Goodbye Jesus

The Bible And Homosexuality

FreeThinkerNZ

Or are Zondervan publishing a "head in sand version" now??

LOL

"Yes.  It says that the God of Israel gave David his master's wives.  That is what the text says.  I am by no means stretching it to mean anything other than the plain reading of it.  Now, you tell me how I am doing it wrong." ironhorse

Well, ironhorse, that's certainly a first for you. Congratulations.  bill

Again...what scripture directly says God condones polygamy?

If you read the link posted...yes, God allowed it at times...but that is not the teaching of scripture.

Well, David took wives and concubines:

2 Sam 5:13

And David took him more concubines and wives out of Jerusalem, after he was come from Hebron: and there were yet sons and daughters born to David.

David was a man after God's own heart, doing right except for one case:

1 Kings 15:5

Because David did that which was right in the eyes of the Lord, and turned not aside from any thing that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.

If David did what was right except for the Uriah incident, then polygamy is fully supported.

Moses had two wives and he was considered dear to God.

Prophecy strongly hints that polygamy would be part of the restoration of Israel.

Isa 4:1

And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.

It certainly appears that God condones polygamy.

That particular context does suggest this being the aftermath of "Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the war. And her gates shall lament and mourn; and she beingdesolate shall sit upon the ground."

The obvious understanding is that there will be so few men left, that women will offer themselves for marriage even without the promise of food and clothing in return. This describes terrible times, after which hints at a restoration of Israel will start being seen. Do read the thing in context.

The context indicates that there will be multiple women available to men.

If you think that this situation cannot apply to the restoration, show exactly why it cannot.

So, Ironhorse, you think god was displeased with King Solomon and his, what was it?, 300 wives and 700 concubines? You think that pissed off god, and god wasn't having any of it--but god didn't say or do a thing about it.

Whereas if some guy touches the arc of the covenant, even in an attempt to keep it from falling over, god can and will kill the guy on the spot.

And if you have the bad luck to be a family member of someone who does something bad, you might get swallowed up by the earth.

But you can have 300 wives and 700 concubines, but god does nothing. Not that he condones it, you see--he just kind of looks the other way.

• Like 2

So, Ironhorse, you think god was displeased with King Solomon and his, what was it?, 300 wives and 700 concubines? You think that pissed off god, and god wasn't having any of it--but god didn't say or do a thing about it.

Whereas if some guy touches the arc of the covenant, even in an attempt to keep it from falling over, god can and will kill the guy on the spot.

And if you have the bad luck to be a family member of someone who does something bad, you might get swallowed up by the earth.

But you can have 300 wives and 700 concubines, but god does nothing. Not that he condones it, you see--he just kind of looks the other way.

Yeah, really.  YHVH sure changes his mind a lot for an unchangeable being.  

God's priorities in the OT:

Having multiple wives and sex slaves = ignore.

Picking up sticks on his day off = stone that bastard!!!

But, oh, I forgot to consider the cultural context. rolleyes.gif . 

• Like 1

But you can have 300 wives and 700 concubines, but god does nothing. Not that he condones it, you see--he just kind of looks the other way.

considering the first married in bible is monogamous (adam and eve)

and even genesis 2:24 said that marriage is monogamous:

"Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."

and we saw that god punished sin with death

then 700 concubines and 300 wives should be punished by death, resurrected, death, resurrected, death, resurrected,......... (until 999 times)

Since my views seem crap to you.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this topic.

How about we agree to disagree on every topic and you can stop polluting the forum with your religion?  Nobody here is going to agree with any of your theology.

Where does the Bible condone polygamy?

Try Ezekiel 23.

Vs. 4 " And the names of them were Aholah the elder, and Aholibah her sister: and they were mine, and they bare sons and daughters. Thus were their names; Samaria is Aholah, and Jerusalem Aholibah."

God is a polygamist in the prophesy God uses to teach God's people.  And the rest of Ez 23 is pure misogyny.  It's awful.  The prophesy uses rape, disfigurement and murder as metaphors.

The load of festering, maggot infested crap that is the buybull lists many things that are a "sin" I've yet to see a church elder stone to death the gossiping, shrimp guzzling, mixed fabric clothed, lying, dolled up like a peacock gluttonous hen that always waddled into my last job. I too always found it funny the buybull picked on gay men. But then again I guess the xtian scum always wanted to breed their BS into control of the world, when murdering innocents didn't work

The load of festering, maggot infested crap that is the buybull lists many things that are a "sin" I've yet to see a church elder stone to death the gossiping, shrimp guzzling, mixed fabric clothed, lying, dolled up like a peacock gluttonous hen that always waddled into my last job. I too always found it funny the buybull picked on gay men. But then again I guess the xtian scum always wanted to breed their BS into control of the world, when murdering innocents didn't work

You're right.  I don't understand why gluttony is so acceptable in christianity, when other sins like homosexuality are not.  I guess the typical christian response is to cite YHVH's extreme hatred of Sodom and Gommorah.  It is stupid, though, that some rules can be broken and some can't.  It just causes more confusion.  

This is so damn funny I can barely type.

IH will say "that verse doesn't DIRECTLY say that!" in this thread.

But in his other thread, he will shuck and jive faster than a christian attempting to deflect his god's command to enslave non-hebrews for life.

When presented by contradicting verses, he will perform apologetic acrobatics to twist words and phrases.

When he demands evidence, he will say "show me how god DIRECTLY condoned this!"

I need more popcorn.

I believe it was IH who demanded we show him where the bible says to kill gay men and, when showed the verse in Leviticus that says "if you lie with a man you shall be put to death", said that it does not actually say you should kill them.  To him, "Put to death" is not the same thing as "kill", unless it serves whatever purpose he needs it to...

• Super Moderator

This may just be the whiskey talking, but if so, I happen to agree with what it's saying.  I had an uncle who was gay.  He was my favorite uncle.  Not because he took me fishing or anything.  He was my favorite because in him I saw a man that the world couldn't grind down.  He was what he was.  He made no excuses or apologies.  He didn't care when people said words like "faggot", "queen", or "queer" to him; he knew they were just ignorant words spoken by ignorant mouths.  He lived his life in a world that was hostile to him; but he lived every minute of every day squeezing his life to the very marrow.  When he died, the world seemed a bit darker to me.

• Like 3

2 Samuel 12:7-8:

Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

Do you think that scripture condones polygamy?

Who gave him the wives Mr. Brainiac?  Is god generally engaged in the practice of giving gifts he doesn't condone?

"Yes.  It says that the God of Israel gave David his master's wives.  That is what the text says.  I am by no means stretching it to mean anything other than the plain reading of it.  Now, you tell me how I am doing it wrong." ironhorse

Well, ironhorse, that's certainly a first for you. Congratulations.  bill

Again...what scripture directly says God condones polygamy?

If you read the link posted...yes, God allowed it at times...but that is not the teaching of scripture.

Oh, I thought god was so perfect that he couldn't allow any sin.  This is why he needed a sacrifice.  Now you're saying that he at times takes a blind eye toward it.  Which is it? 

Also, since the bible doesn't really say what it says it says because it has been falsely or inappropriately interpreted throughout the ages and across languages how is any reasonable person supposed to know what god really wants and where the heck is god's power to preserve his own word in the first place?  Sounds like a pretty feeble god to me who can't even guard a few simple passages of scripture. 

Or, could it just be that there really are contradictions and inconsistencies and you rather than confront them, you rely on mental gymnastics to avoid admitting you were wrong.