Goodbye Jesus

Would You Do It

Roz

But isn't faith what supposedly fills that gap?  And if the gap is the perfect administration of christ, and our goal is to fill it, isn't that pretty much the same as faith-based morality?

Or did I misunderstand your point?

The deal is faith fills everyone's gaps....by default.

But isn't faith what supposedly fills that gap?  And if the gap is the perfect administration of christ, and our goal is to fill it, isn't that pretty much the same as faith-based morality?

Who is this everybody? Faith never filled gaps for me. Doesn't fill them for a lot of us.

Who is this everybody? Faith never filled gaps for me. Doesn't fill them for a lot of us.

So you think you make all your decisions everyday based on strictly what you know. Please swim yourself to the deep end of the pool.

So you think you make all your decisions everyday based on strictly what you know. Please swim yourself to the deep end of the pool.

No, I don't think that at all. I make many, many decisions based on something other than knowledge. Of course. But faith is not the only alternative to knowledge. A person can make decisions based on a myriad other things: educated guesswork, instinct, experience, subconscious observations of surroundings, just-try-it-and-see-what-happens, inference from previous data, and more.

Faith is only one limited form of operating within the unknown.

No, I don't think that at all. I make many, many decisions based on something other than knowledge. Of course. But faith is not the only alternative to knowledge. A person can make decisions based on a myriad other things: educated guesswork, instinct, experience, subconscious observations of surroundings, just-try-it-and-see-what-happens, inference from previous data, and more.

potato patato

• Super Moderator

I would argue that faith creates more gaps than it fills.

potato patato

Nonsense. Faith -- the illogical belief in the impossible (thanks, Ambrose Bierce) -- is not at all the same as, say, a process of learning from experience or drawing personal conclusions from incomplete data.

End, your definition of "faith" here encompasses a lot--but then you treat all those "faith" actions as the same. That's sloppy.

I have faith that my wife loves me. This is something I can't necessarily prove, but I have 20-some years of evidence leading me to that conclusion. I feel rock-solid about that.

I have faith that my student tutors are all going to show up for the rest of the semester. I have between a half a year and a year's experience with each of them supporting it, and ten years of working with such people. And one time, my faith was misplaced. But I'm probably right.

I have faith that this book I'm trying to write can sell. I have vague evidence at best leading me to that belief. It could well be wrong.

You apparently have faith that there is a god who is fundamentally good and who is accurately represented in Jesus, despite the fact that a lot of the Bible that claims to reveal this god is inaccurate, contradictory, unreliable, etc. You must have some degree of evidence for that. But it can't compare to the mountain of evidence people have for most of the things they believe, and especially the inquisitive and thoughtful people you're talking with here--who changed their beliefs in ways that were very disruptive to their lives.

If a current day German found some lost writings of Adolph Hitler which we penned in his last days before his death saying I'm now a man of love, love the Jews, love the allied forces, forget Mein Kampf this book supersedes it and fulfills it at the same time, forget the gas chambers and death camps etc would it be right to become a fully fledged Nazi and say oh well the atrocities committed pre '45 were somehow necessary but Hitlers actually not the deranged man he was, see here he's saying he's a lover of humanity etc.

If I followed the new teachings of Hitler can I then say he's a good man and his ways are ways of truth, just forget what happened before this book?

Would that make being a modern day Nazi a good thing?

NO

Ftw! I'm gonna use that. Ohhhhh the Christians will squirm. Its comical. Most people think I'm a Christian on Facebook. I love taking jabs at religion while coming across as still agreeing with it. I actually described god as a psychopathic maniac and they agree! I don't use those words mind you. One day I will use your example and just rip the sheet down. For now though, they are so so stupid. It is astonishing what they agree with if you play jump rope with 'the line'

I think I get what End3's talking about, in fact I've heard it somewhere recently.

What%20Would%20Change%20your%20Mind.jpg

• Like 2

I think I get what End3's talking about, in fact I've heard it somewhere recently.

What%20Would%20Change%20your%20Mind.jpg

Ken Ham - the bible says if you come to god believing that he is, he will reveal himself to you and you will know...

Paraphrased: You must first believe in God in order to deepen your belief-in-God delusion. God's not going to give you any signs or evidence at all.

funny because in bible, jesus shown the apostles a miracle first (miracle of cacthing fishes) before asked them to believe and join him

even god appeared to paul before he became christian

now is the opposite? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No I would not follow the abrahamic "god" in any circumstances, I'd spit in it's face before I'd commit any kind of immoral atrocity, I'd spit in it's face before I'd follow any of it's commands.