. This may be appealing to you or not, but if so, it's challenging and takes your mind off of your depression for awhile. It did for me, anyway. It brought a little fun and mystery back into my life. I'm learning to read tea leaves now also. There is no worship or gods involved, just intuition and creativity. Hang in there, I hope things get better for you.

• Like 1

That's a good way of looking at things.  Still, I get lonely sometimes...sad.png

Although I always enjoyed solitude, for much of my life I felt incomplete and rejected if I wasn't part of a couple. Of course, that led to being in shitty relationships! One year, I forced myself to face myself, just me, deliberately alone. (I took to the woods like Thoreau, which helped; but one could do the same anywhere.)

I was terrified. At first I felt worthless. How could life have meaning without somebody to love and share with? Then sometime in that year -- I couldn't tell you when or how -- I discovered I was having the time of my life. I'd never been happier. Never been more truly ME. Never been more in touch with my geniune inner self.

Like you, I've always enjoyed my time alone, but since having deconverted and not believing in a god anymore, I now feel VERY alone a lot of times.  Maybe it's because I feel like I have nothing to show for my life or because I'm not truly happy with things at the moment and it forces me to see things as they are.  I wish I was as strong emotionally as I used to be.

Like you, I've always enjoyed my time alone, but since having deconverted and not believing in a god anymore, I now feel VERY alone a lot of times.  Maybe it's because I feel like I have nothing to show for my life or because I'm not truly happy with things at the moment and it forces me to see things as they are.  I wish I was as strong emotionally as I used to be.

You'll be strong again, TW. You know that emotional strength was always within you and never came from any god.

You've got a head start if you already like solitude (being peacefully with yourself). Do you have or like dogs? Or any companion animals? I found that they helped a lot -- dogs, specifically, because they "made" me get out and walk in the woods.

• Like 2